• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Lian Li Announces the PC-9N Mid Tower Chassis

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Lian-Li Industrial Co. Ltd, today announces a new brushed aluminum mid tower chassis, the PC-9N. Supporting ATX and micro-ATX motherboards, the PC-9N forgoes the traditional motherboard tray, and instead implements a railing mount design for increased thermal performance and better cable management.

Lian Li's new railing mount technology greatly improves airflow under the motherboard, helping systems run cooler. This innovative Lian Li design replaces the traditional solid motherboard tray used in competing products, which blocks airflow and adds to system weight and cost. The new railing system also provides better routing options for internal wiring and cables, reducing clutter, improving system appearance and further improving airflow.

The Lian Li PC-9N holds up to three 3.5-inch hard drives and one 2.5-inch SSD in its all aluminum, tool-less, modular drive cage at the lower front of the chassis. The drives are secured by quick-access thumbscrews with rubber suspensions to greatly reduce irritating noise and vibrations. The HDD cage itself can be swiftly removed or rotated for easy maintenance access or case modification.

At the top of the chassis are three 5.25-inch drive bays with external access. The tool-less design of the bays, makes it easy for DIY builders to install optical drives.

A 140mm fan at the front pulls cool air into the chassis, and directly onto the hard disk drives. There is space for another optional 140mm fan in the middle of the front panel, where it can push external air directly across the motherboard and expansion cards, for advanced cooling requirements. The front panel can be removed without tools, making it easy to clean and maintain the air filters. The rear 120mm exhaust fan pulls hot air out of the chassis.

The PC-9N accommodates CPU coolers up to 170mm (6.6 inches) in height. The PC-9N has 8 vented expansion slots with thumb screws. There's space for very long VGA cards up to 430mm (16.93 inches) in the chassis.

Power supplies up to 300mm (11.81 inches) in length fit easily at the bottom of the PC-9N. Ventilation slits underneath the PSU, with a removable pull-out air filter, help increase the life and performance of the power supply and system.

The I/O panel on the top of the case has two USB 3.0 and HD audio connections. A door covers the I/O panel to protect it from dust and keep the elegant look when not in use.

The PC-9N is available in two stylish color options: silver (PC-9NA) and black (PC-9NB).

Product Highlights:
  • Supports ATX and micro-ATX motherboards
  • New motherboard mounting system providing enhanced cooling and performance
  • Tool-less disk drive mounting and removal
  • Holds three 3.5-inch drives, one 2.5-inch drive and three 5.25-inch drives
  • Impressive cooling with front 140mm fan and 120mm rear fan
  • Easily removable front panel
  • Hidden case-top I/O ports - USB 3.0 x2 and HD Audio
  • Two color options: silver and black
  • MSRP: US$109.99 (Tax not included)
  • Available in the US at the end of February
For more information, visit the product page.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Lian Li, the Porsche of the computing world.

System Name Squarehead2
Processor Intel i7-4790K
Motherboard MSI Gaming 7
Cooling Corsair H80i
Memory Corsair Vengeance 1600 32GB
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 OC 4G w/MNPC tech GPU Support
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD, WD Caviar Black 2TB
Display(s) AOC G2770PQU 144MHz
Case Corsair Vengeance C70 Gunmetal w/MNPC Tech WIndow
Power Supply Corsair RM650
Mouse Corsair Vengeance M60
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K60
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
I like the rail-mount mobo innovation. Wouldn't mind seeing more models offering this...

The front of the case has a different look with that strip of mesh - I wonder how restrictive the intake is?

System Name Black Killing Machine
Processor Delidded NO IHS mount Intel i7-4770k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z87X-OC
Cooling Swiftech DIR655 pump, Watercool HEATKILLER® GPU-X³ 79X0 Ni-Bl gpu, DT SNIPER CPU block, UT60 420 RAD
Memory Gskill Trident 2400mhz CL9 Samsung IC9
Video Card(s) SAPPHIRE HD7950 OC 950mhz Edition, VaporX HD7950
Storage 2xM4 Crucial 64GB RAID 0, 1 OCZ AGILILITY 3 60GB, WDCB 500GB x2RAID0, WD Green, Hitachi 1TB
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 226BW and 24" 120hz BenQ gamer
Case SilverStone Raven rv-02
Audio Device(s) Audio Technica ATH-AD900 headphones, Topping D2 DAC/Headphone AMP
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum 860
Software Windows 7 Pro 64bit
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/sonda5/ Delidding is magic. http://valid.canardpc.com/2878462
System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
nice case but lian li should design something new

Processor 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Auros Elite AX
Cooling Custom Water
Memory GSKILL 2x16gb 6000mhz Cas 30 with custom timings
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6750 XT MECH 2X 12G OC
Storage Adata SX8200 1tb with Windows, Samsung 990 Pro 2tb with games
Display(s) HP Omen 27q QHD 165hz
Case ThermalTake P3
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex Titanium
Software Windows 11 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores CB23: 1811 / 19424 CB24: 1136 / 7687
I like the rail-mount mobo innovation. Wouldn't mind seeing more models offering this...

Could not figure out what you were talking about ill I looked at the full size picture. That is quite nice.

System Name Graphics Card Free...
Processor Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX Wifi
Cooling Cryorig M9a w/ BeQuiet! PureWings 2 ~ 92mm
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 3200 ~ 16GB(2x8GB)
Storage Samsung EVO 870 SSD - 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2
Case Cardboard...
Power Supply eVGA SuperNova 550w G3
Mouse Logitech t400 Zone Touch Mouse
Keyboard IBM Model "M" Keyboard
Software Manjaro ~ KDE Plasma
Benchmark Scores She's a Runner!
I find it amazing what they can do with aluminum foil these days...

:)

LC

System Name Eldritch
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF X570 Pro Wifi
Cooling Satan's butthole after going to Taco Bell
Memory 64 GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 6*8TB Western Digital Blues in RAID 6, 2*512 GB Samsung 960 Pros
Display(s) Acer CB281HK
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro PH-ES614P_BK
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar DX
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750 G2
Mouse Razer Viper 8K
Software Debian Bullseye
Hell, I'd buy it.

Now to go get my hands on some money.

Lian Li innovative sorry! They have the least innovative I/O panel (top)... it's asinine! First that little chintzy flip-up door then minimal connections what a joke! Lian Li been sticking buyers with that same Plain-Jane austere crap for too many years... and folk shell out top dollar for what's a minimalist POS... it’s sad.

It would be "innovative" and truly "Porsche", to have the I/O as a module (5.25”) with a smooth opening door like nice luxury cars use on ashtrays or our cover panels that fold and basically disappear. You know the type where it gives the impression of automated open with spring and gears. Then unquestionably providing more than two USB's, then perhaps a SD card reader slot or two, while imaginably it might have one or two small sliders for fan control. Lighting for the power and HDD that aren’t just normal LED’s, but illumination that’s subtle and indirect while functional say like the power light bar in soft white that shines on the area you press to open the door. HDD light that doesn’t strobe but more negligibly cloaked within the power light bar and provide various choice of color to choose from. A power button that isn’t generic (round), but more discreet and integral on the front of the module (perhaps built in as the light bar itself), while the reset is behind the door, because top notch high-end computer builds shouldn’t need them that often. Then have the module able to position it in multiple areas like on top like it is, then front/top and then a middle of the bezel and you choose on what’s best for you. Provide two matching brushed anodized cover panels along with two mesh panels, this way you can have either/or both styles depending on what you like.

If they implemented such a Module across their case's it wouldn't be all that expensive, sure much more that the POS they give presently, but a Lian Li should be a pioneer in the market.

This chit’s not that hard...

Processor Intel i5 12600KF
Motherboard MSI PRO Z690-P DDR4, Socket 1700
Cooling MSI Ventus AIO
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 32GB, DDR4, 3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI VentusRTX 3060 12Gb
Storage XPS 1TB | 2x Kingston 2TB Sata | Sinology 4TB (Raid1) |
Display(s) 24" Dell U2417H
Case Msi Mpg Odin
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC887 + Microlab Solo 6C
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME TX-750, 80
Mouse Razer
Keyboard Razer
Software Windows 10 x64

Well I agree on that part with the "bright leds" maybe they should be a more discrete like macs have. but that's about it.

Buy another brand if you don't like Lian-Li, some of us prefer minimalist elegant design rather than super featured gimmicky or overengineered cases.
Also some of the features you listed there could be considered by some tacky, such as changing led color... you could change a led yourself pretty easy btw, unless you plan to change that colour every day to reflect your mood or smtn.

True, they could improve a bit here and there, and they sure aren't cheap for what they offer. But I haven't seen better yet. Please do provide a few links to exemplary cases that are in the same (or lower) price range. Thanks

Last edited:
System Name Squarehead2
Processor Intel i7-4790K
Motherboard MSI Gaming 7
Cooling Corsair H80i
Memory Corsair Vengeance 1600 32GB
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 OC 4G w/MNPC tech GPU Support
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD, WD Caviar Black 2TB
Display(s) AOC G2770PQU 144MHz
Case Corsair Vengeance C70 Gunmetal w/MNPC Tech WIndow
Power Supply Corsair RM650
Mouse Corsair Vengeance M60
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K60
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
My comment on innovation was solely directed to the rail-type motherboard tray.

I like the In-Win's D-Frame skeletonized motherboard tray better, but as it is 3D it would be relatively pricey.

That said, my ultimate motherboard tray would be somewhere between the two, with SSD & HDD mounts on the back. The front intake fans of a case would then be cooling both sides of the mobo and the drives as well.

...and no, I don't want the open-air design of the rest of the In-Win D-Frame case, I want it in a positive-pressure box more like a standard case. 2 front 140mm intakes, 1 rear, and perhaps a bottom 140mm intake too - and optional 240/280mm top rad support.

Basically, your typical modern case (like a Fractal Design Define R4) but with a skeletonized motherboard tray.

System Name Back to Blue
Processor i9 14900k
Motherboard Asrock Z790 Nova
Cooling Corsair H150i Elite
Memory 64GB Corsair Dominator DDR5-6400 @ 6600
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 Ultra FTW3
Storage 4TB WD 850x NVME, 4TB WD Black, 10TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
Display(s) 1x Samsung Odyssey G7 Neo and 1x Dell u2518d
Case Lian Li o11 DXL w/custom vented front panel
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Saffire PRO 14 -> DBX DriveRack PA+ -> Mackie MR8 and MR10 / Senn PX38X -> SB AE-5 Plus
Power Supply Corsair RM1000i
Mouse Logitech G502x
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 11 x64 Pro
Benchmark Scores 31k multicore Cinebench - CPU limited 125w
I love Lian Li cases but only for their simplicity in their style, plus the fact they are aluminum.
However I have my list of line item complaints. (Where is my top fan and added internal bays) :(

The small strip wont have much effect at all on intake air if any real measurable amount.

Now about the other complaints (Top I/O) seriously you are getting an Aluminum case for this price? What do you want? Laser cut flush mount with a double ceramic bearing hinge and lift struts?

I agree, it's the cheapest looking part of the case however... I can't exactly fault them for the price, if it was $180 now, I would be complaining, $/$ they are one of the cleanest looking cases I have ever found.