• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

win 7 won't start; 610 geforce ZT 6064 10L

hondochica

Greetings;

I need Help! Been on other forums (Tom's Hardware) and still no answer. Also posted this on Zotac - awaiting response. But I would really like to get my computer up and running, I have done the following at least 4 times with variations to no avail. been at this all weekend!

Also - I read your sticky on re-installing drivers - did all but have not run 'driver sweeper' (was that here? or elsewhere? been so many places!). have not tried to re-install - too scared!

I am pretty much a newbie . . dabbled in building computers 17+ years ago - but things have really changed!

I have an older refurbished Lenovo thinkcentre M55e desktop. It only has a PCI slot - no PCI-E x16 (only pci-e x1). bought the 610 card as it had pci slot and hdmi capability.

When I initially install the card - Windows 7 (home prem) starts - using generic drivers - everything seems fine - generic driver. When I run installation cd - or use device manager to update drivers (I've installed and uninstalled this card a few times now), Windows will not start. It tries to start, gets to "starting windows" with the 4 mini-windows aligning then the HD completely shuts off and restarts - kinda scary!! Windows then goes to "Windows startup repair" and I have to let that run before I can shut it down. Says it cannot repair startup. If I remove the card - windows runs fine on integrated graphics. So Win 7 does not seem to like the drivers for this card. OR the drivers are not compatible with some other component?

All I want to do with this dinosaur computer is watch internet TV/netflix! no gaming, no programs - just video. this was one of only 2-3 cards I could find with a pci slot and hdmi output (tough to find a decent TV with VGA input). am currently running on Acer monitor - not the tv - yet!

computer specs:

MB: Lenovo 9300A15
CPU: Intel Pentium E2140
chipset: Intel 946 PL/GZ southbridge: 82801 GB (ICH 7/R)
Bios: Lenovo 2QKT22AUS 7/2007

I have set the bios to look for pci first. I have also enabled "plug and play" in the bios - but at no time has windows given me the "found new hardware" notice.

is this card compatible? what other specs do you want/need?

Also, card - when it's running on basic drivers seems pretty hot to the touch - is this normal?

Thanks so much - I've been at this for HOURS - don't know what else to do! Sorry for the long post.

Kelly

Processor AMD FX-8320 4.1Ghz
Motherboard Asus Aura
Cooling Corsair H60
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB
Video Card(s) EVGA 1060 SC
Storage Intel 535 Series SSD + Seagate FireCuda 2TB
Case NZXT
Power Supply EVGA 650 Watt
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
What 610 card?

hondochica

win 7 won't start . . .

oops :eek: - sorry! ZOTAC ZT-60604-10L GeForce GT 610 512MB 64-bit DDR3 PCI

System Name Ultrabeast GX2
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 4.0GHZ 24/7
Motherboard Gigabit P35-DS3L
Cooling Rosewill RX24, Dual Slot Vid, Fan control
Memory 2x1gb 1066mhz@850MHZ DDR2
Video Card(s) 9800GX2 @ 690/1040
Storage 750/250/250/200 all WD 7200
Display(s) 24" DCLCD 2ms 1200p
Case Apevia
Audio Device(s) 7.1 Digital on-board, 5.1 digital hooked up
Power Supply 700W RAIDMAXXX SLI
Software winXP Pro
Benchmark Scores 17749 3DM06
Processor AMD FX-8320 4.1Ghz
Motherboard Asus Aura
Cooling Corsair H60
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB
Video Card(s) EVGA 1060 SC
Storage Intel 535 Series SSD + Seagate FireCuda 2TB
Case NZXT
Power Supply EVGA 650 Watt
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Do you have the latest drivers? also, can you boot into safe mode?

hondochica

win 7 won't start . . .

3870x2: yes that's the card - and yes, I've downloaded the latest drivers from Nvidia - they are the same as on the installation cd.

Morrison5891: yes I can boot into safe mode.

the card works with generic windows drivers. no problems. windows fully runs. the problem occurs when I install the drivers for the card

THANKS so much for your help!

Kelly

hondochica

Solved!! win 7 won't start . . .

Greetings all;

VICTORY!!! :toast:

Turns out I HAD TO disable the integrated graphics card.

I know the instructions that came with the card told me that! :banghead:

I know your "sticky" told me that! :banghead:

But I never did that . . . :banghead: :banghead: :laugh:

For a real novice - it was too scary!! what happens if I disable it and the new card still doesn't work? Then I would be left with NO video!! How would I re-enable it without video?! And actually - that is EXACTLY what happened!! I was left with no video feed!

Please update that Sticky about upgrading video cards and tell folks how to re-enable the integrated card if everything goes south!

thanks

Kelly