• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Mushkin Announces Stealth Series PC Memory Modules

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w
There is nothing inappropriate about having a civil discussion on these stealth DIMMs. ;)

As I posted above unless these DIMMs offer exceptional value or performance, they aren't likely to be a big sales success, IMO. Maybe Mushkin will prove me wrong but I doubt it. The Samsung low voltage DIMMs offer performance and a low price. That's the bar that Mushkin will need to at least meet to see any reasonable sales volume with these specific DIMMs.

Unless you have an APU, there's almost no value in DRAM faster than 1600 MHz. for typical desktop applications, so the Samsung 1600 MHz. low voltage works well for many people. If these stealth DIMMs are ~$30. for a 2x 4 GB. kit, then they may become popular, but I doubt they will be priced at ~$30. for 8GB.

Can't really do much other than add bling when you have a commoditised market like RAMs. If I recall correctly there are only a handful of manufacturers making those chips, you have to rely on binning to tell them apart.

Can't really do much other than add bling when you have a commoditised market like RAMs. If I recall correctly there are only a handful of manufacturers making those chips, you have to rely on binning to tell them apart.

That's my point, those who know what DRAM is for don't need whistles and bells and don't buy bling. They are the minority of the "enthusiasts group" which include the profilers.

Last I checked there were (9) DRAM chip mfgs. but I believe Crucial has bought Elpida so maybe there is only (8) now. As far as the DIMMs themselves there are many different iterations of packaging of the same chips in addition to binning of the same chips.