• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OFFICIAL Battlefield 4 (Discussion)

System Name Wopper
Processor Intel i5 3570 @ 4.2 Ghz
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 8 GB
Video Card(s) eVGA GTX 760 3Gb w/acx cooling
Storage 120Gb Evo SSD + 2 GB Games + 1.5 TB Data
Display(s) ViewSonic VX2268WM 22-Inch 120 Hz 3D-Ready
Case Antec P182
Audio Device(s) Realtec onboard
Power Supply Antec TruePower New 550W
Software Windows 8.1 Pro
EA.com - Ask DICE: Battlefield 4 Vehicle Q&A - EA News - Electronic Arts

POSTED BY EA News ON 2/08/2013
ASK DICE: BATTLEFIELD 4 VEHICLE Q&A
We’ve been seeing questions pouring in from fans who are excited for the launch of Battlefield 4 – now just months away!

In the spirit of keeping you informed and Prepared 4 Battle we’re starting a new series called “Ask DICE,” featuring questions that we’ve received from Battlefield players and answers straight from the development team. Check back here every other Friday for answers, exclusive info, and more.

Battlefield 4 Vehicle Q&A

To kick the series off, we’re answering your questions about vehicles. The ability to fly, drive, roll, crash, and splash your way into combat has long been a staple of Battlefield. Battlefield 4 is taking this to the next level and extending the battle beyond the shores with new naval vehicles and amphibious combat.

Q. What kinds of vehicles are in the game? Could you go into more detail about them?
A.With the new Chinese setting in the game we can confirm these all-new Chinese vehicles in Battlefield 4, including (but not limited to)…

Type 99 MBT
ZFB-05 Armored Car
Z-9 Haitun Transport Heli
Z-10W Attack Heli
DV15 Interceptor Attack Boat

Q.What kind of water vehicles will there be?
A.Amphibious Assault will play a big role in Battlefield 4 as we've added attack boats like the RCB-90 (U.S.) and jet-skis. Controlling the sea in addition to the land and air will play a crucial role in victory.

And, if you need to bail out of your jet-ski or attack boat, now you’ll be able to dive underwater or sprint-swim away to escape pursuers. If the situation gets desperate, you’ll also be able to use one-handed weapons and one-handed gadgets while in water for the first time.

Q.When are we going to see videos or screenshots of more vehicles??
A. Right now! To commemorate the first “Ask DICE: Battlefield 4” we have this exclusive shot of the Chinese Z-10W Attack Heli below!

.Until next time…
Check back here every other Friday for answers, gameplay previews, and more. Next time we’ll be answering questions about new five-person Squads & four unique playable Classes, as well as questions on Multiplayer.

Battlefield 4 is available to pre-order now.

Last edited:

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Processor i5 3570K 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asrock Z77 Extreme 3
Cooling Apogee HD White/XSPC Razer blocks
Memory 8GB Samsung Green 1600
Video Card(s) 2 x GTX 670 4GB
Storage 2 x 120GB Samsung 830
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum 760
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard Ducky Pro MX Black
Software Windows 8.1 x64
edit: So I was reading something over on Reddit just a little bit ago and got me thinking, how much do you think the commander will be listened to? Right now it seems that few squad leaders give orders and even fewer follow them when they do give them. I never played too much BF2 so I don't know much about that but it would seem to me that BF4 is going to end up with some that are good commanders but are never listened to because people are more concerned about doing their own thing for the most part.

Yeah idk; that's a good question. Proper teamplay in all it's various forms is always tougher on pubs. I may have to relent and start using VOIP, at least sometimes. At least will be built-in now and thus more directly and specifically oriented to comm in this specific game and squads.

System Name Wopper
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 8 GB
Case Antec P182
Software Windows 8.1 Pro
I kind of like the idea of suppression in the effect of blurring your vision so that it keeps you down and from doing stupid stuff. I think they should keep that aspect of it but not the bullet deviation. That makes no sense as even if I can't really see what I'm shooting at, I want to be able to hit what I'm aiming at.

edit: So I was reading something over on Reddit just a little bit ago and got me thinking, how much do you think the commander will be listened to? Right now it seems that few squad leaders give orders and even fewer follow them when they do give them. I never played too much BF2 so I don't know much about that but it would seem to me that BF4 is going to end up with some that are good commanders but are never listened to because people are more concerned about doing their own thing for the most part.

Also does anyone know if only the squad leader will know the orders from the commander or if the whole squad will know them?

even if it doesn't work out well, we will at least get some funny Battlefield Friends videos...

System Name Wopper
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 8 GB
Case Antec P182
Software Windows 8.1 Pro
EA.com - THOUGHTS FROM THE BATTLEFIELD : GAMESCOM IS COMING

POSTED BY Keith Ramsdale ON 31/07/2013

KEITH RAMSDALE
UK MANAGING DIRECTOR

So the decent weather has disappeared which can only mean one thing; we’re heading into August. On the plus side our attention shifts to gamescom, which is now just a mere three weeks away. As I mentioned last month, we were overwhelmed by the plaudits we received at E3 from everyone associated with the games industry and we hope for more of the same in Cologne. Our studios have been hard at work and we’re excited to be showing how our games have developed over the past two months.

This will be the first time that hundreds of thousands of potential customers will be able to get hands-on with our great line-up - from Battlefield 4 and Command & Conquer to E3 Game of the Show Titanfall, EA SPORTS FIFA 14, The Sims 4 and Need for Speed Rivals as well as chart topping mobile titles from EA All Play, Chillingo and PopCap. As I’ve said before, it’s a great time to be at EA and this promises to be our best gamescom yet.

Adding consumers is what makes gamescom so special and it’ll be the first time many of them will be able to get their hands on the next generation of interactive entertainment. I’ll try to spend as much time as possible on the show floor so if you’re out there and you see me walking about, feel free to stop me and let me know what you think of our line-up. You’ll probably find me in the FIFA 14 area and I look forward to taking on all comers, time permitting.

If you can't be there in person, be sure to follow our media briefing on www.ea.com/uk/gamescom on Tuesday August 20 at 3pm BST, where you'll also be able to follow up to the minute reports from the show all week. If you are there, let us know your feedback on www.facebook.com/ea or via Twitter using the #EAGC hashtag.

I’m also keen to answer any questions you have so feel free to add your comments and I’ll try to get through as many as possible.

Enjoy gamescom
Keith

Last edited:
System Name Crisco / Backup
Processor AMD Ryzen 3600 / FX 6300
Motherboard ASUS X570 / Gigabyte 970-DS3p-FX
Cooling Wraith Stealth / AMD Factory
Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR4 16 GB (3200) / G.Skill Ripjaw DDR3 16 GB (1600)
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 5700 8 GB GDDR6 / Asus RX 470 8 GB GDDR5
Storage Kingston 480gb SSD, Hitachi Ultrastar 2 TB, 1 TB Caviar Black /Hitachi 500 gb, 2 Seagate 320 GB
Display(s) Viotek 34-Inch Ultrawide Curved 100Hz 3440x1440p, / 52" Sharp 1080p
Case Coolermaster Elite 430 / ROSEWILL ATX Mid Tower
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD: 5.1 Technics DD / Plantronic Gamecom 7.1 headset/5.1 Digital Home Theatre
Power Supply Thermaltake 750 watt / Corsair 550 watt Modular
Mouse Logitech G502 SE HERO / Logitech G602
Keyboard Gamesir GK100 / Steel Series
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit / Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Also does anyone know if only the squad leader will know the orders from the commander or if the whole squad will know them?
Maybe not a lot , but you can still be a good commander by listening to squads and troops and give them the support they need if it is like BF2.
I loved playing commander just to watch what was going on, on the whole battlefield. But troops don't pay much attention to commands
for the most part. They are human, hard headed mother fuckers :D

System Name Money Hole
Processor Core i7 970
Motherboard Asus P6T6 WS Revolution
Cooling Noctua UH-D14
Memory 2133Mhz 12GB (3x4GB) Mushkin 998991
Video Card(s) Sapphire Tri-X OC R9 290X
Storage Samsung 1TB 850 Evo
Display(s) 3x Acer KG240A 144hz
Case CM HAF 932
Audio Device(s) ADI (onboard)
Power Supply Enermax Revolution 85+ 1050w
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
I do kind of wish they would add back in the "how to do this" part when you first started playing BF2. I had never ran in to that before and it made it a lot easier to pickup as I usually have to flip back and forth between the game and the control settings page to get the controls down.

System Name Wopper
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 8 GB
Case Antec P182
Software Windows 8.1 Pro
N4G - Battlefield 4: More Exclusive Footage Surfaces

More videos within the article.

EA have stated that they don’t want their fan-base that they have worked so hard to get, to get cold feet about the game, so they started releasing exclusive content to certain battlefield users (Battlefield 4, PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One)N4G - [yt][/yt]

More videos within the article.

EA have stated that they don’t want their fan-base that they have worked so hard to get, to get cold feet about the game, so they started releasing exclusive content to certain battlefield users (Battlefield 4, PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One)Battlefield 4: More Exclusive Footage Surfaces
More videos within the article. EA have stated that they don’t want their fan-base that they have worked so hard to get, to get cold feet about the game, so they started releasing exclusive content to certain battlefield users (Battlefield 4, PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox OneBattlefield 4: More Exclusive Footage Surfaces
More videos within the article. EA have stated that they don’t want their fan-base that they have worked so hard to get, to get cold feet about the game, so they started releasing exclusive content to certain battlefield users (Battlefield 4, PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One)
[yt]?feature=player_embedded&v=gVnj5SttsB0[/yt]

GamingBolt - Battlefield 4′s Latest Video Shows the Chinese WZ-10 In Action"

[yt]?feature=player_embedded&v=PLLTGofgmQE[/yt]

New gameplay footage from what we imagine is the beta has emerged for Battlefield 4, showcasing the Chinese WZ-10 attack helicopter. It’s certainly a force to reckon with and is amazingly maneuverable as well, considering the skyscrapers that dot the Siege map of Shanghai. Check out the video above.
Battlefield 4′s Conquest mode sees a high number of players (which could go even higher is rumours are correct) and a new Commander taking part, not to mention the new “Levolution” mechanics that allow for leveling complete skyscrapers and altering one’s physical surroundings for a tactical advantage. That’s not including the new classes, weapons, vehicles (like the WZ-10) and upgrades you can go for.
Did we mention that the Commander can launch missiles at enemies?
Battlefield 4 is set to release for Xbox 360, PS3 and PC on October 29th in North America, with a Q4 2013 release due for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions.

Bonus video: Battlefield 4 Multiplayer Skyscraper Collapse Tsunami Jet Ski
[yt]?feature=emedded&v=zC0T9kr3ctM[/yt]
BF4 EXCLUSIVE MULTIPLAYER GAMEPLAY | "EPIC" 720˚ CO
[yt]?feature=player_detailpage&v=pLJpRVSiT94[/yt]

Last edited:
System Name Jaffakeik
Processor I9 12900K
Motherboard MSI Pro B660M-A WIFI DDR4
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II High Performance CPU Water cooler- 240mm
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 32GB (2x16GB) 3600
Video Card(s) 7900XTX gigabyte OC edition
Storage WD Black SN770 1TB SSD M.2 2280 NVME x2
Display(s) TV LG C2
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 Full Tower Case Tempered
Audio Device(s) Mother board + Sennhiser HD650+ Elgato wave xlr + shure SM7B
Power Supply EVGA 1600w G+
Mouse Glorious Model 0
Keyboard Corsair RBG mini K65 + Steelseries Apex150
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores over 9000
Do i get any exclusive items when i do preorder? because its bit expensive like all EA games so want to make sure I get something extra

System Name Wopper
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 8 GB
Case Antec P182
Software Windows 8.1 Pro
Do i get any exclusive items when i do preorder? because its bit expensive like all EA games so want to make sure I get something extra

You get the first DLC, "China Rising" free with pre-orders. That should cost $15 seperately

System Name Wopper
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 8 GB
Case Antec P182
Software Windows 8.1 Pro
BF4central - Battlefield 4 Jets

Battlefield 4 jets
Battlefield 4 jetsBattlefield 4 jets are based on fighter and bomber jets found in active service around the world. Jets in Battlefield 4 range from fighters such as the F-35, to bombers such as the A-10 Thunderbolt. Battlefield 4 jets are faction based, and are realistically portrayed based on their real world counterparts. However, despite major differences between the jets in the real world, they are much more similar in the game, in order to properly balance teams against each other.
Battlefield 4 jets list
Battlefield 4 will feature the main fighter and bomber jets found in the armies of each of the factions (US, Russia, and China). Jets feature their own unlocks, such as anti-air missiles, flares, increased radar range, rocket pods, and more.
(click each image for more info)
Battlefield 4 FA-18 Hornet
Battlefield 4 SU-35 Flanker
Battlefield 4 A-10
Battlefield 4 F-35
Battlefield 4 SU-25 Frogfoot
Battlefield 4 Jets tips
There are a variety of Battlefield 4 jets, each suitable for their role. The main attack jets such as the FA 18 and the SU-35 are great overall fighter that can engage both ground and air forces. There are ground specific jets such as the A-10 which are geared towards air support and anti-vehicle missions. Then there are special jets which can do a bit of everything, such as the F-35. While jets can be equipped with all sorts of unlocks, the most important ones are usually Flares, which help against enemy AA fire.

Last edited:
System Name Jaffakeik
Processor I9 12900K
Motherboard MSI Pro B660M-A WIFI DDR4
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II High Performance CPU Water cooler- 240mm
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 32GB (2x16GB) 3600
Video Card(s) 7900XTX gigabyte OC edition
Storage WD Black SN770 1TB SSD M.2 2280 NVME x2
Display(s) TV LG C2
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 Full Tower Case Tempered
Audio Device(s) Mother board + Sennhiser HD650+ Elgato wave xlr + shure SM7B
Power Supply EVGA 1600w G+
Mouse Glorious Model 0
Keyboard Corsair RBG mini K65 + Steelseries Apex150
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores over 9000
I think i Suck at FPS games, but can I join your clan when this game comes live?Need to set my micro and get some more free time for FPS games,would be fun to play with fellow TPUrs

Black Haru

Staff member
I think i Suck at FPS games, but can I join your clan when this game comes live?Need to set my micro and get some more free time for FPS games,would be fun to play with fellow TPUrs

we are hardly formal. you are welcome to play with us (not that I have much time these days) just don't be a douche. ;)

System Name Money Hole
Processor Core i7 970
Motherboard Asus P6T6 WS Revolution
Cooling Noctua UH-D14
Memory 2133Mhz 12GB (3x4GB) Mushkin 998991
Video Card(s) Sapphire Tri-X OC R9 290X
Storage Samsung 1TB 850 Evo
Display(s) 3x Acer KG240A 144hz
Case CM HAF 932
Audio Device(s) ADI (onboard)
Power Supply Enermax Revolution 85+ 1050w
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Anyone know anything about the double XP if you preorder from Gamestop?

There was a like to a Finland(?) Gamestop page that showed this and wasn't sure if it only applied to them or if it was something that all Gamestop preorders were going to end up with around the entire world.

Processor i5-4670k
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth Z87
Cooling Super Quiet 22dBA Titan Triple Copper Heatpipe
Memory 8gb (2x4gb kit) Kingston HyperX Genesis Dual-DDR3 1600MHz
Video Card(s) Palit 3gb GTX 780
Storage 240GB Intel 550 Series SSD, 2TB WD Caviar Black x2, 2TB Caviar Green
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster S24B300
Case CoolerMaster Silencio 650
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek 5.1
Power Supply Corsair Pro Series HX850-80 Gold Modular
Software Windows 7 Pro x64 / Windows 8.1 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores 3DMark - 7893

Pre-order from GreenManGaming, it was £29.99 last week but not sure if it still is now. That's the cheapest I found it.

System Name Phantom 410 V1
Processor i7-4770K 4.4GHz
Motherboard Z87 MAXIMUS VI HERO
Cooling Noctua NH-U12P SE2
Memory Corsair Vengeance 16GB
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 770 Superclock ACX 2048MB
Storage Samsung 850 PRO 256GB SSD
Display(s) Dell 24" U2410f
Case NZXT Phantom 410 - Gun Metal
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply OCZ ZX Series 850W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G15
Software Windows 10 x64

Me and my friends used to love the commander in BF2, but as with anything, you do get some idiots as commanders but also some awesome commanders.
From what I remember, the commander would send orders to squad leaders and then the SL would either acknowledge or decline the orders given, once acknowledged it just acts like orders given to your squad members from the SL.
I think people could vote the commander off if enough votes were given, and also ranks come into play as well, so if someone else applies to be commander who is a higher rank than someone else applying, they would automatically get it.

When done well, it is brilliant!
I think you only have to press 'Page Up' or 'Page Down' to acknowledge or decline the orders.

The same applied for BF2142.

I can only imagine that the commander on the console version will suck, as navigating the map to give orders surely will be a pain with a controller...unless they have a plan to make it easier?

There will certainly be a rush for everyone wanting to be the commander at first.

Black Haru

Staff member
Me and my friends used to love the commander in BF2, but as with anything, you do get some idiots as commanders but also some awesome commanders.
From what I remember, the commander would send orders to squad leaders and then the SL would either acknowledge or decline the orders given, once acknowledged it just acts like orders given to your squad members from the SL.
I think people could vote the commander off if enough votes were given, and also ranks come into play as well, so if someone else applies to be commander who is a higher rank than someone else applying, they would automatically get it.

When done well, it is brilliant!
I think you only have to press 'Page Up' or 'Page Down' to acknowledge or decline the orders.

The same applied for BF2142.

I can only imagine that the commander on the console version will suck, as navigating the map to give orders surely will be a pain with a controller...unless they have a plan to make it easier?

There will certainly be a rush for everyone wanting to be the commander at first.

use a tablet or your phone for commander. most people will do that I think.

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Software Windows 8.1 x64

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
SO there will be more jets but my real question is, will there be two seats in them like in BF2?

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
I'd like to see the A-10 used in all maps where there are jets. I barely ever see it in BF3 since it's a Rush only plane.

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
I'd like to see the A-10 used in all maps where there are jets. I barely ever see it in BF3 since it's a Rush only plane.

I could see someone flying the A10 with a gunner on thermals fucking shit up with 40MM or laser guided!

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
System Name Tower of Power / Sechs
Processor i7 14700K / i7 5820k @ 4.5ghz
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WiFi D4 / X99S GAMING 7
Cooling CM MasterLiquid ML360 Mirror ARGB Close-Loop AIO / CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Extreme
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600 / G.Skill DDR4 2800 16GB 4x4GB
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 4070 Ti / ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3070 V2 OC Edition
Storage 4x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2, 2x Crucial 1TB SSD / Samsung 870 PRO 500GB M.2
Display(s) Samsung 32" Odyssy G5 Gaming 144hz 1440p, ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p / 2x ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p
Case Phantek "400A" / Phanteks “Enthoo Pro series”
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC4080 / Azalia Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Corsair RM Series RM750 / Corsair CXM CX600M
Mouse Glorious Gaming Model D Wireless / Razer DeathAdder Chroma
Keyboard Glorious GMMK with box-white switches / Keychron K6 pro with blue swithes
VR HMD Quest 3 (128gb) + Rift S + HTC Vive + DK1
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 / Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Yes

I'd like to see that and the Su-25 frogfoot used in dc El Alamein map. :toast:

EDIT: I should have read up.. lol It looks just like SU-25 Flanker GullyFoyle posted. :toast:

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Software Windows 8.1 x64
I would like 2 seater jets too. I'll never be a pilot but am at worst a decent gunner.

System Name Wopper
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 8 GB
Case Antec P182
Software Windows 8.1 Pro
engadget.com - Battlefield 4's Battlescreen map exclusive to next-gen and PC, Battlelog now fully web-based

In holiday 2011, while fans of both the Call of Duty and Battlefield series were gearing up for virtual war, the publishers behind each megafranchise were gearing up for a different type of virtual war. With the launch of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, Activision's in-game social network -- dubbed "Call of Duty Elite" -- went live. Just prior, alongside the launch of competing title Battlefield 3, EA introduced its "Battlelog" system. And thus began a parallel virtual war for fans' loyalty, battled via user numbers and engagement metrics. It's a pretty boring war, but its armaments are the games many of us know and love.

The first-person-shooter social network war continues to this day (in silence, of course), with EA recently stepping up its rhetoric surrounding this October's entry, Battlefield 4. Since E3, where some new Battlelog features were shown for the first time during EA's presser, the company's released its first big Battlelog marketing video (seen below). But we wanted more details about what the first next-gen version of Battlelog will look like, and what EA's DICE studio has been able to accomplish with new hardware.

Battlelog features video

We spoke with Battlelog assistant producer (and one of the guys in the video) Jesper Nielsen, an affable gentleman who openly discussed Battlelog's trajectory since launch in late 2011. "When we set out to build this [Battlelog in Battlefield 4], our biggest goal from the start was really to bring a better Battlelog to the console players," Nielsen said. In Battlefield 3, PC players launched the game from a Battlelog portal on the web; that led to much higher engagement numbers on PC (despite initial resent from longtime PC loyalists). Battlelog's Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 experience was...lacking. It didn't feature the server browser functionality that the PC version did, nor was it even functional for the first few weeks of the game's life post-launch.

Though Battlefield 4 doesn't launch from a Battlelog portal on the Xbox One or PlayStation 4, it does have feature parity with its PC squadmate. That includes Battlescreen -- the tablet / web interactive minimap touted in EA's marketing. Sadly, the feature won't make it to PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, just next-gen consoles and PC. That's due primarily to Battlelog's new platform base on next-gen and PC: the web. "Battlelog is powered by the web, and that has a lot of implications. There are a lot of different things you can do, things you can do faster, rather than building stuff in native code," Nielsen told Engadget.

Battlefield 4's Battlescreen map exclusive to nextgen and PC, Battlelog now fully webbased

One such implication? "It's going to be a lot easier for us to actually update things from the in-game Battlelog than would otherwise be the case. You'd have to do patches normally; here we can actually do things almost by the flick of a finger," he said.

The other big issue with Battlelog engagement on consoles was ease of use. Simply put, EA's required Origin login was too cumbersome a barrier for many players to overcome. As Nielsen put it, "At some point, maybe half a year before, they connected their Origin account to this email address and now they forgot what it is. And they tried, they can't remember it, so they give up." That sounds about right. In order to get around that issue, the Battlelog mobile / tablet application has a built-in QR code scanner, which players can use in-tandem with their console to log in (we're hoping just once). "It might sound trivial, but it's actually making something that might be problematic for people super simple," he said.

While second-screen functionality in Battlelog is currently limited to Battlescreen (the minimap), stats, loadouts, and server browsing, Nielsen said EA DICE is still very much experimenting with other ideas. His team even explored Xbox One's "snap" functionality for use with Battlelog, to no avail. ("It's definitely something we looked at, and we are interested in that type of functionality. For us, it's still too early to really gauge the kind of opportunities there. It's something we've been keeping a close eye on and have been since we learned about it.")

All that said, Neilsen's looking at DICE's first forays into second-screen gaming as "a learning experience." Following our interview, he sent over the following statement, which reflects his studio's relative newness to the currently hot gaming fad:

"Creating a second-screen experience during gameplay is something completely new for us, so we're definitely treating it as a learning experience. We're super intrigued by these possibilities and early tests have showed that we're going in the right direction, but to be frank, it will stand its real test once we get it out to the players and see how they use it, both when they play and don't play. That will teach us a lot and help us innovate even more in this field. We don't have the answers to all the questions in this space yet, so it's definitely a bit of an experiment, but we're very confident with some of the steps we've taken to provide a truly meaningful and valuable second-screen experience."
Nielsen himself admits that using a second-screen while playing a high-intensity shooter can seem a bit counterintuitive at first. "It's something you have to get used to a little bit," he told us. "There are a lot of these small pauses during a match, where you're trying to get to a certain place or figure out what's going on and you're far away from the battle that's going down. And then it's actually quite helpful just looking a little bit to the left or where it's positioned, and knowing 'Oh it's over there [the battle].'" We're still not totally sold on the concept, but we'll have a chance to give it a closer look as the year goes on; Battlefield 4 launches on October 29th, with or without next-gen consoles.

System Name Wopper
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 8 GB
Case Antec P182
Software Windows 8.1 Pro
I'd like to see that and the Su-25 frogfoot used in dc El Alamein map. :toast:

EDIT: I should have read up.. lol It looks just like SU-25 Flanker GullyFoyle posted. :toast:

that was a typo, it should say su-35 Frogfoot, I'll correct it now. sorry about that.

System Name Wopper
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 8 GB
Case Antec P182
Software Windows 8.1 Pro
If you made the mistake of sleeping during E3, catch what you might have missed through Twitch .TV