• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Powercolor HD 7870 GHz edition UEFI vBios

jjstecchino

I have been looking everywhere without success for a UEFI vbios for a XFX Double D HD 7870 GHz Edition. This particular card has a Pitcairn XT and drives 2 DVI, 2 Mini DP and an HDMI port. The only card I saw with identical features and a UEFI bios is the Powercolor HD 7870 GHz edition (UEFI Ready) and I think its bios would work on the xfx.
I can't see this card for retail in the US and I am wondering if it is available for purchase.

I would love to try this powercolor card UEFI vbios on the xfx card. I am reaching out to owners of this particular powercolor 7870 and see if anybody could post the bios either in the forum or in the vbios database.

Thanks

Johnny

PS I would be glad to try any brand of UEFI vbios for a 7870 Pitcairn XT card with 2 dvi, 2 mini display port and 1 hdmi and report back.

Last edited:
System Name H2o Box
Processor Intel(R) Xeon e5-2690 v2 Stock 3.300 GHz stock
Motherboard MSI X79A-G43 Plus (MS-7760) v3
Cooling CPU EK & Phobya G-Changer 360 V2.0 RAD H2o VGA "AlphaCool M18" Hybrid [pump replaced 18/8/21]
Memory G.Skill TridentX 16Gb 11-12-12-32 2T @ 1866Mhz [locked]
Video Card(s) Zotac GTX 1080ti AMP EXTREME
Storage HyperX Fury 120GB & Savage 480GB SSD, Seagate 250GB,250GB 7200rpm Kingston 64GB SSD
Display(s) Asus TUF Gaming VG32VQR 2560*1440 165Hz VA Panel
Case Corsair O-800D
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
Power Supply Be Quiet! [Dark Power Pro 11] 1200W CM replaced [7-4-2017]
Mouse Zelotes T-90
Keyboard K66 Mechanical US Layout
Software Win 10 Pro 64Bit v 20H2 / OS [build 19043.1237] WFEP 120.2212.3530.0
Hi

Welcome to TPU

Flashing a vga card is not common practice unless there is an issue that cannot be resolved with a driver update and or the manufacture has released a vbios image that is required to improve stability.

Flashing a vga card with another manufactures vbios image is *NOT Recommended in this case. [in general there is always a small chance the flash chip will fail / corrupt and brick the card; *even if the default vbios image has been backed-up]

Note: Flashing a UEFI vbios image is permanent this process is irreversible in most cases. [most likely not be able to use a default vbios/backup of the original to recover the vga card]

Advice: register the XFX Double D FX-787A-CDFC; raise a ticket with XFX support and ask if there is a UEFI bios available for this vga model.

[*If no update is available for the card sell it and purchase a card that supports UEFI out of the box]

atb (all the best)

Law-II

jjstecchino

Thank you Law II

I raised a ticket with XFX and they told me a uefi bios would be coming soon. That was 6 months ago. I reopen the ticket with no answer on their side (they aren't the most communicative people in the world)

Having said that I perfectly understand your points, however I am willing to try a powercolor bios on my card. If it get bricked so be it.
I believe if processor and types of video outputs are the same the vbios has a high chance to work. I would be very happy if somebody could post the uefi bios of exactly the same powercolor card I mentioned on my first post.

Thanks

Johnny

jjstecchino

No takers?

Maybe this card is very uncommon. I would be willing to try any powercolor uefi bios for a 7870 with 2 DVI, 2 Mini DP and 1 HDMI. There are a few models with this arrangement. If you have one please post.

Thanks

Johnny

ana4732

Hello,
I like your help please. I don't know enough about vga-bios updating and now I have a problem.
I bought used an HD7850 vtx3d 2g x-edition ( tried on win 8 or win 7 monitor is the Dell wfp2407, 1900x1200)). This card don't has any switch for bios. When I raise the analysis to 1900x1200 , starts the problems. The image its ok for all others applications and videos from dvd and hdd but every time when i try see streaming video for example from youtube the screen after that in 10-30 sec goes light blue ,with running horizontal thin white lines. Need to be reset the pc.
I see that my card has loaded (according techpowerup ) other bios version (instead of the 015.017.000.000.000861 , is loaded the 015.021.000.002 20/8/12).
I try to upload the correct bios for that card. I run the atiwinflash (win7) for save the xxx861.rom . When I tred to "load image" the xx.861 again back to the card, so to check if I can load it correctly I received the message "SubsystemID is missing". I run the atiflash -unlock 0 , atiflash -f -p 0 xxx.rom , and trying "load image" again for the xxx.002 bios and the downloaded correct bios from your site but every time, when just appears the proccessing windows the pc bricks or at the begging or due the procedure. I must to reset the pc.
I don't know what is the UEFI bios ( and if my card supposts this ).
Trying to see the settings at the rbe1.28 , this software don't understands the ATI card , neither can load any xxx.rom bios for 7xxx series ,rising the message "its not a ATI radeon bios".
It's not the correct software ? Need the vbe7 software ? I search to download it but I can't. Any link please ?
Can try with the atiflash ? What are the correct settings for my 7850 ? and anyway to load these data manually ? which software is the correct one ?
thanks for your attention

Last edited:
System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
I Know for a FACT that Powercolor WILL provide You with a GPU Bios if You ask them.
JGaray@powercolor has done it for Me Twice...although ,HE no longer works there, but Denny is a Cool Guy , Try him @.......

Denny_ly@powercolor.com

Although I DO NOT promote Lying , I DO KNOW that it help's if Your a Card Owner.....Use that info as You see fit.

Last edited:
System Name Main
Processor Intel Core i7 2600K @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth P67 (B3)
Cooling Thermalright Macho
Memory G.Skill Sniper Series 16GB
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition (V2)
Storage WD6400AAKS 640GB + Samsung 2TB Green
Display(s) DELL U2711
Case CoolerMaster CM-690 II Advanced
Audio Device(s) Creative Audigy SB1394
Power Supply XFX 750W Black Edition
Software Windows 8.1 x64
Hi!
I have PowerColor HD7870 GHz Edition 2GB GDDR5 (V2).
I've extracted through GPU-Z and checked it's BIOS through XVI32. Found that it has UEFI support inside.

Note that this card is Pitcairn architecture with 1000/1200 freq formula!
Don't try to flash this to 7870 based on Thaiti LE architecture with freq formula 975/1500 or similar, or you'll definitely brick your card.

I'm providing my VGA UEFI vBIOS in the attachment... for a risky guys which want to experiment with UEFI vBIOS support on their Pitcairn fueled 7870's with same board design and same port config (check GPU Database). If it'll help somehow, view also this link.

And remember, all you're gonna do - is your own risk. I will have no responsibility if you'll brick your card anyhow.

Attachments

• PowerColor_7870_2GB_1000_1200_Pitcairn_UEFI.zip
    103.9 KB · Views: 527
Last edited:
I own an XFX HD 7870 DD (FX-787A-CDFC) myself and have been running it with a custom video bios for more than half a year. Mostly for Hackintosh reasons, later to being able to use Ultra Fast Boot with Windows 8.1.

In the beginning of 2013 XFX' support wasn't able to give any definite answer about UEFI support for the 7870 and stopped replying at all when I asked several months later about it again.
Even the new R 270x cards from XFX seem to be shipped with a legacy video bios, according to the tpu database. :(

I do however have two small issues with the card, but I suspect they would even exist with the original video bios - I never took the time to test it:
- I see an artifact from time to time, very rarely. It has the form of a thin line, goes across the screen and disappears in an instant making it very hard to be noticed at all. It happens only when gaming, probably under load. Doesn't bother me much to be honest.
- Video output is lost when Windows idles a while and the monitor stays black. A suspect might be AMD's "ZeroCore Power" feature. Currently I try to figure out how to fix it.

Here is the modified video bios. It is based on the Pitcairn XT Black Edition (FX-787A-CDBC), which has slightly increased clocks compared to the DD edition, and contains the GOP driver from a PowerColor card (PC.AX7870.2GBD5.2DHOC). The port layout of both cards is the same. The archive contains two versions: one with an unchanged voltage of 1219mV and another undervolted one with 1100mV. The checksum has been corrected.

Attachments

• XFXHD7870.Pitcairn.UEFI.zip
    202.2 KB · Views: 471