• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Analyst view: Sony de-throned, Nintendo crowned in console wars

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryboto

Processor Opteron 170 [2.8ghz@1.4v|1.25ghz@1.025v]
Motherboard Abit AT8 32x
Cooling HR-03, TR Ultra-120, 3xScythe S-Flex
Memory 2gb Crucial Ballistix PC4000
Video Card(s) Ati Radeon X1950 pro
Storage 150 GB WD Raptor/500GB WD
Display(s) Acer AL2032WA 20'' Widescreen LCD
Case Lian Li PC-A05b
Audio Device(s) On board Audio/Plantronics USB Headset
Power Supply Enermax NoiseTaker EG495AX-VE 485W
Software Windows XP SP2 bblean shell/Ubuntu
Wii is made for kids as was the gamecube, nintendo has alwase been about KIDS FIRST, thats just how they are, sega use to be more adult/older kid orented, but since they commited suicide by not giving the dreamcast dvd playback its been left to sony and ms to take over the older player market, neither has done a perfect job but i would take an xbx over anything sony makes just because i know its gonna get better support from the maker.

To say that the company is "kids first" focused is highly ignorant. Please use some tact, support your opinions with real examples.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I guess you got a semi-defective unit, my cousins registers everything...he can basically make the game do whatever he wants. If the quick movements are required, and the games can't read them, then the system is flawed, however, it makes more sense that you're not using it correctly. I never had an issue with the controller in Twilight princess, the sword only swings so fast, you swinging back and forth franticly wouldn't really get much out of Link. Guess you just got a bad unit?

I'm not the only one on my block with a Nintendo Wii, I have experienced the same problems on every one I have used, and it isn't just me experiencing the problems. In fact I have 5 friends that bought the system on launch(we stood in line together to get them actually). We all have the same problems and frustrations. You don't even want to know how many times I have heard "Son of a %&@*#! I swung the stupid thing! Why did he just stand there doing nothing?!?!" during a game of doubles tennis and it wasn't me saying it. All 5 of us complained of the same issues, the controller idea is a great idea, but Nintendo really dropped the ball implementing it and then relied far to heavily on it. I mean come on, it is broken by light! I had to change the bulbs in my livingroom lights from the florecent spiral energy efficient ones back to the original incandecent bulb just to get it to work at all.

The system simply gets gimmick and un-fun far too quickly, IMO. Which is why out of the original 5 friends that bought it that first day, two have sold it, one has given his away to a relative, and another traded theirs for an Xbox360. And the one that still has his is the Nintendo fanboy of the group(every group of gamer friends has one, you know who you are), he still has his Virtualboy, and still claims it's only downfall was that it was too "ahead of its time".

AshenSugar

Processor Athlon64 3500+(2.2gz)@2.94gz(3.03gz)
Motherboard Biostar Tforce550 (RMA) (m2n-sli delux)
Cooling PIB cooler
Memory 2gb ocz 533 +1gb samsung 533 4-4-4-12
Video Card(s) x1900xtx 512mb+zalman vf900 cooler(kicks stock coolers arse)
Storage 80gb,200gb,250gb,160gb
Display(s) 20.1 in dell 2001fp + KDS visual sensations 19"
Case Codegen briza seirse
Audio Device(s) ADI SoundMax HD audio onboard,using Ket's driver pack
Power Supply FSP 400watt SAGA seirse w/noise killer
Software Windows 2003 ent server as workstation(kills xp in perf and stab)
hey dont get mad because you play a consol primarly made for kids, check into nintendos game lineup for past consols, most are made for kids, rarely do you see more mature content, and no im not talking about prOn games, im talking about good shooters, good fight games, non noobish rpg type games, zelda last i saw was still to kiddy for me, the OLD one for new and snes was fun, but it was a kids game, nintendo is marketing at kids primarly, now they are using adults playing games to try and draw adults into playing with the Wii, but its still a consol mostly made for kids, i wasnt saying its a bad thing, thats just the market niche fill and they fill it well, they are trying to get more mature audiance now, and thats koo, infact if thy can get some decent titles for older players that will be great, bring them in line with the xbx/xbx360 insted of the nes,snes,n64,gc type games where 98% of the games put on the consols are for kids and have very little appeal to the avrage older gamer, i mean common "super mario cart" and games of that level are only fun for so long if your not a kid, at least snes has mortal kombat and fatalities, tho the genisis version was better( i had the nes,snes and was given a gc and 50games, i sold them all :) )

im not a consol fan anymore, havent been for years, fight games and coop mode games like halo are the only things that keep me playing consols with friends, and thats more about interacting with another person in a game that dosnt suck then it is about the console being a great platform for it, if i could find good fight games for pc i could play them 1:1 here no problem i got 2 systems more then capable of such.
and...well halo pc sucks.....no coop......poor balance in MP mode........BAD PORT BAD BAD BAD!!!!!

zekrahminator

McLovin
Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Brisbane @ 2.8GHz (224x12.5, 1.425V)
Motherboard Gigabyte sumthin-or-another, it's got an nForce 430
Cooling Dual 120mm case fans front/rear, Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro, Zalman VF-900 on GPU
Memory 2GB G.Skill DDR2 800
Video Card(s) Sapphire X850XT @ 580/600
Storage WD 160 GB SATA hard drive.
Display(s) Hanns G 19" widescreen, 5ms response time, 1440x900
Case Thermaltake Soprano (black with side window).
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Live! 24 bit (paired with X-530 speakers).
Power Supply ThermalTake 430W TR2
Software XP Home SP2, can't wait for Vista SP1.
prOn games!
I want to see someone try to make one....how ever would you get away with doing it? I mean, after you get the Adult Only rating, what would be the plot? Screw all the girls in the least time? Get a girlfriend and keep her? (<--- I like that goal, but only in real life, shouldn't have to resort to games to get that)

Or for hilarity, have sex with the most things (such as horses :p) in the shortest amount of time?

Maybe that's why they don't make any...lol.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
To say that the company is "kids first" focused is highly ignorant. Please use some tact, support your opinions with real examples.

Just take a look at the majority of games released for Nintendo Consoles compared to the ones released on other consoles. Look at the games put out by Nintendo, all the Mario games, I can't even think of an adult oriented game actually made and put out by Nintendo. Can you?

AshenSugar

Cooling PIB cooler
I'm not the only one on my block with a Nintendo Wii, I have experienced the same problems on every one I have used, and it isn't just me experiencing the problems. In fact I have 5 friends that bought the system on launch(we stood in line together to get them actually). We all have the same problems and frustrations. You don't even want to know how many times I have heard "Son of a %&@*#! I swung the stupid thing! Why did he just stand there doing nothing?!?!" during a game of doubles tennis and it wasn't me saying it. All 5 of us complained of the same issues, the controller idea is a great idea, but Nintendo really dropped the ball implementing it and then relied far to heavily on it. I mean come on, it is broken by light! I had to change the bulbs in my livingroom lights from the florecent spiral energy efficient ones back to the original incandecent bulb just to get it to work at all.

The system simply gets gimmick and un-fun far too quickly, IMO. Which is why out of the original 5 friends that bought it that first day, two have sold it, one has given his away to a relative, and another traded theirs for an Xbox360. And the one that still has his is the Nintendo fanboy of the group(every group of gamer friends has one, you know who you are), he still has his Virtualboy, and still claims it's only downfall was that it was too "ahead of its time".

haha, lightbulbs....HAHA

and virtualboy.....omfg, that things horrable, i was around when it came out and ppl wanted it i tryedit at target and didnt want it at all.....gamebody>virtualboy...

a buddy of mine still has 2 of them and every game ever made for them, even ones u couldnt get in the states dirrectly, same thing, he likes to say it was ahead of its time........

its CRAP.....but then again i bet ryboto loves his virtualboy........probbly as a couple and thinks they where ahead of their time :p

AshenSugar

Cooling PIB cooler
I want to see someone try to make one....how ever would you get away with doing it? I mean, after you get the Adult Only rating, what would be the plot? Screw all the girls in the least time? Get a girlfriend and keep her? (<--- I like that goal, but only in real life, shouldn't have to resort to games to get that)

Or for hilarity, have sex with the most things (such as horses :p) in the shortest amount of time?

um zek, look up "hentia games" there are THOUSANDS of hentia games, those are prOn games, japneese, mostly about getting laied by as many of the chicks in the game as possable........

you dont tend to find them in the states because americans honestly are to proodish to coap with them, but in japan.....any game store you go into is likely to have some "H" titles.

and FYI hentia=good :)

ryboto

Motherboard Abit AT8 32x
Case Lian Li PC-A05b

sorry to hear your opinion of it like that. I was playing at ebgames, and several people came up to me and asked me if i owned one, telling me they're buying more games for their wii. Both of my cousins have one, and I've yet to hear anything negative from them. I've played it, and apart from a few times when it didn't register the control because I made an awkward movement, I've never had issues. Personally, it's the only console I'd consider, I just cant stand analog sticks for anything but racing.

Completely Bonkers

Processor Mysterious Engineering Prototype
Motherboard Intel 865
Cooling Custom block made in workshop
Memory Corsair XMS 2GB
Video Card(s) FireGL X3-256
Display(s) 1600x1200 SyncMaster x 2 = 3200x1200
Software Windows 2003
I've never owned a console. In fact, I've not spent more than about 10 minutes TOTAL playing a console. But, I have taken a view. Nintendo's got a better "retail product strategy" than SONY... and as an investor... my stock investments have moved.

More than that, with all the P.R. fauxpas from SONY and the paradigm shift in entertainment concept from Nintendo... if i were to get a console, I think I'd be getting the Wii, because I agree with the philosophy. And now that's interesting... if Nintendo used that philosphy concept in their marketing and brand management more... they would build a very large, strong and loyal customer base ready for Wii2 and software.

ryboto

Motherboard Abit AT8 32x
Case Lian Li PC-A05b
hey dont get mad because you play a consol primarly made for kids, check into nintendos game lineup for past consols, most are made for kids, rarely do you see more mature content, and no im not talking about prOn games, im talking about good shooters, good fight games, non noobish rpg type games, zelda last i saw was still to kiddy for me, the OLD one for new and snes was fun, but it was a kids game, nintendo is marketing at kids primarly, now they are using adults playing games to try and draw adults into playing with the Wii, but its still a consol mostly made for kids, i wasnt saying its a bad thing, thats just the market niche fill and they fill it well, they are trying to get more mature audiance now, and thats koo, infact if thy can get some decent titles for older players that will be great, bring them in line with the xbx/xbx360 insted of the nes,snes,n64,gc type games where 98% of the games put on the consols are for kids and have very little appeal to the avrage older gamer, i mean common "super mario cart" and games of that level are only fun for so long if your not a kid, at least snes has mortal kombat and fatalities, tho the genisis version was better( i had the nes,snes and was given a gc and 50games, i sold them all :) )

by older-targeted games, you want mature rated games? I'd like to see kids beat mario sunshine, as gay and sissy as the name sounds, it isn't a kid-level game. It's also entertaining. I agree, that nintendo's first party titles don't typically have mature ratings, but that means they were meant for kids? seriously, that's a stretch. But, I'm not a typical console player, I rarely single-player console games, mostly I play part games. The times I do, I only play nintendo first party titles because they're the only games that are different from typical shooters and general public games available on the PC/other consoles.

Just take a look at the majority of games released for Nintendo Consoles compared to the ones released on other consoles. Look at the games put out by Nintendo, all the Mario games, I can't even think of an adult oriented game actually made and put out by Nintendo. Can you?

Can you name some made by Sony? Microsoft made Halo and Gears of War, am I missing any other mature titles? Nintendo doesn't make realistic simulations, well, I thought Mario golf was a better sim than the arcade-like tiger Woods, still, Nintendo relies on their classic characters. They have many party games, but just because they don't use guns or swords doesn't make the game any less fun. I guess that's just my opinion. I'm not sure how you could even describe adult-oriented. While in EBgames, 2 men, with their wives/girlfriends, easily in their 40's came up to me while I was playing the Wii demo, and told me I should get one because they love theirs. You can't rely on nintendo for realistic themed games, that's what they need 3rd party developers for.

Last edited:

AshenSugar

Cooling PIB cooler
mario sunshine my buddys 7yo bro and 12yo sister beet in the first week they had it......its a kiddie game lol, made for kids......

nintendo dosnt allow alot of truely mature titles, xbox has DOA3(boobies!!!!) doa vollyball and the other vollyball games, as does sony, i havent seen it on gc...and really dought it was ever made, nintendo never has in the past targeted the 16+ croud(when gamers start really being what i consider "mature gamers" en large)

and shooters on nintendo......best they managed from my exp has been crap like doom, a title thats OLD to be kind ;)

i dont just mean the level of the games made by sony,ms,nintendo themselves.

sony has banned "H" titles and even some non "H" titles in the past from being made/sold for their consols, the funny part is that in the past people would mod their ps1/2 to play them anyway :p

ms, well from my exp xbox titles can be made by damn neer anybody my buddy in korea says that koren xbox games are very popular, these are made by koren dev groups and published in korea only, they also have some portable titles avalable if you want to hack you gameboy units to allow them, but they also have some very intresting koren players portable mostly, stuff we dont see here because its hard to break into the us market.

he brought one over in jan that he has with 38+games, its color, lighted, has 56hr batt life on the stock rechargeable batt packs, he payed 120usd for it and 4 games(players choice of games) and its also able to be used as a multi player consol on the floor, think sega nomad or atari linx(one of the best products that was marketed so bad it never took off...)

the games he had with him ranged from blah to great, a fight game much like mk but better gfx.

also it was capable of playing movies the games where held on eather sd cards or pcmcia cards(it has 3 slots) it can also take MD cartreges but from what he says the company hasnt implemented it yet, but the MD drives will come out at 20gb sometime this year and will be ordered with the game titles you want preinstalled, also you can already buy movies for it, and the quility puts the psp to shame.........true dvd quility titles, we watched iron monky and 2 jet lee movies when he was here, hooked it to the tv, steller, :)

it already playes divx/xvid, wmv,wma,ogg, h264 and some other batt time is lost when decoding some formats like h264 because its more intence to decode, it also can support mkv,ogm and some other formats as long as the video and audio used are supported by the players built in decoders(upgradeable by firmware)

its a neet unit, but totaly unavalable here, and i dont see anybody putting one into the us market, because all we get are what sony,ms,nintendo shove at us.......

where i going to buy a consol type unit i would ask him to get me one and some games next time he comes back to visit family(he works for a koren company helping them market stuff outside korea)

ryboto

Motherboard Abit AT8 32x
Case Lian Li PC-A05b
mario sunshine my buddys 7yo bro and 12yo sister beet in the first week they had it......its a kiddie game lol, made for kids......

if you really want to make stuff up just to argue, i'm just going to stop. Fanboy crap just gets out of hand. Nintendo is allowing for more mature titles on the Wii, Manhunt 2 will be on the Wii. Mario sunshine is rated E for Everyone, it wasn't MADE for Kids....seriously, ignant.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Can you name some made by Sony? Microsoft made Halo and Gears of War, am I missing any other mature titles? Nintendo doesn't make realistic simulations, well, I thought Mario golf was a better sim than the arcade-like tiger Woods, still, Nintendo relies on their classic characters. They have many party games, but just because they don't use guns or swords doesn't make the game any less fun. I guess that's just my opinion. I'm not sure how you could even describe adult-oriented. While in EBgames, 2 men, with their wives/girlfriends, easily in their 40's came up to me while I was playing the Wii demo, and told me I should get one because they love theirs. You can't rely on nintendo for realistic themed games, that's what they need 3rd party developers for.

How fun a game is doesn't affect what audience it is targetted at. Nintendo makes games that cater to the likes of young kids. They make bright and shiney games with very little depth, throwing the same characters in over and over again(very Disney like). I would guess that Mario is not only a plumber but also a professional at pretty much every sport by now after all the sports games Nintendo has put him in. You will never see Nintendo publishing a game like God of War, Resistance: Fall of Man, The Getaway, or Twisted Metal Black(all made by Sony, fit my definition of adult oriented, and NOT a simulations). Those are just the types of games you won't see put out by Nintendo. The most adult oriented game Nintendo has put out thus far has been Twilight Princess and Super Smash Brothers Malee, and both of those are perfectly acceptable for my 10 year cousin old to play. However I would never let him play something like God of War.

if you really want to make stuff up just to argue, i'm just going to stop. Fanboy crap just gets out of hand. Nintendo is allowing for more mature titles on the Wii, Manhunt 2 will be on the Wii. Mario sunshine is rated E for Everyone, it wasn't MADE for Kids....seriously, ignant.

Mario sunshine is just one of the many games targetted at kids. Just because if it rated E doesn't mean it is targetted at everyone, it just means that it is acceptable for everyone to play. The teletubbies game is rated E for everyone too, are you going to say that is targetted at 18 year olds too?

ryboto

Motherboard Abit AT8 32x
Case Lian Li PC-A05b
How fun a game is doesn't affect what audience it is targetted at. Nintendo makes games that cater to the likes of young kids. They make bright and shiney games with very little depth, throwing the same characters in over and over again(very Disney like). I would guess that Mario is not only a plumber but also a professional at pretty much every sport by now after all the sports games Nintendo has put him in. You will never see Nintendo publishing a game like God of War, Resistance: Fall of Man, The Getaway, or Twisted Metal Black(all made by Sony, fit my definition of adult oriented, and NOT a simulations). Those are just the types of games you won't see put out by Nintendo. The most adult oriented game Nintendo has put out thus far has been Twilight Princess and Super Smash Brothers Malee, and both of those are perfectly acceptable for my 10 year cousin old to play. However I would never let him play something like God of War.

Nintendo doesn't push those games, because they aren't the developer..I really don't think Mario Sunshine was directed at kids. I know the name suggests bright colors, and simple gameplay, but it's a mario game, targeted at fans of the franchise. The games are good for parents looking to give their kids something wholesome to play, at the same time, there's a huge fanbase that expects a mario game, and that's who they make them for. It's the DS that's marketed towards a younger audience. I see sooo many ads for that system when I'm at my cousins and they watch Nickelodeon. So...I'm through with this, you have your opinion I have mine.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Nintendo doesn't push those games, because they aren't the developer..I really don't think Mario Sunshine was directed at kids. I know the name suggests bright colors, and simple gameplay, but it's a mario game, targeted at fans of the franchise.

Have you played Mario Sunshine? I have, it is a kids game. I don't see how anyone could say Mario Sunshine was targetted at adult gamers with a straight face. That is my point exactly, Nintendo doesn't push or even attempt to promote adult oriented games. A few 3rd party companies take it upon themselves to make adult games for the console because they know the audience is there, but Nintendo doesn't intend any of it's games or even the system to be targetted at adults.

ryboto

Motherboard Abit AT8 32x
Case Lian Li PC-A05b
Have you played Mario Sunshine? I have, it is a kids game. I don't see how anyone could say Mario Sunshine was targetted at adult gamers with a straight face. That is my point exactly, Nintendo doesn't push or even attempt to promote adult oriented games. A few 3rd party companies take it upon themselves to make adult games for the console because they know the audience is there, but Nintendo doesn't intend any of it's games or even the system to be targetted at adults.

are you even reading my damn posts?? If nintendo was only selling to children they'd never make a profit. Honestly, the game was fun. I own it. I never said it was geared towards adults. I honestly don't know many "adults" that even play video games, there's not a very large adult market, teens, and young teens are a huge market. I should know because all of my cousins are teens and of all 12 of them, more than half have their own gameboy or DS, and among then there are 2 gamecubes, a ps2, 2 wii's. Nintendo targets their games to a broad age range, haven't you ever heard them talk about it? Or read about how they try to make games fun for everyone?? I never said they promote their games as being for adults, but I don't ever recall them saying, "mario sunshine, kids game!". Seriously, It wasn't marketed to children. They don't do a good job of marketing in general, but if everyone seems to think because the characters aren't proportional and don't carry a gun that the game is designed for children. Nintendo has made it a point to say that they don't like to make deep games, or ultra realistic games. Shallow, fun games like the mario/donkey kong/kirby franchises are a pick up and play when you can. That's why I like them. Metroid is too involved for me, requires me to devote more time than I have, just as Zelda would.

AshenSugar

Cooling PIB cooler
sorry m8 but "young teens" and "teens" below 16 are by most peoples defintion KIDS, and the adult gamer market is HUGE, i personaly sold over 200 xboxes when i worked part time at bestbuy back in the day, 2/3 of them went to people 18+ who wanted them to game on and watch movies, the rest where gotten by people who had kids, most of them wanted a game system that wasnt targeted at kids, nintendo targets kids.

sure the games are fun for a short time, or fun for simple minded people to play over and over, bright colors, pretty pictures, simple gameplay, nowonder you are in love with it.

and a little FYI for you, nintendo requiers game makers to get approval to put games on their consol leigaly, hence you dont see many if any true adult titles, you see E titles..

btw E means FOR KIDS, its "safe for all ages" hence its safe for kids to play.

exectly, and infact i know for a FACT that some titles have been refused by nintendo because they felt the content didnt fit what they wanted their consol to be, so they didnt approve it, forcing the company who spent all that time making it or porting it to port it to another consol......

and teletubies...ROFL, yeah thats a title anybody over the age of 7 is gonna want anything to do with..........well maby ryboto......he seems like the kinda person who thinks supermario brothers 3 was "for adults because its rated E"

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
are you even reading my damn posts?? If nintendo was only selling to children they'd never make a profit. Honestly, the game was fun. I own it. I never said it was geared towards adults. I honestly don't know many "adults" that even play video games, there's not a very large adult market, teens, and young teens are a huge market. I should know because all of my cousins are teens and of all 12 of them, more than half have their own gameboy or DS, and among then there are 2 gamecubes, a ps2, 2 wii's. Nintendo targets their games to a broad age range, haven't you ever heard them talk about it? Or read about how they try to make games fun for everyone?? I never said they promote their games as being for adults, but I don't ever recall them saying, "mario sunshine, kids game!". Seriously, It wasn't marketed to children. They don't do a good job of marketing in general, but if everyone seems to think because the characters aren't proportional and don't carry a gun that the game is designed for children. Nintendo has made it a point to say that they don't like to make deep games, or ultra realistic games. Shallow, fun games like the mario/donkey kong/kirby franchises are a pick up and play when you can. That's why I like them. Metroid is too involved for me, requires me to devote more time than I have, just as Zelda would.

Are you even reading mine? I said that Nintendo makes games for kids. They have just recently started the whole "anyone can play our games" campaign, the problem is that most of their games are still the same old boring crap that appeal to poeple under the age of 14.

There isn't a very large adult market? O RLY?!?! "On average, gamers are 41 years of age..." :nutkick:

Yep, Nintendo makes shallow fun games, like ones targetted at kids. Adults don't want shallow games. They want games with stories that are more than just "the evil man made everything dirty, clean it" or "the evil man kidnapped the princess/your friend/your mom, get them back", I can't even begin to count how many games have essentially that same story line from Nintendo. Though I know who does find those story lines fun, KIDS! Kids are the ones that can do the same boring task over and over again with no character development and no original storyline.

Processor 3700X
Motherboard Aorus X570 Elite Wifi
Cooling Thermalright Spirit 140
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Z Neo
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX2070
Storage 970evo
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750W Gold
Software W10Pro
To see what something is targeted at look at the media ads. Who do they show playing the Wii? Got to the Wii site and play the ads. I see a "non gamer" audience being targeted. People that dont know what a forum is...non geeks. Now I dont get to watch the Disney channel very often so I have not seen those ads, the ads I have seen show a family, some cute college age chick and her friends, not too many "kids". It seems like alot of people are posting on something that really isnt meant for them, fact is they are selling, and they are selling to adults. everyone I know that has one actually have friends, yes, real life friends, and they play they Wii for drinking games and stuff do to do if you are bored at a get together. The very name of the console implies who it is meant for. This thread has turned into kinda of like an argument that a rice rocket is better than a Harley.

AshenSugar

Cooling PIB cooler
Are you even reading mine? I said that Nintendo makes games for kids. They have just recently started the whole "anyone can play our games" campaign, the problem is that most of their games are still the same old boring crap that appeal to poeple under the age of 14.

There isn't a very large adult market? O RLY?!?! "On average, gamers are 41 years of age..." :nutkick:

Yep, Nintendo make shallow fun games, like ones targetted at kids. Adults don't want shallow games. They want games with stories that are more than just "the evil man made everything dirty, clean it" or "the evil man kidnapped the princess/your friend/your mom, get them back", I can't even begin to count how many games have essentially that same story line from Nintendo. Though I know who does find those story lines fun, KIDS! Kids are the ones that can do the same boring task over and over again with no character development and no original storyline.

hehe exectly why i got sick of nintendo games, at least sega had some verity and orignal stuff back in the day.

and the lack of charictor development is something that i really hate in games and books, its why i just gave my copys of the hobbit and lotr away, they are way to kiddy in design, no char development, back in the day i thougth they where THE SHIT, corse i was a KID THEN, now after re-reading them all i realise how shallow they are compared to the works of the likes of Raymond E Fiest and CHRISTOPHER STASHEFF, and many others, and the movies tho well made lacked alot of what i thougth was important to the story, like the whole tom bombadill ark was removed.....
hopefully they dont fuck the hobbit up(i read someplace they are making it into a movie now...)
and for the love of god i hope they never make the simmerilion into a movie.......rofl hard to read or what?

blah i hate shallow games and movies and books.....im spoiled i guess, to many good books read ;)

Joshmcmillan

System Name Commander
Processor Intel i3 540 3.06Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H55-UD3H
Cooling 4x 80mm Case Fans, Zalman ZM-MFC1 Fan Controller, Stock CPU Cooler
Memory 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz (2x 2GB) - Kingston
Video Card(s) HIS ATi Radeon HD3850 256mb DDR3
Storage 640GB Western Digital Caviar Black
Display(s) 22" BenQ FP22W LCD, 700:1, 5ms, 16:10
Case Don't know exactly, metal, built on LED's.
Audio Device(s) Integrated - Altec Lansing 5.1 Speakers (6.5" Sub)
Power Supply Antec True 550W, 24 AMP on 12v rail
Software Vista Home Premium 64bit - AVG - Spybot
What's an infraction? How many do you need to be banned?

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
What's an infraction? How many do you need to be banned?

Infractions are just a way for the mod to say "Hey don't do that again" and a way for them to track the bad people and their history. It works on sort of a points system, which I still don't totally understand.

It is really up to the mod on giving infractions or bans. The mods have really started to be more lenient in recent months. I don't think the infraction system was even used before a few month ago as the first time I acted out of line I was banned instantly.

Joshmcmillan

System Name Commander
Processor Intel i3 540 3.06Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H55-UD3H
Cooling 4x 80mm Case Fans, Zalman ZM-MFC1 Fan Controller, Stock CPU Cooler
Memory 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz (2x 2GB) - Kingston
Video Card(s) HIS ATi Radeon HD3850 256mb DDR3
Storage 640GB Western Digital Caviar Black
Display(s) 22" BenQ FP22W LCD, 700:1, 5ms, 16:10
Case Don't know exactly, metal, built on LED's.
Audio Device(s) Integrated - Altec Lansing 5.1 Speakers (6.5" Sub)
Power Supply Antec True 550W, 24 AMP on 12v rail
Software Vista Home Premium 64bit - AVG - Spybot
There is a lot of kid games made by nintendo, but you can't say nintendo consoles are bad because of that, by other companies there is manhunt, resident evil and even by nintendo there is goldeneye.

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4

Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude Uncut and Uncensored. That's all I have to say about that. lol

ryboto

Motherboard Abit AT8 32x
Case Lian Li PC-A05b
holy hell...well, It's 2 v 1 in here, and you guys are just as stubborn as I am. Nintendo does not make Kid Games. That's the truth. Argue as much as you want, but the games ARE NOT designed for CHILDREN. I like how someone said "sure the games are fun for a short time, or fun for simple minded people to play over and over, bright colors, pretty pictures, simple gameplay, nowonder you are in love with it"...fist, nice grammar in your posts, really commendable. Second, I already said earlier, I like a DIFFERENT experience when I play consoles. Xbox and PS don't really differ much in their experience, i can play similar games on the PC, I want something quick that I can play without hassle, but you're right, that makes me simple minded "lol"! If the average gamer is 41, that's quite the bs to me. Of all the older men in my family, my friends family, my girlfriends family, all who are around that age, not one of them plays any sort of video game. I take that back, two of them bought Wi''s for their 18 year old "kids", and they frequently play. Lots of ADULTS with lives, jobs, families, don't have time for deep intense story lines, so simple gameplay is nice, it's quick, and easily sidelined if more important things come up. If you want to play again, you don't have to try and remember where you were in a level, you just play. Keep on believing that they make "kid" games, i gues by your definition, a 19 year old is a kid. 41 year olds are avg age for gamers..."O RLY?!" i wont even read that because based on the statistics among 8 families I personally know, no one over the age of 21( outside of myself) frequently plays video games.

I love statements like this "sorry m8 but "young teens" and "teens" below 16 are by most peoples defintion KIDS, and the adult gamer market is HUGE, i personaly sold over 200 xboxes when i worked part time at bestbuy back in the day, 2/3 of them went to people 18+ who wanted them to game on and watch movies, the rest where gotten by people who had kids, most of them wanted a game system that wasnt targeted at kids, nintendo targets kids."

Since you say it happened, I can't say you made it up. But it sounds oh so perfect for this situation to support your point. I also love how you worked in the word "kids"...again...what games exactly were on those systems that couldn't be had on the gamecube. Burnout series? A few exclusive Mature rated titles on the Xbox and PS2? I'm surprised you sold that many, judging from your intelligence and grammar in the forums, if you spoke like that I don't see how any one with common sense would listen to you. Sure, lots of 18+ people play, but over the age of 25, that number falls, because people get jobs, have lives, games are at the very lowest of priorities.

"blah i hate shallow games and movies and books.....im spoiled i guess, to many good books read "

really? doesn't seem to be helping your writing skills at all, well, I guess I can't say that, I don't know just how bad they were before. I guess I'm one of the few people that don't need a huge story line to play a game?? In the video medium, film does that for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.