• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning Pictured

With the new/revamped coolers for the 7xx series cards, the Twin Frozr IV has routinely caught my eye. The black & red/yellow colour scheme works well, but its not too ostentatious and the shroud is pretty subtle and shows off the cooler nicely. I guess I'd say it has a high level of 'finesse', all the parts work together well and aren't trying to hard (the shroud isn't trying to look like a space ship for example).

With the above card, I don't quite understand the yellow fan. None of the other Gaming/lightning cards feature coloured fans (apart from a bit on the stickers), so the lack of consistency seems a bit daft there.

:)

Processor 8700k Intel
Motherboard z370 MSI Godlike Gaming
Cooling Triple Aquacomputer AMS Copper 840 with D5
Memory TridentZ RGB G.Skill C16 3600MHz
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 Ti
Storage Crucial MX SSDs
Display(s) Dell U3011 2560x1600 + Dell 2408WFP 1200x1920 (Portrait)
Case Core P5 Thermaltake
Audio Device(s) Essence STX
Power Supply AX 1500i
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win10
Would love a Titan on this PCB...

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
With the new/revamped coolers for the 7xx series cards, the Twin Frozr IV has routinely caught my eye. The black & red/yellow colour scheme works well, but its not too ostentatious and the shroud is pretty subtle and shows off the cooler nicely. I guess I'd say it has a high level of 'finesse', all the parts work together well and aren't trying to hard (the shroud isn't trying to look like a space ship for example).

With the above card, I don't quite understand the yellow fan. None of the other Gaming/lightning cards feature coloured fans (apart from a bit on the stickers), so the lack of consistency seems a bit daft there.

:)

Seriously? The Twin Frozr IV? Compared to the reference Titan cooler you think it's pretty subtle and offers a bit more 'finesse'? I guess you are right it doesn't look like a space ship, it actually looks like a huge heatsink with two giant fans stuck on it. :laugh:

Come on, it's a great cooler, but compared to the tightly packaged elegance of the 690 and Titan the Twin Frozr is as generic as it gets for graphics cards.

But yes, pretty colours and all that. :)

Hmm. Having another look. I like 690 better than the titan. They look okay, I just think that it's not the prodigal son every reviewer makes it out to be. And you're right, the Twin Frozr is mostly heatsink and fan...but since that's the whole point of a cooler. I think it can add to the aesthetic value of a cooler to see that kinda stuff. Makes it look a bit more "phoarr" hehe

I think perhaps I find blower coolers generally look a bit dull. But, I don't know what the shroud is made out of, but I still feel it looks 'cheap' somehow, like an the back of a tv remote. XD

More pictures of the ugly bastard.

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit
The nividia titan ref cooler is the ugliest one I've seen to date. I do not understand the fascination with it. It looks like cheap plastic and has never made me think "oh, that looks like a powerful cooler". Admittedly the MSI cooler above is pretty standard, and the lightning colour scheme hasn't transferred very gracefully, but I've yet to see a 780/titan cooler that looked worse than the nvidia, and as they all excel when it comes to cooling performance anyway...

it's not even plastic. it's all metal except for the plexi glass used as a window for the heat sink fins.

I said it looked cheap and plastic, not that it was (for the price I'd hope not). :)

Like the above images (thx puddle), the cooler looks really nice, the shroud looks a little 'cheap' in comparison, but it can be down to the photography or rendering style. The glossy highlights on the above image don't give an impression of quality materials for the shroud.

Looks like a really capable cooler mind, shame about the fan, and the yellow highlights on the shroud kinda suck too imo.

And that's fine, and you know what floats my boat. Do you have any examples of cards you find particularly aesthetically pleasing? I'd be interested to see.

I know the question was not directed at me but i find these two cards pretty pleasing