• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Noise from PC after shut down system.

Hey forum. I have a question. When i turn off computer ( system close ) i am PERPETUALLY ( non stop ) hearing a noise ( i think its fan\ fans ) from pc, probably from PSU. But next, when i turn off button in a power strip, THEN finally maybe after 10 seconds that noise from pc is just dissapear.
Its is normal? Can somebody explain me that?

PSU is: Be quiet Dark POwer Pro 1000W
Mobo: Sabertooth Z77

Last edited:
System Name Chaos
Processor Intel Core i5 4590K @ 4.0 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z97 MPower MAX AC
Cooling Arctic Cooling Freezer i30 + MX4
Memory 4x4 GB Kingston HyperX Beast 2400 GT/s CL11
Video Card(s) Palit GTX 1070 Dual @ stock
Storage 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD + 1 TB WD Green (Idle timer off) + 320 GB WD Blue
Display(s) Dell U2515H
Case Fractal Design Define R3
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX750 Platinum
Mouse CM Storm Recon
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro (MX Red)
You're probably hearing coil whine from the 5VSB transformer. It's completely harmless and is in no way an indication of a malfunction. It's just hella annoying.

You have two options. Either always turn off your power strip when you won't be using your PC anymore (which is actually not so bad, and is even good practice even if everything was working as intended), or RMA the PSU. Manufacturers and retailers have come to agree in recent years that coil whine is valid grounds for an RMA, which pretty much always results in a new unit being shipped to you. Some companies will even do an advanced RMA (i.e. send you a new unit even before yours arrives).

A word of caution, as it were: Even if you do get another PSU, it may whine as well. Your PSU even may not whine in another person's PC. Such is the nature of the beast.

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
It is a cool down protection feature... I have the same thing on my PC P&C PSU.

See article: DarkPower 1000 At DriverHeaven under the Thermo Control paragraph.

The power supply fan and the fans connected to the power supply are supplied with power for 3 minutes after shutting down.

janeparker

There is nothing to worry. Sit back and relax, as this sound comes from the cooling system of the system.