• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Core i7-4960X De-Lidded

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Coolaler.com community member "Toppc" scored an engineering sample of Intel's upcoming Core i7-4960X "Ivy Bridge-E" socket LGA2011 processor, and wasted no time in taking a peek inside its integrated heatspreader (IHS). Beneath the adhesive layer that holds the IHS to the package, which could be fairly easily cut through, "Toppc" discovered that Intel is using a strong epoxy/solder to fuse the processor's die to the IHS, and not a thermal paste, like on Core i7-3770K. Solders tend to have better conductivity than pastes, but make it extremely difficult to de-lid the processors, not to mention potentially disastrous. In the process of delidding this chip, "Toppc" appears to have knocked out a few components around the die. Unless you're good at precision soldering, something like that would be a fatal blow to your $1000 investment.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor 8700k Intel
Motherboard z370 MSI Godlike Gaming
Cooling Triple Aquacomputer AMS Copper 840 with D5
Memory TridentZ RGB G.Skill C16 3600MHz
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 Ti
Storage Crucial MX SSDs
Display(s) Dell U3011 2560x1600 + Dell 2408WFP 1200x1920 (Portrait)
Case Core P5 Thermaltake
Audio Device(s) Essence STX
Power Supply AX 1500i
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win10
Ya seen this earlier, would have been crazy of Intel not to solder the IHS this time around on its HEDT platform.

Let's hope Ivy-E clocks much better than SB-E now that we know it doesn't come with el cheapo TIM.

Would like to know Intel's excuse for not providing this kind of solution ATLEAST on their K chips on the 1150 platform.

System Name m1dg3t | DeathBox | HairPi 3
Processor 3570k @ 4.0 1.15v BIOS | q9550 @ 3.77 1.325v BIOS
Motherboard Asrock z77e iTX | p5q Dlx 2301 BIOS
Cooling Custom Water | D-14 & HR-03gt | Passive HSF
Memory Samsung MV-3V4G3D 4g x 2 @ 1866 1.35v | OcZ RpR 2g x 4 @ 1067 2.2v
Video Card(s) MSi 7950 tf3 @1000 / 1350 | Asus 5870 V2 @ 900 / 1275
Storage Adata sx900 256Gb / WD 2500 HHTZ | WD 1001 FALS x 2
Display(s) BenQ gw2750hm | 46" Sharp Quatron
Case BitFenix Prodigy - m0dd3d | Antec Fusion Remote MAX
Audio Device(s) Onboard Toslink > Yamaha HTR 6290 | Xonar HDAV1.3 > Yamaha DSP z7
Power Supply Ocz mXp700w | Ocz zx850w | Cannakit 5v 2.5a
Mouse Logitech G700s | Logitech G9x - Cable Repaired
Keyboard TT Meka G1 - Black w Cherry Blacks| Logitech G11
Software Win7 Home | Xp sp3 & Vista ultimate | Raspbian
Benchmark Scores Epeen!! Who needs epeen??
Couple days late btaman :eek:

At least now people know what to do in order to pop the top "safely" :)

System Name Awesomesauce 4.3 | Laptop (MSI GE72VR 6RF Apache Pro-023)
Processor Intel Core i7-5820K 4.16GHz 1.28v/3GHz 1.05v uncore | Intel Core i7-6700HQ @ 3.1GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-X99-UD5 WiFi LGA2011-v3| Stock
Cooling Corsair H100i v2 w/ 2x EK Vardar F4-120ER + various 120/140mm case fans | Stock
Memory G.Skill RJ-4 16GB DDR4-2666 CL15 quad channel | 12GB DDR4-2133
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid SC2 11GB @ 2012/5151 boost | NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB +200/+500 + Intel 530
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 500GB + Seagate 3TB 7200RPM + others | Kingston 256GB M.2 SATA + 1TB 7200RPM
Display(s) Acer G257HU 1440p 60Hz AH-IPS 4ms | 17.3" 1920*1080 60Hz wide angle TN notebook panel
Case Fractal Design Define XL R2 | MSI
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z | Realtek with quad stereo speakers and subwoofer
Power Supply Corsair HX850i Platinum | 19.5v 180w Delta brick
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 | Windows 10 Home x64
Ya seen this earlier, would have been crazy of Intel not to solder the IHS this time around on its HEDT platform.

Let's hope Ivy-E clocks much better than SB-E now that we know it doesn't come with el cheapo TIM.

Would like to know Intel's excuse for not providing this kind of solution ATLEAST on their K chips on the 1150 platform.

Perhaps Intel has been trying to nerf LGA 115x after the first two generations when it rocked. Not many people seem to buy their poopy HEDT platform because it's now two generations outdated and the mainstream platform is still "too good" I guess. If a Haswell HEDT platform were out, I would have gladly purchased one over my 1150 setup.

Processor 8700k Intel
Storage Crucial MX SSDs
Case Core P5 Thermaltake
Power Supply AX 1500i
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win10
Perhaps Intel has been trying to nerf LGA 115x after the first two generations when it rocked. Not many people seem to buy their poopy HEDT platform because it's now two generations outdated and the mainstream platform is still "too good" I guess. If a Haswell HEDT platform were out, I would have gladly purchased one over my 1150 setup.

Man you are so right, when you compare Z87 to X79 what comes out is that Z87 seems the "enthusiast" chipset rather than X79 lol.

You really don't need to be a genius to know intel is using a strong sold on their LGA2011 CPU's and will continue to do so

....ok....

We know that Intel had thermal issues with SB-e. The proof of this being the 2 lasered off cores on each die.

We know IB experimented with thermal paste, rather than solder. IB had a tendency to run hotter than SB.

Intel isn't that kind of stupid. They chose to use the more expensive solder, because their experiment with paste failed. Of course, they could have discovered this 6 months into the IB 1155 life cycle, and put out an IB-e chip then. Apparently it took another 18 month for Intel to deem it necessary.

Let's not go there. The nerfing of x79 was painful enough. The fact that the z87 PCH is better than the x79 in almost everything (yeah, less PCI-e lanes, but that's it) is severely depressing. You tend to get that though when you use a PCH that is based upon 4 year old technology when in came out (Patsburg was 65nm technology as far as I remember).

Also, look back a few days. Haswell-e is slated for release in late 2014. Broadwell will already have moved into the consumer market prior to Haswell-e entering the market.

Edit:
Thinking about this a bit more, it dawns on me. You've got about a 10% increase in CPU performance from SB to IB. You've got another approximately 10% increase from IB to Haswell (they were focusing on the GPU after all). You've therefore got about a 21% increase from SB to Haswell. The amount of overclocking you can do can narrow what gap significantly, assuming that Haswell isn't decked out in DDR4 and the like.

The difference between SB 1155 and Haswell 1150 is largely just a much upgraded PCH and IGP. The 2011 variants of these technologies forgo the IGP for more cores, so you're looking at minor gains in the CPU. The real difference is the PCH, which has been retained from SB-e to IB-e. Maybe Haswell will fix this, but as it stands the x79 disappointment stains anything a modest CPU performance increase can provide.

Last edited:
System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
thats kinda scary enough. the harder de-lid it the bigger chance you gonna kill the processor

Processor 8700k Intel
Storage Crucial MX SSDs
Case Core P5 Thermaltake
Power Supply AX 1500i
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win10
Yeah but with solder there's really no need to delid your CPU, maybe lap the IHS but even that's not needed.

He probably did it for science and to show that Intel used fluxless solder.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Yeah but with solder there's really no need to delid your CPU, maybe lap the IHS but even that's not needed.

He probably did it for science and to show that Intel used fluxless solder.
Hey now... someone put on their thinking cap!! +1!!!

The proof of this being the 2 lasered off cores on each die.
Correlation does not imply causation. The Hex's could have all been bad octo Zeon parts for all we know. There are also other thresholds, like power use to name one, that they could have been cut down. Many reasons is the point.

I believe they HAD to use solder on these parts as its a 125W Hex core CPU versus a 77/84W quad. ;)

Processor 8700k Intel
Storage Crucial MX SSDs
Case Core P5 Thermaltake
Power Supply AX 1500i
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win10
Correlation does not imply causation. The Hex's could have all been bad octo Zeon parts for all we know. There are also other thresholds, like power use to name one, that they could have been cut down. Many reasons is the point.

I believe they HAD to use solder on these parts as its a 125W Hex core CPU versus a 77/84W quad. ;)

...What?

The point was that Intel had thermal issues. These thermal issues could be caused by one of two issues; either the CPU cores generate too much heat or the heat is not transferred quickly enough from the CPU.

There are two cores lasered off, on that we can agree. This decreases thermal output by having less cores. For the sake of your argument, let's assume this was a manufacturing defect and isn't relevant.

The heat transfer can be affected in one of two ways, interface material or medium transfer. Intel not only didn't package an air cooler with the CPU, their recommendation was for a water cooling system. This means that the heat needs to be dissipated quickly, which means there is a ton being generated. The use of a solder between CPU and its metal casing means that the increased dissipation from the water cooling would not have been enough to allow for the cheaper TIM.

Intel is full of smart engineers. They don't choose a more expensive process just for giggles. Soldering costs money that they aren't willing to spend unless they have to. Economics always trumps the overclocking market.

To the "other" things argument, show me something valid. If you are saying that all 6 cores are bad 8 cores, then why are the dies all setup with the same 2 cores lasered off? To the power consumption aspect, then why are the Xeon 8 cores running off the same power sources, but at lower clocks, in the same thermal envelope? I haven't yet seen a reason that is more feasible than the thermal envelope, though if you can offer one I would gladly consider it.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
The point was that Intel had thermal issues. These thermal issues could be caused by one of two issues; either the CPU cores generate too much heat or the heat is not transferred quickly enough from the CPU.
They do... and correct.

There are two cores lasered off, on that we can agree. This decreases thermal output by having less cores.
we do agree there as well.

The heat transfer can be affected in one of two ways, interface material or medium transfer. Intel not only didn't package an air cooler with the CPU, their recommendation was for a water cooling system. This means that the heat needs to be dissipated quickly, which means there is a ton being generated. The use of a solder between CPU and its metal casing means that the increased dissipation from the water cooling would not have been enough to allow for the cheaper TIM.
Correct as well. However, it has been noted that it isnt really the material but the distance between the IHS and die + thermal paste are what made things nasty. remove that extra gap, use TIM still much better temps.

Intel is full of smart engineers. They don't choose a more expensive process just for giggles. Soldering costs money that they aren't willing to spend unless they have to. Economics always trumps the overclocking market.
Also true.

To the "other" things argument, show me something valid. If you are saying that all 6 cores are bad 8 cores, then why are the dies all setup with the same 2 cores lasered off? To the power consumption aspect, then why are the Xeon 8 cores running off the same power sources, but at lower clocks, in the same thermal envelope? I haven't yet seen a reason that is more feasible than the thermal envelope, though if you can offer one I would gladly consider it.
I didnt say all. I inferred it was possible. Its what was done in the past. Certain parts that couldnt meet Xeon octo thresholds may have been cut down to Hex and fit in those thresholds. Sure beats throwing them out, no? :laugh:

I'm not sure what you went on about up there. We agree mostly, but it looks like you may have been hung up assuming I meant ALL Hex's are broken octo's. I am just saying its possible as it has been done in the past. That, actually, is how binning works. If a CPU cant make bin A, it goes to bin B. If it cant make bin B, it goes to bin C. Look at the AMD unlocking for an example. Is really it true? Who knows... but it is just as possible. I am sure thermal considerations played a part in it as well. I hope my clarification helps ya out there. :)

Last edited: