• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Nvidia "Redemption" and potential hardware requirements

System Name Supersmartladan
Processor Core i5 4670K
Motherboard Asus Maximus VI HERO
Cooling Scythe Kotetsu
Memory Crucial 2*8GB 1600Mhz CL9 1.35V
Video Card(s) XFX RX480 RS 4GB
Storage 256GB Samsung 830 SSD and 3*4TB Seagate ST4000DM000 in RAID1+Backup
Display(s) AOC AG271QX 27" 1440p 144Hz TN AdaptiveSync + Dell Ultrasharp U2415 1920*1200 60Hz IPS
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA G2 650W
Mouse Zowie EC-1A
Keyboard Ozone Strike Battle Red
Software Winbloat 7
I have learned a few things since my last thread.
1. Swearing is frowned upon here.
2. People like going off topic.
3. Reading is hard.

I hope to remedy the problems these things caused with this thread.
I would also like to publicly apologize to Frick, the guy I was unnecessarily rude to when he went off topic in the last thread: I'm sorry.

OFF TOPIC POSTS WILL NOT BE TOLERATED. I will ask a mod to remove comments that are off topic.

Now, for the actual topic:
_______________________________________________________________________________________

Nvidia is rumored to be paying Red Hat to develop a new API to compete with AMD's Mantle API on Linux.
This new API is allegedly based on IOMMU technology.

"Redemption" is very much an inofficial name.

If anybody knows any more details on the topic please share. Is this rumor false or does it seem reasonable/belivable?

Now, this potentially creates a problem for me since I was planning on purchasing a 4670K to overclock, but as seen on the list below, there are no K CPUs with IOMMU support.
Here's a list of CPUs that support the technology and a few of the motherboards that do.

Asus' Z87 (and Z77) motherboards apparently have problems with IOMMU too, because they're using a different PCI controller than standard. This controller will allegedly cause problems for both Mantle and Redemption, while the K CPUs only cause problems for Redemption. (because the AMD GCN architecture has its own IOMMU pipeline and thus needs no CPU support)
This very same controller is also causing losses in performance according to the same source.
Is this true? Should Z87 Asus motherboards be avoided?

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
First time I hear that IOMMU is used with Mantle? You are confusing Mantle with HSA.

Look at the original presentation, I think the author at teksyndicate does not exactly understand what he's talking about and just did some guessing, based on seeing an NVIDIA logo in a Redhat presentation

Processor Core i5 4670K
Cooling Scythe Kotetsu
Display(s) AOC AG271QX 27" 1440p 144Hz TN AdaptiveSync + Dell Ultrasharp U2415 1920*1200 60Hz IPS
Mouse Zowie EC-1A
Software Winbloat 7
First time I hear that IOMMU is used with Mantle? You are confusing Mantle with HSA
So IOMMU has nothing to do with Mantle? Do you know this? If so, how?
I'm very much a noob with lower level commands and protocols, so further explanation would be appreciated.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
IOMMU these days is used for virtualization. So that you can map the VGA card's memory directly into the virtual machine and don't have to go through the host OS. This provides a performance advantage for virtual machines running 3D services, which seems to be exactly what NVIDIA is trying to achieve with RedHat on Linux.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/enterprise-virtualization.html
http://www.nvidia.com/content/vca/NV_GRID_VCA_DataSheet_HR.pdf

IOMMU (AMD term) on Intel is called VT-d: http://software.intel.com/en-us/art...ms-for-efficient-virtualization-of-io-devices

and it's not supported on Intel K processors, which makes it completely irrelevant for gaming

D

Deleted member 24505

IOMMU these days is used for virtualization. So that you can map the VGA card's memory directly into the virtual machine and don't have to go through the host OS. This provides a performance advantage for virtual machines running 3D services, which seems to be exactly what NVIDIA is trying to achieve with RedHat on Linux.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/enterprise-virtualization.html
http://www.nvidia.com/content/vca/NV_GRID_VCA_DataSheet_HR.pdf

IOMMU (AMD term) on Intel is called VT-d: http://software.intel.com/en-us/art...ms-for-efficient-virtualization-of-io-devices

and it's not supported on Intel K processors, which makes it completely irrelevant for gaming

Is there any particular reason it is not supported on the K's? Thanks

Processor Core i5 4670K
Cooling Scythe Kotetsu
Mouse Zowie EC-1A
Software Winbloat 7
I know, but is there a reason why this isn't or won't be used in 3D rendering applications outside of virtual machines?

How so? And I'd also like to second Tigger's question: is there a reason for this lack of support?

Last edited:

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Intel says K processors are designed for gaming, not for virtualization. My guess is the underlying reason is that they don't want to endanger their Xeon server processor business. Nothing stops you from buying a 4770K, saving a ton of money, packing it full of RAM and running it as a server - as long as you don't run a lot of virtual machines

D

Deleted member 24505

Intel says K processors are designed for gaming, not for virtualization. My guess is the underlying reason is that they don't want to endanger their Xeon server processor business. Nothing stops you from buying a 4770K, saving a ton of money, packing it full of RAM and running it as a server - as long as you don't run a lot of virtual machines

Kind of understandable reason, thanks

Processor Core i5 4670K
Cooling Scythe Kotetsu
Mouse Zowie EC-1A
Software Winbloat 7
Okay, thanks.
Only two more questions then and I'm done with this thread:
Is there a reason why IOMMU isn't or won't be used in 3D rendering applications outside of virtual machines?
And does the statement that 'Asus Z87 PCIe controller has problems with reduced framerates/performance' hold any weight?

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Is there a reason why IOMMU isn't or won't be used in 3D rendering applications outside of virtual machines?
I can't think of anything, except for HSA maybe.

And does the statement that 'Asus' Z87 PCIe controller has problems with reduced framerates/performance' hold any weight?
I never heard of that or any such issues. Got a link for me with more substantial info?

Edit: I found some references in official MS statements that Xbox One is running virtualization on both the CPU and GPU, so maybe there could be a use for it after all. But still, no IOMMU on K processors, so not gonna happen on PC

Last edited:
Processor Core i5 4670K
Cooling Scythe Kotetsu
Mouse Zowie EC-1A
Software Winbloat 7
I never heard of that or any such issues. Got a link for me with more substantial info?
I haven't found any more info, no. This was a statement by the guy that made the Nvidia Redemption thread. I'm skeptical of the truthfulness of the statement as such a thing would likely have been noticed by enthusiasts by now.
I found some references in official MS statements that Xbox One is running virtualization on both the CPU and GPU, so maybe there could be a use for it after all. But still, no IOMMU on K processors, so not gonna happen on PC
So essentially, it could happen, but probably won't, at least not for a good few years forward?

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Usual tactic of the company making the customer fit around them, rather than the other way around.

It implies that there's no genuine performance difference between the Xeons (excepting more cache/cores) and the regular chips so this is a way to help keep prices high for so-called "server grade" processors.

Processor Core i5 4670K
Cooling Scythe Kotetsu
Mouse Zowie EC-1A
Software Winbloat 7
Usual tactic of the company making the customer fit around them, rather than the other way around.
Yeah, kinda douchy :(

Also, after a few questions in the Nvidia Redemption thread on Tek Syndicate I'm really starting to doubt the truthfulness of his statements, at least the one about the Asus PCIe controllers. I've asked several times for links now. The first time I got a link to a test that didn't even use graphics cards (just integrated graphics). The second time he wanted to refer me to searching google or ddg and explicitly said that he didn't want to give me a link and that he didn't give a shit about what I thought.. It honestly seemed like he was trying to dodge my request for proof.
After that I took some time to try to dig up some benchmarks between H87 and Z87 motherboards. I found ONE benchmark that tried 3D mark and Metro 2033, both of which displayed no hints of the the things he stated. His mention of the 3.12 Kernel leads me to believe these problems might be specific to Linux(I thought they were hardware specific first), but he has mentioned nothing about that..
He has not responded to my third try after over a day.

Anyway, big thanks to Wiz for all the responses I got. This was very fruitful.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!

It implies that there's no genuine performance difference between the Xeons (excepting more cache/cores) and the regular chips so this is a way to help keep prices high for so-called "server grade" processors.

On the other hand, non-K CPU's have all those fancy features. They just don't like overclocking anymore. :(