• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer to Retire Within 12 Months

Biggest problem with surface wasn't the product, it was the price.

Windows Phone 8 strategy is fine.

Desktop strategy is not fine.

System Name CUBE_NXT
Processor i9 12900K @ 5.0Ghz all P-cores with E-cores enabled
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master
Cooling EK AIO Elite Cooler w/ 3 Phanteks T30 fans
Memory 64GB DDR5 @ 5600Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA 3090Ti Ultra Hybrid Gaming w/ 3 Phanteks T30 fans
Storage 1 x SK Hynix P41 Platinum 1TB, 1 x 2TB, 1 x WD_BLACK SN850 2TB, 1 x WD_RED SN700 4TB
Display(s) Alienware AW3418DW
Case Lian-Li O11 Dynamic Evo w/ 3 Phanteks T30 fans
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME 1000W Titanium
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Sinofsky woulda done a better job.

The hell he would have. That arrogant blowhard loved lording over his Windows fiefdom and plowing through anyone who dare get in their way. You know how Office for Windows RT wasn't finished? You can thank Sinofsky for that. When the Office division requested some help integrating with Metro he basically to told them to fuck off in no uncertain terms.

I was quite happy when Sinofsky was let go. That man was a poison who needed to be ejected from Microsoft.

System Name Aluminum Mallard
Processor Ryzen 1900x
Motherboard AsRock Phantom 6
Cooling AIO
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) EVGA 3080Ti FTW
Storage SSD
Display(s) Benq Zowie
Case Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Corsair CX750
VR HMD HTV Vive, Valve Index
Software Arch Linux
Benchmark Scores 31 FPS in Dalaran
So much hate.

You all need to chill. Steve Ballmer was a great CEO for Microsoft. He oversaw the launch of most of Microsoft's key products and technologies.

Processor Intel i7 4790K
Motherboard Asus Z97 Deluxe
Cooling Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120
Memory Corsair Dominator 1866Mhz 4X4GB
Video Card(s) Asus R290X
Storage Samsung 850 Pro SSD 256GB/Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1TB
Display(s) Samsung S23A950D
Case Corsair 850D
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek
Power Supply Corsair AX850
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Windows 10 x64
They screwed up windows 8. People don't like change, they should have learnt that lesson after Vista.

Its hard to progress/improve and still please the traditionalists but with 90% market share, windows for desktop didn't need a UI overhaul. An OS with a "desktop mode" and "modern/touch mode" would have been a better idea.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Yes, you are both right. What exists now in its cheapest form is Server Essentials, at 5 times the cost, putting it out of reach of average home user. My point was thaey announced the EOL (of 2016) a mere year after release, and the manner in which they did it sounded to any casual reader who might have considered WHS 2011 that it was just plain cancelled. So sales dropped way off after that. It was just a complete mismangement of the program and the PR all the way around.

Announcing the EOL a year after release is nothing new for Microsoft products, in fact they set EOL dates the day most products are released but often changes them as the product goes through its life. We knew the EOL date of Windows 7 the day it was released. The news articles are the ones that made the WHS EOL sound like the program had been cancelled because they rolled the story of WHS 2011 EOL in with the fact that the program was being cancelled, but the EOL had already been known since day one.

The problem with WHS, and why I can see why they are cancelling it, is it doesn't appeal to most people and a large majority of the functionality is already built into standard versions of Windows. 99% of home users can easily just use a Windows 7 Pro computer as their home server.

Why do people complain and cheer like Ballmer had anything to do with Windows 8 development? He's a CEO of a mega corporation, not some small development firm where CEO does half of the other stuff. CEO in companies like Microsoft only makes strategic decisions, he never had anything to do with how new Start menu is formed etc. That's what executives below him are responsible for. Usually each division has its own and that person probably ha another "boss" below him who commands the code monkeys. And that's where things are really happening. The executives may report to CEO, but not how tiny things are formed, they most likely have to report how general public feedback and statistics go, what are expectations etc.

I personally am not cheering his decision. He wasn't the most charismatic person unlike Bill Gates, sure, but he wasn't all that bad. After all he was with Microsoft almost from the very beginning and he was running several other successful divisions in the MS past... And he was leading MS for 13 years so that's not exactly a short time even though he could run it for longer. It's his decision.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
Why do people complain and cheer like Ballmer had anything to do with Windows 8 development? He's a CEO of a mega corporation, not some small development firm where CEO does half of the other stuff. CEO in companies like Microsoft only makes strategic decisions, he never had anything to do with how new Start menu is formed etc.

actually he did. as CEO it was his decision to adopt the business model apple uses. microsoft wants to drive revenue through app purchases. They changed windows 8 to be more mobile friendly just like IOS. those decisions came straight from the top. not that i care one way or the other since i don't own any microsoft stock and i don't run windows 8.

Processor Intel i7 4790K
Motherboard Asus Z97 Deluxe
Cooling Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120
Memory Corsair Dominator 1866Mhz 4X4GB
Video Card(s) Asus R290X
Storage Samsung 850 Pro SSD 256GB/Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1TB
Display(s) Samsung S23A950D
Case Corsair 850D
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek
Power Supply Corsair AX850
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Windows 10 x64
@ RejZor I disagree. The CEO is always responsible, at least in a large public company like Microsoft. If its a private company then yes the CEO can blame everyone , fire everybody and keep himself.

Obviously, Ballmer didn't design anything but a decision about a major design change would have to be signed off from the top. It was a major design change away from the ubiquitous windows desktop that has dominated the world for 20+ years.

I agree though, that the treatment is harsh, after the guy has been their for years and had a lot of success, but when the company loses heaps of cash from a design decision , the shareholders go nuts and want blood.

Anyway, don't feel too sorry for him. He is like a gazzillionaire, he can sit on the beach sipping cocktails!!

No. You people are forgeting that Microsoft just makes too much stuf for CEO to have under control and say yay and nay for specific things under specific division.

One thing is a CEO in a small firm that only makes Android apps and another a CEO in a corporation that makes anything from phones, operating systems to consoles and office suites...

System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular
Ballmer's biggest problem was underestimating the iPhone and the beginning of the "smartphone"/tablet movement. He failed at seeing the mobile world evolving into tablets instead of laptops. Steve Jobs, giving credit where credit is due, did see the mobile transformation (and Apple can be given credited for creating a mainstream movement of this). Ballmer has done well as of late in regards to the mobile world with the Surface and the Windows 8 phones. People think of the Surface as a failure, but the Surface Pro is good product. What is more important that the Surface Pro being a good product, is that it started a transformation with Microsoft's OEM manufacture products. Now all of the OEMs are making tablets with Windows 8 and Windows RT. Another issue Microsoft has right now is attracting their once touted developer strength to their mobile tablets and phones. Microsoft's OEMs are struggling though... Look at Dell going private. HP struggling with making strong profits. AMD struggling to transition to a mobile chip world. Issues with the Xbox One are overblown. Its childish the way people act towards the product when it is a very good and strong product.

Ballmer was a good CEO who failed to see what was happing in the mobile world. Where people are buying tablets instead of buying laptop PCs. Laptops are being bought at longer transition cycle as compared to tablets and its hurting PC profits. Everything Microsoft has done has been very good in my opinion. I think it was a more of a it's time to try something new rather than you have done a bad job.

System Name Vulcan
Processor i6 6600K
Motherboard GIGABYTE Z170X UD3
Cooling Thermaltake Frio Silent 14
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix GTX 970
Storage Mushkin Enhanced Reactor 1TB SSD
Display(s) QNIX 27 Inch 1440p
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Cooler Master V750
Software Win 10 64-bit
I'm sure gonna miss that guy.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Announcing the EOL a year after release is nothing new for Microsoft products, in fact they set EOL dates the day most products are released but often changes them as the product goes through its life. We knew the EOL date of Windows 7 the day it was released. The news articles are the ones that made the WHS EOL sound like the program had been cancelled because they rolled the story of WHS 2011 EOL in with the fact that the program was being cancelled, but the EOL had already been known since day one.

The problem with WHS, and why I can see why they are cancelling it, is it doesn't appeal to most people and a large majority of the functionality is already built into standard versions of Windows. 99% of home users can easily just use a Windows 7 Pro computer as their home server.

You are correct, sir...probably the main problem with the EOL was the way they released the info, and then the way it was handled in the news. Most people who I have talked to wanted to get it, waited the first year out, and then were under the impression it is gone, I've had to educate them that it's still for sale and still mainstream-supported. Their lack of promotion also leaves those that do know about it thinking it does just backups, which is very far from the truth.

As to doing everything my W7 can do, no not really. Most things, yes, but with more effort than WHS took, and you're running a lot more OS overhead than you really need. As to W8, even its functionality in the backup arena isn't quite there. Believe me, there have been a number of people on We Got Served, including both the website and the forums that configured storage spaces to use W8 as a backup server, and it works...just not quite as well, and with a much greater investment in time. And the server app support isn't there either. The real successor is Server Essentials, which operates the same way, but at considerably more investment. WHS just..worked, almost out of the box. but when you don't support your own product and promote it, it's tough to get more than 2-3% of the user base to adopt.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800x3d
Motherboard Asrock b550m riptide pd
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin
Memory 32gb (4x8) G.Skill RGB DDR4 @ 3200
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster QICK319 RX 7800 XT 16gb
Storage 1x Hynix P31 1tb (os) 1x 4tb SP UD90
Display(s) 1x Acer Predator X34, 2x 13.3 mobile USBC wings
Case Jonsbo D31 mesh
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Corsair SF750w
Software Windows 11
I don't think Ballmer has done his job as badly as many people make out, you can't really ignore the fact that profits at Microsoft increased nearly 200% under his tenure since 2000. As CEO last year Microsoft saw profits of nearly 22 billion dollars, and profits had been just under 8 billion the year before he took over. I think Microsoft's products as a whole have been steadily advancing, and that is a problem when people expect leaps and bounds, but I've really yet to use any of their products and say it is truly inferior in every way in comparison to what competitors are offering. Zune is really the only one that comes to mind, but it is hard to beat Apple at their own game and if you're not buying an iPod at that time, you would have been happy saving a few hundred bucks and getting a simple, reliable MP3 player from any number of device manufacturers. Zune just wasn't a good product to compete with the iPod until later generations, but at that point iTunes had grown so big it was hard to even keep up in terms of music and movie licensing in the Zune Marketplace.

But I do see a lot of Microsoft's failures as correctable, and truly hope his replacement walks in willing and capable of fixing the platforms that are struggling. Surface Pro is certainly a product they would be foolish to kill off, especially considering that Haswell finally delivers a platform that can fit into tablets without sacrificing battery life or performance. Some of these new chips have an SDP rating as low as 6w. Higher end A15-based SoCs like Samsung's Exynos 5250 reach a peak TDP of about 8w. And the upcoming Atom evolution will certainly make it possible to have a "semi-pro" surface tablet that could very easily balance price and performance in a perfectly usable product.

And I think Windows Phone would find greater traction if Microsoft leveraged their position and integrated cross platform features with Windows and the xbox. They could do so many great things but thus far its more gimmicky than anything truly ground breaking.

And I do admit my experience with WHS is very limited, as my own servers are linux based - but I do think Microsoft could take a page from Apple here. With Apple, you can go buy any OSX powered mac (the mini is popular choice) and hop into the App store and pay $20 for an upgrade to OSX Server edition. Microsoft could easily do this, and just offer the best features of WHS as a software stack and perhaps throw in some code to remove the bloat you wouldn't need in transitioning from a desktop version of Windows to a home server version. I'm sure there will be limitations in such a product, but over time Microsoft would be able to address those and grow the feature base just as Apple has done since removing their $500 OSX server and making OSX server an addon for standard OSX.

If Microsoft find's a replacement who is actually interested in improving the products, it could be a very quick turn around for them. But I really hope they don't bring in a cost cutting machine who just wants to slash projects left and right in an effort to save money.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
And I think Windows Phone would find greater traction if Microsoft leveraged their position and integrated cross platform features with Windows and the xbox. They could do so many great things but thus far its more gimmicky than anything truly ground breaking.

And I do admit my experience with WHS is very limited, as my own servers are linux based - but I do think Microsoft could take a page from Apple here. With Apple, you can go buy any OSX powered mac (the mini is popular choice) and hop into the App store and pay $20 for an upgrade to OSX Server edition. Microsoft could easily do this, and just offer the best features of WHS as a software stack and perhaps throw in some code to remove the bloat you wouldn't need in transitioning from a desktop version of Windows to a home server version. I'm sure there will be limitations in such a product, but over time Microsoft would be able to address those and grow the feature base just as Apple has done since removing their $500 OSX server and making OSX server an addon for standard OSX.

Your thoughts on the Windows Phone and WHS and how to do them right are brilliant! You are thinking outside of the box, yet you are using common sense. :toast: Let's hope the next guy is a down-to-Earth visionary!

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
Nobody is mentioning I see the Office 2013, and it's completely crap new type of font rendering...
The idiots removed the Clear Type antialiasing on all the fonts, and now all the Word documents are almost impossible to edit to due incredible font blurring/aliasing/pixelations/etc. This is by faaar THE WORST doing of MS...

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit
Nobody is mentioning I see the Office 2013, and it's completely crap new type of font rendering...
The idiots removed the Clear Type antialiasing on all the fonts, and now all the Word documents are almost impossible to edit to due incredible font blurring/aliasing/pixelations/etc. This is by faaar THE WORST doing of MS...

Looks perfectly fine on my screen. Looks just as it did in the previous version.

Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Looks perfectly fine on my screen. Looks just as it did in the previous version.

Seems like the issue is mostly on users with AMD cards...

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
Seems like the issue is mostly on users with AMD cards...

. AMD doesn't have driver issues.

System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit
Are you really running that system in your System Specs on Windows 8? :laugh: :laugh:

Update your specs.

Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK