• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sony to Sell VAIO Brand, PC Division

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Sony is reportedly disposing of the iconic VAIO brand, and with it, its PC division. The brand and its assets will be sold off to Japan Industrial Partners (JIP), much in the same way as IBM disposed its PC business and Thinkpad brands over to Lenovo (which was a major supplier to IBM at the time). We won't see the last of VAIO notebooks, Ultrabooks, tablets, and convertibles, only that they won't be sold by Sony. The deal is part of Sony's larger efforts to shed underperforming businesses.

JIP could establish a new PC company from the assets it buys off Sony. In all likelihood, the VAIO brand could be retained, although the company's name itself hasn't been finalized. The new company will see Sony transfer 300 of its employees, to jump-start operations. The MoU signed between Sony and JIP seems to suggest that the company will prioritize Japan over global markets, in what is a similar strategy to Lenovo's. The Chinese company, after acquiring IBM's PC assets, focused its efforts on capturing the Chinese domestic markets with not just PCs, but also smartphones and tablets.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
They made some nice laptops, albeit very overpriced for what they were worth and this is where they were failing. My next laptop will be a 13.3" customised XMG laptop for sure. Better customisation and upgrade options are king especially in the long run. You can gut it and install whatever parts you like without having to worry about black or white listed bioses

System Name Lailalo
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X Boosts to 4.95Ghz
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus (WIFI
Cooling Noctua
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) XFX 7900XT 20GB
Storage Samsung 970 Pro Plus 1TB, Crucial 1TB MX500 SSD, Segate 3TB
Display(s) LG Ultrawide 29in @ 2560x1080
Case Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Power Supply XPG 1000W
Mouse G602
Keyboard G510s
Software Windows 10 Pro / Windows 10 Home
Yeah, tried to be like Apple and it bit them in the butt. Had gotten my mom a Vaio many years ago, then checked into them again when I was shopping for a new laptop. Lot of underpowered laptops for premium prices. Little shocking because the one she got was very decently priced for the performance at the time.

Shame to see Sony exit, but if they can get themselves back on track again, that is good. If JIP can deliver a better product then that would be good when it finally goes global. But unfortunately it'll still most likely be made in China. Last I checked Fujitsu was the only brand still made in Japan but their laptops are all grossly underpowered.

Just need a PC maker, made in Japan, with decent parts. Even if the price is higher, I'd gladly pay more for a non Chinese made machine. Dump my Lenovo in a heartbeat.

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
I'm sorry to see Vaio go. They brought some fantastic design-leading products to market in the past. They really were the makers of the first "ultra-portables" ten+ years ago. But they have slipped. Premium price for great designs that somehow didn't quite get the manufacturing quality right. Too much plastic and flex on a laptop double the price of a Taiwan/Chinese equivalent isnt going to sell. Apple still sell at premium prices because their cases and branding is premium - Sony slipped.

D

Deleted member 24505

Apple is high priced as it is a boutique item, vaio is not.

I guess if it is not working for them it has to go.

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
Apple is high priced as it is a boutique item, vaio is not.

Ah, but it was

Their consumer-end models haven't hit the price mark compared to rivals. In recent years, the high-end models have had the tech-spec but not the design/build quality to warrant their premium. In years gone by, Vaio was premium end AND had design/build quality as good if not better than any competition. (old Z series).

I've been "waiting" for the next Vaio buy for literally years. Each model just didnt quite hit the mark. Samsung Series 9 is now taking that space.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
Yeah, tried to be like Apple and it bit them in the butt. Had gotten my mom a Vaio many years ago, then checked into them again when I was shopping for a new laptop. Lot of underpowered laptops for premium prices. Little shocking because the one she got was very decently priced for the performance at the time.

Shame to see Sony exit, but if they can get themselves back on track again, that is good. If JIP can deliver a better product then that would be good when it finally goes global. But unfortunately it'll still most likely be made in China. Last I checked Fujitsu was the only brand still made in Japan but their laptops are all grossly underpowered.

Just need a PC maker, made in Japan, with decent parts. Even if the price is higher, I'd gladly pay more for a non Chinese made machine. Dump my Lenovo in a heartbeat.
^this. if i could get a laptop not made in china, id pay way more for it. mabye even macbook pro prices, as long as it was not underpowered.

although, while we are in lala land, mabye laptop manufacturers will start adequately cooling their machines, especially the gaming models. and include 8GB ram standard. one can dream..

System Name Desktop
Processor i5 3570k
Motherboard Asrock Z77
Cooling Corsair H60
Memory G Skill 8gb 1600 mhz X 2
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon 7850 X 2
Storage 1 TB Velociraptor, 240GB 840 Samsung
Display(s) 27" Samsung LED X 2
Case Thermaltake V9
Power Supply Seasonic 620 W, CX600M on stand by
Software Win 8.1 64
Benchmark Scores Benches are silly
Ah, but it was

Their consumer-end models haven't hit the price mark compared to rivals. In recent years, the high-end models have had the tech-spec but not the design/build quality to warrant their premium. In years gone by, Vaio was premium end AND had design/build quality as good if not better than any competition. (old Z series).

I've been "waiting" for the next Vaio buy for literally years. Each model just didnt quite hit the mark. Samsung Series 9 is now taking that space.

In the past, I've bought nothing but Sony because I was a windows fan due to its software library and compatibility. I bought nothing but VAIO because it was the best even though it was ultra expensive. However, compared to macbooks, VAIO brand have fallen behind since 2010 in quality. Consequently, so was their sales. The build quality of macbooks barely changed(except the plastic 13" is gone). All aluminum unibody have been the same design and solid construction with minor changes in size and shape.

Recently, VAIO have made their notebook constructions better but it was still grossly overpriced compared to Lenovo. I bought a Lenovo instead even though it was aesthetically and build quality inferior. However, at half the price and 90% of the quality, I can't argue much. After the disappointment of Win8 and MS unwillingness to fix it, I made a leap of faith to Macbooks for mobility. I have to say that side by side comparisons at Microcenter only convinced me further that Macbooks are actually a better value on top of the better construction.

After using my macbook for a year, I am still able to easily sell it for 80% of the price I paid for it. I can't say the same about the VAIO. The construction of the macbook also held solid vs the VAIO that showed its age after just one year. The Apple Care Warranty is second to none. I've never seen no questions asked warranty work that is so convenient and doesn't give me some non-english speaking CR or complex month long system to work through.

My only gripe about Macbooks are the upgrade restrictions. Basically, you cannot upgrade your SSD, RAM or anything for that matter. That's insane that I have to buy a new macbook if I need 16GB of RAM instead of the original 8GB. The original 256GB SSD is also too small. The upgrade premium is huge as well. At the high end, Apple literally have no competition and their prices reflect that.

Last edited:
System Name Current Rig
Processor AMD 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI x670e Tomahawk wifi
Cooling Artic Freezer II 360
Memory G.Skill 32gb ddr5 6000mhz
Video Card(s) AMD 7900XTX 24 GB
Storage Samsung SSD 980 PRO 2TB
Display(s) Alienware 3420DW 120 Freesync
Case LianLi Lancool III white non-rgb
Audio Device(s) Onboard ALC
Power Supply Corsair Shift 1000W
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard Ducky Shine 5
Software Win 11 64bit
Benchmark Scores The second best!
Vaio laptops were always pricy but sturdy; they always had eye appeal. I wonder if the company that picks them up, will just waste the brand name with poor products.

System Name Vintage
Processor i7 - 3770K @ Stock
Cooling Scythe Zipang II
Memory 2x4GB Crucial DDR3
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970
Storage M4 124GB SSD// WD Black 640GB// WD Black 1TB//Samsung F3 1.5TB
Display(s) Samsung SM223BW 21.6"
Case Generic
Power Supply Corsair HX 520W
Software Windows 7
I'm actually surprised about this. They are over priced (no idea why) but VAIO is iconic to Sony much like the PlayStation is.

System Name Sandfiller
Processor I5-10400
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS
Cooling Noctua NH-L9i (92x25mm fan)
Memory 32GB Corsair LPX 2400 Mhz DDR4 CL14
Video Card(s) MSI RX 5700 XT GAMING X
Storage Intel 670P 512GB
Display(s) 2560x1080 LG 29" + 22" LG
Case SS RV02
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Fractal Design IntegraM 650W
Mouse Logitech Triathlon
Keyboard REDRAGON MITRA
Software Windows 11 Home x 64
I've never owned one, but I had a few given to me for a fresh install and maintenance. I clearly remember one of the models was designed in a way, so that when you close the lid to actually leave a slight mark just above the keyboard. I am not particularly sad about them selling the brand name.

System Name Tiger1-Workstation
Processor Intel XEON E3-1275V2 / E3-1230V3
Motherboard ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 / AsRock H87 Performance
Cooling Corsair H80i Watercooling
Memory 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400
Video Card(s) Inno3D GTX 780 Ti
Storage 2TB SSD(4X OCZ vertex 4 256GB LSI RAID0 + Crucial M550 1TB)
Display(s) 2x Dell U3011 30" IPS
Case Silverstone Raven 03
Audio Device(s) Xonar Essence STX--> Xonar Essence One --> SPL Auditor -->Hivi X6
Power Supply Corsair AX860i Platinum
Software Windows 8.1 Enterprise
^this. if i could get a laptop not made in china, id pay way more for it. mabye even macbook pro prices, as long as it was not underpowered.

although, while we are in lala land, mabye laptop manufacturers will start adequately cooling their machines, especially the gaming models. and include 8GB ram standard. one can dream..

all apple products, including MacBook pros, are made in china.

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
Very overpriced. Most people that I knew that had these financed them. LOL. I also rarely seen anyone with those.