• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS Announces AM1M-A and AM1I-A Motherboards

ASUS today announced AM1M-A and AM1I-A, two exciting new motherboards that support the latest AMD AM1-socketed SoC (system-on-a-chip) Athlon and Sempron series Accelerated Processing Units (APUs).

These revolutionary APUs with AMD R Series graphics combine high processing power, advanced Microsoft DirectX 11.1 graphics, and Fusion controller hubs (FCHs) in one small, efficient package - improving performance by over 50% compared to the previous ('Brazos 2.0') generation of AMD APUs.

With low power consumption and excellent graphic performance from the APUs, both AM1M-A and AM1I-A are great-value choices for desktops and home-theater PCs (HTPCs).

AM1M-A and AM1I-A have been engineered to the very highest quality standards and are packed with exclusive features, as ASUS customers both demand and expect.

ASUS 5X Protection safeguards sensitive components from short-circuits, electrical surges and similar risks. It includes ASUS DIGI+ VRM (voltage-regulator module) to ensure a smooth power supply to the processor, overcurrent protection to prevent short circuits damaging the RAM, electrostatic-discharge (ESD) guards, high-quality solid-state capacitors and corrosion-resistant input/output (I/O) shields - a combination of technologies that provide the very best reliability and durability.

USB 3.0 Boost with UASP Mode accelerates the already-fast speed of USB 3.0, intelligently optimizing transfer commands so that more data can be sent and received in shorter times than is possible with other motherboards.

The new ASUS motherboards also include a brilliantly easy-to-use UEFI BIOS that presents a friendly graphical interface, allowing users to set up shortcuts and favorites for quick access to the options that are used most often. They also benefit from AI Suite 3, an exclusive ASUS dashboard-style control panel that lets users fine-tune almost every aspect of an AM1M-A- or AM1I-A-based system for the best balance between performance, stability and efficiency - all via a simple and intuitive interface.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
I would have liked more SATA ports, but I guess I can't complain too much about a socket-ed SoC.

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
I would have liked more SATA ports, but I guess I can't complain too much about a socket-ed SoC.
yeah me too, make it 4 sata ports and many people would run mini itx platform

AMD must have some more good SoCs in the pipeline to have this much mobo support for the new AM1 platform. This is good news for consumers.

Processor Intel Atom 270
Cooling Passive
Memory 2GB DDR3-1333
Storage 160GB WD 2.5"
Case Custom
Power Supply Seasonic-Passive
Looks nice. What's the price though?

Processor Phenom II X4 965 BE @4 GHz | NB @2600 MHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 2x 8GB PC12800 @1600 MHz CL7 1T
Video Card(s) Gigabyte HD 7950
Storage 2 x 500 GB -- HD502HJ & WD5000AACS-00ZUB0
Display(s) Iiyama Prolite E2202WS_WVS
Case Corsair Obsidian 550D
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2 w/ Z-5500
Power Supply Seasonic X-750
Mouse Logitech B100
Keyboard Logitech G15 (blue backlight)
Software Windows 7 - SP1 x64

My thoughts exactly. One of them small µ-ATX or even mini-ITX boards with 6 sata ports would be perfect for a small server.

[EDIT]: Eeh... Scratch that, they don't support ECC. Don't know much about servers, but after doing research on building a NAS from the ground up, I found out that ECC matters for ZFS.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Software MacOS 12.1
My thoughts exactly. One of them small µ-ATX or even mini-ITX boards with 6 sata ports would be perfect for a small server.

[EDIT]: Eeh... Scratch that, they don't support ECC. Don't know much about servers, but after doing research on building a NAS from the ground up, I found out that ECC matters for ZFS.

I've yet to read this. I know that ZFS doesn't require ECC memory, I know a handful of people that use it on say, an Atom box without an issue.

ZFS might write ECC so it can correct corrupted data from the disk, but I don't think it requires ECC memory. Requiring ECC would be more of a requirement for a stable machine imho because if bits in memory are flipping, the machine is unstable anyways.

Processor Phenom II X4 965 BE @4 GHz | NB @2600 MHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 2x 8GB PC12800 @1600 MHz CL7 1T
Video Card(s) Gigabyte HD 7950
Storage 2 x 500 GB -- HD502HJ & WD5000AACS-00ZUB0
Display(s) Iiyama Prolite E2202WS_WVS
Case Corsair Obsidian 550D
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2 w/ Z-5500
Power Supply Seasonic X-750
Mouse Logitech B100
Keyboard Logitech G15 (blue backlight)
Software Windows 7 - SP1 x64
I've yet to read this. I know that ZFS doesn't require ECC memory, I know a handful of people that use it on say, an Atom box without an issue.

ZFS might write ECC so it can correct corrupted data from the disk, but I don't think it requires ECC memory. Requiring ECC would be more of a requirement for a stable machine imho because if bits in memory are flipping, the machine is unstable anyways.

That's right, ZFS doesn't need ECC memory. But then, so many people on FreeNAS's forums say that if you don't have ECC memory, you're going to run into trouble. I may have misunderstood the warning though, and the issue lies at the machine level, as you put it.

Processor Intel i5-6600
Motherboard ASRock H170M-ITX
Cooling Cooler Master Geminii S524
Memory G.Skill DDR4-2133 16GB (8GB x 2)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9-380X 4GB
Storage Samsung 950 EVO 250GB (mSATA)
Display(s) LG 29UM69G-B 2560x1080 IPS
Case Lian Li PC-Q25
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Seasonic SS-460FL2
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G110
Software Windows 10 Pro
ASRock has a couple 4-port boards, 2 are from a 3rd party controller.

QNAP and other storage vendors might develop some turnkey and bare-bones AM1 solutions because they buy their controllers and port multipliers in large quantities. For us Joe can't-buy-a-thousand-at-time Shmoes looking to go beyond 4 devices the FM2 platform seems like a better choice. My A8-5500 + mATX combo will cost me about $150, but this can be cut down by using a cheaper APU and get much closer to the estimated $60 an AM1 solution will cost. That'll give me 8-ports and open PCIe slots if I feel like expanding in the future.

Now, if you've already invested in a controller, this might work out nicely.

System Name Epsilon
Processor A12-9800E 35watts
Motherboard MSI Grenade AM4
Cooling Stock
Memory 2x4GB DDR4 2400 Kingston Hyper X
Video Card(s) Radeon R7 (IGP / APU)
Storage Samsung Spinpoint F1
Display(s) AOC 29" Ultra wide
Case Generic
Power Supply Antec Earthwatts 380w
Software Windows 10

I believe if you insert ECC memory into a non-supported ECC platform, the memory will still work without ECC funcionality.

Those atoms running ECC memory are just running the memory without the ECC feature, i believe.

Buffered (or "registered") sticks however, will not work if it's not supported by the platform, and the thing won't even boot.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
Buffered (or "registered") sticks however, will not work if it's not supported by the platform, and the thing won't even boot.

You won't even be able to insert the DIMM. buffered and unbuffered DDR DIMMs are keyed differently, so it won't actually fit anyways, let alone boot iirc.

Edit: That may be FB DIMMS not strictly registered DIMMs.

Last edited: