• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS Chromebox Announced, Starts at $179

ASUS today announced the Chromebox. ASUS Chromebox is a stylish and compact device thoughtfully designed to simplify home, classroom or office computing. It is easy to set up right out of the box, and starts up in seconds to give users quick access to their favorite applications, games and websites. It provides integrated virus and malware protection and automatically updates itself for a safe hassle-free user experience.

"The ASUS Chromebox offers the simplicity, security and speed of Chrome OS in the most compact and powerful Chrome device to date," said Felix Lin, director of product management, Google. "Perfect for home, the classroom or the office, Chromebox is designed for the way we use computers today."

Simplified computing for everyone
ASUS Chromebox provides a gateway to the world of Google web services and thousands of Chrome Web Store apps designed for business, education and home, including many popular services like YouTube, Hulu Plus and Netflix. Users are provided with 100 GB of Google Drive space, turning the ASUS Chromebox into a complete data hub for their other personal PCs, smartphones, and tablets. Users can access all of their data and files in the cloud by simply logging in to their Google Account on any device, anywhere.

A 4th generation Intel processor that provides very responsive multitasking performance powers ASUS Chromebox and ensures users won't be kept waiting when working on documents, streaming HD video, browsing the web or playing the latest game. It features 802.11 b/g/n dual-band Wi-Fi to speed web browsing and other online activities. Four USB 3.0 ports, Bluetooth 4.0 and an SD card reader are included to ease everyday tasks such as transferring files, photos and other media. ASUS Chromebox is compatible with a wide range of USB devices, including external storage devices, keyboards, mice, webcams and USB hubs, making it easy to expand as needed.

In addition, ASUS Chromebox features HDMI and DisplayPort outputs for dual monitor capability and support for next-generation 4K Ultra High Definition (4K/UHD) displays. This gives users the flexibility to use desktop displays or large-screen TVs, giving them more room to work, collaborate or play.

Secure and safe account-based access
The account-based, login and start working or playing nature of ASUS Chromebox makes it an easy-to-use family, classroom or office computer. Users can quickly add new Google Accounts for each family member, classmate or co-worker, and can switch accounts at any time ensuring each user's data is safe and secure. Parental controls ensure a safe web environment for kids, and ASUS Chromebox takes the hassle out of computing to allow users - young and old - to enjoy everything the web has to offer. It integrates perfectly with today's digital lifestyles, enabling users to bring one-on-one and group conversations to life with photos and free video calls via Google Hangouts, for example, or create, edit and share office documents with Google Docs in real-time.

AVAILABILITY & PRICING
ASUS Chromebox will be available at leading North American resellers in March with pricing starting at $179 US. Please contact your local ASUS representative for further information on availability, configurations and pricing.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Specs for those who's really interested in buying it:

asus-chromebox.png

Two things are not clear - whether it has expandable storage and whether you can get rid of ChromeOS and install something less Internet dependable, like Windows or Linux. I'm particularly interested in Linux.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
I love computers now, even the slowest ones are quite capable.

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
the spec looks nice, just chrome OS that makes many people think about it again

System Name Current Rig
Processor AMD 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI x670e Tomahawk wifi
Cooling Artic Freezer II 360
Memory G.Skill 32gb ddr5 6000mhz
Video Card(s) AMD 7900XTX 24 GB
Storage Samsung SSD 980 PRO 2TB
Display(s) Alienware 3420DW 120 Freesync
Case LianLi Lancool III white non-rgb
Audio Device(s) Onboard ALC
Power Supply Corsair Shift 1000W
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard Ducky Shine 5
Software Win 11 64bit
Benchmark Scores The second best!

View attachment 54512

Two things are not clear - whether it has expandable storage and whether you can get rid of ChromeOS and install something less Internet dependable, like Windows or Linux. I'm particularly interested in Linux.

I would be interested as well if Chrome OS was replaceable.

I don't know enough about Linux, but what Linux type? would work well for a small box like this?

System Name Graphics Card Free...
Processor Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX Wifi
Cooling Cryorig M9a w/ BeQuiet! PureWings 2 ~ 92mm
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 3200 ~ 16GB(2x8GB)
Storage Samsung EVO 870 SSD - 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2
Case Cardboard...
Power Supply eVGA SuperNova 550w G3
Mouse Logitech t400 Zone Touch Mouse
Keyboard IBM Model "M" Keyboard
Software Manjaro ~ KDE Plasma
Benchmark Scores She's a Runner!
The Celeron and Core i3 these come with are fanless. Not bad. Toss linux on there and you're good to go. I'll definitely be nabbing one of these.

LC

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
I'd be interested in one of these with Windows as Media PC

System Name EVGA-FX | Lenny (Lenovo Y480)
Processor AMD FX-8320 @ 4.5GHz 1.416v | i7 3610qm
Motherboard Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14PE
Memory 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600 | 8gb DDR3 @ 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX780 Classified @ 1228MHz 1.615v | GT640m LE
Storage Crucial M500 480GB, WD Caviar Blue 500GB, WD Scorpio Blue 750GB | Samsung 250GB 840
Display(s) Qnix QX2710 1440p | 42" Vizio 3D LCD TV 1080p
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo
Power Supply Seasonic G-650
Software Windows 6.3.9600
I'd be interested in one of these with Windows as Media PC

I'd jump on one if you can put windows on it. Especially at that price.

I would be interested as well if Chrome OS was replaceable.

I don't know enough about Linux, but what Linux type? would work well for a small box like this?

Linux drives Raspberry Pi and built in appliances with just 16MB of RAM. Try to install Windows XP on them (the oldest supported Windows).

System Name ODIN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Memory G Skill RipjawsV F4 3600 Mhz C16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC LHR
Storage Crucial 2 TB M.2 SSD :: WD Blue M.2 1TB SSD :: 1 TB WD Black VelociRaptor
Display(s) Dell S2716DG 27" 144 Hz G-SYNC
Case Fractal Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio
Power Supply Antec HCP 850 80+ Gold
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores I don't benchmark.

View attachment 54512

Its Linux. As long as you can erase the HDD, you can install Linux on it. Everything else about is just a small PC with limited expandability. As long as you are not trying to put Windows 8.1 on here, I am sure you are fine.