• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD -- New to the SSD area.

System Name Akame
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-4770K 3.5Ghz /// (Stock)
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus VI HERO Intel Z87 Socket 1150
Cooling Stock Air Cooler
Memory 16Gb (4x4Gb) /// G Skill PC3-19200 DDR3 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SC GAMING ACX 2.0
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB (OS) /// Samsung 840 EVO 250GB /// Western Digital Caviar 1TB Green SATAIII
Display(s) Asus 22-inch VH226H Widescreen LCD Monitor (2ms, 3000:1, 1920x1080) Full HD
Case Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced
Audio Device(s) Astro A50 Gen1
Power Supply Corsair AX760W Full Modular 80+ Platinum
Mouse Roccat Kone AIMO
Keyboard AFX MK0217 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Hey guys and gals!

Long time no see! :O

I'm in the process of getting myself an SSD to replace my current primary HDD. I've done some reading and such, came to the conclusion that I'd like to get myself a Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD.

My reason behind it is that it's in my budget range and looking at the performances of the drives, it seems to be one of the top end of it's range. I know it's not the Pro, but again my reasoning for it is the budget and it's performance seems more than what it's worth?

The only thing for me is though, I've not actually dealt with any SSD's to date, for installing an OS to. It doesn't seem that complicated but I know there is some after install tweaks you can do yourself to improve on the SSD's performance, right?

I've found a link here on TPU which I'm going to go through, I've skim read some of it, but really could do with reading the lot, which I'll do in a little while! Here is the link that I'm on about.

Ideally I'll be installing my OS (Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium), Steam (for Dota 2, though I'll have a secondary library for other games on my data HDD), World of WarCraft and some programs (XSplit specifically and general programs). Everything else will be directed to the data HDD that I currently have to limit what I will have on the SSD.

So, I was wondering if any one has had the pleasure of using this specific SSD and could point me to a good source to read on for tweaking it once I have the drive and start getting it all up and running? Are there anything in particular I need to be aware of with me being inexperienced with SSD's?

What programs would you recommend yourselves to use to test the SSD's performance and why? Any suggestions on usages of the SSD in particular?

I'm open to anything and everything you can throw at me really so I can prepare the best I can before diving in! :)

Thanks for taking the time to read this and hope all are well! :)

--Lee

System Name Blackwidow/
Processor Ryzen 5950x / Threadripper 3960x
Motherboard Asus x570 Crosshair viii impact/ Asus Zenith ii Extreme
Cooling Ek 240Aio/Custom watercooling
Memory 32gb ddr4 3600MHZ Crucial Ballistix / 32gb ddr4 3600MHZ G.Skill TridentZ Royal
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6900xt/ XFX 6800xt
Storage WD SN850 1TB boot / Samsung 970 evo+ 1tb boot, 6tb WD SN750
Display(s) Sony A80J / Dual LG 27gl850
Case Cooler Master NR200P/ 011 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) On board/ Soundblaster ZXR
Power Supply Corsair SF750w/ Seasonic Prime Titanium 1000w
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate wireless/ Logitech G Pro X Superlight
Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL/ Logitech G915 Wireless
Software Win 10 Pro
Hey guys and gals!

Long time no see! :O

I'm in the process of getting myself an SSD to replace my current primary HDD. I've done some reading and such, came to the conclusion that I'd like to get myself a Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD.

My reason behind it is that it's in my budget range and looking at the performances of the drives, it seems to be one of the top end of it's range. I know it's not the Pro, but again my reasoning for it is the budget and it's performance seems more than what it's worth?

The only thing for me is though, I've not actually dealt with any SSD's to date, for installing an OS to. It doesn't seem that complicated but I know there is some after install tweaks you can do yourself to improve on the SSD's performance, right?

I've found a link here on TPU which I'm going to go through, I've skim read some of it, but really could do with reading the lot, which I'll do in a little while! Here is the link that I'm on about.

Ideally I'll be installing my OS (Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium), Steam (for Dota 2, though I'll have a secondary library for other games on my data HDD), World of WarCraft and some programs (XSplit specifically and general programs). Everything else will be directed to the data HDD that I currently have to limit what I will have on the SSD.

So, I was wondering if any one has had the pleasure of using this specific SSD and could point me to a good source to read on for tweaking it once I have the drive and start getting it all up and running? Are there anything in particular I need to be aware of with me being inexperienced with SSD's?

What programs would you recommend yourselves to use to test the SSD's performance and why? Any suggestions on usages of the SSD in particular?

I'm open to anything and everything you can throw at me really so I can prepare the best I can before diving in! :)

Thanks for taking the time to read this and hope all are well! :)

--Lee

crystal disk mark...and crystal disk info are a couple programs...
ssd tweak guide
http://www.tweaktown.com/guides/3116/tweaktown_s_solid_state_drive_optimization_guide/index.html

System Name Darth Obsidious
Processor Intel i5 2500K
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+ in Push Pull
Memory 2X4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) ASUS R9 270x TOP
Storage 128GB Samsung 830 SSD, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Green
Display(s) LG IPS234V-PN
Case Corsair Obsidian 650D
Audio Device(s) Infrasonic Quartet
Power Supply Corsair HX650w
Software Windows 7 64bit and Windows XP Home
Benchmark Scores 2cm mark on bench with a razor blade.
This SSD should come with SSD magician which tweaks the OS for optimal performance with a few clicks.

The software is great.
I can not comment on the specific SSD but I do use the 830 which is still great.

If anything I think I should have gone for a larger capacity SSD.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
I've just installed the 250GB Evo. I used the data migration software and after a few wee visits to the bios (nothing ever goes super smooth for me :laugh: ) I now have a perfectly awesome larger SSD in place.

It does come with Samsumg magician software and it will play with your system to do what you ask it. Even to the point it disabled speedstep on my 3930k to keep it running at optimum speeds. Needless to say, quick visit to power config in windows to stop that shenanigans.

Loving the drive. :cool:

System Name Akame
Cooling Stock Air Cooler
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB (OS) /// Samsung 840 EVO 250GB /// Western Digital Caviar 1TB Green SATAIII
Display(s) Asus 22-inch VH226H Widescreen LCD Monitor (2ms, 3000:1, 1920x1080) Full HD
Mouse Roccat Kone AIMO
Thanks all for the swift reply! Really appreciate it, I'll look in to the link you posted springs113 and I'll also look in to the Samsung software too! :)

@the54thvoid: How come it turned speedstep off for you mate? What reason would it need for it to disable it to run optimally?

--Lee

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Thanks all for the swift reply! Really appreciate it, I'll look in to the link you posted springs113 and I'll also look in to the Samsung software too! :)

@the54thvoid: How come it turned speedstep off for you mate? What reason would it need for it to disable it to run optimally?

--Lee

Over rided speedstep in the windows power set up - kept me on max power for max performance.

System Name DEVIL'S ABYSS
Processor i7-4790K@4.6 GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97-Deluxe
Cooling Corsair H110 (2 x 140mm)(3 x 140mm case fans)
Memory 16GB Adata XPG V2 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 780 Ti Classified
Storage Intel 750 Series 400GB (AIC), Plextor M6e 256GB (M.2), 13 TB storage
Display(s) Crossover 27QW (27"@ 2560x1440)
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803
Benchmark Scores Passmark CPU score = 13080
The Samsung Magician software is great, and the latest version includes "Rapid Mode", which accelerates performance through DRAM cache strategies (it only works with 840 Evo drives). The rest of it optimizes (trims) your drive, benchmarks it, updates firmware, checks drive authenticity, over-provisioning settings, and an OS optimization section which allows you to tweak the drive's configuration according to your needs.

System Name Akame
Cooling Stock Air Cooler
Mouse Roccat Kone AIMO
Over rided speedstep in the windows power set up - kept me on max power for max performance.

Ahh, sounds like they put a lot of work in to the Samsung Magician software! :)

The Samsung Magician software is great, and the latest version includes "Rapid Mode", which accelerates performance through DRAM cache strategies (it only works with 840 Evo drives). The rest of it optimizes (trims) your drive, benchmarks it, updates firmware, checks drive authenticity, over-provisioning settings, and an OS optimization section which allows you to tweak the drive's configuration according to your needs.

Thanks mate, when I was reading the reviews I read about the Rapid Mode but wasn't sure what it was entirely, how to enable it, etc. Though the numbers shown where amazing!

I know I won't have the full SATAIII read/write speeds until I upgrade, as I'm currently running the XFX 790i Ultra, though when I have saved up a little I'm going to try and get some information about what motherboard would go best with an i7 3770k for gaming/streaming, though I will also be overclocking that processor. So when the time comes for it I'll be after a board that can sustain a good overclock! Not just that though, I'll need it to pair well with the rest of the system haha!

Cheers for the information guys! :toast:

--Lee