• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Noctua Offers Alternative Mounting Option for NH-L9a Cooler Free of Charge

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Noctua today announced the availability of an alternative mounting option for its NH-L9a low profile heatsink. The new option does not make use of a backplate and thus now permits to install the NH-L9a on AMD mainboards that have components in the area at the rear side that is reserved for the backplate in the AMD specifications. The new mounting parts will be provided to NH-L9a users free of charge.

"The SecuFirm2 mounting system of the NH-L9a complies strictly to the AMD specifications and guarantees 100% compatibility with mainboards that follow these specifications", explains Mag. Roland Mossig (Noctua CEO). "We've been overwhelmed with the great press and customer feedback on this cooler, but unfortunately, some mini-ITX mainboards do not follow the AMD specifications, so the NH-L9a could not be installed on these. We have now designed an alternative mounting option and will provide the new parts to customers who need it free of charge."

Since their introduction in late 2012, Noctua's NH-L9 series low profile coolers have already won more than 100 awards and recommendations from the international press. The NH-L9a's original mounting system uses a backplate as per the AMD specifications in order to assure perfect contact pressure and to prevent the mainboard from being bent. However, this system is incompatible with mainboards such as the ASRock FM2A75M-ITX or FM2A85X-ITX, which do not use a stock backplate and have components on the rear side, inside the area which, according to the AMD specifications, is reserved for the backplate. The new, alternative mounting option makes use of four separate spacers instead of the backplate and thus allows to install the cooler on these mainboards.

Customers can obtain the new mounting parts from Noctua's customer service free of charge after providing a proof of purchase (scan, photo or electronic copy of the invoice) of both a Noctua NH-L9a heatsink and an AMD mainboard that is incompatible with the original mounting system.

In addition, the new NM-APS3 spacers will from now on be included within the NH-L9a's scope of delivery, making it compatible with mainboards such as the ASRock FM2A75M-ITX or FM2A85X-ITX out of the box.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

We have to agree one thing, that Noctua offers the best support for mounting mechanisms. Most others just leave you at buying new cooler. But not Noctua. I have to credit them for that even though i'm not a big fan of ther mounting systems, color schemes and their fans...

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
We have to agree one thing, that Noctua offers the best support for mounting mechanisms. Most others just leave you at buying new cooler. But not Noctua. I have to credit them for that even though i'm not a big fan of ther mounting systems, color schemes and their fans...

+1
Never and will never buy their stuff, but their customer service is notably the best.

What's wrong with the mounting system? Its one of the best, if not the best Ive worked with, and I have tried almost every cooler out there.

System Name ChaosMoes
Processor Intel® Core™ i5-3570K no OC yet
Motherboard Asrock Z77 Extreme4
Cooling Scythe Ninja 3 Rev. B
Memory 16GB 2xPatriot DIMM 8 GB DDR3-1866 Kit (PV38G186C9KRD, Viper 3 Venom Red)
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 590 Phantom Gaming X 8GB GDDR5 188€@13.07.19 Amazon Sale
Storage Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256GB, + ST32000645NS Seagate Constellation 109€ reichelt.de 2012
Display(s) 27" Phillips PHL 276E9Q 189€ @ Saturn(Germany) 1.09.2018
Case Zaria A20 !!!THANK YOU TECHPOWERUP.COM!!!
Audio Device(s) onboard Sound
Power Supply SeaSonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Microsoft SideWinder X4 Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
well i haven't bought them yet as the where always 10%~15% more expinse while offering only a bit or no more performance...

i had a good experience with scythe customer service too, they made up a mounting kit from trash parts just to get my mugen fit on a stupid server type board ^^

The problem with Noctua is that their performance doesnt justify the price.

A Fan that costs $60-$80 should literally be able to levitate several inches above your desk/floor, and be as silent as the vacuum of space. Yet there are $10 fans that blow more air, are quieter, and look better. Period.

I don't buy their products either for the same reasons but it is nice that they are providing an optional mounting method to compensate for braindead mobo makers. It would be good however to NOT buy mobos from companies who put components on the mobo where they are not suppose to be ths causing HSF mounting issues. These companies should be publicly chastised for their technical ignorance.

The problem with Noctua is that their performance doesnt justify the price.

A Fan that costs $60-$80 should literally be able to levitate several inches above your desk/floor, and be as silent as the vacuum of space. Yet there are $10 fans that blow more air, are quieter, and look better. Period.
The coolers are actually quite the bargain considering the prices of the fans alone.

That said, they still arent very cheap but there are coolers that cost the same and performs very similar. The pricey bit only applies to the fans, not the coolers.

treboRR

System Name My Rig
Processor I7 2600K @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD7 B3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws X @ 1610MHz 9-9-9-24 1T
Video Card(s) 2xMSI GTX 580 Lightning @ SLI
Storage 2x HDD for data and 1xSSD OCZ Agility 3 128GB
Display(s) Benq XL2410T @ 120Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 650D
Audio Device(s) SB Titanium OEM
Power Supply Corsair HX1050
Software Windows 7 64x
The coolers are actually quite the bargain considering the prices of the fans alone.

That said, they still arent very cheap but there are coolers that cost the same and performs very similar. The pricey bit only applies to the fans, not the coolers.

+1 And I am sure that take what ever fan you want, you simply just can't compare them with noctua fans, what i mean is quality! I am sure that these fans will most def run much much longer than other fans! PERIOD!

U JUST JELLY! :pimp:

overpass

I was able to purchase a NH-D12 at around $49...one just have to know when and where to look for bargains and sales. And later on I requested and got a mounting kit for free that shipped rather quick. All around the experience dealing with them was very satisfactory with the product and service.

Last edited:

treboRR

System Name My Rig
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Software Windows 7 64x
I was able to purchase a NH-D12 at around $49...one just have to know when and where to look for bargains and sales. And later on I requested and got a mounting kit for free that shipped rather quick. All around the experience dealing with them was very satisfactory with the product and service.

+1 yeah, i requested the mounting kit myself, and i got it free :rockout:

Noctua products are that expensive compared to other premium air/closed loop water coolers. I like how Noctua continually updates their mounting hardware and offers it for free to its end-users. The mounting system is nothing short of excellent as well.

Processor Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX 1.1
Cooling Noctua NB-U12A
Memory 2x 32GB Fury DDR4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 5700 XT Red Dragon
Storage Kingston FURY Renegade 2TB PCIe 4.0
Display(s) 2x Dell U2412M
Case Phanteks P400A
Audio Device(s) Hifimediy Sabre 9018 USB DAC
Power Supply Corsair AX850 (from 2012)
Software Windows 10?
the price, warranty period and free mounting parts justify the price, i got two NH-U92B SE2s and i love them, got two A90 kits too, the two noctua fans that comes with the coolers cost almost the same as the cooler, so the value is not to shabby

btw am looking at this slim cooler, as its seems to be better to cope with 65W in a U1 case

What's wrong with the mounting system? Its one of the best, if not the best Ive worked with, and I have tried almost every cooler out there.
i agree, the mounting system is the BEST, it can be a pain to screw the backplate but if you take one side at the time, and the fan mounting is cool, and lets you go higher if your ram sticks are to high, i have one of the fans on top of one of my ram sticks :p

Last edited:

treboRR

System Name My Rig
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Software Windows 7 64x
Noctua products are that expensive compared to other premium air/closed loop water coolers. I like how Noctua continually updates their mounting hardware and offers it for free to its end-users. The mounting system is nothing short of excellent as well.

Have you ever compared the noctua fan bearings with other fan bearings? Other "premium" quality fan bearing are like cheap chinese crap compared with noctuas bearings!

period!:banghead: