• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Announces "Thunderbolt ready" Upgrade Program for Motherboards, PCs

Do you have a use for Thunderbolt?

• Yes, already using it

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Yes

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • No

Votes: 25 86.2%

• Total voters
The past year has seen a flurry of Thunderbolt related activity. Already present on every current Apple Mac, Thunderbolt has continued to grow within PC circles. And the Thunderbolt ecosystem responded, with over 100 Thunderbolt devices now shipping and available, most certified for both Mac and PC. Thunderbolt makes new experiences possible and developers are seeking to take advantage of Thunderbolt's key benefits, including simultaneous data and display transfer, with speeds of up to 10 Gbps, and daisy-chain connectivity of up to six devices. Building upon that foundation, the first Thunderbolt 2 systems were introduced in October this year, with speeds up to 20 Gbps, and support for the DisplayPort 1.2 protocol. Thunderbolt is clearly the fastest, most versatile connection to your PC.

Now we have a new announcement for you - an exciting new program to quickly expand the footprint of Thunderbolt for desktop and workstation users. This new initiative is called "Thunderbolt ready", and it enables PC manufacturers to offer Thunderbolt upgradeable motherboards within desktop and workstation computers. By using a Thunderbolt card, Thunderbolt's blazing fast speed and uncompressed video capabilities can now be added to any motherboard that includes a GPIO header (general purpose input/output header), so even if your system doesn't have Thunderbolt it is now possible to "upgrade" to it. Users that are interested in adding Thunderbolt 2 technology to an existing Thunderbolt ready system can combine a Thunderbolt card with a growing number of enabled motherboards, all identified by the use of the "Thunderbolt ready" moniker. The Thunderbolt ready program makes it simple to identify which components work together to upgrade your PC with Thunderbolt 2 capability.

The addition of a Thunderbolt ready card to a PC is a simple and straight forward process. All a user needs to do is connect the Thunderbolt card into the designated PCIe slot, connect a cable to the GPIO header, and utilize an available DP (DisplayPort) out connector from the motherboard processor graphics, or an external graphics card, depending on the system. And since a Thunderbolt card comes with all the necessary cables, software, and instructions, upgrading is a breeze.

The benefits of the Thunderbolt ready program are plain to see. If a user has a system with an existing Thunderbolt ready motherboard, all they will need to do is purchase the Thunderbolt card and follow the simple instructions for installation. For those looking to build a new system, the only requirement is to make sure both the Thunderbolt card and motherboard are Thunderbolt ready. Finally, for custom desktop resellers interested in expanding Thunderbolt within their available product mix, the number of potential motherboards that can be offered will increase dramatically.

The initial participant in the Thunderbolt ready program is ASUS, and they have developed the first Thunderbolt card, the ASUS ThunderboltEX II, to go along with the first Thunderbolt ready motherboard, the ASUS Z87 Pro. The ThunderboltEX II is based on Thunderbolt 2 technology, and will be available in December 2013. ASUS is also planning for additional motherboards to be certified within the Thunderbolt ready program in 2014.

"ASUS ThunderboltEX II is the first expansion card certified by Intel as a Thunderbolt 2 upgrade solution - and it gives users a simple, fast and flexible option to upgrade their existing hardware whenever they want," said Joe Hsieh, ASUS Corporate Vice President and General Manager of Motherboard and Desktop System Business Unit. "ASUS worked closely with Intel to ensure the best compatibility, quality and performance across ASUS 8-series Thunderbolt 2-ready motherboards."

Other OEMs are following suit, and a growing number of Thunderbolt ready cards, motherboards, desktops, and workstations will become available in 2014.

Since the beginning, "Is there an add-in card for this?" has been one of the more popular questions asked of Thunderbolt. Today, the answer is an enthusiastic "yes", and the introduction of the Thunderbolt ready program will dramatically increase the availability of Thunderbolt technology, bringing 20 Gbps bandwidth, data and display over a single cable, and daisy-chain connectivity of up to six devices, to a far larger range of users in the marketplace.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w
Fastest, most versatile, refuses to support external GPU. Thunderbolt can crash and burn for all I care.

Processor 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Auros Elite AX
Cooling Custom Water
Memory GSKILL 2x16gb 6000mhz Cas 30 with custom timings
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6750 XT MECH 2X 12G OC
Storage Adata SX8200 1tb with Windows, Samsung 990 Pro 2tb with games
Display(s) HP Omen 27q QHD 165hz
Case ThermalTake P3
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex Titanium
Software Windows 11 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores CB23: 1811 / 19424 CB24: 1136 / 7687
I can see possible use for it for professionals. What about us enthusiasts though. We usually are early adopters of new technology and I personally don't have any desire for thunderbolt.

System Name Off-Brand PC System
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard X399
Cooling Wraithripper
Video Card(s) Vega 64
Benchmark Scores Less than Intel and Nvidia
Thunderbolt 2 needs to take off on the mobile market much more than desktop. :banghead:

System Name my box
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi x470 Ultimate
Cooling NZXT Kraken x72
Memory 2×16GiB @ 3200MHz, some Corsair RGB led meme crap
Video Card(s) AMD [ASUS ROG STRIX] Radeon RX Vega64 [OC Edition]
Storage Samsung 970 Pro && 2× Seagate IronWolf Pro 4TB in Raid 1
Display(s) Asus VG278H + Asus VH226H
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black TG
Audio Device(s) Using optical S/PDIF output lol
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i
Mouse Razer Naga Epic
Keyboard Keychron Q1
Software Funtoo Linux
Benchmark Scores 217634.24 BogoMIPS

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Thunderbolt 2 needs to take off on the mobile market much more than desktop. :banghead:

Thunderbolt 2 is quite possibly the worst thing intels made in years , broke from the start and clearly so expensive to add to a motherboard that Oems are not going to bother instead offering an add in card they can then double tap your wallet with , totally lame .

Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Coolermaster Master Liquid ML240L RGB
Memory 64GB DDR4 3200 (4x16GB)
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Display(s) Asus VE276Q, VE278Q and VK278Q triple 27” 1920x1080
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic 650W
VR HMD Oculus Rift, Oculus Quest V1, Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 64bit
Perhaps people are forgetting that Asus made similar claims about the original proprietary Asus ThunderBoltEX PCIe add in card,...which never made it to market due to Intel's refusal to certify it. This was likely due to circumventing Intel video in the implementation which (would have) made Thunderbolt possible on even proprietary Asus AMD motherboards. We have little to no reason to think this iteration will make it to market either.

The thing that confusing though is that Apple's new Mac Pro seems to have Thunderbolt II on a Xeon Ivy Bridge-E based system that probably doesn't have Intel video,....

I have heard that Intel was working on their own version of an add in card which required motherboards be compliant though so I guess this is it.

I am interested personally. Although IMO Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt 2 is best suited and most needed by closed systems (mostly mobile) that have little to no expansion options otherwise. Desktop systems don't need anything like Thunderbolt for the most part because they already have easily accessible expansion via PCIe ports.

Still IMO Asus needs to make good on their original Thunderbolt ready "TB_Header" motherboards and ThunderbboltEX card promises.

People who don't want Thunderbolt / Thunderbolt 2 support need not worry about it though because chances are their motherboard doesn't support it anyway. If they ever get a Thunderbolt /2 ready motherboard (possibly due to standard GPIO proliferation) they need never implement it with an add in card. No big deal.

It sounds like they are allowing the use of external graphics in some way:

All a user needs to do is connect the Thunderbolt card into the designated PCIe slot, connect a cable to the GPIO header, and utilize an available DP (DisplayPort) out connector from the motherboard processor graphics, or an external graphics card, depending on the system.

but I believe all versions of Thunderbolt allowed this in some way or another if I am not mistaken.

System Name Not named
Processor Intel 8700k @ 5Ghz
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Assassin II
Memory 16GB DDR4 Corsair LPX 3000mhz CL15
Video Card(s) Zotac 1080 Ti AMP EXTREME
Storage Samsung 960 PRO 512GB
Display(s) 24" Dell IPS 1920x1200
Case Fractal Design R5
Power Supply Corsair AX760 Watt Fully Modular
Thunderbolt came on my new laptop. No complaints at all.

Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board
Thunderbolt came on my new laptop. No complaints at all.

Right and as I was saying Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt 2 make a lot of sense on closed systems that have little to no expansion options open to them except for Thunderbolt. Its not a bad thing to have it on a desktop system but its just not necessary.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Thunderbolt 2 is quite possibly the worst thing intels made in years , broke from the start and clearly so expensive to add to a motherboard that Oems are not going to bother instead offering an add in card they can then double tap your wallet with , totally lame .

The cost seems to be the major downside. Massive potential for universal laptop docking stations, but there are almost none to be had.

The picture in the article makes zero sense.

No it makes negative sense - who in the right mind would short circuit thunderbolt and USB ports? Such a configuration will probably not boot at all. :laugh:

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
At work I was able to image a Macbook Air using Thunderbolt in 4 minutes for a 16Gb compressed image. 2 minutes to write, 2 minutes to verify. You can't say that isn't awesome.

Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board
I think some people don't quite get some of the issues with Thunderbolt deployment. While its true that Thunderbolt hasn't been widely adopted on the PC (yet has a presence on the Mac) its not a simple matter of tried and failed.

The reality is that Intel has done quite a few things to impede / retard adoption / deployment of Thunderbolt. In other words Intel has gotten in their own way and they have done so from day one when it comes to Thunderbolt,....and they are still doing it,....

Its probably more an issue of mismanagement then anything else.

Thunderbolt is really just the PCIe BUS and DisplayPort both of which have been readily adopted by the industry for years now.

I remember when I bought my P8Z77-V, Asus was "the first of many" companies going to offer an upgrade card to Thunderbolt for a lot of boards.

They were the only company to ever end up fielding such a board and it was not very available. Not ever.

This is another desperate move on Intel's part to keep Thunderbolt from its destiny of being the next Firewire.

Too late, though. It already is. The first warning sign should have been when they used Apple to field the standard for a year.

D

Deleted member 24505

My board has a header on it for this. Depending on price, I would not mind trying it.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
My board has a header on it for this. Depending on price, I would not mind trying it.

http://img.techpowerup.org/131115/tb.jpg

a heck of a lot of motherboards will have a gpio header, but im getting the vibe you need the sticker on the box still advising compatibility(they dont want amd chipsets running it:rolleyes:).

probably so intel can charge a bit more for that chipset with an L at the end of its name, then obviously you have to do the hard work of fitting an add in card which has the Tbolt chip on it plus some balls and pointless cicuitry to run it and even more pointless shroude-idge all because there end to end cable price is off the chart funny and no one bar apple has really bought into it yet, what a surprise.
Hate to say it but heck its true Amd's lighning port(i think thats what its called) kicks its ass in Every metric especially price (to Oem and to us).as is usb3+ imho

System Name DEVIL'S ABYSS
Processor i7-4790K@4.6 GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97-Deluxe
Cooling Corsair H110 (2 x 140mm)(3 x 140mm case fans)
Memory 16GB Adata XPG V2 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 780 Ti Classified
Storage Intel 750 Series 400GB (AIC), Plextor M6e 256GB (M.2), 13 TB storage
Display(s) Crossover 27QW (27"@ 2560x1440)
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803
Benchmark Scores Passmark CPU score = 13080
Perhaps people are forgetting that Asus made similar claims about the original proprietary Asus ThunderBoltEX PCIe add in card,...which never made it to market due to Intel's refusal to certify it. This was likely due to circumventing Intel video in the implementation which (would have) made Thunderbolt possible on even proprietary Asus AMD motherboards. We have little to no reason to think this iteration will make it to market either.
Still IMO Asus needs to make good on their original Thunderbolt ready "TB_Header" motherboards and ThunderbboltEX card promises.
but I believe all versions of Thunderbolt allowed this in some way or another if I am not mistaken.

Good point - my P8Z77-V has the useless TB_Header, and even if the promised hardware had been available, I wouldn't have spent money on it.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
The picture in the article makes zero sense.

No it makes negative sense - who in the right mind would short circuit thunderbolt and USB ports? Such a configuration will probably not boot at all. :laugh:

The picture is connecting the TB card to the GPIO header. The USB 2.0 headers are farther to the right.

System Name Game Raver
Processor Core i7-770K
Motherboard ASRock Z170A-X1
Cooling Coolermaster AIO
Memory 16gb
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage 1TB Crucial SSD. 4TB Seagate HDD
Display(s) AOC 1080p 144Hz
Case NZXT Phantom 410 /w/ Silverstone FN121P-BL fans
Audio Device(s) ASUS Essence STX
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Thunderbolt should be a technology for only servers and possibly workstations. Such setups rely on such data transfer speeds.

System Name my box
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi x470 Ultimate
Cooling NZXT Kraken x72
Memory 2×16GiB @ 3200MHz, some Corsair RGB led meme crap
Video Card(s) AMD [ASUS ROG STRIX] Radeon RX Vega64 [OC Edition]
Storage Samsung 970 Pro && 2× Seagate IronWolf Pro 4TB in Raid 1
Display(s) Asus VG278H + Asus VH226H
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black TG
Audio Device(s) Using optical S/PDIF output lol
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i
Mouse Razer Naga Epic
Keyboard Keychron Q1
Software Funtoo Linux
Benchmark Scores 217634.24 BogoMIPS
Except there are better and most importantly - much cheaper methods. So it is not very useful there, I'd say.

Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board

http://img.techpowerup.org/131115/tb.jpg

A lot of Asus Z77 series motherboards have the Thunderbolt "TB_Header" and to be honest the ASUS Z87 Pro board pictured above seems to have an identical "TB_Header". However, I wouldn't simply assume that older Z77 boards with their never released ThunderboltEX solution are fully compatable with the Intel GPIO compliant Z87 Pro and its newer generations ilk.

Presumably something has changed and it might not just be the ThunderboltEX II card itself. So people may need a new Haswell Z87 ASUS Complaint motherboard with a new ThunderboltEX card for this to work,.....maybe. With any luck older ASUS Z77 motherboards will be supported but that's a wait and see proposition.

What motherboard do you have?

For what its worth, I believe the older ThunderboltEX card was cited as being on the order of ~$45 USD.

D

Deleted member 24505

A lot of Asus Z77 series motherboards have the Thunderbolt "TB_Header" and to be honest the ASUS Z87 Pro board pictured above seems to have an identical "TB_Header". However, I wouldn't simply assume that older Z77 boards with their never released ThunderboltEX solution are fully compatable with the Intel GPIO compliant Z87 Pro and its newer generations ilk.

Presumably something has changed and it might not just be the ThunderboltEX II card itself. So people may need a new Haswell Z87 ASUS Complaint motherboard with a new ThunderboltEX card for this to work,.....maybe. With any luck older ASUS Z77 motherboards will be supported but that's a wait and see proposition.

What motherboard do you have?

For what its worth, I believe the older ThunderboltEX card was cited as being on the order of ~$45 USD.

Asus maximus V gene

DS

System Name Dino.Basic
Processor Pentium 4 Northwood 2.8hz
Motherboard Asus P4B533-V
Cooling Stock
Memory 1.2GB DDR 333
Video Card(s) Nvidia FX5500
Storage 40GB Seagate
Display(s) Dell
Case Boka
Audio Device(s) C-Media
Power Supply Generic
Software Windows XP SP3
Thunderbolt should be a technology for only servers and possibly workstations. Such setups rely on such data transfer speeds.

yes, we use thunderbolt on our workstations for video editing :rockout:

Processor Intel i7 4790K
Motherboard Asus Z97 Deluxe
Cooling Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120
Memory Corsair Dominator 1866Mhz 4X4GB
Video Card(s) Asus R290X
Storage Samsung 850 Pro SSD 256GB/Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1TB
Display(s) Samsung S23A950D
Case Corsair 850D
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek
Power Supply Corsair AX850
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Windows 10 x64
I have thunderbolt on my Z87 deluxe dual, but I haven't used it yet because I have no TB devices. I cant even install the drivers until I have a TB device connected.

I think it has a future but like everything, when its cheaper companies will start to use it more.