• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Editorial Windows 8.1, and Why You Should Let Go of Windows 7

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
I just don't want to pay for it if I don't have to. I have a valid Windows 7 Pro key and I'm perfectly happy using it until I need to upgrade for some reason. Everything still supports 7, so I'm going to sit back and wait for Windows 8 and 8.1 to mature a bit before jumping ship. I see no real incentives to stop using something that does everything I need it to do perfectly fine.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
What I am is saying is that you need to stop choosing to put items on your start menu. Use Windows+Q to search for things, you can then add icons to your start menu from the search menu as you please.

And what I'm saying is why should I have to search for things and pin them to the start menu myself when before all I had to do was install the program and tell the program to create the start menu icon for me? Why do I now have to do extra work? That is in no way an improvement.

System Name Ryzen Reynolds
Processor Ryzen 1600 - 4.0Ghz 1.415v - SMT disabled
Motherboard mATX Asrock AB350m AM4
Cooling Raijintek Leto Pro
Memory Vulcan T-Force 16GB DDR4 3000 16.18.18 @3200Mhz 14.17.17
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ 4GB RX 580 - 1450/2000 BIOS mod 8-)
Storage Seagate B'cuda 1TB/Sandisk 128GB SSD
Display(s) Acer ED242QR 75hz Freesync
Case Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair VS 550w
Mouse Zalman ZM-M401R
Keyboard Razor Lycosa
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/6220813
And what I'm saying is why should I have to search for things and pin them to the start menu myself when before all I had to do was install the program and tell the program to create the start menu icon for me? Why do I now have to do extra work? That is in no way an improvement.

It's not really a big issue either though is it?

System Name Desktop | Laptop
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Intel Core i7 7700HQ
Motherboard MAG X570S Torpedo Max| Neptune KLS HM175
Cooling Corsair H100x | Twin fan, fin stack & heat pipes
Memory 32GB G.Skill F4-3600C16-8GVK @ 3600MHz / 16-16-16-36-1T | 16GB DDR4 @ 2400MHz / 17-17-17-39-2T
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB + Kingston KC3000 2TB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 970 Evo 500GB
Display(s) 32" Dell G3223Q (2160p @ 144Hz) | 17" IPS 1920x1080P
Case Fractal Meshify 2 Compact | Aspire V Nitro BE
Audio Device(s) ifi Audio ZEN DAC V2 + Focal Radiance / HyperX Solocast
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 1000W | 150W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate | Logitech MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Razer Huntsman V2 Optical (Linear Red)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Just another example of Microsoft getting ahead of their time, it seems.

System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular

There is barely any work involved in doing what I previously said. I mean you act like moving your hand to the to select an app after pressing Windows+Q is an 8 hour day of work.

System Name Desktop | Laptop
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Intel Core i7 7700HQ
Motherboard MAG X570S Torpedo Max| Neptune KLS HM175
Cooling Corsair H100x | Twin fan, fin stack & heat pipes
Memory 32GB G.Skill F4-3600C16-8GVK @ 3600MHz / 16-16-16-36-1T | 16GB DDR4 @ 2400MHz / 17-17-17-39-2T
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB + Kingston KC3000 2TB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 970 Evo 500GB
Display(s) 32" Dell G3223Q (2160p @ 144Hz) | 17" IPS 1920x1080P
Case Fractal Meshify 2 Compact | Aspire V Nitro BE
Audio Device(s) ifi Audio ZEN DAC V2 + Focal Radiance / HyperX Solocast
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 1000W | 150W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate | Logitech MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Razer Huntsman V2 Optical (Linear Red)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
I mean you act like moving your hand to the to select an app after pressing Windows+Q is an 8 hour day of work.

Gotta admit, that was funny. :laugh:

If one thing, today's PC's aren't ready for Win8. Not until everything is touch-enabled anyway.

If you don't have a touch-enabled screen, Win8 is a horror. using it on a notebook with a sunken touchpad, I noticed that I couldn't get the swipes to be understood by the system half of the time.. and the other half of the time I'm alt-tabing out of applications because my thumb touched the track-pad a bit too much to the left.

Win8 is over-simplified.. even if it is a "smartphone OS" it is too simplistic. It's actually iOS level of simplistic. I don't want to only see which Wi-Fi networks are available, I want to refresh that list, because I know that my AP is up and running.. why do you make me wait Windows. See, in Win7, there's a refresh Icon. On my phone with Jelly Bean, there's a refresh button.. I don't need to wait for whenever some poopie engineer in Redmond thinks I'm ready to connect to my AP.

And the list goes on, It shows applications in the tile menu, that aren't actually installed. I like to see what my system is doing, not "15% of fuck-all finished"

The first Windows Updates you're installing after you've first restarted your system. Even wit the latest Haswell CPU, a 700 series GeForce and 16GB of RAM.. I'm staring at "15% complete" for 45 g-damn minutes.. really.. don't do this to me.. or at least tell me WHAT you're doing so I can comprehend.

This Apple like thinking "Oh, you don't need to know we're re-arranging some bits" is infuriating, at least tell me why you're so slow!

The whole over-simplification just simply doesn't work on a PC. even my mom&dad who've only recently started with a PC don't like Win8. Why? they like to see a picture of their grandchildren when the PC starts up and they need two icons on their desktop, one that brings them to Facebook and one that lets them play games. You know how much they care about the weather in Tahiti or current stock listings? exactly!

Win8 shows exactly what is wrong with opportunistic thinking and how you just can't steamroll a bad idea into the PC business, because after all, the PC Business is suffering, not only the users that want their Start menu back.

System Name Custom Built
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus PRIME A520M-A
Cooling Stock heatsink/fan
Memory 16GB 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400MHz
Video Card(s) MSI 1050Ti 4GB
Storage KINGSTON SNVS250G 256GB M.2 + 2 data disks
Display(s) Dell S2421NX
Case Aerocool CS103
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Power Supply Seasonic M12II-520 EVO
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Here is what it comes down to, for you two and everyone else arguing about it. This is coming from someone that has used Windows 8 since before it was released.

For everyone that prefer the Start Menu and no Metro simply installing ClassicShell/Start8/Startisback will fix Windows 8 for you. There really are some nice features in Win8. However, at the same time I don't think any of those features are worth paying a large amount of money for. So the people that are on Windows 7, IMO, are completely in the right to say they are sticking with it. It is a solid OS. I wouldn't be using Win8 right now if I didn't get it for practically nothing, and I still don't use it on my main computer.

Now, we also have to understand that a lot of people will not buy or use Win8 based on principle. They don't feel that Microsoft forcing Metro on us is right. And, honestly, I'm in agreement there. So to them buying a copy of Win8 would be telling Microsoft it is OK to force us to use things we don't want to use, it is OK to do things that we believe hinder the usability of the OS and not give us the option to change it. The simple fact is that all Microsoft had to do was leave the option to disable Metro and use the standard Start Menu in the OS and 99% of the arguments against Win8 would be solve. They didn't have to make it the default, they can still have Metro enabled at first, but just give us the option to no use it if we want. IMO, and in the opinions of a lot of other people, the best version of Win8 was the Developer Preview because it had that exact option. So we know that it is possible, but Microsoft decided to remove it.

A lot of people believe they can vote with their wallets, and to an extent it works. Microsoft isn't totally insane. The terrible XboxOne pre-sales make them do a completely 180 on their hardline stance on DRM. So it is possible to send a message to Microsoft with our wallets. However, in that case Microsoft has some pretty heavy competition. In the OS field they have basically no competition, so the change takes a lot longer, but it is still possible. The horrible sales of Win8 has caused Microsoft to at least start to address the issue we have, even if they did so in a laughable insulting way. The fact is that Win8 is a marketing failure, and sales have been terrible. The only reason sales are even anything close to what they are is because Microsoft no longer allows the major computer OEMs to sell new computers with Win7, they have to have Win8 licences. Even if the computer is sold with Win7, it is a downgrade using a Win8 license. That means that computers sold today with Win7 on them actually count as a sale of Win8. But if you look at the market share of Win8 it is lower than OSX at this point, and that is a big black eye to Microsoft. And people have been avoiding buying new computers because of Windows 8. Computer sales have been down dramatically since Windows 8 was released, and market analysts all say it is because people don't want Windows 8. Microsoft is responding to this.

No, sorry for the confusion, there are more steps than that I was just saying where you get the source files.

This should help: http://forums.mydigitallife.info/th...e-Microsoft-Games-from-Windows-7-in-Windows-8

Yes, MS should have done a option to enable Start menu and disable Metro. Because that would make people adapt better. Like Windows XP option to enable classic (Windows 98) Start Menu and interface. I think that is shouldn't be so hard to MS to do that. Believing people will adapt to or like Metro easily was delusional, because Metro is very different than what people is used. Besides, Metro has obvious faults, as it's clearly for touchscreens. Not for mouse and keyboard computers. I don't see the point of Metro apps on bigger screens with a mouse o keyboard. That's more proper in a tablet or phone. I would want to imagine a Windows 8 without Metro, or being it optional.

But still, specially for new computers with Windows 8 preinstalled, is easy to remove Metro as above and make Windows 8 more Windows 7-like with Windows 8 non-metro features. And then you get a wonderful OS with no or less usability issues... I understand that some people want to "boycott" MS to change their mentality but, sooner or later, you will be "forced", as happened from windows 98 to XP.

At least for me, the new features aside from Metro are worth it, specially the Fast Boot, and the overall performance improvements. But I understand not everyone needs them/likes them. And those things make people choose or not to choose upgrade.

Many thanks for the link. I will try to get a Windows 7 64 computer and get the files :)

If one thing, today's PC's aren't ready for Win8. Not until everything is touch-enabled anyway.

If you don't have a touch-enabled screen, Win8 is a horror. using it on a notebook with a sunken touchpad, I noticed that I couldn't get the swipes to be understood by the system half of the time.. and the other half of the time I'm alt-tabing out of applications because my thumb touched the track-pad a bit too much to the left.

Win8 is over-simplified.. even if it is a "smartphone OS" it is too simplistic. It's actually iOS level of simplistic. I don't want to only see which Wi-Fi networks are available, I want to refresh that list, because I know that my AP is up and running.. why do you make me wait Windows. See, in Win7, there's a refresh Icon. On my phone with Jelly Bean, there's a refresh button.. I don't need to wait for whenever some poopie engineer in Redmond thinks I'm ready to connect to my AP.

And the list goes on, It shows applications in the tile menu, that aren't actually installed. I like to see what my system is doing, not "15% of fuck-all finished"

The first Windows Updates you're installing after you've first restarted your system. Even wit the latest Haswell CPU, a 700 series GeForce and 16GB of RAM.. I'm staring at "15% complete" for 45 g-damn minutes.. really.. don't do this to me.. or at least tell me WHAT you're doing so I can comprehend.

This Apple like thinking "Oh, you don't need to know we're re-arranging some bits" is infuriating, at least tell me why you're so slow!

The whole over-simplification just simply doesn't work on a PC. even my mom&dad who've only recently started with a PC don't like Win8. Why? they like to see a picture of their grandchildren when the PC starts up and they need two icons on their desktop, one that brings them to Facebook and one that lets them play games. You know how much they care about the weather in Tahiti or current stock listings? exactly!

Win8 shows exactly what is wrong with opportunistic thinking and how you just can't steamroll a bad idea into the PC business, because after all, the PC Business is suffering, not only the users that want their Start menu back.

Yeah, Microsoft is acting like Apple, that's true. I prefer the openness of Android, Linux which are not too simple as iOS or Mac OS or Metro (even when Metro is sometimes more difficult. Though some people don't.

Last edited:

ueutyi

System Name Tenku Pailok
Processor Intel Core i7 3820
Motherboard Asus P9 X79 PRO
Cooling Corsair H55 with 2 additional fans
Memory 8GB ADATA DDR3
Video Card(s) Radeon HD 7970 MSI
Storage A WD Caviar Green 1TB 5400rpm
Power Supply Corsair AX750+Coolermaster 700W
Benchmark Scores X3682 - 3DMark 11
I started to use Windows 8 Developer Preview about two years ago, and now I'm using Windows Server 2012 + Windows 8.1 Bulid 9364

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
It's not really a big issue either though is it?

Of course not, but it is an annoyance and a step backwards.

There is barely any work involved in doing what I previously said. I mean you act like moving your hand to the to select an app after pressing Windows+Q is an 8 hour day of work.

No it isn't a lot of work, but it is more work than I had to do before, which is NOT an improvement. That is the point. As I've already probably made clear in this thread I use ClassicShell anyway, so for me it is a moot point. However, I should never have to do extra work, they should be making things more efficient, not making people do more work to get functionality that was already there in the previous version.

And while it might not be an 8 hour day of work, with all the programs I install right off the bat when I re-format my computer it does add up to about an hour of just sitting there searching for each program and pinning it to the start screen. That is an hour that I didn't have to waste before.

System Name potato
Processor Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Custom WC Loop
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600
Video Card(s) RTX3090
Storage 512GB, 2TB NVMe + 2TB SATA || 32TB spinning rust
Display(s) XIAOMI Curved 34" 144Hz UWQHD
Case be quiet dark base pro 900
Audio Device(s) Edifier R1800T, Logitech G733
Power Supply Corsair HX1000
Mouse Logitech G Pro
Keyboard Logitech G913
Software win 11 amd64
no bta, ain't letting win 7 go, not now, not for win 8/8.1, definitely not for your long and tiring-to-read editorial. nice try tho :roll:

i don't like MS not giving me options. why can't i get to choose between a win 7-like start menu or modern ui? how hard can it be to provide that, MS? :shadedshu

but above all, coz autocad don't run well on win 8, so am sticking with win 7 :cool:

System Name Lynni PS \ Lenowo TwinkPad T480
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700 Raphael \ i7-8550U Kaby Lake-R
Motherboard ASRock B650M PG Riptide Bios v. 2.02 AMD AGESA 1.1.0.0 \ Lenowo 20L60036MX Bios 1.47
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black (Only middle fan) \ Lenowo WN-2
Memory G.Skill Flare X5 2x16GB DDR5 6000MHZ CL36-36-36-96 AMD EXPO \ Willk Elektronik 2x16GB 2666MHZ CL17
Video Card(s) Asus GeForce RTX™ 4070 Dual OC GPU: 2325-2355 MEM: 1462| Nvidia GeForce MX™ 150 2GB GDDR5 Micron
Storage Gigabyte M30 1TB|Sabrent Rocket 2TB| HDD: 10TB|1TB \ SKHynix 256GB 2242 3x2
Display(s) LG UltraGear 27GP850-B 1440p@165Hz | LG 48CX OLED 4K HDR | AUO 14" 1440p IPS
Case Asus Prime AP201 White Mesh | Lenowo T480 chassis
Audio Device(s) Steelseries Arctis Pro Wireless
Power Supply Be Quiet! Pure Power 12 M 750W Goldie | 65W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeedy Wireless | Lenowo TouchPad & Logitech G305
Keyboard Akko 3108 DS Horizon V2 Cream Yellow | T480 UK Lumi
Software Win11 Pro 23H2 UK
Benchmark Scores 3DMARK: https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/89434432? GPU-Z: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/details/v3zbr
well i think it's oki Microsoft wanna try new things but they should let ppl choose if they want the old Windows 7 start menu or the new modern layout like Windows 8.1...

if and when i update to 8.1 when RTM is out, i think i will use the ClassicStart i got from ninite awhile back i like the button icon and easy to mod as i want...

Processor Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard ASUS Prime X470 Pro
Cooling Arctic liquid freezer II 240
Memory 2 x 16 Gb Gskill Trident Z 3600 Mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3060 Ti OC
Storage Samsung 960 EVO 500 Gb / 860 EVO 1 Tb
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Case Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G703
Keyboard Logitech G513
Software Win 11
Well if im killing PC by using windows 7 then let it die
Windows 8 has some good things but the UI is a huge step in the wrong direction
As many others have said it is optimized for touch, good thing the majority of enthusiast don't own a touch enabled monitor.
If i wanted a metro styled UI to fumble through i would just by an xbox.

Windows 8 is Microsoft's way of getting us use to this "Metro UI" trash on PCs. I have a very bad feeling that Windows 9 or 10 will be Metro only. This is of course all about money. If they go down this road, all the software you run on your PC will have to be bought directly through their "app store" they will make 30% or whatever on every program you run on your PC.

They don't are care about customers, or usability of their OS. They just want to take more of our money, and that's what Windows 8 is all about. They see how apple and google sell all of their mobile apps through their own stores, and they want to bring this concept to the desktop. They will stop and nothing to make it happen. They don't care about the impact it has on us enthusiasts, because the public at large doesn't even care. They just want their phones and tablets and don't care about the desktop, and this is what these companies want. The desktop is not profitable for them anymore, so this is how MS plans to change that.

This article is funny, because it just doesn't see the bigger picture. Sure the start screen is just a full screen menu. But it doesn't look at why MS would do this. Why would they want us to use full screen "apps" on our desktop? So they can sell them to us.

What about traditional multi-tasking? I mean shouldn't Windows have you know, windows? I know I like to have many programs running at once, in separate windows that I can resize and place where I want. You cannot do that in Metro. It's a step backwards in desktop usability, all in the name of forcing people into tablets, which in turn will eventually turn Windows into a metro only mobile OS, all so they can make more money.

And what about multi-monitors? They will become useless. Windows 8 is starting us down a road of going backwards in usability.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Good editorial, except this:
Windows 95 was Microsoft's response to PCs that were firmly capable of GUI, at a time when people at large were getting the hang of using a mouse.
That was Windows 3.1. Windows 95 was all about 32-bit (IA-32) and the advantages that brought over 16-bit (seriously, 65,536 bytes of memory, WTF were they thinking!?!).

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO 360 - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6

Processor Intel Core i9 13900KF
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Hero EVA Edition
Cooling Asus Ryujin II 360 EVA Edition
Memory 4x16GBs DDR5 6800MHz G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo Series
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 4090 AMP Extreme Airo
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro OS - 4TB Nextorage G Series Games - 8TBs WD Black Storage
Display(s) LG C2 OLED 42" 4K 120Hz HDR G-Sync enabled TV
Case Asus ROG Helios EVA Edition
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S910W - 7.1 Klipsch Dolby ATMOS Speaker Setup - Audeze Maxwell
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 1300W
Mouse Asus ROG Keris EVA Edition - Asus ROG Scabbard II EVA Edition
Keyboard Asus ROG Strix Scope EVA Edition
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey VR
Software Windows 11 Pro 64bit
To me Win 8 Pro was a good upgrade at $15 when it came out, I would've never paid the full retail price coming from win7, but at the price of a movie ticket and a soda, I thought I would give it a shot, I installed it in all my PCs, and immediately installed start is back ($3 for 2 PCs) and to me is like having the best of both worlds.

8.1 seems to fix a few things, but the start button isn't still as functional as the original one, I'm happy with start is back, I hope I can still use it when I upgrade to 8.1

I see your Jackson:

And raise with Costanza:

FordGT90Concept said:
That was Windows 3.1. Windows 95 was all about 32-bit (IA-32).

Now, Windows 3's (or ANY proper GUI for that matter) biggest boon for that matter was real multitasking.

In no way, I can find Window's 8 task switching faster or more efficient. I've already discussed the idiocy of charms on the desktop (I constantly get that task charm, instead of the first icon in the bottom left TYVM), it only shows the application screen and not a big icon like on the traditional Windows desktop, so I have no idea if I'm clicking IE, FireFox or Chrome... and in the Metro interface it's a ridiculous number of swipes away.

I formatted my SSD after playing with Windows 8.1 Preview for a day and restored Windows 7 from a backup. All this Metro UI / Start Screen is just wrong. I mean i would use it on a tablet but not on desktop PC. And "new" Start button made my quite angry, it's like on that picture few pages back, screaming "F**k you!". Ok Microsoft, my wallet is screaming same your way :ohwell:

System Name Desktop
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600X [3.7GHz/4.6GHz][6C/12T]
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PRO [X570]
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition
Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB [DDR4 3600][2x16GB][16-19-19-39@1.35V]
Video Card(s) ASUS KO GeForce RTX 3060 Ti V2 OC Edition 8GB GDDR6 [511.65]
Storage [OS] Samsung 970 Evo 500GB | [Storage] 980 1TB | 860 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GB | Seagate Firecuda 2TB
Display(s) LG 27GL850 [27"][2560x1440@144Hz][Nano IPS][LED][G-SYNC Compatible][DP]
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC S1200A High Definition Audio CODEC
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G1+ [+12V: 83.3A 999.6W][80 Plus Gold]
Mouse Logitech M570 Trackball
Keyboard Corsair Gaming K55 RGB
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Pro [21H1][64-bit]
Windows 8 is Microsoft's way of getting us use to this "Metro UI" trash on PCs. I have a very bad feeling that Windows 9 or 10 will be Metro only.

Provided there is a Windows 9 in the near future, Windows 8.1 foreshadows a business plan similar to OSX.

System Name Vulcan
Processor i6 6600K
Motherboard GIGABYTE Z170X UD3
Cooling Thermaltake Frio Silent 14
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix GTX 970
Storage Mushkin Enhanced Reactor 1TB SSD
Display(s) QNIX 27 Inch 1440p
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Cooler Master V750
Software Win 10 64-bit
1. Install Windows 7

I got you all beat.

Step 1, there is no step 1.

Step 2, there is no step 1.

You already have win7.

System Name PC
Processor Intel i5-3570K @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Cooling Cooler Master V8
Memory G.SKILL RipjawsX 4x4GB DDR3 1600Mhz (F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXM)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 970 (GV-N970G1 GAMING-4GD, rev. 1.0)
Storage Intel 530 180GB + Intel 520 120GB + multiple HDDs
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2770 via DVI
Case Antec Eleven Hundred
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply CORSAIR AX760
Software Windows 7 Pro x64 (w/ all updates + SP1)
I can't wait for Windows 9 to come out so that we can laugh at all these "suck it up" editorials that are going about it the same way as they (probably) went on with Vista: trying to convince us that everything was (is) right with it, and that the problem is the user...

Screw that! I tried 8, I could not get used to it. I went from XP, to Vista, to 7 - I used all versions of Android, I used a BlackBerry, various simple UI's in lesser devices, and I never have any issues getting used to things, but when something isn't intuitive, then it stands out as a load of cr*p - and Windows 8 takes the crown for that ATM. 8.1 might be a step towards the right direction, but it's travelling on the wrong road, so it matters not.

System Name Staggered
Processor Intel i5 6600k (XSPC Rasa)
Motherboard Gigabyte Z170 Gaming K3
Cooling RX360 (3*Scythe GT1850) + RX240 (2*Scythe GT1850) + Laing D5 Vario (with EK X-Top V2)
Memory 2*8gb Team Group Dark @3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 1.25v
Video Card(s) Inno3D GTX 1070 HerculeZ
Storage 256gb Samsung 830 + 2*1tB Samsung F3 + 2*2tB Samsung F4EG
Display(s) Flatron W3000H 2560*1600
Case Cooler Master ATCS 840 + 1*120 GT1850 (exhaust) + 1*230 Spectre Pro + Lamptron FC2 (fan controller)
Power Supply Enermax Revolution 85+ 1250W
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
I don't use the start screen. I didn't use to use the start menu. Since Vista, I've used the taskbar for 95% of the things I'd use a start menu/screen for, explorer and desktop for the other 5%.
So, to me, this is just a performance and DX update.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
I got you all beat.

Step 1, there is no step 1.

Step 2, there is no step 1.

You already have win7.

Weird same batch of steps I have. Mine however was fixing the issue for windows 8 users :laugh: