• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Thermaltake Releases the Urban S1 and SD1 Micro Cases

Thermaltake, being an industry leader in computer chassis, thermal solutions, and power supply units today officially releasing new micro PC case - Thermaltake Urban S1 and Urban SD1; Both the Thermaltake Urban S1/SD1 Micro Cases are designed for building compact high-performance systems with Micro ATX and Mini ITX motherboards.

Like all Thermaltake Urban cases, Urban S1 and Urban SD1 are ideal if space is limited, yet there is still plenty of room inside for great expansion and advanced cooling PC system.

Urban S1 Micro Case

Compact Design with Handy I/O Ports
Using metal brushed front door panel and perforated side panel to mask the extrusive drive devices, classy blue LED indicator at front top, not only unify the appearance, but also provide a simple yet elegant aesthetic. Two SuperSpeed USB 3.0 ports are implemented at the front-bottom panel, a HD microphone and headset jacks, to grand direct access when needed.

Optimized Ventilation
There is one pre-installed 80 mm rear fan with removable filters for optimizing system ventilation more effectively. Plus pre-mounted hole for more ventilation options (120 mm front fan optional).

Superior Expansion & Convenient Support
The two 5.25" and six 3.5" drive bays design (1x hidden device compatible with 2.5" HDD & SDD) are built to fulfill storage expanding capacity. Urban S1 contains spacious room for standard CPU cooler, 4 PCI extension slots at the back for graphic cards, add-on, and support for special devices to make greater expandability.

For more details on the Thermaltake Urban S1 information please visit: http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00002290

Urban SD1 Micro Case

Simple Design
Using metal brushed front door panel and perforated side panel to mask the extrusive drive devices, classy blue LED indicator at front top, not only unify the appearance, but also provide a simple yet elegant aesthetic.

Fully Modular Concept
A highly customizable 5.25" & 3.5" drive bay feature enables users to freely interchange the 3.5" hard-drive cages to suit one's need and removing the 5.25" & 3.5" drive bays to gain maximum interior space for advanced cooling performance or liquid system build.

Unique Design
Retractable motherboard tray enables to grand total access on installing and upgrading motherboards, CPU cooler, RAM, and VGA; there is no more hard work for bigger hands!

Optimized Ventilation
Standard equipped 1 x front 90 mm turbo Fan & 2 x rear 60 mm fans are to help on system ventilation. Ventilated PCI bracket and ventilation holes allow for efficient air flow and help to cool high-end graphic card efficiently.

Easy Installation
Exclusive 2 + 4 modular drive bays design allows user to assemble and expand easily and fast when all the drive bays have been removed. With anti-vibration 3.5" HDD and 2.5" tool-free drive bay minimized the hassles of installing HDD devices for convenience and ease of accessibility.

High-End Complete System On The Go
Enable user to upgrade a high-end solution with ease; support up to 140 mm radiator liquid cooling system (cooling extension bracket included) and high-end graphic card supported to protect user's hardware and increase CPU's working potential, most importantly delivers outstanding cooling efficiency in the entire case. One large CPU cut-out to ease on CPU cooler installation, plus two retained holes to support advanced LCS and cable management.

For more details on the Thermaltake Urban SD1 information please visit: http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00002291

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

S1 looks good, if it's going to be cheaper than Silencio 352.
Nevermind, GPU length limit 260mm...

System Name Sandfiller
Processor I5-10400
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS
Cooling Noctua NH-L9i (92x25mm fan)
Memory 32GB Corsair LPX 2400 Mhz DDR4 CL14
Video Card(s) MSI RX 5700 XT GAMING X
Storage Intel 670P 512GB
Display(s) 2560x1080 LG 29" + 22" LG
Case SS RV02
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Fractal Design IntegraM 650W
Mouse Logitech Triathlon
Keyboard REDRAGON MITRA
Software Windows 11 Home x 64
S1 looks good, if it's going to be cheaper than Silencio 352.
Nevermind, GPU length limit 260mm...

So? 260~ up to 10.16", what?, that misses Titan and 7970. Ain't that bad, come on :)

So? 260~ up to 10.16", what?, that misses Titan and 7970. Ain't that bad, come on :)
MSI 270x gaming is exactly 260mm any Gigabyte card with windforce is like 300mm so...

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2

you are forgetting that the geforce 780ti, 780, and 770 use the same sized PCB, so those are all out. since the 7970 cant fit, neither can the 7950, the 280x, or most of the 270x cards (sapphire has one card that come in at 9 inches) and obviously, the r9 290, 290x will not fit either.

that one size limitation knocks out anything in the high end market. the fastest nvidia card that will fit is the geforce 760. there is ONE AMD card fro the r9 generation that will fit, ONE specific model r9 270x from sapphire that is only 9 inch, everything else is at least 10.4 inch. otherwise, you are stuck with the r9 270/hd 7850.

both the 760 and the 7850 are mid level cards, not high end cards.

so, yeah, it IS, in fact, that bad. what is the point of an enthusiast case that cant hold any high end cards?

*edit-I accidentally a word.

System Name Sandfiller
Processor I5-10400
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS
Cooling Noctua NH-L9i (92x25mm fan)
Memory 32GB Corsair LPX 2400 Mhz DDR4 CL14
Video Card(s) MSI RX 5700 XT GAMING X
Storage Intel 670P 512GB
Display(s) 2560x1080 LG 29" + 22" LG
Case SS RV02
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Fractal Design IntegraM 650W
Mouse Logitech Triathlon
Keyboard REDRAGON MITRA
Software Windows 11 Home x 64
you are forgetting that the geforce 780ti, 780, and 770 use the same sized PCB, so those are all out. since the 7970 cant fit, neither can the 7950, the 280x, or most of the 270x cards (sapphire has one card that come in at 9 inches) and obviously, the r9 290, 290x will not fit either.

that one size limitation knocks out anything in the high end market. the fastest nvidia card that will fit is the geforce 760. there is ONE AMD card fro the r9 generation that will fit, ONE specific model r9 270x from sapphire that is only 9 inch, everything else is at least 10.4 inch. otherwise, you are stuck with the r9 270/hd 7850.

both the 760 and the 7850 are mid level cards, not high end cards.

so, yeah, it IS, in fact, that bad. what is the point of an enthusiast case that cant hold any high end cards?

*edit-I accidentally a word.

I can't argue well, but I don't agree with you. I couldn't see neither in the press release, nor Tt's webpage where they define the case as "enthusiast"- oriented. What they call it is "compact high-performance case". High-performance is a relative term- you can stuff the most powerfull CPU you can afford and a low-profile GPU and it STILL can be called high-performance computer. The way I see it, this case is aimed at home users that either are not interested or don't have the resources to buy the very high-end spectrum of graphics cards. I don't see an issue with the GPU length in the sense this case is ment to be used. I like the looks of both cases- its one of the better Thermatake's stuff out there. :) And it looks really closed, so may be it will dumpe the sound a bit. When the reviews are out, we will know for sure.

Last edited:
System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
I can't argue well, but I don't agree with you. I couldn't see neither in the press release, nor Tt's webpage where they define the case as "enthusiast"- oriented. What they call it is "compact high-performance case". High-performance is a relative term- you can stuff the most powerfull CPU you can afford and a low-profile GPU and it STILL can be called high-performance computer. The way I see it, this case is aimed at home users that either are not interested or don't have the resources to buy the very high-end spectrum of graphics cards. I don't see an issue with the GPU length in the sense this case is ment to be used. I like the looks of both cases- its one of the better Thermatake's stuff out there. :) And it looks really closed, so may be it will dumpe the sound a bit. When the reviews are out, we will know for sure.
if you are using a low profile gpu, why on earth would you buy one of these cases?
if all you are using is a low profile gpu, then there are cases that are less than half the size of one of these, and cheaper too.
if you dont have the resources to buy a high end card, why would they shell out for a thermaltake case, when other manufactures offer cheaper cases?
for small form factor systems, there are smaller cases that have better ventilation or cheaper prices.
i cant see anybody buying this case unless they had no clue on what they were buying.

System Name HTPC whhaaaat?
Processor 2600k @ 4500mhz
Motherboard Asus Maximus IV gene-z gen3
Cooling Noctua NH-C14
Memory Gskill Ripjaw 2x4gb
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 FTW @ 2037/11016
Storage 2x512GB MX100/1x Agility 3 128gb ssds, Seagate 3TB HDD
Display(s) Vizio P 65'' 4k tv
Case Lian Li pc-c50b
Audio Device(s) Denon 3311
Power Supply Corsair 620HX
Good to know other people share my gripe about virtually every single matx and mitx desktop-style case.

I love my pc-c50b. It's the perfect footprint. The fact it can only support 250mm (which I assume means with rear-facing pci-e power, in reality it is probably 260mm like this even though it would hang over the mobo and on many mobos the sata inputs) sucks a largely quantifiable amount. I had to find pretty much 1 of only two models of 7870 that were that size. I know there was (a year and a half after initial release) a single xfx 7970/7950 pcb revision that also would fit, but I had serious doubts about how well built those were. I would have bought a 290 on launch day if I could be sure it would fit...and the list goes on, including after-market cooler length etc.

The buck stops at 760, and maybe a rare 280x for these cases...everything else you're SOL...and that sucks.

Maybe I'm just getting old and hence it bothers me less, but the reality is I think most of these boxes are for htpcs. A 760/270x level card will usually handle 1080p okay and it's hard to complain about that, as it gets the job done. 20nm should bring 290x/780ti performance to 225w cards. 16nm should bring it to 150w, and likely only then 4k playable on a single card. Somewhere within that transition the cards will get shorter...I have to believe amd/nvidia understand this restraint and will build a card towards it; it is no longer a niche market, but the new normal.

While it sucks I will have to spring for multi-gpu to make my 4k dream come true any time soon, I'm kind-sorta okay with that, as lower-end gpus tend to hit a sweet price/performance spot, and that will likely be around the time 4k matures (if I can hold off buying a vizio p series and simply play at 1080p).

TLDR: I wish there was an answer to the case conundrum, but if there isn't, it'll be alright.