• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

R9 290-290X owners thread

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
your cards do run that hot @100% fan speed and there very loud from the vid you posted.
I had a 280 msi card and i found the fans very loud and identical to yours,
I allso had a asus 780 card , much better cooler than the msi one.
Here do you say my cards temp runs? And not to be rude but when younstick a dam s3 right upto the fans yes they are loud but if you paid attention I did upnclose and then backed away to where I sit. Please dont insult me for posting real life video and tell me what temps im running and clocks too ok. Im surprised you didnt link your hundredths link to your water cooled make shift unit. And just cor you info it was a quick video and next time ill turn the fan behind the gpu off mmkay! Read my description in the video before comenting on how loud it is ok please.

Edit: that little snowflake I clicked on in the vid shoots the fans upto 100% for 40 sec then down to idle every 5 min.

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
Go look at post #288 and look at my clocks and max temp of 71c so either your trolling to piss me off or you mixing things up. I just found a video of me running twin msi R7970' clocked to the balls running valley and I was sitting away at the same distance I was for the msi 290 vid.. im going to do the same test sitting at the same spot and everything except cards will be different... and then comment on loud

System Name Mean
Processor 2700k @ Modest 4.85Ghz,1.38V
Motherboard Asus maximus V formula
Cooling Sealed intel water loop
Memory 16 Gig Corsair red @2133 Mhz @ 11,10,11,27,2T timings 1.55V
Video Card(s) 2 X XFX 290 In crossfire 4 gig memory
Storage Intel 520 Ssd 520 read 500 write 120 gig system drive 3 x Wd 750 gig drives
Display(s) BenQ BL3201PT 32" 4k 60Hz Professional Widescreen LED Monitor
Case Lian li Tall tower
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply enermax revolution 87+ 650w '80 plus gold X 2
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/7671243 http://www.passmark.com/baselines/V8/display.php?id=17224737452
i had the exact same cooler on my amd 280 and i found them very loud.
Maybe were just using a different set of standards.

I want people to save money and not waste money on 3rd party graphics card with coolers that pump hot air back into the case.
Huge drawback people seem to ignore.
Thats why i post my make shift setup so people can benifit.

Last edited:
System Name Mean
Storage Intel 520 Ssd 520 read 500 write 120 gig system drive 3 x Wd 750 gig drives
Case Lian li Tall tower
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/7671243 http://www.passmark.com/baselines/V8/display.php?id=17224737452
Go look at post #288 and look at my clocks and max temp of 71c so either your trolling to piss me off or you mixing things up. I just found a video of me running twin msi R7970' clocked to the balls running valley and I was sitting away at the same distance I was for the msi 290 vid.. im going to do the same test sitting at the same spot and everything except cards will be different... and then comment on loud

Push them cards to there max you will be getting 80+ even on 100% fan speed.
you run a system long enough ambient temps will rise, case internal temp will allso rise slightly.
Ive seen your vid nice setup but for a true test you need to stress test with how you plan to use the machine and that means fitting the case cover on and keeping yoru window closed.
Set your fan curve run stress test or game for a hour or so and then post results.
Limiting a test to 5 to 10 min just isnt enough time for a true reading.

System Name Mean
Case Lian li Tall tower
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Win 7
Ive had the exact same cooler, I know how loud it is, i know fast it removes heat from the gpu an dim sorry to say but your statements on there performance just isnt a true test in real life usage.
The product is good but the asus cooler is miles better for removing heat and lower noise levels.
Allso you need awsome case cooler with great air extraction.

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
Thats a 280! A 280 and 290 are different pcb design so coolers will also be different ;)

Let me figure out what I can use as a reference for sound that most can associate with and we'll go from there. When you put a phone microphone right upto a fan of course its going to be loud. Let me try my gaming senheizers mic and have it hooked up through my stx andsee if I can get a db reader to work with the mic.

I hate to bore pplnso I keep vids to under 3 min but this time ill take more care and do a better job for better understanding ok. And forgive me typing.. on the road and kinda hard at times to spell correctly

manofthem

WCG-TPU Team All-Star!
Processor 3900X @ 4.0
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E
Cooling DeepCool Castle 360EX
Memory G Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600
Video Card(s) RX 5700 XT Pulse
Storage Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB
Display(s) LG 34UC88
Case Thermaltake P3
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III 750w
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard G Skill KM570 MX Silver
Software Windows 10 Pro
I found out my tax will be sent out Thursday so fingers crossed its here friday so I can cross fire these babies.

Tax $ arrived today, but I don't feel like spending more than I already have, so it'll be a while before I splurge on a cfx setup unfortunately. :(

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
Push them cards to there max you will be getting 80+ even on 100% fan speed.
you run a system long enough ambient temps will rise, case internal temp will allso rise slightly.
Ive seen your vid nice setup but for a true test you need to stress test with how you plan to use the machine and that means fitting the case cover on and keeping yoru window closed.
Set your fan curve run stress test or game for a hour or so and then post results.
Limiting a test to 5 to 10 min just isnt enough time for a true reading.
I know where your going with this comment as I did and do read. You got this from solaris and kudos to him. He knows his shit better then most. Tbh for the test for sound do you not think its going to drown the noise even more? That was the point to show how quiet with the side it is. When in my vid I said now this is loud as it gets while gaming... I always keep the side on for dust protection. The way I have my fans rigged up if you toke a close look the rear noctua is pulling air into the case and with the huge 170mm in the front pushing into the case I have neutral pressure in the case tonkeep dust out. Side pannel off the card sits 32-33c and panel on 35c.

And push the card? Christ I just got it and have mabey 4 hrs testing done on it. If you want a pissn match wait till next week when I get my 2nd card..then lets bave a pissn match! Ask anyone here that knows me here im not full of shit.. heck ill even downclock my cpu to a modest 4.6 thatshould be = to a 2700 @ 4.8?

System Name Mean
Case Lian li Tall tower
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Win 7
cooler may be different from the 280 to 290 but the fans are the same 80mm fans.
for my needs they were to loud.

Im running 6 of these.
2 on the cpu 4 on gfx.

post above,
i didnt get anything from anyone its from me

Yeah but your still be running hotter @ 4.6 lol
Im not interested in rowing im only interested in the facts of real life performance.
when i read you say a few posts ago about some card that runs hot and you would send them back i new for a fact you cards no different and i had to say somthing.

Oh yeah the 3770k is ideal if you plan to go camping and need a portable way to cook with.
saves having to buy a gas refill

Last edited:

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
Dont make me wag my finger at ya matt!! When I pop in my second card and show ya some numbers. ... put aside some cash man lol cus otherwise you'll be kicking yourself down the road.

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
cooler may be different from the 280 to 290 but the fans are the same 80mm fans.
for my needs they were to loud.

Im running 6 of these.
2 on the cpu 4 on gfx.

post above,
i didnt get anything from anyone its from me

Yeah but your still be running hotter @ 4.6 lol
Im not interested in rowing im only interested in the facts of real life performance.
when i read you say a few posts ago about some card that runs hot and you would send them back i new for a fact you cards no different and i had to say somthing.
Seen that vid a year ago and your point? Go watch linus and his big ass test cfm machine.. I want low noise and high static pressure and those my friend dont come close. They make more noise then anything else imho

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
To be fair while crossfire and or side panel on will raise the temp of anything in the system fan ramping can keep saturation from happening earlier meaning that load temp can be cooler then any card that does not ramp faster earlier. if you leave stock bios ramp settings the card will get hot because of the thermal saturation in the metal. However if you ramp the fan higher at a lower stage you can realistically stop it from happening so at 1 hour in you can have a different max temp because you curbed the dissapation in the mid 40s.

Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Asus TUF-Gaming B550-Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon Rx 580 Nitro+ 8GB
Storage HP EX950 512GB + Samsung 970 PRO 1TB
Display(s) HP Z Display Z24i G2
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-5
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Ultra 650W Gold
Mouse Roccat Kone AIMO Remastered
Software Windows 10 x64
I don't actually think there's anything wrong with my card, it's just FurMark pushing the load in unrealistic way.
This is how I test with it (the temperature is this morning's idle):
upload_2014-3-5_6-53-45.png

Also, after reading some posts and articles, I decided to repaste. There was a LOT of paste all around the GPU, and it was already starting to dry out, so I took my trusty Noctua NT-H1 (I really hate the consistency, but it works, so...) and applied proper thin film. Well guess what, temperatures are identical :D
When I'm done reinstalling all mods, I'll keep playing Skyrim for some time and make note of temperatures and fan load.

Also, need Kraken!

Attachments

• NZXT Kraken.png
    NZXT Kraken.png
    555.3 KB · Views: 462

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
To be fair while crossfire and or side panel on will raise the temp of anything in the system fan ramping can keep saturation from happening earlier meaning that load temp can be cooler then any card that does not ramp faster earlier. if you leave stock bios ramp settings the card will get hot because of the thermal saturation in the metal. However if you ramp the fan higher at a lower stage you can realistically stop it from happening so at 1 hour in you can have a different max temp because you curbed the dissapation in the mid 40s.
Finally some sense here, I agree but will say I dont know the fan curve of these cards yet and tbh both bioses are the same except ones eufi and the other is standard. I once had a 5890 I think that what itnwas and it was very aggressive in ramping fan speed and it was an xfx card. I just need time to test. I just got to the plant and its been a long day. Dumb fu★k will be banging on my cab by 4:45 to kick off 114 squealers off , then I head back home for the week. 800mi in 11.8hrs has been a long day ;)

Time isnt in my favour, really I have one fullnday to test a week. Have a wife that hates my time on the computer doing testing and have lots of bills to pay so work work work.

Anyways good night all and @freeleacher take what I say to you with a grain of salt ok? Its all good :) ttul all thursday and hopefully Friday with my other card.

manofthem

WCG-TPU Team All-Star!
Processor 3900X @ 4.0
Display(s) LG 34UC88
Case Thermaltake P3
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
Let me pose a question to ya'll folk:

I'm looking to cfx in the near future, and since I have a reference 290, would you buy a second hand 290 that was used for mining, with the intention of water cooling?

I always said no, but I think I would consider it if I can find a good deal on a card.

Thoughts?

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
I don't actually think there's anything wrong with my card, it's just FurMark pushing the load in unrealistic way.
This is how I test with it (the temperature is this morning's idle):
View attachment 55226

Also, after reading some posts and articles, I decided to repaste. There was a LOT of paste all around the GPU, and it was already starting to dry out, so I took my trusty Noctua NT-H1 (I really hate the consistency, but it works, so...) and applied proper thin film. Well guess what, temperatures are identical :D
When I'm done reinstalling all mods, I'll keep playing Skyrim for some time and make note of temperatures and fan load.

Also, need Kraken!
I would stay away from that burn in shit man. It will cook a card given enough time. That post fx is hard on components and the money you spent do you really want to watch a fuzzy ring or whatever is up being displayed? Game away and enjoy and letnthe card break in a bit. I was playing grid2 the other night with everything to the max settings and the case was closed up and highest temp hit 72c.. not bad imo and quiet. Wait till I post my valley balls out run with my 7970's lol... it reminded me of sitting on the jumbo jet just behind the engines for 16hrs heading to australia. Well the plane was actually quieter haha. Night all.

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
Let me pose a question to ya'll folk:

I'm looking to cfx in the near future, and since I have a reference 290, would you buy a second hand 290 that was used for mining, with the intention of water cooling?

I always said no, but I think I would consider it if I can find a good deal on a card.

Thoughts?
Go for it.. miners downclock and I recall wizz saying one wouldnt even k ow if they bought a used mining gpu so thats my thought..

manofthem

WCG-TPU Team All-Star!
Processor 3900X @ 4.0
Display(s) LG 34UC88
Case Thermaltake P3
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
Go for it.. miners downclock and I recall wizz saying one wouldnt even k ow if they bought a used mining gpu so thats my thought..

It's a good start, thanks.

I think I'd go for it like you say, but of course I would be cautious; sale depending on several factors.

Hopefully I can find one :)

Processor Intel Core i9 13900KF
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Hero EVA Edition
Cooling Asus Ryujin II 360 EVA Edition
Memory 4x16GBs DDR5 6800MHz G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo Series
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 4090 AMP Extreme Airo
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro OS - 4TB Nextorage G Series Games - 8TBs WD Black Storage
Display(s) LG C2 OLED 42" 4K 120Hz HDR G-Sync enabled TV
Case Asus ROG Helios EVA Edition
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S910W - 7.1 Klipsch Dolby ATMOS Speaker Setup - Audeze Maxwell
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 1300W
Mouse Asus ROG Keris EVA Edition - Asus ROG Scabbard II EVA Edition
Keyboard Asus ROG Strix Scope EVA Edition
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey VR
Software Windows 11 Pro 64bit
I'm afraid I won't be able to give you any juicy information.

Even with the DCUII cooler, the card still gets fucking hot if you push it. I tried FurMark for kicks and what the... 91°C. I could fry eggs on the backplate (which I otherwise like a lot, it makes the whole thing sturdy as hell). Of course, this is a bit extreme situation, so it will probably be ok when gaming.
good thing about it is it's absolutely inaudible when idle or under minimal load.

The card is also HEAVY, and I mean it feels like a goddamn brick.
It's also sexy as hell!!

...and it can't mine for shit. Mine has the infamous Elpida memory, and I can't get it to work faster than 580kh/s. It also makes noises like Boeing taking off when I try :D I will not mess around with The Stilt's customized mining VBIOSes though. Mining is not important to me.

I also managed to mess my system up with Asus GPU Tweak by undervolting too much and having it start with Windows :D
Speaking of undervolting, this particular card has 71,9% ASIC quality, which, according to The Stilt is actually good, because from what I could gather over at Litecointalk, lower number means lower leakage.
The default voltage is 1250mV (at least reported by GPU Tweak), and thus far it seems to be runnning without problems (including FurMark run) at 1210mV. Took a few degrees (but not many) off when under extreme load.

P.S. I'll only try to overclock at default or even undervolted settings, so don't expect anything funny from me in that regard.

Woah! That temp is way too high, I have the same card and I have never seen it reach 80 degrees, the card has a bios switch, I think you have it set to "quiet" try and switch it to performance and your card should barely break a sweat, and even at that setting the fans are much quieter than the reference one.

Processor Ryzen 5800X
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Software Windows 10 x64
Uh, I'll have to find it first :D
edit2: Found it, and it's already set to performance mode (to the right).

The main thing that concerns me is that the card is unable to mine. And I mean at all. I get shit ton of HW errors in cgminer if I set intensity over 11 (no matter what other settings), and any thread concurrency over 8192, and cgminer simply refuses to even start mining.
I hope it's not a problem with the card, but there's no logical explanation why this shouldn't work.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Software Windows 10 x64
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Octopuss,

Mining is seldom logical. Sometimes, a perfectly functional card can be shipped with a bios that simply doesn't mine well. It will game fine, but the card will always suck for mining, no matter how many times you RMA it.

That said, your temps look highly suspect, but if the RMA does not work, see below:

The only fix if it is a bad bios is to adjust the latency timings in the cards bios image, and that's a dark art that only a mysterious user known as The Stilt has mastered over at litecointalk.org

Here, maybe this willl help you.:

https://litecointalk.org/index.php?topic=12830.0

Processor Ryzen 5800X
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Software Windows 10 x64
I know about that guy, and I even mentioned him here (I think).
Anyway, you're not wrong with the illogical part.
I found out the minimal thread concurrency for 290 is apparently 8*shaders. After some more tweaking (including lowering memory clock from 1260 to 1250) I am looking at 640kh/s as the absolute maximum I can squeeze out of the card. I assume it's because of universally crappy BIOS timings and Elpida memory, as reported by Stilt.