• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sony Introduces the World's First 9.1ch Digital Surround Wireless Headphones

Get a cinematic sound experience all to yourself in the comfort of your home with the new MDR-HW700DS digital surround wireless headphones system from Sony. Explosive surround sound is delivered via the world's first 9.1ch digital surround headphones. Adding more depth to the headphones system is a choice of sound effect modes that allow you to optimise the listening quality for movies, gaming or news- and talk shows.

The new "Cinema" mode, produced with the expertise of Sony Pictures Entertainments' very own Academy Award winning Supervising Sound Editor Tom McCarthy, recreates a feeling of being at the cinema. You can enjoy premium detailed uncompressed multi-channel surround sound via the digital wireless transmission that eliminates noise and interference from other devices in the home.

Exclusive to Sony, Virtualphones Technology (VPT) reproduces the soundstage of multi-channel speakers to create an immersive acoustic space with refined and authentic surround sound. In addition to the 5.1ch surround speaker, surround-back (2ch) and front-high speakers (2ch) create a 9.1ch surround sound that delivers a realistic and expressive listening experience. Surrounding you in three dimensional directions creates a sense of depth making you feel a part of a virtual reality at home.

The HDMI connection supports degradation-free sound quality by uncompressed audio transmission. The dual band connection, 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz allow smooth wireless transmission without any disruptions, giving you the freedom to move without having to compromise on sound quality.

The choice of enhanced "Cinema", "Game" and "Voice" selectable effect modes provide completely new and sensational experiences in enjoying a realistic entertainment experience. The "Cinema" mode was created with the support of Sony Pictures Entertainment and its Academy Award winning Supervising Sound Editor Tom McCarthy. This mode ensures an authentic cinema sound experience and virtual sound arena that is based on an analysis of the prestigious sound mixing stages used for the production of major motion pictures. The special mode developed for game fans reproduces accurate sound field developed with the expertise of sound designers of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. Combining the layered sounds of the game with clear voice audio gives "Game" mode a powerful punch. Using this mode gaming becomes a more life-like experience through the sound localisation and balanced output of the right and left channels. The "Voice" effect mode enhances the clarity of speech making watching your favourite TV shows more engaging.

Both good for the eyes and the ears MDR-HW700DS is crafted for a comfortable fit over long periods of use with the pressure-relieving luxury ear cushions. The 50 mm driver units provide deep bass and impressive sound power. Continuous use is no problem with a battery-life of up to 12h and fast recharge. All this is packed in luxurious and executive design. The headphones are outstanding in their compatibility with the 4K technology. The MDR-HW700DS allows native 4K video content to be passed through in its original quality to a 4K TV or projector, allowing you to experience the full 4K quality while listening via the digital surround wireless headphones system.

The Sony new Home Wireless Headphones range has a solution to offer for everyone: the MDR-HW300K with uncompressed digital-wireless transmission as well as the MDR-RF811RK entry-level wireless headphones with 28h battery life.

The new, MDR-HW700DS, MDR-HW300K and MDR-RF811RK wireless headphones systems from Sony are available across Europe from April 2014.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name OLD TRUSTY PC
Processor Intel i3-530 @3.7Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte H55-USB3M
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo
Memory Avexir Core Series 1600Mhz 4GB X 2
Video Card(s) Asus R9270-DC2OC-2GD5
Storage Kingston HyperX 128GB+2TB WD Blue
Display(s) AOC 2236vw
Case Corsair Carbide 200R
Power Supply Acbel 550W 80plus
Software Microsoft 7 Ultimate 64bit
who will introduced 11.1 first next?

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
System Name My Surround PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
Motherboard ASUS STRIX X670E-F
Cooling Swiftech MCP35X / EK Quantum CPU / Alphacool GPU / XSPC 480mm w/ Corsair Fans
Memory 96GB (2 x 48 GB) G.Skill DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Suprim X 24GB
Storage WD SN850 2TB, 2 x 512GB Samsung PM981a, 4 x 4TB HGST NAS HDD for Windows Storage Spaces
Display(s) 2 x Viotek GFI27QXA 27" 4K 120Hz + LG UH850 4K 60Hz + HMD
Case NZXT Source 530
Audio Device(s) Sony MDR-7506 / Logitech Z-5500 5.1
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x 1 kW
Mouse Patriot Viper V560
Keyboard Corsair K100
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Mellanox ConnectX-3 10 Gb/s Fiber Network Card
I've always found the idea of multi-channel headphones (from any manufacturer) a ridiculous marketing ploy. Why do we not just have stereo headphones and DSPs sold separately? That's essentially what multi-channel headphones are. At least with 11.1 home theater receivers, there are actually 12 speakers (regardless of their utility).

System Name HTPC whhaaaat?
Processor 2600k @ 4500mhz
Motherboard Asus Maximus IV gene-z gen3
Cooling Noctua NH-C14
Memory Gskill Ripjaw 2x4gb
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 FTW @ 2037/11016
Storage 2x512GB MX100/1x Agility 3 128gb ssds, Seagate 3TB HDD
Display(s) Vizio P 65'' 4k tv
Case Lian Li pc-c50b
Audio Device(s) Denon 3311
Power Supply Corsair 620HX
Personally, I'm waiting on what's posted below, because of convenience and expected value. I was curious when the wireless surround headphones would really come into their own, and it looks like it will be this year. Yeah, it's dsp magic, but apt-x stock/customized versions (and I'm sure whatever sony is doing) are actually fairly decent.

While I am not trying to advertise, nor am I stating this dsp/simulated surround trend is a good one, I have been waiting for these darn things to launch for a long time, and wouldn't be surprised if it happens this summer. I think stuff like this has a place (especially those of us whom use wireless headphones daily and want something decent-if-gimmicky) and I think anyone that has a pair of R's (or Monoprice-labeled knock-offs) will testify to Bluedio being a under-the-radar darling for making a good-sounding vmoda-like product for a low price, granted with iterative quality (the R has been released three times, and the first/second could break easily, the second/third had a csr chip with apt-x turned off) of both materials and bluetooth support. Looks like they've finally got their stuff together. Just waiting which fraction of the price it will be of the stuff from Sony... :)

System Name OLD TRUSTY PC
Processor Intel i3-530 @3.7Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte H55-USB3M
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo
Memory Avexir Core Series 1600Mhz 4GB X 2
Video Card(s) Asus R9270-DC2OC-2GD5
Storage Kingston HyperX 128GB+2TB WD Blue
Display(s) AOC 2236vw
Case Corsair Carbide 200R
Power Supply Acbel 550W 80plus
Software Microsoft 7 Ultimate 64bit
my god, my comment was meant as a joke... there really is 11.1 headset? mindf***...

Processor Intel Core i7 5930K
Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme [BIOS 1502]
Cooling Corsair H110i GT
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum - 32GB (4x8GB) @ 2666Mhz C15
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Storage Samsung SM951 M.2 512GB
Display(s) ASUS RoG PG278Q
Case Corsair Obsidian 900D
Audio Device(s) Onboard Sound
Power Supply Corsair AX1500i
Mouse Mad Catz R.A.T. 9
Keyboard Logitech G19 v1
Software Windows 7 Professional x64
my god, my comment was meant as a joke... there really is 11.1 headset? mindf***...

You sir, made my day. Thank you very much

System Name HTPC whhaaaat?
Processor 2600k @ 4500mhz
Motherboard Asus Maximus IV gene-z gen3
Cooling Noctua NH-C14
Memory Gskill Ripjaw 2x4gb
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 FTW @ 2037/11016
Storage 2x512GB MX100/1x Agility 3 128gb ssds, Seagate 3TB HDD
Display(s) Vizio P 65'' 4k tv
Case Lian Li pc-c50b
Audio Device(s) Denon 3311
Power Supply Corsair 620HX

Are you talking about what I posted? I know it was a joke, but that's the thing...it is actually kind of interesting if you can get past how ridiculous it appears...especially when you look at the positioning of the speakers.

It's actually really 6 drivers per ear, but yeah. I was kind of responding to a mix of posts regarding cynicism, adding my own, but trying to throw in a dash of hope.

Where Sony is doing dsp with what appears to be 3 speakers (5.1 main speaker + extra back and front), this will essentially be a 5.1 headphone (that in earlier press releases they claimed was built to simulate 7.1 through dsp...that may change before release). Even if their setup doesn't do what they say it will, you throw in stuff like FOT (which I imagine refers to sending the signal twice to reduce noise/increase range), apt-x, wifi/bt, and in my opinion all their sound mix of the R needed (that was three 13mm tweets surrounding a 50mm woof) is what this adds (a little more high-end and filling out the middle, which this appears to do), I'm pretty excited for it. They've been working on it for at least as long as they worked on the R before release, which was 18 months, adding new tech as soon it becomes available and showing them off at trade shows. They released the R iterations on a six-month cycle, approx around 12/12, 6/13, and 12/13 (according to amazon)...So I'm hoping these are available this Summer.

They seem to be a cool 'little' company that moves rapidly to new tech while taking the time to perfect things, and a nice example of while Chinese stuff may sometimes have sub-par build quality, their feature set and over-all use quality can meet or exceed a lot of more established brands for a fraction of the price.

Last edited:

RoostieJDio

I've always found the idea of multi-channel headphones (from any manufacturer) a ridiculous marketing ploy. Why do we not just have stereo headphones and DSPs sold separately? That's essentially what multi-channel headphones are. At least with 11.1 home theater receivers, there are actually 12 speakers (regardless of their utility).

That's exactly what this is, it's just not made very clear in the article. It's a DSP box that connects to your equipment via HDMI and supports a range of wireless stereo headphones. These have been out for a while in Japan already.