• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD A-Series "Kaveri" Performs Better with Dual-Rank DIMMs: Report

System Name [H]arbringer
Processor 4x 61XX ES @3.5Ghz (48cores)
Motherboard SM GL
Cooling 3x xspc rx360, rx240, 4x DT G34 snipers, D5 pump.
Memory 16x gskill DDR3 1600 cas6 2gb
Video Card(s) blah bigadv folder no gfx needed
Storage 32GB Sammy SSD
Display(s) headless
Case Xigmatek Elysium (whats left of it)
Audio Device(s) yawn
Power Supply Antec 1200w HCP
Software Ubuntu 10.10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1780855 http://www.hwbot.org/submission/2158678 http://ww
If you would notice the charts specify SR/DR(Single rank/Double Rank)
2 Double rank outperform 2 single rank and 4 single rank.

I see that, still doesn't make sense. They also need to show 4x DR ... I will read more on their testing methods and the other ram attributes.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=rank+interleave

So what many of us know to do already is now what we should do..........

What ???

Sorry but i am IT personnel for 2 years, and i always know that Single RANK RAM is much better + stable + pricier + best option for servers, cause the data flow circuits only one lap instead of 2.

And another way of finding out single RANK, is looking at the spec for this term 1Rx8 (single rank, 8 chips so if its an 4 GB, each chip will be 512MB ), while Dual RANK will be 2Rx16 (16 chips with 256MB)

So sorry this report done by ComputerBase.de is load of bullocks, cause dual rank RAM are cheaper, and are preferred for desktop people, and most manufacturers use dual rank, the maximum single rank single DIMM currently is 4 GB, and bare in mind most 4 GB are dual RANK, you need to search really hard for Single RANK, also Single RANK RAM sticks to its stable non oc freq, so is will be DDR3 1333 1.5 9-9-9-24, cause you wont be able to find OC single rank more than 1600, trust me, and if you dont head to Kingston website, and to a detail reading on there DImms, they have great support and PDF file for each DIMM.

Congratulations on being IT personnel for 2 years. What kind of IT? Networking, security, database, user support, server hardware, server software, acquisitions, client hardware, client software, performance builds for your brother, total IT department for small companies, you read a PC mag in the crapper once?

+1 Thanks buddy, i stick with 2 stick 4 GB 1866MHz for now until have enough money for upgrade

Nope this is not this article means...

Imagine the memory module as a paper... 1 rank means only one side of the paper is printed... 2 ranks means both sides of the paper is printed... return to the RAM module.. 1 rank is where the actual memory chips are in one side only like a paper with one side printed... 2 ranks means the actual memory chips are on both sides of the module, like a paper with both sides printed... this mean in 1 rank modules you will see memory chips on one side.. the other side will have no memory chips... in 2 ranks both sides have memory chips...

What this article means, that with Kaveri, you will get more performance if you use a memory that has memory chips on both sides of it (2 ranks).. as some of them might have them in one side only while the other side is empty (1 rank)

System Name Prometheus
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
Cooling EKWB EK-240 AIO D-RGB
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4070Ti Ventus 3X OC 12GB
Storage WD Black SN850 1TB + 1 x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB
Display(s) DELL U4320Q 4K + Wacom Cintiq Pro 16 4K
Case Jonsbo A4 ver1.1 SFF
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum SFX
Mouse Logitech Pro Wireless
Keyboard Vortex Race 3 75% MX Brown
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Why do you even bother posting nonsense like this ? Dual rank modules use separate chip select si9gnals for each rank. This allows them to avoid contention for the memory bus (by driving these signals out of phase with one another), thereby allowing for (slightly) better performance.
Are you sure you're not confusing "single/double data rate" and "single/dual rank"? Increasing the number of ranks per channel (a way to increase density per channel) will always decrease the measured speed of that channel, since the rank selection operation is always an extra step in accessing a certain address. So in this case the performance should decrease (very slightly). Single rank populated channels can skip this extra step, therefor should be faster then dual+ rank populated channels. Memory controllers these days are very efficient, so the single rank vs. dual rank channels should not be in any measurable way faster or slower. There must be something wrong with the way they tested or with the test platform.

System Name [WIP]
Processor Intel Pentium G3420 [i7-4790K SOON(tm)]
Motherboard MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming
Cooling [Corsair H100i]
Memory G.Skill TridentX 2x8GB-2400-CL10 DDR3
Video Card(s) [MSI AMD Radeon R9-290 Gaming]
Storage Seagate 2TB Desktop SSHD / [Samsung 256GB 840 PRO]
Display(s) [BenQ XL2420Z]
Case [Corsair Obsidian 750D]
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Software Windows 8.1 x64 Pro / Linux Mint 15 / SteamOS
......yeah......next amd will announce that their apu's operate better /faster/longer/cooler when used with closed loop water coolers as opposed to the standard h.s.f.
And the award for the most ignorant and useless comment of the thread goes to...
This isn't Reddit either, FYI.

Anyway, I have 2x8GB sticks of DDR3-2400, I guess that pretty much means dual rank guaranteed (I can't really peek behind the headspreaders, they're pretty massive and all-over). Weird find, I don't know what to make of it, logically, this shouldn't happen, but as grndzro7 stated, they way Kaveri's IMC works is really something that (on x86 PCs at least) hasn't been done before... So I do expect oddities like these...

Edit: Here's a crazy idea... if it'd be possible to disable 1 rank from each channel, so essentially halving your memory... shouldn't one be able to test this in the best most optimum 1:1 fashion possible (well, almost, but I doublt there are many apps and games that woiuld "feel" the diference between say 8GB and 16GB of system RAM)? I'd do it myself if it was possible, but my rig is still waiting for some components.

Last edited:
System Name The Stone that the Builders Refused / iJayo
Processor R5 1600/ R7 3700X
Motherboard Asrock AB350 Pro4 / Asus Rog Strix B450-F gaming
Cooling Cryorig M9 / Noctua NH-D14
Memory G skill 16 Gigs ddr4 / 16 gigs PNY ddr4
Video Card(s) Nvdia GTX 660 / Nvidia RTX 2070 Super
Storage 120gig 840 evo, 120gig adata sp900 / 1tb Mushkin M.2 ssd 1 & 3 tb seagate hdd, 120 gig Hyper X ssd
Display(s) 42" Nec retail display monitor/ 34" Dell curved 165hz monitor
Case Pink Enermax Ostrog / Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass edition
Audio Device(s) Altec Lansing Expressionist Bass/ M-Audio monitors
Power Supply Corsair450 / Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 650
Mouse corsair vengence M65 / Zalman Knossos
Keyboard corsair k95 / Roccat Vulcan 121
Software Window 10 pro / Windows 10 pro
Benchmark Scores meh... feel me on the battle field!
And the award for the most ignorant and useless comment of the thread goes to...
This isn't Reddit either, FYI.

....naaahhhh.......I said i'd behave myself ....and your not worth it....next time bro