• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Drives Industry Efforts to Enable Console-Quality Games for Handheld Devices

Jimmy 2004

System Name Jimmy 2004's PC
Processor S754 AMD Athlon64 3200+ @ 2640MHz
Motherboard ASUS K8N
Cooling AC Freezer 64 Pro + Zalman VF1000 + 5x120mm Antec TriCool Case Fans
Memory 1GB Kingston PC3200 (2x512MB)
Video Card(s) Saphire 256MB X800 GTO @ 450MHz/560MHz (Core/Memory)
Storage 500GB Western Digital SATA II + 80GB Maxtor DiamondMax SATA
Display(s) Digimate 17" TFT (1280x1024)
Case Antec P182
Audio Device(s) Audigy 4 + Creative Inspire T7900 7.1 Speakers
Power Supply Corsair HX520W
Software Windows XP Home
SUNNYVALE, CALIF. -- March 7, 2007 --AMD (NYSE: AMD) today announced its strategy to enable visually stunning and immersive games and multimedia content optimized for handheld devices powered by AMD's next-generation graphics technologies. As a leading supplier to the handheld market, AMD is introducing a suite of tools to help content creators jumpstart the development of applications for handheld devices based on OpenVG 1.0 and OpenGL ES 2.0 industry standards and AMD's patented Unified Shader Architecture. AMD is working with content developers now in preparation for the arrival of phones powered by AMD's next-generation graphics technologies expected next year. Leveraging unique expertise in both graphics processing technology and the handheld market, AMD will offer a common toolset and common graphics architectures to empower the delivery of advanced, innovative hardware and true console-quality mobile games.

"AMD is working closely with OEMs and semiconductor suppliers to bring to market an incredibly powerful handheld gaming platform equipped with AMD's innovative, open-standard technology," said Paul Dal Santo, vice president and general manager of AMD's Handheld Division. "At the same time, we are driving the creation of truly compelling content for the next-generation mobile gaming devices that consumers demand. This industry-wide effort will help ensure a robust handheld gaming ecosystem."

With a billion handheld devices expected to be sold this year, mobile devices have the potential to be the next major gaming platform worldwide. AMD's upcoming graphics technologies will be made available to handset manufacturers through discrete media processors as well as through IP licensing agreements with semiconductor suppliers. These technologies will include support for both the OpenVG 1.0 and OpenGL ES 2.0 graphics standards, and will incorporate the same AMD patented Unified Shader Architecture that drives the visual experience behind the Microsoft Xbox 360TM video game and entertainment system. AMD has launched a comprehensive suite of tools that includes RenderMonkey , a shader development tool to help developers create visually compelling characters and environments. The RenderMonkey tools for PC and console game development are an integral part of the development process for leading game developers worldwide. RenderMonkey 1.7 adds support for mobile content development including full OpenGL ES 2.0 shader support. By offering a common toolset and common graphics architectures, AMD enables game developers to easily create content for PCs, video game consoles and handheld devices within their existing production pipeline. AMD's next-generation mobile graphics architecture will feature native hardware acceleration for rendering vector graphics and flash-like applications. This architectural design delivers high-quality graphics, while consuming less power than either software rendering or rendering using a traditional 3D graphics core.

In addition to offering new tools, AMD will make available emulation environments and development kits to help developers create, test and tune their applications before next-generation handheld devices become available. In addition to aiding developers who are new to working with hardware accelerated rendering environments, emulation environments are critical to reducing development time for rich console-like, next-generation games, as well as graphics-rich applications such as interactive mapping software.

AMD is dedicated to helping developers leverage the powerful capabilities of AMD Imageon media processors. AMD makes generally available to developers dedicated on-site graphics engineering support, educational presentations, documentation and samples to enable breathtaking content optimized for AMD-powered handheld devices.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Scavar

System Name ScarredWolf(Desktop), MBlackWolf(Laptop)
Processor E6600(Desktop), T7300(Laptop)
Motherboard EVGA 680i(Desktop), IFL90(Laptop)
Cooling Akasa EVO 120(Desktop), No idea(Laptop)
Memory G Skill PI 8GB 4x2gb(Desktop), G Skill 3GB 1GB/2GB(Laptop)
Video Card(s) 8800GTS 640mb(Desktop), 8600m GT(Laptop)
Storage 3x250GB 1x500GB(Desktop), 1x320GB(Laptop)
Display(s) Acer AL2216W 22"(Desktop), 15.4"(Laptop)
Case Cosmos 1000(Desktop), PowerPro J 10:15(Laptop)
Audio Device(s) CreativeX-Fi/Z-5500(Desktop), Realtek/No idea(Laptop)
Power Supply PC Power and Cooling Silencer 610w(Desptop), *shrug*(Laptop)
Software Windows Vista Ultimatex64 with tweaks(Both)
Benchmark Scores I'm too lazy to benchmark anything.
This might be cool, but really I am tired of handhelds, and phones, and things. Until it becomes to the point were I am wearing a gaunlet that is uplinked to my brain and I can do stuff out of like Reboot and various Sci-Fi shows, I won't care.

But I guess this is a step there...

WarEagleAU

Bird of Prey
System Name Pandemic 2020
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 "Gen 2" 2600X
Motherboard AsRock X470 Killer Promontory
Cooling CoolerMaster 240 RGB Master Cooler (Newegg Eggxpert)
Memory 32 GB Geil EVO Portenza DDR4 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 DUAL-RX580-O8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video C
Storage WD 250 M.2, Corsair P500 M.2, OCZ Trion 500, WD Black 1TB, Assorted others.
Display(s) ASUS MG24UQ Gaming Monitor - 23.6" 4K UHD (3840x2160) , IPS, Adaptive Sync, DisplayWidget
Case Fractal Define R6 C
Audio Device(s) Realtek 5.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RMX 850 Platinum PSU (Newegg Eggxpert)
Mouse Razer Death Adder
Keyboard Corsair K95 Mechanical & Corsair K65 Wired, Wireless, Bluetooth)
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Would be nice to get something like this done on my Samsung now. I love playing games but with no data plan, my demos only last either 3 frames, 2 hands of poker, not sure about GT, Sudoku is like a pain in the butt and flo's diner doesnt let me finish one level...

Ketxxx

Heedless Psychic
System Name Ravens Talon
Processor AMD R7 3700X @ 4.4GHz 1.3v
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Modded 240mm Coolermaster Liquidmaster
Memory 2x16GB Klevv BoltX 3600MHz & custom timings
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil
Storage 250GB Asgard SSD, 1TB Integral SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) 27" BenQ Mobiuz
Case NZXT Phantom 530
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DX 7.1 PCI-E
Power Supply 1000w Supernova
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores Fast. I don't need epeen.
DAMn, since AMD got ATi their just hellbent on world domination..

DaMulta

My stars went supernova
System Name Work in progress
Processor AMD 955---4Ghz
Motherboard MSi GD70
Cooling OcZ Phase/water
Memory Crucial2GB kit (1GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR3 PC3-16000
Video Card(s) CrossfireX 2 X HD 4890 1GB OCed to 1000Mhz
Storage SSD 64GB
Display(s) Envision 24'' 1920x1200
Case Using the desk ATM
Audio Device(s) Sucky onboard for now :(
Power Supply 1000W TruePower Quattro

AshenSugar

Processor Athlon64 3500+(2.2gz)@2.94gz(3.03gz)
Motherboard Biostar Tforce550 (RMA) (m2n-sli delux)
Cooling PIB cooler
Memory 2gb ocz 533 +1gb samsung 533 4-4-4-12
Video Card(s) x1900xtx 512mb+zalman vf900 cooler(kicks stock coolers arse)
Storage 80gb,200gb,250gb,160gb
Display(s) 20.1 in dell 2001fp + KDS visual sensations 19"
Case Codegen briza seirse
Audio Device(s) ADI SoundMax HD audio onboard,using Ket's driver pack
Power Supply FSP 400watt SAGA seirse w/noise killer
Software Windows 2003 ent server as workstation(kills xp in perf and stab)
i have seen a powervr based handheld that was pretty kool, but the thing never went into wide sales in the us(saw it at a comp show) but it sold in asian countys pretty well from what i been told.

this should be intresting if thye can make a version that dosnt suck for contols :p (ngage was a great idea, poorly executed)