• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD and BlueStacks to Bring New Dual-OS Android Solution to Retail

AMD today at Mobile World Congress announced the retail availability of a new BlueStacks dual-OS Android solution, optimized for AMD APUs, with expected consumer availability in the second half of 2014. The AMD and BlueStacks joint solution brings the complete Google Android OS experience to select Microsoft Windows-based AMD-based tablets, 2-in-1s, notebooks and desktops in select retail stores. The availability in retail stores of the virtualized Android solution, unveiled at CES earlier this year, will allow consumers to easily access both Windows and Android environments, side-by-side, on select AMD-based PCs. The BlueStacks solution will first be made available with several key retail partners across EMEA later this year, including Elkjop Group.

"The ability to span two OS ecosystems gives end-users access to both Windows and Android apps, but the key is providing for the seamless integration of entertainment and productivity across those ecosystems," said Steve Belt, corporate vice president, Product Management, at AMD. "Introducing our solution in retail puts AMD and BlueStacks in a unique position to offer in-store customers the option to include access to this great experience at the time of purchase of their new systems."

PC buyers will have the choice of an AMD-BlueStacks upgrade when buying an AMD-based PC at select retailers. Easy integration of BlueStacks for retail customers effectively bridges the divide between mobile and PC, and the retail solution requires no additional driver or extension support.

The retail version of BlueStacks running on a Windows PC powered by select AMD APUs offers:
  • A familiar Android user interface, including settings, configuration and customization controls;
  • The ability to run Android apps within a window or at full-screen resolution leveraging direct access to AMD graphics processing power;
  • Support for hundreds of thousands of Android apps direct from various Android app stores, as well as synchronization between the same apps being run on the user's stand-alone Android devices;
  • Seamless interoperability through direct file sharing that enables Android apps to access files stored within the Windows file system; and
  • Support for sensors like built-in cameras, accelerometer, gyroscope and others.

"'Android-Ready PCs are the future. With BlueStacks technology, consumers can turn their AMD Windows-based PC into an Android-ready device and enjoy mobile content, games and apps on their PC and sync with their mobile phone," said Rosen Sharma, CEO, BlueStacks. "Retail availability brings our solution to the masses, and AMD shares our enthusiasm in giving consumers the ability to enjoy Android entertainment and useful apps together with Windows productivity and gaming, on a single PC."

As with the AMD-BlueStacks solution announced at CES 2014, the retail solution won't require the user to disengage from one OS before using another; the AMD and BlueStacks solution runs Android virtually within Windows. The customization, settings and personalization capabilities expected from an Android device are made available in a Windows environment. The retail solution also supports easy synchronization of the two environments through BlueStack's FoneLink service that enables AMD Windows-based PCs to become an extension of Android mobile devices and vice versa.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

That's interesting, but AMD need to be able to sell chipsets that competes with intel atom and Qualcomm Snapdragon to stop them from going red. No offefnse :).

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
Why pair Windows with Android apps? Wouldn't there be higher demand for pairing Windows with native Ubuntu apps?

That's interesting, but AMD need to be able to sell chipsets that competes with intel atom and Qualcomm Snapdragon to stop them from going red. No offefnse :).

Actually AMD's APUs out perform Atom and Snapdragon.

Processor Intel i5-6600
Motherboard ASRock H170M-ITX
Cooling Cooler Master Geminii S524
Memory G.Skill DDR4-2133 16GB (8GB x 2)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9-380X 4GB
Storage Samsung 950 EVO 250GB (mSATA)
Display(s) LG 29UM69G-B 2560x1080 IPS
Case Lian Li PC-Q25
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Seasonic SS-460FL2
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G110
Software Windows 10 Pro
Why pair Windows with Android apps? Wouldn't there be higher demand for pairing Windows with native Ubuntu apps?

Personally I have been interested in this sort of thing since I saw the Asus Transformer Trio. It switches between two hardware systems for Android and Windows 8. The cost ($1500) is a little outside what I'd like to pay, so hopefully a BlueStacks tabtop finds itself into my price range.

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / Sharkoon Rebel 9 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 / Windows 7
They should improve performance with better multi core support. The version I am using, scores almost the same in Antutu, either when running it on a X4 or an X6 Phenom II.

But it's biggest problem is that it doesn't hibernate/suspend or something. So after closing it I haven't found a way to go back to where I was. You just reload the app. And this takes time even when using a Samsung EVO SSD. Not to mention that some times doesn't load and you have to restart it. Like now for example. I hit it to open and it still loading. Tried restarting it and it is still loading. It is one of those boring problems. 3rd try, opened in less than 15 seconds. Finally.

Not to mention that Nvidia doesn't like them for going with AMD. I guess they doesn't like them anyway because Nvidia makes Tegra, so Bluestacks is a competitor in a way. The latest 334 drivers from Nvidia brake 3D in Bluestacks, at least in my system. I get NO 3D. Even the desktop in ADW doesn't have a picture. I get a black background. Typical Nvidia behavior. 331 where running with problems in 3D(occasional white flashes), but at least they where running and you could play a game for example. Bluestacks is the only reason I am still with 331 in my X4 system and a good reason to replace GT620 in this system with an AMD card in the future, or just one more excuse to replace this old AM3 setup with a Kaveri.
It does run just fine on HD6850. 3D on AMD cards looks perfect.