• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Reports 2013 Second Quarter Results

AMD today announced revenue for the second quarter of 2013 of $1.16 billion, an operating loss of $29 million and a net loss of $74 million, or $0.10 per share. The company reported a non-GAAP operating loss of $20 million and a non-GAAP net loss of $65 million, or $0.09 per share.

"Our focus on restructuring and transforming AMD resulted in improved financial results," said Rory Read, AMD president and CEO. "Our performance in the second quarter was driven by opportunities in our new high-growth and traditional PC businesses. Looking ahead, we will continue to deliver a strong value proposition to our established customers and also reach new customers as we diversify our business. We expect significant revenue growth and a return to profitability in the third quarter."

Q2 2013 Reportable Segment Name Change
AMD's Graphics reportable segment has been renamed Graphics and Visual Solutions. The new reportable segment nomenclature provides greater clarity on the product lines that comprise the segment and reflects the growing importance of gaming and semi-custom offerings to AMD. There is no change to the composition of this reportable segment from what was previously reported.

AMD's two reportable segments continue to be comprised of the following:
  • The Computing Solutions segment, which includes microprocessors (MPUs), accelerated processing units (APUs), chipsets, embedded processors and servers; and
  • The Graphics and Visual Solutions segment, comprised of graphic processing units (GPUs), including professional graphics, as well as revenue from semi-custom products and development and game console royalties.

Quarterly Financial Summary
  • Gross margin was 40 percent in Q2 2013.
    Gross margin decreased sequentially. Q2 2013 gross margin included an $11 million benefit from sales of inventory that had been previously reserved in Q3 2012 and this positively impacted gross margin by 1 percentage point as compared to a similar $20 million benefit in Q1 2013 which positively impacted gross margin by 2 percentage points.
  • Cash, cash equivalents and marketable securities balance, including long-term marketable securities, was $1.1 billion at the end of the quarter.
  • Computing Solutions segment revenue increased 12 percent sequentially and decreased 20 percent year-over-year. The sequential increase was due to significantly higher notebook unit shipments and higher server and desktop unit shipments. The year-over-year decline was driven by lower unit shipments and microprocessor Average Selling Price (ASP).
    Operating income was $2 million, compared with an operating loss of $39 million in Q1 2013 and operating income of $82 million in Q2 2012. Q2 2013 operating income included an $11 million benefit from sales of inventory that had been previously reserved and Q1 2013 operating income included a similar $20 million benefit.
    Microprocessor ASP decreased sequentially and year-over-year.
  • Graphics and Visual Solutions segment revenue decreased 5 percent sequentially and decreased 13 percent year-over-year. GPU revenue was flat sequentially and declined year-over-year.
    Operating income was breakeven compared with $16 million in Q1 2013 and $31 million in Q2 2012.
    GPU ASP decreased sequentially and increased year-over-year.

Recent Highlights
  • AMD introduced several new client processors in the quarter:
    The new AMD Elite Performance, AMD Mainstream and AMD Elite Mobility A-Series APUs offer dramatically increased performance and power efficiency compared to prior AMD APUs. Acer, Asus, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Samsung have begun to roll out products based on these latest A-Series APUs.
    The AMD Elite Mobility A-Series APU for tablets, hybrids and small form factor notebooks won the 2013 "Best Choice of Computex Taipei" award.
    AMD launched its 2013 Elite A-Series APU for the desktop channel, delivering leading performance, discrete-level graphics and an easy upgrade infrastructure.
    AMD unveiled the AMD FX-9590 desktop processor, the world's first commercially available 5 GHz x86 processor capable of delivering new levels of gaming and multimedia performance.
  • Microsoft announced the Xbox One, its next-generation gaming console featuring a semi-custom, System-on-Chip (SoC) AMD APU. AMD technology is inside all three of the next generation gaming consoles: Nintendo Wii U, Sony PS4, and Xbox One.
  • AMD launched the AMD Opteron X-Series processors, the industry's most efficient x86 server processors.
  • AMD provided additional details on its 2014 products for the fast-growing data center and cloud computing markets; including introducing best-in-class APUs, two- and four-socket x86 CPUs, and its first 64-bit ARM server processor.
  • AMD announced the new AMD Embedded G-Series SoC. The single-chip APU solution delivers more than double the CPU performance while running multiple industry-standard compute-intensive benchmarks compared to the Intel Atom.
  • For enthusiasts who want to take their PC gaming to the next level, AMD introduced the fastest desktop and notebook graphics solutions in the world.
  • Apple announced its newest Mac Pro will feature dual AMD FirePro graphics cards. The unique solution offers improved visual and general computing performance of the high-end system, providing the power needed by the most demanding digital content creators.

Current Outlook
For the third quarter of 2013, AMD expects revenue to increase 22 percent, plus or minus 3 percent, sequentially.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Current Rig
Processor AMD 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI x670e Tomahawk wifi
Cooling Artic Freezer II 360
Memory G.Skill 32gb ddr5 6000mhz
Video Card(s) AMD 7900XTX 24 GB
Storage Samsung SSD 980 PRO 2TB
Display(s) Alienware 3420DW 120 Freesync
Case LianLi Lancool III white non-rgb
Audio Device(s) Onboard ALC
Power Supply Corsair Shift 1000W
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard Ducky Shine 5
Software Win 11 64bit
Benchmark Scores The second best!
Time to buy AMD stock yet? Seems they have their hands in several pots - ARM, MS, Sony and Nintendo.

It seams they've turned the corner where they were hurting the most in the CPU division.

-38% in and they were able to regain traction +12%

If the outlook pans out (between +19 to +25%) next quarter they will be out of the red.

A plus is they haven't been loosing as much as there competitor has in the GPU division the past couple of quarters so that helps.

There SoCs hybrids in servers will be the thing to watch and how well their APUs get adapted into the market in devices.

The Fixer

Last edited by a moderator:

Cyclops

They're still sinking eh? Let's hope their investment in the console market pays off in the long run.

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
Time to buy AMD stock yet? Seems they have their hands in several pots - ARM, MS, Sony and Nintendo.

Oh I already did I am up quite a bit :laugh:

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11

You're about three months too late... Unless you feel that their stock can go higher, it's still cheap. :)

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
You're about three months too late... Unless you feel that their stock can go higher, it's still cheap. :)

$2.28-3.96 buy in for me :laugh:

Thankfully for all consumers AMD is moving forward. They have done a good job of reorganizing the company and securing product contracts for numerous products across many markets and industries which reduces their vulnerability to the current economic recession. It's all good for consumers as AMD is the one bringing better products to market with their superior APUs that will soon cover all market segments from laptops to desktop entry, mid-level, high end and the same in servers along with some portable devices. APUs are the PC future and AMD is leading the way, which means great products at excellent prices.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
really? oems are rolling out products with the elite apus? where? ive yet to see one except for the msi gx60/70. where are the 13 and 14 inch a10 laptops? where are the a10 laptops, period?

System Name Game Raver
Processor Core i7-770K
Motherboard ASRock Z170A-X1
Cooling Coolermaster AIO
Memory 16gb
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage 1TB Crucial SSD. 4TB Seagate HDD
Display(s) AOC 1080p 144Hz
Case NZXT Phantom 410 /w/ Silverstone FN121P-BL fans
Audio Device(s) ASUS Essence STX
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Less stock talking, more driver coding.

Processor Intel Core i5 3570k
Motherboard MSI Z77 MPower
Cooling Thermalright Archon
Memory Crucial Ballistix Elite 2x4GB 1600MHz (8-8-8-24)
Video Card(s) MSI Geforce GTX 1060 6GB Gaming X
Storage Plextor M5 Pro 512GB; WD Caviar Green 2TB
Display(s) 2x HP ZR24w
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Special Edition Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-650
Mouse Logitech G403 HERO
Keyboard SteelSeries 7G
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit EN
really? oems are rolling out products with the elite apus? where? ive yet to see one except for the msi gx60/70. where are the 13 and 14 inch a10 laptops? where are the a10 laptops, period?

I was wondering this as well. Other than those fugly MSI gaming laptops I can't find any A10 based laptop. I was rather interested in an A10-5750M based laptop but I simly can't find any... Are OEM's simply not adopting the mobile Richland chips? If so for what reasons?

HammerON

The Watchful Moderator
Staff member
System Name Threadripper
Processor 3960X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix TRX40-XE
Cooling XSPC Raystorm Neo (sTR4) Water Block
Memory G. Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB 3600
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4090
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB + WD Black SN850 1TB
Display(s) Dell 32" Curved Gaming Monitor (S3220DGF)
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) On-board
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G5
Mouse Roccat Kone Pure
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Always changing~

Looking at charts:
YTD:

One year:

2 years:

5 years:

Maximum years:

I am not a financial advisor so invest in AMD if you want to. However also look at their EPS (-1.14) and their Beta (2.54). I like what I am seeing from AMD however I am not sure how high their stock price will rise.