• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ATI x1650 ( non pro ) or 7900GS ???

raymerjacques

well, i was a huge nvidia fan, but not because they are "nvidia" , only because 3dfx closed down and nvidia bought their technology and their cards that followed were based on that technology. anyway, i became an ATI fan quite a while ago and allways planned my next card to be ATI.

but i will make up my mind tommorrow i guess, probly will end up taking the 7900gs ...

raymerjacques

Hey everyone, guess what i did today, i went and against everyone's advice i took the ATI card..... :banghead:

BUT , now all the features i use in vista works, fullscreen video ( i watch south park ) in realplayer works :rockout: , i can set my TV colors higher :D , and i can play gothic 3 on the highest possible settings, as high as it can go and it plays smooth :p . that is all i wanted from my pc, the only other game i play is starwars galaxies, so i did not need all that power of the nvidia card.

I knew going the ATI route was a good descision. Nvidia does not support fullscreen video, also nvidia i can't use realplayer, i get errors, and my old nvidia card could not handle gothic 3 very well, i had to play on lowest settings ....

so i am happy to be batting for ATI side :respect:

Also, my card is a 256mb X1650 pro, i thought it was non pro, but it turned out to be pro version afterall. and on top of that my vista shows that the card uses hyper ram, altho the box did not say it anywhere, and in vista it shows that it can use up to 1GB of hyper ram... may just be display bug , but if it is not SWEEEEET bonus :pimp: :eek: :cool:

System Name W.I.P.
Hey everyone, guess what i did today, i went and against everyone's advice i took the ATI card..... :banghead:

BUT , now all the features i use in vista works, fullscreen video ( i watch south park ) in realplayer works :rockout: , i can set my TV colors higher :D , and i can play gothic 3 on the highest possible settings, as high as it can go and it plays smooth :p . that is all i wanted from my pc, the only other game i play is starwars galaxies, so i did not need all that power of the nvidia card.

I knew going the ATI route was a good descision. Nvidia does not support fullscreen video, also nvidia i can't use realplayer, i get errors, and my old nvidia card could not handle gothic 3 very well, i had to play on lowest settings ....

so i am happy to be batting for ATI side :respect:

Also, my card is a 256mb X1650 pro, i thought it was non pro, but it turned out to be pro version afterall. and on top of that my vista shows that the card uses hyper ram, altho the box did not say it anywhere, and in vista it shows that it can use up to 1GB of hyper ram... may just be display bug , but if it is not SWEEEEET bonus :pimp: :eek: :cool:

As long as you are happy with your decision, that is all that matters. :toast:

Processor Intel Core i5 4690K
Motherboard AsRock Z97 Extreme4
Cooling Hyper 212 Evo
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) R9 Nano
Storage 256GB SATA SSD 2TB WD Blue
Display(s) 1920x1080
Case Cooler Master Elite 130
Power Supply CX650M
Software Argh, Windows 10. I hated Windows 7. I hate Windows 10 more. Give me back XP!!!
glad you are happy with it, but i have to say, it was still a stupid decision

the x1650Pro is complete crap, it can't even match a 7600gt

i don't know what you are talking about with video playback, my friend uses his 7900gt with vista and doesn't seem to have any problems, in fact i was just watching videos over at his house yesterday on it, worked fine in full screen

i don't know about realplayer as no one i know uses it, we all lost respect for it when it degraded to spyware

raymerjacques

i don't know what you are talking about with video playback, my friend uses his 7900gt with vista and doesn't seem to have any problems, in fact i was just watching videos over at his house yesterday on it, worked fine in full screen

i don't know about realplayer as no one i know uses it, we all lost respect for it when it degraded to spyware

I was not talking about fullscreen video, i was talking about fullscreen video "mirror" . there is a difference, and i use this feature ALOT. Nvidia no longer supports it in vista and have already announced that it will be permanently disabled due to changes made in Vista OS that make it incompatible. :banghead: :mad: :cry:

funny thing is that it works in ATI ..... :D :pimp: :cool:

I am happy with the card, it may not be fastest on the market, but i don't really play that many games, i may occasionaly buy a hit title , but ussualy i just pop it in to check it out and end up playing 5 mins before tossing it, the only game i really play is Starwars galaxies and that can play on a P III .....

So for what i do this card is plenty fast, the 2 most resource consuming games i have are Doom III and Gothic 3 , and i can play them both at highest settings and gameplay is as smooth as a baby's bottom, so i can't complain .... :toast:

Processor Core i7-12700k
Motherboard Z690 Aero G D4
Cooling Custom loop water, 3x 420 Rad
Video Card(s) RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming
Storage Plextor M10P 2TB
Display(s) InnoCN 27M2V
Case Thermaltake Level 20 XT
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster AE-5 Plus
Power Supply FSP Aurum PT 1200W
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit

The X1650Pro is not suppose to match a 7600GT, it is suppose to kick ass the 7600GS.
The X1650XT suppose to and truely owns the GT.:nutkick:

Processor Intel Core i5 4690K
Motherboard AsRock Z97 Extreme4
Cooling Hyper 212 Evo
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) R9 Nano
Storage 256GB SATA SSD 2TB WD Blue
Display(s) 1920x1080
Case Cooler Master Elite 130
Power Supply CX650M
Software Argh, Windows 10. I hated Windows 7. I hate Windows 10 more. Give me back XP!!!
The X1650Pro is not suppose to match a 7600GT, it is suppose to kick ass the 7600GS.
The X1650XT suppose to and truely owns the GT.:nutkick:

well the x1650Pro is what matches the 7600gt in price

the x1650xt does not "own" the 7600gt, they trade blows back and forth, they are pretty even, but the x1650xt of course costs more than the 7600gt

raymerjacques

well, to me it does not matter which is fastest, nvidia or ATI.

ATI has more features working in Vista, that is all i care about, besides, for every nvidia card out there , there is an equivalant ATI card, so i suppose it is about preference, if you like ati buy it, if you like nvidia buy it ... in my opinion it is worthwhile forking out the extra cash if you want ATI and it costs a little more, you will have less problems when you upgrade to vista in the long run, it is a pleasure to use vista now, before when i had a nvidia card it was a total nightmare !!!! :banghead: :cry:

so many things just work now with this X1650, i have installed the following games on vista :

Doom 3
Oblivion
Counterstrike Source
Farcry
Gothic 3
Unreal Tournament 2004

I am able to play them all on highest settings, and not only that i have purposfully alt-tabbbed out of them and opened windows in background to test muli tasking, internet explorer, opera etc .. and tried to push it to the limits. ( when i did this with nvidia card i had problems. ) and so far only doom 3 slows my pc down with multi tasking, the rest i hardly notice.

My next test is to install some older games and see if they run, more than 80% of my older games like carmaggedon etc did not run on nvidia in vista. hope they work with ATI ....

System Name Jezebelle
Processor i5 4690K
Motherboard MSI Z97M-G43
Cooling Noctua NH-U12
Memory 2x8GB Ballistix Sport
Video Card(s) GTX 1070 Ti
Storage Sandisk Ultra II 480GB, Sammy 1TB F3
Display(s) BenQ Xl2411Z
Case Fractal Define Mini
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek 7.1 HD, does the job!
Power Supply Enermax Infiniti 720W
Keyboard Logitech G15
Software Winblows 10 Pro
I'm glad you didn't care which would've been fast but I think the 7900 would've pwned the x1650! My xt variant prob lags a little behind the 7600GT but it was a deal and didn't require external power. If that 7900's still available I'd get rid ot the x1650 in favour of it, it'll be MUCH better in that u can use visual effects AND still get decent FPS, not like the x1650 where adding fsaa/ bumping up res' will slow her down to a crawl :D

raymerjacques

I'm glad you didn't care which would've been fast but I think the 7900 would've pwned the x1650! My xt variant prob lags a little behind the 7600GT but it was a deal and didn't require external power. If that 7900's still available I'd get rid ot the x1650 in favour of it, it'll be MUCH better in that u can use visual effects AND still get decent FPS, not like the x1650 where adding fsaa/ bumping up res' will slow her down to a crawl :D

true, but with 7900gs card i would have the same problems as before, and using vista would suck balls .... i would rather stick with this card i have now.

System Name Jezebelle
Processor i5 4690K
Motherboard MSI Z97M-G43
Cooling Noctua NH-U12
Memory 2x8GB Ballistix Sport
Video Card(s) GTX 1070 Ti
Storage Sandisk Ultra II 480GB, Sammy 1TB F3
Display(s) BenQ Xl2411Z
Case Fractal Define Mini
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek 7.1 HD, does the job!
Power Supply Enermax Infiniti 720W
Keyboard Logitech G15
Software Winblows 10 Pro
It's not a certainty that you would experience the same issues as the gpu's on the card are different. The ati vista drivers are reliable for me anyway. Flgo the card and get the xt, you will NOT be dissapointed! My 3dmark05 score went up from about 5,500 to over 7,900 :D