• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Gains, Nvidia Flat, and AMD Loses Graphics Market Share in Q1

Jon Peddie Research (JPR), the industry's research and consulting firm for graphics and multimedia, announced estimated graphics chip shipments and suppliers' market share for 2014 1Q. For the previous three quarters, the PC graphics market has gone up. This was the first quarter to show a decrease in shipments since last. Shipments were down 11.6% quarter-to-quarter, and down 4% compared to the same quarter last year.

Quick highlights:
  • AMD's overall unit shipments decreased 18.2% quarter-to-quarter, Intel's total shipments decreased 7.9% from last quarter, and Nvidia's decreased 10.4%.
  • The attach rate of GPUs to PCs for the quarter was 135% and 33% of PCs had discrete GPUs, which means 67% of the PCs are using the embedded graphics in the CPU.
  • The overall PC market decreased 9% quarter-to-quarter, and decreased 3.5% year-to-year.

Q1 is typically the quarter when retailers try to unload what they bought for the holiday season that they didn't sell, and is traditionally seasonably lower than previous quarters. The drop this quarter compared to last year's and is not alarming.

GPUs are traditionally a leading indicator of the market, since a GPU goes into every system before it is shipped, and most of the PC vendors are guiding down to flat for Q2'14. The Gaming PC segment, where higher-end GPUs are used, was a bright spot in the market in Q1. Both Nvidia and AMD said sales of their higher-end GPUs were strong, lifting the ASPs for the discrete GPU market.

The popularity of tablets and the slow but steady economic improvement are the most often mentioned reasons for the decline in the PC market, particularly at the lower-end. The CAGR for total PC graphics from 2014 to 2017 is basically flat. We expect the total shipments of graphics chips in 2017 to be 400.8 million units. In 2013, 447 million GPUs were shipped and the forecast for 2014 is 399 million.

The ten-year average change for graphics shipments for quarter-to-quarter is a growth of -2.8%, and this quarter was -11.6%.

The quarter in general
  • AMD's shipments of desktop heterogeneous GPU/CPUs, i.e., APUs dropped 21.9% from the previous quarter, and increased 3.7% in notebooks. AMD's discrete desktop shipments decreased 6.6% and notebook discrete shipments declined 21.8%. . The company's overall PC graphics shipments decreased 18.2%. This was due to a drop off in stand-alone integrated graphics chipsets, which was not unexpected given the company's move to embedded CPU graphics in their APUs.
  • Intel's desktop processor embedded graphics (EPGs) shipments decreased from last quarter by 5.1%, and notebooks decreased by 9.7%. The company's overall PC graphics shipments decreased 7.9%.
  • Nvidia's desktop discrete shipments decreased 6.6% from last quarter; and, the company's notebook discrete shipments decreased 14.5%. The company's overall PC graphics shipments decreased 10.4%.
  • Year-to-year this quarter AMD's overall PC shipments decreased 22.1%, Intel decreased 5.6%, Nvidia decreased 12.7%, and others essentially went away.
  • Total discrete GPU (desktop and notebook) shipments from the last quarter decreased 11.5% and decreased 14.3% from last year for the same quarter due to the same problems plaguing the overall PC industry. Overall, the trend for discrete GPUs increased with a CAGR from 2014 to 2017 of 0.1%.
  • Ninety nine percent of Intel's non-server processors have graphics, and over 67% of AMD's non-server processors contain integrated graphics; AMD still ships integrated graphics chipsets (IGPs).

Year-to-year for the quarter, the graphics market decreased. Shipments were down 4 million units from this quarter last year, which suggests the big declines are leveling off.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name my box
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi x470 Ultimate
Cooling NZXT Kraken x72
Memory 2×16GiB @ 3200MHz, some Corsair RGB led meme crap
Video Card(s) AMD [ASUS ROG STRIX] Radeon RX Vega64 [OC Edition]
Storage Samsung 970 Pro && 2× Seagate IronWolf Pro 4TB in Raid 1
Display(s) Asus VG278H + Asus VH226H
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black TG
Audio Device(s) Using optical S/PDIF output lol
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i
Mouse Razer Naga Epic
Keyboard Keychron Q1
Software Funtoo Linux
Benchmark Scores 217634.24 BogoMIPS
Wait a sec... AMD still has more market share than Nvidia? AHAHAHAHA!!!! Excellent... >:]

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
First AMD releases a congratulatory article saying they've driven GPU pricing down to the MSRP pricing. Next, an article is released saying GPU shipments are down. Anyone else seeing the simple math here?

I like AMD, but asking for praise while experiencing a dip in sales is a bit sad.

First AMD releases a congratulatory article saying they've driven GPU pricing down to the MSRP pricing. Next, an article is released saying GPU shipments are down. Anyone else seeing the simple math here?

I like AMD, but asking for praise while experiencing a dip in sales is a bit sad.

What most folks don't understand is Intel's sales are from chips with integrated graphics, i.e. APUs only where as AMD and Nvidia are AIBs and also via APUs for AMD. People buying many of the Intel APUs are not using the IG, they just want the CPU.

Processor AMD FX-8320
Motherboard AsRock 970 PRO3 R2.0
Cooling Thermalright Ultra120 eXtreme + 2 LED Green fans
Memory 2 x 4096 MB DDR3-1333 A-Data
Video Card(s) SAPPHIRE 4096M R9 FURY X 4G D5
Storage ST1000VX000 • SV35.6 Series™ 1000 GB 7200 rpm
Display(s) Acer S277HK wmidpp 27" 4K (3840 x 2160) IPS
Case Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus Black + Red Lights
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek
Power Supply OCZ ProXStream 1000W
Mouse Genius NetScroll 100X
Keyboard Logitech Wave
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
What most folks don't understand is Intel's sales are from chips with integrated graphics, i.e. APUs only where as AMD and Nvidia are AIBs and also via APUs for AMD. People buying many of the Intel APUs are not using the IG, they just want the CPU.

And this would mean that we should dismiss or ignore these statistics because they are not representative of customers' real needs and wants. ;)

Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Coolermaster Master Liquid ML240L RGB
Memory 64GB DDR4 3200 (4x16GB)
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Display(s) Asus VE276Q, VE278Q and VK278Q triple 27” 1920x1080
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic 650W
VR HMD Oculus Rift, Oculus Quest V1, Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 64bit

The vast majority of processor sales are attributed to OEMS which in tern equate to whole computer sales. While it is true that many people buy computer components and build their own or upgrade components like the processor this is not how the bulk of processors or sold.

So in the larger scheme of whole PC sales (desktop / mobile) much like tablet x86 / x64 PC sales people use whatever the system comes with and many don't consider it an Intel APU sale or even necessarily care all that much about the graphics. Many people are using Intel graphics and may not necessarily even know it any more then they could tell you about the graphics subsystem of their ARM based smart phone or tablet.

Perhaps you should read my reply, and the article that the OP posted.

They've broken down the relationship between APU, IGPU, and discrete graphics cards. None of this is rocket science, given that it is all already listed.

My comment was based on the following link: http://www.techpowerup.com/200865/amd-radeon-r9-series-prices-cool-down.html

AMD has patted themselves on the back for decreasing the sales price of discrete GPUs. They fail to mention the flagging sales figures, the bust of the crypto-currency markets, or even their ability to finally manufacture to demand. My point was that AMD is bragging about their accomplishment, while the industry is experiencing a regular down-turn in sales. Patting ones self on the back during this seems to be a bit arrogant or misguided.

System Name Desktop
Processor i5 3570k
Motherboard Asrock Z77
Cooling Corsair H60
Memory G Skill 8gb 1600 mhz X 2
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon 7850 X 2
Storage 1 TB Velociraptor, 240GB 840 Samsung
Display(s) 27" Samsung LED X 2
Case Thermaltake V9
Power Supply Seasonic 620 W, CX600M on stand by
Software Win 8.1 64
Benchmark Scores Benches are silly
And this would mean that we should dismiss or ignore these statistics because they are not representative of customers' real needs and wants. ;)

I hope you realize that Most laptops are Intel CPUs. Of those, most do not come with discrete graphics. Conclusively, you can say most Intel graphics are utilized to their full extent.

That doesn't mean Intel's graphics is worth anything.

Last edited: