• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help computer Windows XP freezing, can I get rid of virus manually without any software?

kjm233

Hi all

I have multiple computers but my old desktop which I use for the kids and to print/scan etc is running Windows XP. I turned it off the other day (which I don't do, generally because it is slow to boot I just leave it running) before we went away for a few days and when I came home first it would not turn on at all, then I found a sneaky button that when pushed does get it to boot and it gets to the desktop and is fine for a few minutes then the screen gets what looks like blurry vertical barcodes all over it and it won't do anything.

I have looked at the startup items and can see there seems to be a virus, I have disabled this on startup which makes things work for a few more minutes but then it freezes again. I have Malwarebytes and Avast, I did a quick scan on Malwarebytes but that didn't find anything and when I try to run Avast it freezes straight away.

Is there a way I can somehow get rid of this virus manually without using Avast or any other software?
Or does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks a lot

first of all I would check that your video card is not overheating due to dust and/or damaged fan....

then, if there is really a virus, there is no reason to no use antivirus software, or...? why do you want to clean it manually?

It would also be informative to tell us what item you disabled in startup that you call a virus.

System Name not very good (wants throwing out window most of time)
Processor xp3000@ 2.17ghz pile of sh** /i7 920 DO on air for now
Motherboard msi kt6 delta oap /gigabyte x58 ud7 (rev1.0)
Cooling 1 green akasa 8cm(rear) 1 multicoloured akasa(hd) 1 12 cm (intake) 1 9cm with circuit from old psu
Memory 1.25 gb kingston hyperx @333mhz/ 3gb corsair dominator xmp 1600mhz
Video Card(s) (agp) hd3850 not bad not really suitable for mobo n processor/ gb hd5870
Storage wd 320gb + samsung 320 gig + wd 1tb 6gb/s
Display(s) compaq mv720
Case thermaltake XaserIII skull / coolermaster cm 690II
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply corsair hx 650 w which solved many problems (blew up) /850w corsair
Software xp pro sp3/ ? win 7 ultimate (32 bit)
Benchmark Scores 6543 3d mark05 ye ye not good but look at the processor /uknown as still not benched
have you tried starting in safe mode? if you can i would download kaspersky's free 1 month trial antivirus
then run that in safe mode

kjm233

have you tried starting in safe mode? if you can i would download kaspersky's free 1 month trial antivirus
then run that in safe mode

It wasn't starting in safe mode before it would just freeze with a blank screen but I have managed to get it to work just now so will try that and see how I get on, thanks

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
Don't even try to fix it. Unless its dust or something. Just format. Reinstall. This will tell you if it truly a virus and not the board itself. If you don't want to wipe the drive for some reason then plug in another drive. Install Linux

kjm233

Don't even try to fix it. Unless its dust or something. Just format. Reinstall. This will tell you if it truly a virus and not the board itself. If you don't want to wipe the drive for some reason then plug in another drive. Install Linux
I don't have another drive available to do that and don't really want to buy anything as the computer is pretty old, I just want to try and get it working so the kids can keep using it.

Starting in safe mode and trying to run virus scanner didn't work either, it started scanning but has now frozen again and the scan has paused, any other suggestions out there?

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
What are we working on here? Did you check for dust and overheating?

If its malware your most likely not going to be able to get rid if it. At least without a format

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
I have looked at the startup items and can see there seems to be a virus

What leads you to believe there is a virus as you seem to be describing a hardware failure with the rest of your post. As others have said check for overheating of your components. GPU-Z found here: http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2317/techpowerup-gpu-z-v0-7-5/ should give you temperature information about your video card. If the temps are high you will most likely need to clean up your video card of dust, replace the thermal paste, etc.

well... i remove viruses semi manually... but that's just me, i know what i'm doing & hunt for the kill

recently i traced something that hooked into explorer that makes lots of connections while filling up the ram, probably a spam or ddos botmet, but most people wouldnt know how to figure out how to find it

but vertical bars sounds like hardware is failing, even if there actually was a virus (since kids use it)

kjm233

first of all I would check that your video card is not overheating due to dust and/or damaged fan....

then, if there is really a virus, there is no reason to no use antivirus software, or...? why do you want to clean it manually?

It would also be informative to tell us what item you disabled in startup that you call a virus.
It's not cooperating at all now so I can get the exact name of the virus but I'm pretty sure it was a virus as it was called daemon something and is from an add on (that someone in my house installed while trying to do something else!) that gave me other viruses that I did get rid of before the problems began.

I can't run the av scanner as the computer freezes everytime when it gets to about 14%.

I don't know much about the hardware side of things at all but I have taken another old computer apart before so will start by doing that and checking for dust etc, that seems to be the general consensus of what I should do first, yes? Any tips about other things I should look for other than the obvious dust and dirt?

Thanks a lot to everyone for your replies, this forum is fantastic!

is it daemon tools? that's not a virus... unless it's a poor attempt at finding the cracked pro edition where someone else put the virus in it on purpose

System Name It's just a computer
Processor i9-14900K Direct Die
Motherboard MSI Z790 ACE MAX
Cooling Dual D5T Vario, XSPC BayRes, Nemesis GTR560, NF-A14-iPPC3000PWM, NF-A14-iPPC2000, HK IV Pro Nickel
Memory G.SKILL F5-7200J3646F24GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) eVGA RTX2080 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 990 PRO 1TB M.2
Display(s) LG 32GK650F
Case Thermaltake Xaser VI
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Meridian 7.1 2G/Z-5500
Power Supply Seasonic Prime PX-1300
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Logitech
Software Win11PRO
OP,

Do you have another PC you can slave that HDD into and run your AV scan from?

Processor Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard ASUS Prime X470 Pro
Cooling Arctic liquid freezer II 240
Memory 2 x 16 Gb Gskill Trident Z 3600 Mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3060 Ti OC
Storage Samsung 960 EVO 500 Gb / 860 EVO 1 Tb
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Case Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G703
Keyboard Logitech G513
Software Win 11
then the screen gets what looks like blurry vertical barcodes all over it and it won't do anything.

Sounds like the integrated graphics is dying which is quite common on older boards and produces symptoms exactly like what you are describing.
I have never seen a virus that causes video hardware to malfunction as you are describing.

kjm233

OP,

Do you have another PC you can slave that HDD into and run your AV scan from?
I have a laptop, excuse the ignorance but can I do it using that? And if so, what do I need to do that? I've taken my PC apart and cleaned the dust which was not very bad at all, I did take the RAM out and put it back in. Now when I start the computer it makes one beep to start with then probably about 30 seconds later it beeps twice, which I have looked in to and it seems the general answer is "parity cannot be reset" or otherwise "Catastrophic RAM failure", is this relevant if I take into account the first beep?

My last PC died a fairly similar death and I had someone come and look at it but even they didn't know what was the problem, the power supply was what they thought in the end, I always seem to have the "tricky" problems.

The fact is, at this stage my PC isn't going but I am more than happy to play around with things and try different stuff, I just don't know a great deal about it, so if anyone has any ideas I am more than willing to try them.

System Name Rainbow
Processor Intel Core i7 8700k
Motherboard MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC
Cooling Corsair H115i, 2x Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-3000 PWM
Memory G. Skill TridentZ RGB 4x8GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GeForce RTX 3090 Trinity
Storage 2x Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | 2xHGST Deskstar 4TB 7.2K
Display(s) Samsung C27HG70
Case Xigmatek Aquila
Power Supply Seasonic 760W SS-760XP
Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K95
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 4 trillion points in GmailMark, over 144 FPS 2K Facebook Scrolling (Extreme Quality preset)
If the computer didn't make those series of beeps before, it's likely that the RAM wasn't seated properly when you put it back in. I'd suggest checking and making sure you didn't get it backwards and/or that the RAM is seated all the way down. The two arms that hold the memory in should click up and latch on to the memory on their own as you push down. Make sure to pull the power cord and press the power button a few times before you start touching hardware too. That should drain the capacitors in the computer and make it safe to work on.

The beep code you hear is the BIOS's POST results, which stands for Power On Self-Test. Viruses typically can't get down this far in to the hardware, so anything here is likely a hardware failure.

What you're describing does sound quite a lot like a hardware problem rather than a virus, although there could be viruses on it as well. Artifacts and/or freezing is typically due to either a heat related issue or an electrical malfunction of a device. Assuming the issue is just the video card failing, I'd suggest looking for a PC recycler that could sell you a video card for cheap. Either take a picture of the motherboard or bring the computer in. You'll likely have an AGP or, at least, a PCI (not PCI-e) slot as an option to upgrade. If the video card is integrated in to the motherboard, you might need to disable it in the system's BIOS. They should be able to do the work for you for fairly cheap too, if you'd rather not do it yourself.

Worse case scenario, those PC recyclers should have some inexpensive Pentium 4 and/or Athlon XP machines to replace your potential paperweight.

You wouldn't happen to know the make and model of the computer, would you?

System Name CORSAIR
Processor AMD Phenom 1090T x6 @3.2
Motherboard Gigabyte Ga-78LMT-S2P
Cooling High efficiency dust cooling
Memory 8GB GSkill DDR3 1333
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon HD3870 512MB GDDR4 PCI-e toxic
Storage Seagate SV35.3 ST3250310SV 250GB SATAII(Windows 7 Pro x64), 320GB Samsung SATAII(Storage and SuSE)
Display(s) Dell 20" LCD, Dell 17" LCD
Power Supply Antec Cool Blue 650W Modular
Software Windows 7 Professional SP1, Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate
Just another to take: Download ultimate boot cd (search for ubcd on google) - download the iso and use windows 7 to burn the image to a cd-r (right click the iso file, open with windows disc burning)(if no windows 7 is availabel you can use any program that can burn bootable images to a cd-r ex:nero, roxio, there are some freebies on the web that work fine as well). put that in the problematic PC and reboot it, setting the pc to boot from cd instead of the hard disk. it will boot into a menu that allows alot of things - you will want to do this process 3 times.

first time: check the hard drive for bad sectors
from the ubcd menu select hard drive, then diagnosis, then scroll down to "seatools for dos" (there are two of these, the higher version is easiest to use as it provides a graphic interface, the lower version is text mode - either will work, your choice). You want to make sure the drive with windows installed is selected (if only one hard drive don't worry as its selected by default). then from the menu in the top of the screen choose to run a LONG TEST (don't bother with the short test, we are specifically looking for long test here). after this starts let it run all the way through - this will take a long time to finish. If you see any errors reported or the test fails, you can stop here as the drive is bad and needs to be replaced - you could try to clone it using some of the cloning tools on the UBCD (reboot into it again, select hard drive, cloning) but this will probably fail if there are alot of sector errors, you will most likely need to replace the hard drive and reinstall windows onto the new drive. If it passes, your hard drive is fine, move on to the second ubcd boot.

second time: check your memory for errors
from the ubcd menu select memory, then memtest86+. let this test run until it completes and reports 3 passes. If you have any errors in this test you will need to find the bad stick or sticks of ram (run memtest using indidual sticks and set the ones with errors aside). you should be able to pick up older ram fairly cheap on ebay or newegg - just hunt around. If there are no errors move on to the third ubcd boot.

Third time: check CPU/chipset
from the ubcd menu select CPU, then select one of the burn in tests. let it run until you feel comfortable all is well - these tests force the cpu to run intensive calculations constantly in an attempt to overheat it. if it overheats or has errors, you found your culprit - again you should be able to pick up a cpu cooler and cpu on ebay fairly cheap. if all is well, move on-

The last thing I would test would be your power supply (check this if any of the above are bad also - it may be the CAUSE of them going bad) - use a power supply tester to do this or try swapping the power supply with a known good power supply. If the issue goes away then If all is well, move on.

If all is well up to this point you definitely have a software issue. Not booting into safe mode means windows is pretty messed up. With windows XP you can boot from the windows xp install cd and when it boots up past everything it loads, there will be an listing for repair option under install windows. select this, it will boot up a dos prompt which wants you select the windows isntallation you want to work on - type the number next to it and hit enter. When it allows you to type again type "chkdsk /r" (without the quotes) and hit enter. This will take a while but let it finish - after its done see if you can boot into safe mode. if you can boot into safe mode with networking. download rkill.exe(google search it) malwarebytes from malwarebytes.org, but BEFORE you run either go to start > accessories > system tools > disk cleanup (this will take a while to load up). Check ALL the boxes in disk cleanup and hit ok (this will also take a while to finish). This deletes temp files etc viruses like to hide in. NOW run rkill.exe - this looks for and shuts down potential virus services a removal scan could keep you from removing if running. NOW install and run malwarebytes, performing a FULL scan. after you remove whatever it finds, allow it to reboot to finish removing. (VERY important to download these items before the disk cleanup, as browsing will create more temp files)

There is one last thing I would try before giving up on it if all this doesnt work to that point. There is a program called combofix http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/combofix/dl/12/ which is basically automated windows repair on steriods. Run it, allow everything it initially asks you permission to do, and let it do its thing - it's saved me many times when nothing else in the world seemed to work.

All of the tools listed above are either open source (free to use) or free for home use.

removing viruses without software tools is pretty tedious. You can boot safe mode, go to start > run > msconfig.exe THEN select diagnostic startup. reboot your pc, running msconfig again, going through the services and startup tabs enabling one item at a time and rebooting, repeating this process until you have your issue again (then you know its caused by the last thing you enabled - googling this will probably give you details on which files etc you need to delete). If you choose to go this route you will need to spend some $ - for coffee.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes!