• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD's Revolutionary Mantle Graphics API Adopted by Various Developers

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
AMD today announced three new game developer partnerships for Mantle, its highly acclaimed, groundbreaking graphics API. Cloud Imperium Games, Eidos-Montréal, a part of the Square Enix Group, and Oxide Games are the latest game developers to join AMD in optimizing the way PC games are developed to extract maximum performance from a modern graphics architecture that spans desktop PCs, notebooks and consumer devices like tablets.

"AMD is proud to play an instrumental role in transforming the world of game development with Mantle," said Ritche Corpus, director of ISV gaming and alliances, AMD. "With the support and close collaboration between AMD and industry-leading game developers like Cloud Imperium, Eidos-Montréal and Oxide, Mantle can maximize optimization for highly anticipated PC titles, bringing an unparalleled gaming experience for players."

Cloud Imperium Games is currently developing "Star Citizen," the highly anticipated, crowd-funded PC space simulator from legendary game designer Chris Roberts.
"AMD's Mantle will allow us to extract more performance from an AMD Radeon GPU than any other graphics API," said Chris Roberts, CEO, Cloud Imperium Games. "Mantle is vitally important for a game like Star Citizen, which is being designed with the need for massive GPU horsepower. With Mantle, our team can spend more time achieving our perfect artistic vision, and less time worrying about whether or not today's gaming hardware will be ready to deliver it."

Eidos-Montréal is the studio behind "THIEF," an upcoming first-person stealth adventure set for release in February 2014. Eidos-Montréal also developed "DEUS EX: HUMAN REVOLUTION," an AMD Gaming Evolved title.

"Mantle lets you use AMD Radeon GPUs the way they are meant to be used, unlocking many new opportunities and increased CPU and GPU performance," said David Anfossi, studio head, Eidos-Montréal. "Because of this, Mantle is one of the most important changes to PC graphics in many years."

Helmed by industry veterans, Oxide Games is designing the new "Nitrous" engine for 64-bit, multi-core processors.

"AMD's Mantle technology lets us get more out of the hardware than any other solution available," said Dan Baker, co-founder, Oxide Games. "Adding Mantle support to our multi-platform, 64-bit Nitrous engine realizes significant gains in performance on Mantle-enabled hardware without adding enormous development overhead."

Cloud Imperium Games, Eidos-Montréal and Oxide Games will join AMD and DICE in speaking about Mantle architecture and implementation at the AMD Developer Summit (APU 13), running Nov. 11-14 in San Jose, Calif. In addition, Oxide Games will be showing a public sneak preview of Mantle performance at the event.

For those interested, complimentary access to all APU 13 keynote sessions is available by registering online, in limited numbers while quantities last. Notable keynote speakers include: Dr. Lisa Su, senior vice president and general manager, Global Business Units, AMD; Johan Andersson, technical director, DICE; Dominic Mallinson, vice president, research and development, Sony; and Mark Papermaster, chief technology officer, AMD.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Nothing surprising there, right? I'd be more likely to notice if they'd won over the Unreal Engine or even the Crytek Engine. Hell, even the Unity Engine.

I think given the longstanding relationship between AMD and Square-Enix, I'd have been more shocked had they NOT been Mantle than if they were.

This is one of those cases where AMD might have been better served NOT saying anything rather than saying something and seeming to prove they're actually lacking the widespread support they claimed they had.

Plus, Oxide's engine is... used by what exactly? AMD's goal is to get engines on board, but they need engines that the developers are actually using. Then they have to convince the publishers themselves to support developers using said engines. Lots of money is going to have to flow and so far it doesn't seem like AMD has the cash to make it happen...

Meanwhile, nVidia and especially Intel's coffers overflow with cash.

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / Sharkoon Rebel 9 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 / Windows 7
"Mantle lets you use AMD Radeon GPUs the way they are meant to be used"

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
"Mantle lets you use AMD Radeon GPUs the way they are meant to be used"

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reminds me of some company, can't quite remember which one :p

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w
This is good news for everyone except engine devs, they will have more work infront of them.

Call me a fanatic, but I want Mantle to die ASAP.

A proprietary 3D rendering API just shouldn't exist - if, for instance, AMD bankrupts all those Mantle "powered" games won't run anywhere else ever again.

Even though Glide didn't have enough time to live, we still a whole lot of games you won't be able to run because Glide is not supported.

Mantle is not good news for anyone - even for AMD since they are dumping a sh*tload of money into the technology which will have a time span of several years tops, and which won't be supported by up to 75% of x86 GPUs (yeah, I count Intel too - since a lot of people buy laptops or desktops without discrete graphics) - ARM solutions will likely never support it at all.

System Name It does stuff
Processor Ryzen 3600
Motherboard B550 Gaming X V2
Cooling Stock
Memory 16GB DDR4 3600
Video Card(s) RX 6700XT
Storage Too much
Display(s) 27" & 21.5"
Case Antec 300
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar DGX / Sony MDR-XB500s
Power Supply Corsair 750W
Software Win10 64

A proprietary 3D rendering API just shouldn't exist - if, for instance, AMD bankrupts all those Mantle "powered" games won't run anywhere else ever again.

Even though Glide didn't have enough time to live, we still a whole lot of games you won't be able to run because Glide is not supported.

Mantle is not good news for anyone - even for AMD since they are dumping a sh*tload of money into the technology which will have a time span of several years tops, and which won't be supported by up to 75% of x86 GPUs (yeah, I count Intel too - since a lot of people buy laptops or desktops without discrete graphics) - ARM solutions will likely never support it at all.

In each case, isn't mantle only an option? It's not like old times where a game might ONLY run on Glide.

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / Sharkoon Rebel 9 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 / Windows 7

I really want to read your opinion about PhysX and CUDA.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro

Physx is pointless and obsolete. If they actually cared about immersion, they would take their Physx, utilise it along with their water particle technology, and then every game would have amazingly realistic water effects. Then they'd need to make it open to everyone (which they won't because NVidia are scum).
CUDA has genuine uses outside of gaming though, universities love CUDA.

Damn fanatic :toast:
XBO/PS4/WiiU and GCN cards are enough for Mantle to avoid Glide's fate. And thanks to Mantle, there won't be shitty ported games anymore, win-win for everyone :toast:
Oh wait, maybe green camp will still suffer poor optimized ported games just like at this moment. Not really a big deal. You have a GCN card? Best optimization. Don't have? Still acceptable. For example, GTA4 was a big hit on PC despite of how bad it was ported. People can live with that level of optimization :cool:

Processor 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Auros Elite AX
Cooling Custom Water
Memory GSKILL 2x16gb 6000mhz Cas 30 with custom timings
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6750 XT MECH 2X 12G OC
Storage Adata SX8200 1tb with Windows, Samsung 990 Pro 2tb with games
Display(s) HP Omen 27q QHD 165hz
Case ThermalTake P3
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex Titanium
Software Windows 11 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores CB23: 1811 / 19424 CB24: 1136 / 7687
I'd be more likely to notice if they'd won over the Unreal Engine or even the Crytek Engine.
Cloud Imperium games, or more specifically star citizen, uses cryengine.

Indeed, Crytek's R&D technical director, Michael Glueck, said 'yes, that would appeal to us

Crytech has not come out saying they will fully support mantle but they definitely are not ignoring it.

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w

One day when Microsoft goes bankrupt and we can no longer play DX based games, is that grounds to ban DX?

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard B550 Aorus PRO V2
Cooling Corsair H115i RGB Platinum
Memory Gskill Trident Z Neo 3600 2x16GB
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3070 Trio X
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB NVME/Supertalent Teranova 2x1TB
Display(s) Acer XV340CK
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Logitech G513 Tactile
Software Windows 10 Pro
Damn fanatic :toast:
XBO/PS4/WiiU and GCN cards are enough for Mantle to avoid Glide's fate. And thanks to Mantle, there won't be shitty ported games anymore, win-win for everyone :toast:
Oh wait, maybe green camp will still suffer poor optimized ported games just like at this moment. Not really a big deal. You have a GCN card? Best optimization. Don't have? Still acceptable. For example, GTA4 was a big hit on PC despite of how bad it was ported. People can live with that level of optimization :cool:

Both XBO and PS4 will not support mantle,XBO will be DX 11.2 and PS4 will be Open GL.

Both XBO and PS4 will not support mantle,XBO will be DX 11.2 and PS4 will be Open GL.
But their hardware belong to AMD, that is the point. With the similarity of hardware, Mantle allows a code written for PS4/XBO be recycled on PC and vice versa, and that reduces a lot of workload for developers. Fewer workload for them and better optimization for us, who can ask for more?

System Name [WIP]
Processor Intel Pentium G3420 [i7-4790K SOON(tm)]
Motherboard MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming
Cooling [Corsair H100i]
Memory G.Skill TridentX 2x8GB-2400-CL10 DDR3
Video Card(s) [MSI AMD Radeon R9-290 Gaming]
Storage Seagate 2TB Desktop SSHD / [Samsung 256GB 840 PRO]
Display(s) [BenQ XL2420Z]
Case [Corsair Obsidian 750D]
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Software Windows 8.1 x64 Pro / Linux Mint 15 / SteamOS
Physx is pointless and obsolete. If they actually cared about immersion, they would take their Physx, utilise it along with their water particle technology, and then every game would have amazingly realistic water effects. Then they'd need to make it open to everyone (which they won't because NVidia are scum).

Yeah, and that way, nVidia would have their logo on a lot more titles... instead of having it there just because they bullied/payed dev X and Y to use it and (ofc, optimize it for their hardware, in the process that they (nVidia) also get backlash for such things...).

Either way, Mantle isn't a lock for being proprietary... so hold on to your guns just yet.

One day when Microsoft goes bankrupt and we can no longer play DX based games, is that grounds to ban DX?

Exactly, killer point.

Either way, PC gamers are spoiled into being able to play whatever they desire, no matter how old it is (or proprietary)... Try playing some obscure SNES game on Wii U... or a hidden gem from PSX era, on PS4... yeah, you get the point.

Any willingness support from the software is a win win, whether it's AMD or NV, ultimately us, the customers. Hardware is nothing if software can not utilized <-- Microsoft, do you hear that? :banghead:

Here how I looked at it. If it free! Hell, yes! Please...

If it not... putted on the table and see what it can do, than justified it... BTW: that's how we'd been advancing through the years. And if it is just another Glide, PhysicX, Cuda... or whatever, give me a called... I had my butcher knife sharped and safe. Until than, let it shines to it full potential. Same thing with GSync... Errr.. My butcher knife is not safe at this point. :pimp:

We are living in the USA, right? ... Right?! :toast:

Sagia86

Well, first i assumed you are not games developer and maybe you didn't that around 500+ games using physx. Also, physx CAN RUN on CPU, only certain effect will need GPU assisted, well, even then developer can decide to run it on CPU or GPU.

But their hardware belong to AMD, that is the point. With the similarity of hardware, Mantle allows a code written for PS4/XBO be recycled on PC and vice versa, and that reduces a lot of workload for developers. Fewer workload for them and better optimization for us, who can ask for more?

First, you need to know that each api have there own code/call/etc which are different from each other. Even porting Xbox One games to PS4 will take sometime. For mantle thought, we still didn't know much about it

Last edited:
Cloud Imperium games, or more specifically star citizen, uses cryengine.

Crytech has not come out saying they will fully support mantle but they definitely are not ignoring it.

Tim Sweeney's not ignoring it either. He's outright hostile to it. Since the majority of games use Unreal Engine (or Unity), what does that say to you? ;)

I suspect Crytek will come out in favor of Mantle, though. I say this based on the fact that Crytek is closely tied to EA still, Crytek had a deal with AMD for Crysis 3 (moving from nVidia for Crysis 1 and 2 and Far Cry before that), and didn't Crytek help build the Ruby demo for AMD?

So yeah. I suspect Crytek will have had the work done for them by AMD and so it will be done. That, I would be impressed by, as I said.

I guess my point is that the "news" here wasn't really news at all. It makes Mantle look like they're just scraping up support rather than being definitive and strong. This isn't AMD bringing together three of the engine geniuses together in one room to talk about how great their tech is.

This is just them throwing a bunch of maybe's in one press release. Lest we forget, Star Citizen has made a lot of money, but it ain't even close to a real game yet. Meanwhile, Thief 4 is getting nothing but "eeesh" vibes since the articles discussing how horribly it was coming together a few months back. I'm not sure if that game's going to be one to be crowing about. And Oxide... who?

I guess my point is that the "news" here wasn't really news at all. It makes Mantle look like they're just scraping up support rather than being definitive and strong. This isn't AMD bringing together three of the engine geniuses together in one room to talk about how great their tech is.

This is just them throwing a bunch of maybe's in one press release. Lest we forget, Star Citizen has made a lot of money, but it ain't even close to a real game yet. Meanwhile, Thief 4 is getting nothing but "eeesh" vibes since the articles discussing how horribly it was coming together a few months back. I'm not sure if that game's going to be one to be crowing about. And Oxide... who?

Its pretty obvious Devs are waiting for performance numbers before they commit. If i was going to choose an engine for my game, guess which one am likely to choose since Mantle will be faster than any API out there? :respect:

Game Engines that do not support Mantle will slowly die off, so they either join or get left behind. :roll:

Edit: InB4 anyone says more work, since its actually less overhead

Last edited:

Problem is nobody ever says that when people are recommended cards, Cuda and PhysX is actually painted as a plus. We now also have G-Sync and shadow :shadedshu

Processor 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Auros Elite AX
Cooling Custom Water
Memory GSKILL 2x16gb 6000mhz Cas 30 with custom timings
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6750 XT MECH 2X 12G OC
Storage Adata SX8200 1tb with Windows, Samsung 990 Pro 2tb with games
Display(s) HP Omen 27q QHD 165hz
Case ThermalTake P3
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex Titanium
Software Windows 11 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores CB23: 1811 / 19424 CB24: 1136 / 7687
Lest we forget, Star Citizen has made a lot of money, but it ain't even close to a real game yet.

Star citizen is an alpha. I don't expect a real game yet. It is expected out 2015. Mantle is new. If mantle even gets its foot in the door it will be a few years before anything becomes common, maybe by 2015.

I am not saying I support mantle. I just dislike some of the things you are using to make points.

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit

AMD has already said Mantle is not being used on the consoles. Its strictly for PCs.

Tim Sweeney's not ignoring it either. He's outright hostile to it. Since the majority of games use Unreal Engine (or Unity), what does that say to you? ;)

I suspect Crytek will come out in favor of Mantle, though. I say this based on the fact that Crytek is closely tied to EA still, Crytek had a deal with AMD for Crysis 3 (moving from nVidia for Crysis 1 and 2 and Far Cry before that), and didn't Crytek help build the Ruby demo for AMD?

So yeah. I suspect Crytek will have had the work done for them by AMD and so it will be done. That, I would be impressed by, as I said.

Oh, we have an Nvidia troll from techreport here! Tim Sweeny, in an Nivida conference, will not tell you that using Mantle, you can write code that runs on both the two new consoles and half the PC with very little to no modification of the code. It makes developing cross-platform games a breeze, and everyone benefits from this except for Nvidia, and in a way Microsoft that loves exclusives, as they call them on their XBOX.

Correction: The majority of crappy games today use UT3 and the majority of the upcoming crappy games will be using UT4.

We have major game studios endorsing Mantle. So we're going to have over half the big engines developed today supporting Mantle.

Processor AMD Phenom II X4 955BE
Motherboard Asus M4A785TD-V Evo
Cooling Xigmatek HDT S1283
Memory 4GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3
Video Card(s) GigaByte Radeon HD3870 512MB GDDR4
Storage WD Caviar Black 640GB, Hitachi Deskstar T7K250 250GB
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster F2380M
Audio Device(s) Creative Audigy ES 5.1
Power Supply Corsair VX550
Software Microsoft Windows 7 Professional x64

I think Mantle is the best option (for you, if you're using AMD). And there should be a nVidia and an Intel API along with Mantle for the best experience for the user (for you).

Last edited: