• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Launches the Xeon E7 v2 Processors

To help companies in a variety of industries from retail and healthcare to banking and transportation turn data into actionable insights, Intel Corporation today introduced the Intel Xeon processor E7 v2 family.

Using analytics enables businesses to make decisions that improve top-line and bottom-line results. The Intel Xeon processor E7 v2 family delivers new capabilities to process and analyze large, diverse amounts of data to unlock information that was previously inaccessible.

"Organizations that leverage data to accelerate business insights will have a tremendous edge in this economy," said Diane Bryant, senior vice president and general manager of Intel's Data Center Group. "The advanced performance, memory capacity and reliability of the Intel Xeon processor E7 v2 family enable IT organizations to deliver real-time analysis of large data sets to spot and capitalize on trends, create new services and deliver business efficiency."

Big data and the Internet of Things (IoT) are providing enormous opportunities for many organizations to grow as they create revenue-generating services from the information they are able to derive. The big data technology and services market is expected to grow 27 percent annually through 2017 to reach $32.4 billion. A leading driver of this growth is the immense amount of data coming from connected devices making up the IoT, which is projected to grow to 30 billion devices by 20205. Investments in the highest performing technologies and analysis solutions can also deliver significant cost savings. For example, Intel's IT organization expects to achieve cost savings and increased bottom-line revenue of nearly half a billion dollars through use of analytics solutions by 2016.

New Big Data Processing and Analytics Capabilities with Relentless Reliability
The Intel Xeon processor E7 v2 family has triple the memory capacity of the previous generation processor family, allowing much faster and thorough data analysis. In-memory analytics places and analyzes an entire data set - such as an organization's entire customer database - in the system memory rather than on traditional disk drives. This method is gaining in popularity due to the increased need for more complex analytics. Industry analyst firm Gartner expects 35 percent of mid- to large-sized companies will adopt in-memory analytics by 2015, up from 10 percent in 2012 and predicts at least 50 percent of Global 2000 companies will use in-memory computing to deliver significant additional benefits from investments in enterprise resource planning (ERP).

eBay, one of the world's largest and most complex online marketplaces, handles massive data sets of more than 50 petabytes (PB) for more than 100 million users. Based on initial testing of the new Intel Xeon processor E7 v2 and SAP's HANA in-memory analytics software, eBay has seen greater performance and understanding of larger data sets that will help drive additional revenue opportunities for its customers.

Built for up to 32-socket servers, with configurations supporting up to 15 processing cores and up to 1.5 terabytes (TB) of memory per socket, the new processor family achieves twice the average performance of the previous generation. These enhancements help businesses that run mission critical applications including business support systems (BSS), customer relationship management (CRM), and ERP to operate more efficiently, at lower cost and with faster response times. For example, a sales team with these capabilities can maximize revenue by pinpointing the best time to sell a product, or let an oil and gas company better predict when its platforms require preventative maintenance.

To reduce data bottlenecks, the Intel Xeon Processor E7 v2 family features Intel Integrated I/O, Intel Data Direct I/O and support for PCIe 3.0, achieving up to four times the I/O bandwidth over the previous generation and providing extra capacity for storage and networking connections.

System uptime and reliability also remains a key requirement for mission critical applications. The Intel Xeon Processor E7 v2 family continues Intel's tradition of delivering world-class reliability, availability and serviceability (RAS). Intel Run Sure Technology is designed for "five nines" solutions essential for business-critical data by reducing the frequency and cost of planned and unplanned downtime.

Extensive Industry Support
Starting today, 21 system manufacturers from around the world will announce more than 40 Intel Xeon processor E7 v2 family-based platforms. These manufacturers include Asus, Bull, Cisco, Dell, EMC, Fujitsu, Hitachi, HP, Huawei, IBM, Inspur, Lenovo, NEC, Oracle, PowerLeader, Quanta, SGI, Sugon, Supermicro, Unisys and ZTE. Numerous analytics software vendors also support Xeon processor E7 v2 family-based platforms, including Altibase, IBM, Microsoft, Oracle, Pivotal, QlikView, Red Hat, SAP, SAS, Software AG, Splunk, Sungard, Teradata, TongTech, Vertica and YonYou.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name THE CUBE 2.0
Processor Intel i5 13600k
Motherboard MSI MPG Z690 EDGE DDR4
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14PE BK 2x T30-120 Fan mod mount
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 3200 MT/s C15 32GB 2x16GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aorus 1080 Ti 11GB OC: Core 2GHz, Mem 5.7GHz
Storage WD SN770 250GB / 3x WD SN850X 2TB / Toshiba X300 4TB / 2x RAID1 Toshiba P300 3TB
Display(s) Samsung 49" Odyssey OLED G95SC 240Hz 5120 x 1440
Case "THE CUBE" Custom built, pure Red Alder wood
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT 880
Power Supply Corsair RM1000X
Mouse Logitech G700
Keyboard Logitech G910
Software Windows 11 Pro
which is projected to grow to 30 billion devices by 20205.

I would hope for more than 30B by that year... :)
I wish I could have 1.5TB for a ram disk.

Processor Intel i5-6600
Motherboard ASRock H170M-ITX
Cooling Cooler Master Geminii S524
Memory G.Skill DDR4-2133 16GB (8GB x 2)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9-380X 4GB
Storage Samsung 950 EVO 250GB (mSATA)
Display(s) LG 29UM69G-B 2560x1080 IPS
Case Lian Li PC-Q25
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Seasonic SS-460FL2
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G110
Software Windows 10 Pro

Intel Launches the Xeon E7 v2 Processors + Built for up to 32-socket servers = You might see hear about some 32 socket Xeon E7 servers.

Me? I'll be fine with just four:

Couple Titans, 4 Xeons and 48 SSDs in RAID-0H! See ya on Mars!

System Name Hulk
Processor 8870 v2
Motherboard supermicro
Cooling OEM
Memory 32GBx96
Video Card(s) n/a
Storage n/a
32 socket boards are a thing? they can really fit 32 QPI on each of chips?

Processor Intel i5-6600
Case Lian Li PC-Q25
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G110
Software Windows 10 Pro

Can a single "system" be composed of 32 CPUs? Yes, though physically it'll be several boards; 8 boards with 4 CPUs each for example. With the appropriate bridges all CPUs, memory, devices, etc, will be recognized and used by the system.

That's just one way, not the only way. Some of these newer SOC (systems on chip) are able to be linked via the PCIe bus with other chips, allowing for large numbers of them to be connected together with PCIe bridge chips.

System Name My Surround PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
Motherboard ASUS STRIX X670E-F
Cooling Swiftech MCP35X / EK Quantum CPU / Alphacool GPU / XSPC 480mm w/ Corsair Fans
Memory 96GB (2 x 48 GB) G.Skill DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Suprim X 24GB
Storage WD SN850 2TB, 2 x 512GB Samsung PM981a, 4 x 4TB HGST NAS HDD for Windows Storage Spaces
Display(s) 2 x Viotek GFI27QXA 27" 4K 120Hz + LG UH850 4K 60Hz + HMD
Case NZXT Source 530
Audio Device(s) Sony MDR-7506 / Logitech Z-5500 5.1
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x 1 kW
Mouse Patriot Viper V560
Keyboard Corsair K100
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Mellanox ConnectX-3 10 Gb/s Fiber Network Card
Theses Xeons support 32 processors in one system, but once you get above 4 processors, the line between these Xeons and a supercomputer is blurry at best to me. The only reason I can see you wanting more than 4 processors in a single system (as opposed to a cluster of smaller systems) is for specific pieces of software, particularly those whose licenses only allow you to run it on one system. Can someone help me figure out who would buy a >4P system?

There are only 4 QPI links on each processor, and the processors are connected in a three dimensional arrangement. This means that in a 32 socket system if you want to send data between two processors you potentially could have to traverse two additional processors.

Processor 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Auros Elite AX
Cooling Custom Water
Memory GSKILL 2x16gb 6000mhz Cas 30 with custom timings
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6750 XT MECH 2X 12G OC
Storage Adata SX8200 1tb with Windows, Samsung 990 Pro 2tb with games
Display(s) HP Omen 27q QHD 165hz
Case ThermalTake P3
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex Titanium
Software Windows 11 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores CB23: 1811 / 19424 CB24: 1136 / 7687
I would like to play with a 32 cpu server. Use it for WCG.

Processor Intel i5-6600
Case Lian Li PC-Q25
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G110
Software Windows 10 Pro
Can someone help me figure out who would buy a >4P system?

Those people do exist. I've been to a few conferences where huge multi-rack OLAP systems have been demonstrated. While I'm drooling there are other techs in the audience nodding in agreement with the speaker, and are honestly considering purchasing these systems for their companies.

eBay is one such company listed in the PR above. Couple million spent on new hardware which in turn brings in tens of millions in additional profit is good ROI.