• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New Das Keyboard 4 Amps Up the Volume, Drowns Out the Competition

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Das Keyboard, maker of award winning mechanical keyboards, today announced the Das Keyboard 4, the most forward-thinking mechanical keyboard in the world. With amazing new features, Das Keyboard 4 is the most significant keyboard update since the original Das Keyboard, redefining the best typing experience available on the market.

"Das Keyboard 4 is an order-of-magnitude improvement over past generation Das Keyboards," said Daniel Guermeur, creator of the Das Keyboard and CEO of Metadot. "Programmers, Internet surfers, freelancers and others who work eight to 12 hours a day at their computers know their keyboard is the tool they touch the most, making it the most important tool in their lives. One might as well use the keyboard that provides the best efficiency and enjoyment."

Das Keyboard 4 includes:
  • A no-compromise typing experience - every aspect of this keyboard is best in class, from a refined vibration-less enclosure, hex screws, cutting edge look, and an over-sized HiFi-inspired volume knob.
  • A new anodized aluminum top panel for improved durability.
  • German-engineered, gold-plated mechanical switches that create the distinct click of each keystroke and provide better tactile and audible feedback than standard keyboards.
  • SuperSpeed USB 3.0 hub provides a two-port 5Gb/s hub for faster high-resolution picture and video file transfers between USB devices.
  • N-key rollover (NKRO) over USB for faster gaming, eliminating the need for a PS2 adapter, often required of older keyboards.
  • Over-sized volume knob and dedicated media controls to quickly adjust volume while on a Skype call, in a Google hangout or streaming online music.
  • Instant sleep button puts the connected computer into sleep mode, saving energy even when taking short breaks.
  • A magnetic footbar to incline the keyboard at a perfect 4-degree angle, which can also double as a ruler, instead of the traditional flip-out feet.
  • Extra long 6.6-foot long cable to extend nearly anywhere the user wants to operate.
"Typing on a Das Keyboard is euphoric and enables users to type faster. People can't stop typing because it feels too good. We continue to listen to our customers who tell us they want every detail of their keyboard to be perfect, from the way it looks, to the way it clicks. Das Keyboard 4 has been designed for these people. We took it up a notch and made Das Keyboard 4 the best feeling, most advanced keyboard in the world," Guermeur said.

Pricing and Availability
Das Keyboard 4 is available in the Professional version, which provides traditional QWERTY labeled keys, as well as the Ultimate version, a completely blank keyboard for bad-ass typists and gaming enthusiasts in search of a more euphoric typing experience. Both come in either the Cherry MX Blue switches with a clicky, tactile feel, or the Cherry MX Brown switches for a more subtle and lighter typing experience.

Das Keyboard 4 Professional and Ultimate with Cherry MX Blue and MX Brown switches are available in the United States, for a suggested retail price of $169 with the Cherry MX Blue switch, and $173 with the Cherry MX Brown switch. It is also available in the German, UK and Nordic layout, for a suggested retail price of €169 with the Cherry MX Blue switch, and €173 with the Cherry MX Brown switch.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor Intel Core i5 3570k
Motherboard MSI Z77 MPower
Cooling Thermalright Archon
Memory Crucial Ballistix Elite 2x4GB 1600MHz (8-8-8-24)
Video Card(s) MSI Geforce GTX 1060 6GB Gaming X
Storage Plextor M5 Pro 512GB; WD Caviar Green 2TB
Display(s) 2x HP ZR24w
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Special Edition Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-650
Mouse Logitech G403 HERO
Keyboard SteelSeries 7G
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit EN
How did they manage to forget about the wrist-rest and key-backlighting o_O
Especially for a keyboard this expensive..

System Name Current Rig
Processor AMD 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI x670e Tomahawk wifi
Cooling Artic Freezer II 360
Memory G.Skill 32gb ddr5 6000mhz
Video Card(s) AMD 7900XTX 24 GB
Storage Samsung SSD 980 PRO 2TB
Display(s) Alienware 3420DW 120 Freesync
Case LianLi Lancool III white non-rgb
Audio Device(s) Onboard ALC
Power Supply Corsair Shift 1000W
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard Ducky Shine 5
Software Win 11 64bit
Benchmark Scores The second best!
How did they manage to forget about the wrist-rest and key-backlighting o_O
Especially for a keyboard this expensive..

R&D was spent on a "ruler." :confused:

Looks like the quality is about the same as previous generation. The large volume wheel is a plus but ultimately the pricing is $60 too much for this.

System Name Windows 10 64-bit Core i7 6700
Processor Intel Core i7 6700
Motherboard Asus Z170M-PLUS
Cooling Corsair AIO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Kingston DDR4 2666
Video Card(s) Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB, Seagate Baracuda 1 TB
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX v2 650W
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro, Cherry MX Reds
Software MS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Forget about throwing your keyboard to the wall in a heat of passion, now you can detach a ruler and beat your keyboard with it

Why always assuming what we are supposed to do: "Skype call, in a Google hangout or streaming online music". Yeah, just "calling, chatting or listening to music" is not enough to justify marketing department salaries....

System Name Rainbow
Processor Intel Core i7 8700k
Motherboard MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC
Cooling Corsair H115i, 2x Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-3000 PWM
Memory G. Skill TridentZ RGB 4x8GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GeForce RTX 3090 Trinity
Storage 2x Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | 2xHGST Deskstar 4TB 7.2K
Display(s) Samsung C27HG70
Case Xigmatek Aquila
Power Supply Seasonic 760W SS-760XP
Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K95
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 4 trillion points in GmailMark, over 144 FPS 2K Facebook Scrolling (Extreme Quality preset)
Well, I was interested until I saw the price. It's somewhat good looking, but for the price, I'd at least expect backlighting.

System Name my box
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi x470 Ultimate
Cooling NZXT Kraken x72
Memory 2×16GiB @ 3200MHz, some Corsair RGB led meme crap
Video Card(s) AMD [ASUS ROG STRIX] Radeon RX Vega64 [OC Edition]
Storage Samsung 970 Pro && 2× Seagate IronWolf Pro 4TB in Raid 1
Display(s) Asus VG278H + Asus VH226H
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black TG
Audio Device(s) Using optical S/PDIF output lol
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i
Mouse Razer Naga Epic
Keyboard Keychron Q1
Software Funtoo Linux
Benchmark Scores 217634.24 BogoMIPS
1. Well, since the primary focus is on the Ultimate version, which has blank keys, key backlight makes no sense – there's nothing to backlight.
2. The Professional version is "we printed 'dem lettahs and shit on the keys for you sissies who aren't man enough to handle the Ultimate version.". And since that means it's just a sissy-centered version of the Ultimate version, see #1

lanceknightnight

For those who want a back light look elsewhere. I have the old unlabeled keyboard and can say it is amazing. The clicking id fun and responsive. But this company started as a solid black keyboard thus LEDs are not part of the projected movement of the company. They have rather moved to using gold in the switches which helps combat corrosion. This makes the longest lasting switches last longer. Just so you know you would probably die before you would wear out a button now you can have your kids get the board and it will still work. The inclusion of metal parts will make this board very stiff and heavy and that is nice given how so many other boards flex and move about. The inclusion of physical volume knob is also nice as I use razor keyboards as well and they include a daughter board that gets loose and the volume control ceases to work. But I do enjoy the Razor as it is back light but a totally different design premise. one is for typing books the other is for typing in games when the lights are out and your hand is on a mouse. If you want a professional or work board go with this company, if you want a gaming and fun board look at one made for that premise. You will be happier if you decide if this keyboard is for you as it is marketed to a specific group which will love a 200 dollar board.

My hint to see if this company is right for you ask if you like or need:
Clicking- like an office in the 80s so you may need to be alone in your office.
endurance- you should have destroyed a few keyboards and had letters stop working
heavy duty- if you did not notice my comment about the keyboard bend and moving about your table you may need to reconsider.
Money- board can be purchased for less then 15 dollars anything over this is extra.
USB3- you need these for this board
volume knob- this is cool. computers use to have these and you miss them.
nerd cred- Yea, this has that.
you like spring resistance- Your fingers bounce on the keys, most boards they stop when you hit the switch part these the switch is half through the movement
finger/joint pain- above states why you will have less finger stress. Carpel tunnel will make you want one.

sc

What's the point in having backlight for a keyboard with blank keycaps?

System Name my box
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi x470 Ultimate
Cooling NZXT Kraken x72
Memory 2×16GiB @ 3200MHz, some Corsair RGB led meme crap
Video Card(s) AMD [ASUS ROG STRIX] Radeon RX Vega64 [OC Edition]
Storage Samsung 970 Pro && 2× Seagate IronWolf Pro 4TB in Raid 1
Display(s) Asus VG278H + Asus VH226H
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black TG
Audio Device(s) Using optical S/PDIF output lol
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i
Mouse Razer Naga Epic
Keyboard Keychron Q1
Software Funtoo Linux
Benchmark Scores 217634.24 BogoMIPS
What's the point in having backlight for a keyboard with blank keycaps?
Exactly my point, lol :D

Also, I like they have a USB 3.0 hub now. As its spec allows more power draw. So I could now plug in two full power USB 2.0 devices without worry. Like, the keyboard to itsef (lol) and a mouse. then use the HUB connection to a computer with a single available USB slot (mostly affect tablets and laptops). While currently, if I use my regular mouse (Razer Naga Epic, which draws relatively a lot of power), stuff starts to act flaky.