• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sapphire Announces Radeon HD 7790 2GB OC Graphics Card

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
SAPPHIRE Technology has just added a 2 GB model to the recently introduced HD 7790 series of graphics cards. Like the other members of the series, the SAPPHIRE HD 7790 2 GB OC is based on the latest Bonaire chipset featuring the highly acclaimed graphics GCN (Graphics Core Next) architecture from AMD and sets a new standard for performance in mainstream graphics.

The SAPPHIRE HD 7790 2 GB OC Edition has 2 GB of the latest DDR5 memory and is factory overclocked, with core clocks of 1050 MHz and memory clocks of 1600 MHz (6.4 GT/s effective), to deliver new levels of performance in its price segment. Performance is optimized with the latest version of AMD's PowerTune technology.

The 2 GB board features a new cooler design, which uses a dual heatpipe system and a single aerofoil section fan assembly with dust repelling bearings for maximum efficiency and reliability. A unique and SAPPHIRE original feature is the integration into the cooling system of the metal backplate which cools the memory chips on the reverse side of the PCB and helps with PCB rigidity. A finned heatsink attached to the backplate passes through the pcb and extends into the airflow from the fan on the front side of the card, enabling the airflow to carry away the heat from the components on the back of the PCB and reducing memory temperatures to as low as 13°C.

Working or gaming with multiple monitors is becoming increasingly popular, and the SAPPHIRE HD 7700 series supports this with AMD Eyefinity, now in its second generation. The SAPPHIRE HD 7790 OC Edition has two DVI ports (DVI-I and DVI-D), HDMI and a single DisplayPort output, supporting up to four monitors.

The SAPPHIRE HD 7790 OC Edition model supports the FleX feature, pioneered by SAPPHIRE, that allows three digital displays to be connected to the DVI and HDMI outputs and used in AMD Eyefinity mode without the need for an external active adapter. All four outputs can be used in AMD Eyefinity mode, but the fourth display must be a DisplayPort monitor or connected with an active adapter.

The SAPPHIRE HD 7790 OC Edition can be installed in any PC with a free x16 PCI-Express slot, and communication with the host PC is optimised with the use of the latest high speed PCI-Express Gen3.0 interface. Built in hardware support for AMD CrossFire enables multiple cards to be used to further enhance performance in a suitably specified mainboard.

The SAPPHIRE HD 7790 OC supports the latest industry standards and is ready for Windows 8 with its architecture designed for DirectX 11.1, OpenGL 4.2 and OpenCL 1.2. This latest version of AMD's Graphics Core Next (GCN) architecture also supports an unparalleled array of display and audio technologies, with new fast HDMI features (such as support for 4K resolution and full frame rate 1080p stereoscopic support), DisplayPort 1.2 certification (with support for Multi-Stream Transmission), and DDM Audio (which adds supports for up to 6 simultaneous independent audio streams). Video capabilities include native support for 3D Blu-ray (MVC Codec), DivX decode and hardware encoding of H.264 video via VCE.

APP Acceleration is the name given to the enhanced performance of a wide range of applications using the stream processing capabilities and specific hardware features of the GCN graphics architecture. The HD 7000 series has been optimised for this type of task. Typical applications include Video encoding and decoding, compression and multiplexing for media distribution, gaming or video conferencing. APP acceleration can also enhance everyday tasks such as Internet browsing, Office applications and file compression with supported software suites.

The SAPPHIRE HD 7790 series is shipping now and is available through SAPPHIRE's established etail and retail partners. Purchasers will also receive a voucher for a FREE copy of the highly acclaimed BioShock Infinite from participating retailers.

For more information, visit the product page.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
Wake me up please when the next generation 8xxx is launched...

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
I apologize, But am I missing something? What's the deal W/ all the fuss surrounding this GPU? I've heard/Read more about this thing , than any new AMD, or Nvidia release. Does it make Ice, or coffee, or something else aside from rendering? Because to Me it looks like a Standard run of the mill Mid level GPU, which is NO different from ANY other mid level card. "Come one ,Come all, Step right up, and See the Amazing HD 6870, Complete with 1Gb of Gddr5, and Very limited Rendering Power". Sound's kinda strange when it's put that way, Huh? zzzzzzzzz.

System Name Ryzen Reynolds
Processor Ryzen 1600 - 4.0Ghz 1.415v - SMT disabled
Motherboard mATX Asrock AB350m AM4
Cooling Raijintek Leto Pro
Memory Vulcan T-Force 16GB DDR4 3000 16.18.18 @3200Mhz 14.17.17
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ 4GB RX 580 - 1450/2000 BIOS mod 8-)
Storage Seagate B'cuda 1TB/Sandisk 128GB SSD
Display(s) Acer ED242QR 75hz Freesync
Case Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair VS 550w
Mouse Zalman ZM-M401R
Keyboard Razor Lycosa
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/6220813
I apologize, But am I missing something? What's the deal W/ all the fuss surrounding this GPU? I've heard/Read more about this thing , than any new AMD, or Nvidia release. Does it make Ice, or coffee, or something else aside from rendering? Because to Me it looks like a Standard run of the mill Mid level GPU, which is NO different from ANY other mid level card. "Come one ,Come all, Step right up, and See the Amazing HD 6870, Complete with 1Gb of Gddr5, and Very limited Rendering Power". Sound's kinda strange when it's put that way, Huh? zzzzzzzzz.

It's not being made a fuss of, you keep hearing/reading about them because you are reading news releases (aka marketing) from the different manufacturers releasing their own versions of the 7790 which happens with every other GPU it's just that the 7790 is a newly released GPU where as the rest of the 7*** family of GPU's have been out for a year or so hence all the news (marketing) on them at the minute.

I apologize, But am I missing something?

Your right it's not that big of a deal, probably the only thing was it being a new twist on AMD GNC architecture on new silicone. It may well tell use some of what "Sea Island" can provide in the 8XXX Series. It has good gains on power consumption and the fact that it is able to deliver 1920x in many somewhat demanding titles with some AA turned on is a boom. It's not the 10% behind a 7850 1Gb we heard rumored, but still a lot of card for not much money. Consider your able to get what a 6870 or GTX560Ti gave you say 18 months ago and now at $140 or less.

Now, while a 7790 wasn’t the replacement of 7850 1Gb which was disappointing, I still see it as a good card that displace the GTX650Ti. AMD left Nvidia a huge gap and Nvidia was never reality based in it performance/price. The 7790 was intended fill that and knock the GTX650Ti down a notch… mission accomplished! Yes, NVidias’ other entry in the release of the GTX650Ti Boost quickly stole the 7790 lime-light, but frankly it was NVidia’s way to via the 7850’s (not displace the 7790) without dropping price on the GTX660. My option on that seems to have backfired for them, as here in the states GTX 660’s are now pricing generally $180-200 not the obstinate $210-220 before the GTX 650ti Boost, while those are unseemly holding at $170-180. But that does have Nvidia on a full-court-press against the 7850's and in a good position.

As to a 7790 and 2Gb running on a 128-Bit, to me It’s just fluff, maybe it can assist in one or two titles (like Skyrim), but after that it makes very little sense. But considering this level of card provide anyone who upgraded to a 1080p monitor entrance into a level that just 2 years ago would be consider “enthusiast” is significant.

Last edited:
System Name Obelisc
Processor i7 3770k @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling H110
Memory 16GB(4x4) @ 2400 MHz 9-11-11-31
Video Card(s) GTX 780 Ti
Storage 850 EVO 1TB, 2x 5TB Toshiba
Case T81
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium HD
Power Supply EVGA 850 T2 80+ TITANIUM
Software Win10 64bit
Isn't the 7790 considered to be a 8000 series preview? With the tweaking they did it has the best efficiency yet, though that didn't stop nvidia from brute force displacing it with the 650 TI boost.

The HD 7790 is one of the Best Dollar/Performance/Watt HTPC card you can buy. It has a wealth of tweaking abilities (Overclock or Downclock).

It Runs Cooler, Faster, Uses less power, Is very Silent and Overclcoks allot better than its competitor GTX650TI

System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular

Almost the same power as a 7870 for half the price. What isn't a big deal about this for any value minded customer?