• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 770 WindForce Pictured

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
GIGABYTE was a little early in making the product page of its upcoming GeForce GTX 770 WindForce OC graphics card live, much to our delight. Here are some of the first pictures of GIGABYTE's creation (model: GV-N770OC-2GD). The card looks nearly identical to the GeForce GTX 780 WindForce OC we reviewed last week. It uses the same WindForce cooling solution that's designed to handle thermal loads as high as 450W. The specifications tab in the product page gives out clock speeds of this factory-overclocked card, which are 1137 MHz core, 1189 MHz GPU Boost, and 7.00 GHz memory. At this point, we can't tell if the card is based on an NVIDIA reference-design PCB, it lacks NVIDIA markings.

Many Thanks to T4CFantasy for the tip.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name THE CUBE 2.0
Processor Intel i5 13600k
Motherboard MSI MPG Z690 EDGE DDR4
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14PE BK 2x T30-120 Fan mod mount
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 3200 MT/s C15 32GB 2x16GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aorus 1080 Ti 11GB OC: Core 2GHz, Mem 5.7GHz
Storage WD SN770 250GB / 3x WD SN850X 2TB / Toshiba X300 4TB / 2x RAID1 Toshiba P300 3TB
Display(s) Samsung 49" Odyssey OLED G95SC 240Hz 5120 x 1440
Case "THE CUBE" Custom built, pure Red Alder wood
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT 880
Power Supply Corsair RM1000X
Mouse Logitech G700
Keyboard Logitech G910
Software Windows 11 Pro
Awesome I expect this will be even more silent than the 780 version. I just wish these cards came with a backplate to support these heavy coolers, but now that I'm in love with Horizontal cases that's not to big of a deal.

I bought a GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 670 WindForce and have had nothing but problems with it. It's gone wrong for the second time since I bought it now and the Gigabyte RMA process is so awful I'm thinking of just binning the £330 card and buying something else.

The problem I've got is a well known one with Z77 PCI-E 3.0 16x, and yet Gigabyte still refuse to admit the problem even exists!

I'd steer clear of getting one of these, at least until any initial kinks have been worked out.

System Name NEW
Processor Intel 4770 non-K
Motherboard Gigabyte H81M-DS2V
Cooling CM Hyper 212 plus
Memory 16gb Muskin
Video Card(s) XFX 380X 4gb
Storage Sandisk 120gb plus WD blue 1tb
Display(s) AOC 23.5 LED bl
Case XIGMATEK
Audio Device(s) motherboard
Power Supply Cooler Master 500
Is this based on a GTX 680? (the GTX 770)

System Name Current Rig
Processor AMD 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI x670e Tomahawk wifi
Cooling Artic Freezer II 360
Memory G.Skill 32gb ddr5 6000mhz
Video Card(s) AMD 7900XTX 24 GB
Storage Samsung SSD 980 PRO 2TB
Display(s) Alienware 3420DW 120 Freesync
Case LianLi Lancool III white non-rgb
Audio Device(s) Onboard ALC
Power Supply Corsair Shift 1000W
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard Ducky Shine 5
Software Win 11 64bit
Benchmark Scores The second best!
I bought a GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 670 WindForce and have had nothing but problems with it. It's gone wrong for the second time since I bought it now and the Gigabyte RMA process is so awful I'm thinking of just binning the £330 card and buying something else.

The problem I've got is a well known one with Z77 PCI-E 3.0 16x, and yet Gigabyte still refuse to admit the problem even exists!

I'd steer clear of getting one of these, at least until any initial kinks have been worked out.

My experience has been quite the opposite and recommend anyone buy the first batches of this card. First batches of the gtx670 OC WF3 have had phenomenal overclocking. Later manufacturing runs and/or revisions of the WF3 and WF2 variants have been quite buggy or have died outright in the first six mos. or so of ownership - as you can read the newegg reviews to see what I mean.

How old is your WF3/2? Have you checked with the gigabyte or mobo manufaturer for revised drivers/bios?

System Name Current Rig
Processor AMD 7800X3D
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard Ducky Shine 5
Software Win 11 64bit
System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
My experience has been quite the opposite and recommend anyone buy the first batches of this card. First batches of the gtx670 OC WF3 have had phenomenal overclocking.

I also highly recommend Gigabyte cards to anyone thinking of getting any cards. They are always very reasonably priced and the windforce coolers are quite literally amazing.

My experience has been quite the opposite and recommend anyone buy the first batches of this card. First batches of the gtx670 OC WF3 have had phenomenal overclocking. Later manufacturing runs and/or revisions of the WF3 and WF2 variants have been quite buggy or have died outright in the first six mos. or so of ownership - as you can read the newegg reviews to see what I mean.

How old is your WF3/2? Have you checked with the gigabyte or mobo manufaturer for revised drivers/bios?

Bought mine straight after the TechPowerUp roundup which recommended them. Bios version was F1 so pretty sure it was first run. Card would be great on a non z68 or z77 mobo. As I run z77 I have to turn it down to PCI-E 2.0 which doesn't impact performance but it's bloody annoying for a £330 card. I try every bios they release, but I'm sure it's a physical problem with the board.

It's all very well you lot recommending Gigabyte cards because they perform well, but their RMA is completely crap. They basically make it so you just don't want to bother trying. They've now dropped the £15 admin fee for even accepting it as an RMA but it took them 2 months to process my card the first time and whatever fix they didn't last long. If your product is over six months when it dies they'll also only send you a B-grade/second hand one instead of a new one.

I'd rather buy a slightly slower card from a much more reliable company myself.

Oh and this is the six page thread on the official gigabyte forum about the common fault my card has:

http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,9144.0.html

And their only answer was:

"Hi guys ! Sorry for not picking up the thread earlier but I have been very busy. The problem here is that this forum (and centre) mainly deals with motherboards and the graphics card division is not here... etc"

So why do you have a blooming Graphics Card subsection? Sod off Gigabyte!

System Name PC
Processor Intel i5-3570K @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Cooling Cooler Master V8
Memory G.SKILL RipjawsX 4x4GB DDR3 1600Mhz (F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXM)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 970 (GV-N970G1 GAMING-4GD, rev. 1.0)
Storage Intel 530 180GB + Intel 520 120GB + multiple HDDs
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2770 via DVI
Case Antec Eleven Hundred
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply CORSAIR AX760
Software Windows 7 Pro x64 (w/ all updates + SP1)

Not to disrespect your comment, or give the impression that your problems aren't real, but I have been using my Gigabyte GTX670 with a z77 board for some time now (and with an AMD 770 chipset before then) and I had/have zero issues! I have it overclocked (the GPU) around what I gather to be an above-average OC for this chip, and still, no issues at all. What is this "well known" problem you are referring to, I'm just curious now.

Processor Intel i9-9900k @ 5GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi
Cooling ThermalTake Riing 240
Memory 2x8GB G-Skill 3600 CL19 @ 16-19-19-20
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 2060 Amp!
Storage 2x Samsung 860 Evo 512GB, 4x Seagate 8TB
Display(s) 2x Dell U2713H
Case CoolerMaster M500P
Power Supply ThermalTake Toughpower 730W
Software Windows 10 Pro
I never thought I'd see the day when I'd find myself preferring the reference cooler to just about every custom solution. Nvidia has really outdone themselves with this one.

Not to disrespect your comment, or give the impression that your problems aren't real, but I have been using my Gigabyte GTX670 with a z77 board for some time now (and with an AMD 770 chipset before then) and I had/have zero issues! I have it overclocked (the GPU) around what I gather to be an above-average OC for this chip, and still, no issues at all. What is this "well known" problem you are referring to, I'm just curious now.

To sum up: They released a batch of them which fail on PCI-E 3.0 on 16 lanes. 8 lanes is fine. PCI-E 2.0 is fine. Read the link if you're actually "curious" (see, I can do sarcastic quote marks too ;) )

Have to say, not really getting the hype about the reference cooler. Based on its looks at least, I find it looks quite tacky and almost cheap looking. The other coolers (like the gigabyte one) look better in my opinion, perhaps in part because they look 'more practical', and at least seem to perform as such too.

Just my thoughts.

System Name PC
Cooling Cooler Master V8
To sum up: They released a batch of them which fail on PCI-E 3.0 on 16 lanes. 8 lanes is fine. PCI-E 2.0 is fine. Read the link if you're actually "curious" (see, I can do sarcastic quote marks too ;) )
I wasn't being sarcastic, actually, I was curious. And I checked out the link. You are misrepresenting the facts here. Firstly, by "their answer" (not sarcasm, just a quote) is actually one gold member's reply who explained to you very honestly and clearly why your and the other 6 people (since I'll assume you're the 7th) discussing your problems are out of his area - I think he meant that the community forum isn't really tech support - though he did state he will inform the admin, and he updated you all that he did so - you should have mentioned that just for fairness sake. And yes, Gigabyte should address your issues, I wholeheartedly agree with you. You might laugh at my suggestion, but I'm serious - if you have any friends/acquaintances who speak Mandarin, call their HQ in Taiwan - the tech support there can get you in direct contact with engineering, and those guys will always be brutally honest. They even pushed out a BIOS update from a mobo once after I contacted them to explain a really odd phenomenon I was experiencing - and that solved my problem.

System Name Current Rig
Processor AMD 7800X3D
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard Ducky Shine 5
Software Win 11 64bit
I wasn't being sarcastic, actually, I was curious. And I checked out the link. You are misrepresenting the facts here. Firstly, by "their answer" (not sarcasm, just a quote) is actually one gold member's reply who explained to you very honestly and clearly why your and the other 6 people (since I'll assume you're the 7th) discussing your problems are out of his area - I think he meant that the community forum isn't really tech support - though he did state he will inform the admin, and he updated you all that he did so - you should have mentioned that just for fairness sake. And yes, Gigabyte should address your issues, I wholeheartedly agree with you. You might laugh at my suggestion, but I'm serious - if you have any friends/acquaintances who speak Mandarin, call their HQ in Taiwan - the tech support there can get you in direct contact with engineering, and those guys will always be brutally honest. They even pushed out a BIOS update from a mobo once after I contacted them to explain a really odd phenomenon I was experiencing - and that solved my problem.

That's good advice. The manufacturer's tech support forums are the best places to get your product issues resolved and/or newegg reviews.

Yes yes yes, then he went and abandoned the thread.. still not great is it?

So your suggestion for getting any technical help from Gigabyte is to find someone who speaks Mandarin? Sums up Gigabyte to a 'T'.

Great cards, crap company.

System Name PC
Cooling Cooler Master V8
Yes yes yes, then he went and abandoned the thread.. still not great is it?

So your suggestion for getting any technical help from Gigabyte is to find someone who speaks Mandarin? Sums up Gigabyte to a 'T'.

Great cards, crap company.
The fact that a company even dares to get customers in touch with engineers is phenomenal, and if you understood the industry beyond your narrow minded entry level emotional outbursts, you'd understand why that is. Gigabyte is a great company, sure, not perfect, but mind telling me what is your idea of a perfect company that has the ability to provide 1:1 support? Your attitude is perhaps the problem. Not to mention, you're welcome for the awesome suggestion I gave you. If the problem is too big for you to be bothered with, then take a loss, sell you card, and buy another one from another company, it really is that simple.

Last edited:
System Name [WIP]
Processor Intel Pentium G3420 [i7-4790K SOON(tm)]
Motherboard MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming
Cooling [Corsair H100i]
Memory G.Skill TridentX 2x8GB-2400-CL10 DDR3
Video Card(s) [MSI AMD Radeon R9-290 Gaming]
Storage Seagate 2TB Desktop SSHD / [Samsung 256GB 840 PRO]
Display(s) [BenQ XL2420Z]
Case [Corsair Obsidian 750D]
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Software Windows 8.1 x64 Pro / Linux Mint 15 / SteamOS
I never thought I'd see the day when I'd find myself preferring the reference cooler to just about every custom solution. Nvidia has really outdone themselves with this one.

It's decent, but in no way shape or form is it better than most if not all, the custom ones. Not to mention, considering these cards can overclock quite well, I'd hate to be hampered by TDP/thermal throttling or voltage limitations.