• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HD 7950 Gigabyte cooling - help needed

hovado

Hello,

I have HD 7950 from Gigabyte. I would like to put heatsinks on VRM. Can anyone of you, who has Gigabyte cooler off the PCB, give me measures of the mosfets, black top part of it (see the picture)? I have found some datasheet, which states 4,9mm and 5,8mm, but I am not sure, whether the datasheet is the right one..

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• forum.jpg
    forum.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 1,014
System Name ChaosMoes
Processor Intel® Core™ i5-3570K no OC yet
Motherboard Asrock Z77 Extreme4
Cooling Scythe Ninja 3 Rev. B
Memory 16GB 2xPatriot DIMM 8 GB DDR3-1866 Kit (PV38G186C9KRD, Viper 3 Venom Red)
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 590 Phantom Gaming X 8GB GDDR5 188€@13.07.19 Amazon Sale
Storage Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256GB, + ST32000645NS Seagate Constellation 109€ reichelt.de 2012
Display(s) 27" Phillips PHL 276E9Q 189€ @ Saturn(Germany) 1.09.2018
Case Zaria A20 !!!THANK YOU TECHPOWERUP.COM!!!
Audio Device(s) onboard Sound
Power Supply SeaSonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Microsoft SideWinder X4 Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
My Artic Accelero S1 Plus came with some sort of vreg cooler which you can add using themal glue, i tested it on my GTX 650 that has the same "casing" from the mosfets and it works but is a great hassle.

Maybe there are some complete vram cooler availible for the 79xx? I have seen several ones with pushpins.

please show us a picture of the complete card! Are there mounting holes?

Maybe:
Use two of these on two mosfets?
http://koolance.com/video-ram-heat-sinks
Or just google for: SCVCH-1000 they are 22mmx10mm (and 8mm high)

i finally resorted to the ebay generic copper ones:

they are called RHS-03 and i paid 6€ on ebay, got them from england and took 10 days :D
They come with some sort of acid thermal pad and stick very well upside down :roll:

to give you some idears:
http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale/wholesale-vga-ram-cooler.html
Warning: they list yous some here as a "b2b shop" which ships from china, just get yours from ebay or Amazon and just use THIS as size helper

Final words, i am by no means responsible for where you buy and how much you spent and i am not affiliated with those sellers in any way :rolleyes:

Last edited:

hovado

My Artic Accelero S1 Plus came with some sort of vreg cooler which you can add using themal glue, i tested it on my GTX 650 that has the same "casing" from the mosfets and it works but is a great hassle.

Maybe there are some complete vram cooler availible for the 79xx? I have seen several ones with pushpins.

please show us a picture of the complete card! Are there mounting holes?

Maybe:
Use two of these on two mosfets?
http://koolance.com/video-ram-heat-sinks
Or just google for: SCVCH-1000 they are 22mmx10mm (and 8mm high)

i finally resorted to the ebay generic copper ones:
http://i01.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v1/...hermal-font-b-VGA-b-font-font.jpg_250x250.jpg
they are called RHS-03 and i paid 6€ on ebay, got them from england and took 10 days :D
They come with some sort of acid thermal pad and stick very well upside down :roll:

to give you some idears:
http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale/wholesale-vga-ram-cooler.html
Warning: they list yous some here as a "b2b shop" which ships from china, just get yours from ebay or Amazon and just use THIS as size helper

Final words, i am by no means responsible for where you buy and how much you spent and i am not affiliated with those sellers in any way :rolleyes:

Thank you for your reply.

I am planning to do my own custom heatsink, but I need measurements of mosfets to make "blueprint" for heatsink. I just like to cut aluminium parts from older electronics.
So these heatsink are no good for me:).

System Name ChaosMoes
Processor Intel® Core™ i5-3570K no OC yet
Motherboard Asrock Z77 Extreme4
Cooling Scythe Ninja 3 Rev. B
Memory 16GB 2xPatriot DIMM 8 GB DDR3-1866 Kit (PV38G186C9KRD, Viper 3 Venom Red)
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 590 Phantom Gaming X 8GB GDDR5 188€@13.07.19 Amazon Sale
Storage Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256GB, + ST32000645NS Seagate Constellation 109€ reichelt.de 2012
Display(s) 27" Phillips PHL 276E9Q 189€ @ Saturn(Germany) 1.09.2018
Case Zaria A20 !!!THANK YOU TECHPOWERUP.COM!!!
Audio Device(s) onboard Sound
Power Supply SeaSonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Microsoft SideWinder X4 Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
No problem, i used to make these back in the day for laptops gpu and my own ati 9800 insane edition ^^

Just think about your time: now a days it's almost not worth it when you can get a very good cooler for 20€ that has vram included!

even if you are willing to go these route, i managed to kill some cards while changing coolers...maybe just by static discharge

hovado

If you give me a tip of aftermarket cooler for mosfets, I will be grateful. AFAIK, there is no extra mosfet cooler for VRM on Gigabyte HD 7950.
You are right, one has to be cautious and patient. But it is my kind of hobby (you should see my old HD 4870 with my heatsinks :) ), so the aftemarket cooler would have to be really good.

Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Asus TUF-Gaming B550-Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon Rx 580 Nitro+ 8GB
Storage HP EX950 512GB + Samsung 970 PRO 1TB
Display(s) HP Z Display Z24i G2
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-5
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Ultra 650W Gold
Mouse Roccat Kone AIMO Remastered
Software Windows 10 x64
I just wanted to ask the same question.
Ever since 4870 days I've been baffled why there is absolutely no serious VRM heatsink available. Those individual chip little heatsinks are a ridiculous joke.
A workaround I use is remove the fan and the plastic crap from stock cooler and only keep the metal plate attached to a card, and slap a GPU cooler on that (like Accelero S1 Plus for example), which gets the job done, but is far from ideal solution.

Processor 8700k Intel
Motherboard z370 MSI Godlike Gaming
Cooling Triple Aquacomputer AMS Copper 840 with D5
Memory TridentZ RGB G.Skill C16 3600MHz
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 Ti
Storage Crucial MX SSDs
Display(s) Dell U3011 2560x1600 + Dell 2408WFP 1200x1920 (Portrait)
Case Core P5 Thermaltake
Audio Device(s) Essence STX
Power Supply AX 1500i
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win10
I always use copper mini-heatsinks from Enzotech, they are very good at dissipating heat from mosfets, about the right size also.

http://www.enzotechnology.com/mos-c1.htm

Lately I've switched from them because now Watercool makes a DIY kit that watercools mosfets too on universal waterblocks.

http://shop.watercool.de/epages/WatercooleK.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/WatercooleK/Products/17021

It's a very nice solution, you just cut the copper where you need it to be and drill couple of holes matching near the VRMs.

Then you proceed by connecting the rigid tubing with small push fit fittings.

BAM watercooled VRMs on universal waterblocks.