• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Desktop speaker suggestions

System Name HTPC
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 - 3.00/6M/1333
Motherboard AsRock G31M-GS R2.0
Cooling CoolerMaster Vortex 752 - Black
Memory 4 Go (2x2) Kingston ValueRam DDR2-800
Video Card(s) Asus EN8600GT/HTDP/512M
Storage WD 3200AAKS
Display(s) 32" Irico E320GV-FHD
Case Aerocool Qx-2000
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Enermax NoiseTaker 2 - 465w
Mouse Logitech Wave MK550 combo (M510)
Keyboard Logitech Wave MK550 combo (K350)
Software Win_7_Pro-French
Benchmark Scores Windows index : 6.5 / 6.5 / 5.6 / 6.3 / 5.9
The Z323 sound absolutely garbage compared to the x230's to me. Muddy vocals, unwanted thumping bass, nonexistent highs, but if you like it all is good

Sounds like a girlfriend saying : "I would not have done it like that but up to you!" :D

System Name N/A
Processor i7-4790K
Motherboard Asus Z97-A
Cooling Thermalright True Power 140
Memory 2 x 8GB GeIL Potenza 2400Mhz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 Gaming
Storage 2TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) 24" Samsung 1080p LED Monitor
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro
Power Supply Corsair TX650W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown MX)
Software Windows 8.1
The Z323 sound absolutely garbage compared to the x230's to me. Muddy vocals, unwanted thumping bass, nonexistent highs, but if you like it all is good

They sound really similar to me. The old set weren't exceptional, that's gonna be my future set. It was like my headphone jump from Sony XBRs to Audio Technica ATH-M50s. That's the kinda jump I wanna make with my next speaker set

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Processor R7 5800X @ Stock | i7 12700H @ Stock
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming BIOS 6203| Legion 5i Pro NM-E231
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S Push-Pull + NT-H1 | Stock Cooling
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Display(s) Acer 28" 4K VG280K x2 | 16" 2560x1600 built-in
Case Corsair 600C - Stock Fans on Low | Stock Metal/Plastic
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
Mouse Logitech G502 | Logitech M330
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Core RGB | Built in Keyboard (Lenovo laptop KB FTW)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 | Windows 11 Home x64
Then you should go hi-fi. Get a powered 8" or 10" sub.

I love my Pioneer SP-BS21 speakers: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004MEWZE4/?tag=tec06d-20

And being powered by this Dayton DTA-100a amp: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004JK8BDK/?tag=tec06d-20

I actually don't run my 12" Dayton powered sub...too much bass. That's why I recommend an 8" or 10". But honestly the pioneers can put out decent bass with some eq-ing, but they are not bass monsters. Definitely not as much bass as the X-230's but plenty for everything I listen to. If I want a lotta bass I slap on my Denon D2000's. Also the Dayton amp has an amplified headphone output as well.

If you want the difference between the great and in my mind legendary (for cheap PC 2.1 speakers) Logitech X-230's, then get out of the pre-made PC speakers and actually build something more hi-fi. Going from cheaper sony heapdhones to the M50's is a good jump, and if you expect that from speakers, you will need to pay for it imho.

You might get more bass but it won't be as accurate, it will be muddier. Good luck with the hi's and mids on a 2.1 kit as well. Get some good speakers. The Pioneers are great, but take some time to research and build your own setup if you don't like my suggestions. I've been very happy with my setup, and when I want bass my Dayton 12" powered sub will knock my apt off it's foundation, but does it sound good when it's all tuned and comes together. I use my Creative Console EQ, run analog out from my X-Fi Forte using a 3.5mm to RCA (low level L and R channel) wire like this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002KR1OG/?tag=tec06d-20

Overall not much more difficult than other PC speaker setup, and depending on your market the cost may even be comparable, and even if it costs more, the overall quality is well worth it imho.

So if you wanna go to the next level, it's pretty obvious in my mind where you need to go. Otherwise you will end up side/down-grading like the X-230's to 323's. I've heard both of those...and my X-230's (my G/F has them) blow the 323's her sister has out of the water...no comparison. Though I did slap an Asus Xonar DG in my G/F's PC and that made a HUGE difference in sound quality compared to the onboard solution, and also has a pretty decent integrated HP amp for cheaper headphones.

I hope that helps you on your venture into upgrading your PC speaker system, make it worth your time and invest in the better parts now so you're not wasting your money and your time later replacing cheaper junk you shouldn't have purchased in the first place.

:toast:

D

Deleted member 24505

These are what I'm using, lovely little speakers. Mission 760i SE

System Name TheSchnitzelkiller
Processor Intel Xeon e5 1650 @4.4 GHZ 1.36v
Motherboard Gigabyte X79-UD3
Cooling EK Supremacy MX, EK coolstream 240, DDC-1t + EK top and EK tubing, Noctua NF-F12 Industrial 2000 PWM
Memory Kingston hyperX blu 16gb 1866
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon r9 390 Nitro @1080mhz
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250gb, wd red 3tb
Display(s) Dell U3415W, Dell U2414H
Case Powermac g5 with The laserhive ATX conversion kit
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM1000
Mouse Roccat Savu
Keyboard KBP v60 Matias click
Software windows 10 pro

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
Some other brands to look at are KRK, Swan, M-Audio, Audioengine, etc. I was researching my hi-fi setup back in Spring 2012...here's one of my posts from that thread, keep in mind a few of those models were soon to be replaced as well...so there may be newer versions with different names or qualities, as always do research based off of suggestions that fit your needs:

Well I made a decision and it actually ended up going a different direction from what I've spent the last week researching. But we'll get to that later, I figured I'd link some of the active powered speakers/monitors I was looking at in varying price ranges.

Audioengine A2 - $200 - Those that buy them for PC use love them and usually mix them with a sub for a 2.1 setup that nothing mainstream PC (logitech, creative) can supposedly touch.

Audioengine A5 - $300, A5+ - $400 - One very highly regarded active monitor by many, hated by some. But the overall is that this is a very awesome sounding 2.0 active monitor set in it's price range(s) if you can afford it.

Swan D1080Mk2 08 / D1080 IV - $170-200 - Very popular and considered a solid value product. Has higher failure rate than Audioengines, but many appreciate the $$$ saved and are very content it seems.

Swan M50W 2.1 - $290 - One of their bestsellers, not too much out there. But what is out there is all positive. I came really close to biting the bullet on this option, attractive looking, decent specs and I'm sure it'd demolish what I have had for sound for the last 6 years.

M-Audio Bx5e - $200+ - Very popular M-Audio offering. Supposed to be better in every way compared to the AV series, more durable, fewer failures. Many like them, but a lot move onto Audioengines or Swans from here.

KRK Rokit 5 G2 - $150/per speaker - Highly recommended if you prefer more hardcore/accurate monitoring. Each has seperate inputs, power supply, volume control, power switches. That's not for me...I prefer something more integrated and easier to work with. Though I have read it's worth all of that hassle in the quality of audio reproduction. The 6" version is also recommended.

So this is the narrowed list I came down to after spending some time talking to BumbleBee and doing some mad researching. There were so many varied opinions, goods, bads, each had their own issues and strong points. I was super close to biting the bullet and buying a pair of Audioengine A5's for $299 off of Amazon. They have good bass many have said, put out amazing sound for the price and are fun to listen to. Then I came across a suggestion to check out some other options.

Someone told me to check these out:

Pioneer SP-BS21-LR - $59+ - Very highly regarded as the best sounding sub-$100 passive bookshelf speaker around by a healthy margin. Apperently the guy that helped design these speakers also was behind some very hi-end stuff as well. Just google these things...people love them. Due to the 4" woofer, bass is light, and a sub is recommended. But that these are heavily recommended. So ok...the price is right, the sound is supposedly great, but they're passive...so what kind of amp do I need to power these? Well read on...

Dayton Audio DTA-100a Class-T Digital Mini Amplifier - $90.00 - Well this one came up far more than any other Class-T amp I researched. Power, value, specs, durability, it's pretty darned popular from what I gathered and many used it with the Pioneers above and recommend both or the slightly cheaper Dayton B652 passive speakers. Well, I like the power specs and I like the fact its not a huge stereo receiver I don't have room for...this amp I totally can make room for, comes with a headphone amp built in (might be sending my FiiO E9 back soon if it's good!). It doesn't have all the input/output bells and whistles of a cheap receiver but I didn't need those...when I do I'll buy a decent receiver. This thing seemed to be perfect for my needs.

Well I still need bass...now I HAVE to get a sub. Those Pioneers may sound great, but they are not bass monsters. The Audioengine A2's may have more bass...and the A5's surely do fwir. But as it stands I'm $149 into this deal and I have amplified bookshelf speakers that will probably demolish my Logitech X-230's.

Well after tons of researches and deals on subs in the $100-200+ range I came upon Dayton once again after may recommendations while researching. The Dayton Audio SUB-80 to 120 series offer some serious bang for the buck. They may not be the sharpest, cleanest, best bass out there but at their price range again are often argued to be better than many more expensive options. I'm a sucker for value and I wanted to come as close to finding the JVC HA-RX700 deal in this situation...but the more I think about it the more I feel the X-230's were that option to begin with and it's long gone.

Dayton Audio SUB-100 HT - $90 - The most recommended between the 8", 10" and 12" is the 10". I prefer impact with decent extension, and the 10" is as close as I can get and fit in my room near my PC desk. Plenty of power at 125W, and again, was a strongly recommended match for the previous two pieces of audio equipment above I just purchased. Deal. This should be a truly epic 2.1 kit in the sub $300 arena.

Why did I go with a passive + amp + sub kit? Honestly I wanted to stay clear of that and just get another fully integrated deal like my X-230's. Hence looking at Swan's M50W's, Klipsh's Promedia 2.1's, Logitech's z623, etc...but the more I researched the more dissapointing things I found...or in the M50W's case just not enough to be that confident in it yet.

Plus once I stumbled upon the speaker + amp + sub combo and researched them...it seemed to be what I'm looking for with plenty of capabilities, simplicity of use, solid performing products at a solid value that should be something I keep around for a while. I'd still like to try out the Audioengine A5's and considered getting those and waiting to replenish my funds to get a sub like the Dayton...but I feel I made the right budget decision for me at this point. We shall see when everything shows up in a week or two as I went with the Free/Ground shipping options to keep total price down.

I figured I'd post what I was looking at, what I decided on and why and hopefully later will be able to post what my thoughts are. When starting this, spending over $100 was a no-go...but BB talked me into a higher budget...we shall see if my decision was wise. I have a very good feeling about it all at this point, hopefully march is a great month for Kursah's 2.1 pc audio!

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
9 days and no more posts...I'm curious as to what you ended up doing El Mayo!

I hooked my sub back up...using hi-level from the speakers as I don't have RCA's available and I want to use my 21's for some more midbass punch. The RCA outs from the sub have a 275hz 8db cutoff.

My Pioneer SB21's have been replaced by 22's but they're almost identical. And my Dayton 100 Sub is replaced my a much improved 1000 sub. I didn't replace them...I'm just letting you know what models replace them. I will say after about 10 minutes of tune...WOW! I've been just enjoying the Pioneers and they do sound very good...this little DTA100a amp is a beast! It does seem more recent reviews are not very good..but my amp has been through a lot and kids and hasn't failed...never runs hot...and puts out plenty of power but there are some other very good options or if one gets an old used receiver unit that would work well too.

Either way...this thread made my unplug the headphones for a bit (well unplug my much loved Iron Buds!) and enjoy my speakers more seriously. I'm glad I did and I'm even happier I went this route. While I can always listen to my much loved and very old refurbished in 2006 (I think..it was right around then..about a year before I joined TPU) Logitech X-230's. They still sound great...it's really amazing how much sound those cheap little speakers put out even to this day. But then my system that cost me around about $250US that is just an another level completely....EPIC!

I hope you are enjoying an improved audio experience El Mayo! :toast:

Last edited:

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
Last edited:
D

Deleted member 24505

The bigger ones of those old speakers were better and i remember the treble lacking some. i have had issue's with small rubber dome tweeters (preference) but i bet ya got them for a nice price. The much older speakers were much better.

They about 13 year+ old now ?. in fact maybe getting on to 15+.

They still sound well nice. The drivers are in nice condition, but the cabinets a bit so so, no matter though.

System Name N/A
Processor i7-4790K
Motherboard Asus Z97-A
Cooling Thermalright True Power 140
Memory 2 x 8GB GeIL Potenza 2400Mhz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 Gaming
Storage 2TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) 24" Samsung 1080p LED Monitor
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro
Power Supply Corsair TX650W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown MX)
Software Windows 8.1
9 days and no more posts...I'm curious as to what you ended up doing El Mayo!

I hooked my sub back up...using hi-level from the speakers as I don't have RCA's available and I want to use my 21's for some more midbass punch. The RCA outs from the sub have a 275hz 8db cutoff.

My Pioneer SB21's have been replaced by 22's but they're almost identical. And my Dayton 100 Sub is replaced my a much improved 1000 sub. I didn't replace them...I'm just letting you know what models replace them. I will say after about 10 minutes of tune...WOW! I've been just enjoying the Pioneers and they do sound very good...this little DTA100a amp is a beast! It does seem more recent reviews are not very good..but my amp has been through a lot and kids and hasn't failed...never runs hot...and puts out plenty of power but there are some other very good options or if one gets an old used receiver unit that would work well too.

Either way...this thread made my unplug the headphones for a bit (well unplug my much loved Iron Buds!) and enjoy my speakers more seriously. I'm glad I did and I'm even happier I went this route. While I can always listen to my much loved and very old refurbished in 2006 (I think..it was right around then..about a year before I joined TPU) Logitech X-230's. They still sound great...it's really amazing how much sound those cheap little speakers put out even to this day. But then my system that cost me around about $250US that is just an another level completely....EPIC!

I hope you are enjoying an improved audio experience El Mayo! :toast:

I got the Z323 in the end, but I would like to buy a serious set up. I don't know a lot about amplifiers and stuff like that but I live near a music tech store and I'm sure they sell monitor speakers and the like so I could see what they've got in stock

D

Deleted member 24505

I got the Z323 in the end, but I would like to buy a serious set up. I don't know a lot about amplifiers and stuff like that but I live near a music tech store and I'm sure they sell monitor speakers and the like so I could see what they've got in stock

There are some very nice Active(with built in amps) monitor speakers, or you could go for a nice 2 channel amp and a pair of the new pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers-

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-BS22-LR-Designed-Bookshelf-Loudspeakers/dp/B008NCD2LG

System Name NERV
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard ASROCK B450M Steel Legend
Cooling Artic Freezer 33 One + 2x Akasa 140mm
Memory 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport 2993 MHz
Video Card(s) KFA2 GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
Storage Crucial Mx500 500GB + 1TB HDD
Display(s) Samsung C34H892
Case CM Masterbox Q300L
Audio Device(s) ALC892 + Topping D30
Power Supply Corsair RM650
Mouse CM Mastermouse Lite S
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores No bech, only game!
System Name Main Rig
Processor Athlon 5350
Motherboard AsRock mITX
Memory 4gb
Storage 120gb Kingston HyperX SSD
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster 740N
Power Supply Corsair 430 watt

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member

Nice man I hope those Z323's take care of ya until you upgrade! I didn't know much either about Class T amps and what-not. I just spent a lot of time researching and seeing what others had good success with mixing and matching together in my budget. It was either buy some powered speakers like my big quote has several links to or mix shelf speakers with an amp and powered sub.

Monitor speakers should be quite nice, you may still seek a sub of 8" or 10" though depending on your bass needs though. But you could always start with speakers + amp or powered speakers and then add a sub later on if you need. I suppose that's later on when you make the decision to upgrade again! Enjoy your new setup for a bit!

D

Deleted member 24505

These are what I am using now, they are studio speakers.

Each speaker is exactly the same. I don't know the wattage.

They have Immedia broadcasting ltd on the back but I don't know any other details about them.