• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

iBuyPower Announces SBX Steam Machine

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
There are very few instances where one product category can leap frog over to another and make a profound impact. Today, iBUYPOWER, together with Valve, is making one such leap. Introducing the iBUYPOWER SBX Steam machine, an ultra-simplified system designed to do one thing: entertain. Melding together the simplicity of a traditional game console, but harnessing power usually available to only high-end desktop PCs, iBUYPOWER is able to usher in both performance and content unheard of in the living room space.

Designed in Los Angeles, iBUYPOWER labored to create a highly tuned and optimized system that would deliver a sustainable 60 frames-per second gaming experience at true high-definition resolutions. Powered by multi-core processors in both AMD and Intel flavors and paired with the latest in graphics technology from AMD, customers will be able to jump a full generation ahead of the latest game consoles.

"What we really wanted to do was make an impact in the living room. We wanted to really show the world that the power of desktop gaming machine can be experienced in the living room in a totally seamless way," said Darren Su, Co-founder and VP of iBUYPOWER. "All preconceptions of what entertainment in the living room should and can be, are out the door."

Customers can expect an out-of-box experience unlike any other. Every iBUYPOWER SBX comes with a Steam Controller so customers can jump into the action immediately. All aspects of design and hardware are optimized for a gaming experience on Steam OS that sheds away legacy PC overhead. Make no mistake about it; this is not a PC.

iBUYPOWER's Steambox will be available later in 2014 and will ship with a Steam controller for $499 and will be available in matte black and white.

For more information, visit the product page.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Felix777
Processor Core i5-3570k@stock
Motherboard Biostar H61
Memory 8gb
Video Card(s) XFX RX 470
Storage WD 500GB BLK
Display(s) Acer p236h bd
Case Haf 912
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Rosewill CAPSTONE 450watt
Software Win 10 x64
um amd and intel versions....? same price point i'm wondering how they'll make performance equal. surely one with out perform the other somewhere and make the other a worse option.

System Name Tiger1-Workstation
Processor Intel XEON E3-1275V2 / E3-1230V3
Motherboard ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 / AsRock H87 Performance
Cooling Corsair H80i Watercooling
Memory 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400
Video Card(s) Inno3D GTX 780 Ti
Storage 2TB SSD(4X OCZ vertex 4 256GB LSI RAID0 + Crucial M550 1TB)
Display(s) 2x Dell U3011 30" IPS
Case Silverstone Raven 03
Audio Device(s) Xonar Essence STX--> Xonar Essence One --> SPL Auditor -->Hivi X6
Power Supply Corsair AX860i Platinum
Software Windows 8.1 Enterprise
The whole point is to create a console-like (constant) experience.. you pick one setup and stick with it. well, when you have million different versions of steam box, that kind of defeats the purpose.

If I wanted to customized my machine I'd build one myself, duh.

Last edited:
System Name Queen Bee
Processor 3570k @ 4.0GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte UD3 Z77
Cooling Water Loop by EK
Memory 8GB Corsair 1600 DDR3
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 Gaming WaterCooled
Storage 1x Western Digital 500GB Black 1x Intel 20GB 311 SSD
Display(s) BenQ XL2420G
Case CoolTek W2
Power Supply Corsair 650Watt
Software Windows 7 Pro
I'm impressed with the price but is that a starting price, and if so what for?

Seems like a better choice then a XBone that's for sure.

Processor Intel i7-10700k
Motherboard Gigabyte Aurorus Ultra z490
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming Trio X 3070 LHR
Display(s) ASUS MG278Q / AOC G2590FX
Case Corsair X4000 iCue
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM650x 650W Fully Modular
Software Windows 10
The whole point is to create a console-like (constant) experience.. you pick one setup and stick with it. well, when you have million different versions of steam box, that kind of defeats the purpose.

If I wanted to customized my machine I'd build one.

Not entirely. The point is to get a quality assembled gaming machine without paying $1000. The hardware is irrelevant, especially when it comes to Consoles. The idea here is that they can cut out Windows to avoid paying licensing fees and use Linux on mid-ranged hardware to offer console like performance with a near identical price. It's no longer gaming PC's are the $1000-2000 Alienware's which only enthusiasts with way too much money and way too little motivation are enticed, it's $500 for an acceptable gaming machine that you can use in your living room and anyone can snatch one up.

I'm impressed with the price but is that a starting price, and if so what for?
Seems like a better choice then a XBone that's for sure.

I saw a $650 model from another manufacturer that was basically "AMD CPU (I assume FX-6300) or Intel i5 Quad-Core ; AMD R9 270 / Nvidia GTX 760 ; 8GB DDR3 RAM ; 500GB Hard Drive" and I think that one might have been one of the "hybrids" that came with Windows and SteamOS. Not a terrible deal in all honesty.

System Name Kablamo
Processor Some Intel i5
Motherboard some gigabyte board
Cooling h80i
Memory samsung sticks that got a good review a few years back
Video Card(s) 6950 acting like a 6970
Storage some solid state ocz drives
Display(s) Samsung T260HD (1920 x 1200)
Case bitfenix microatx case
Audio Device(s) hyperx cloud II
Power Supply corsair 750 or similar
Mouse M65
Keyboard g510
Software win 10
I'm extremely excited about the fact that it floats. Handy.