• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EVGA Allegedly Cuts Out Original Developer of Precision Overclocking App

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
EVGA allegedly violated the license agreement it held with the original developer of its Precision overclocking and monitoring app, when it developed the latest version of its Precision X 15 app, featuring what it claimed to be a "100 percent in-house" back-end code. EVGA Precision was originally based on RivaTuner codebase, which developer Alex "Unwinder" Nicolaychuk licences out to several major VGA add-in board manufacturers; the more popular being MSI Afterburner. The RivaTuner base, derived from Unwinder's pioneering VGA tweaking app, forms a vast majority of the code of the likes of Precision and Afterburner, with clients going only as far as to innovate shiny skins and UI ideas, or add-on features (ideas), which are then put into code by Unwinder.

Unwinder alleges that the latest version of Precision X, the one EVGA claims to be an in-house development, continues to be largely based on RivaTuner, including the more superficial bits of it, such as user interface dialog control IDs (the way the app takes inputs from the user), and text from the multilingual help system. The installer in which Precision X is packaged, ironically, continues to feature the licence agreement copied over from the older version.

Unwinder states:
The most sad and painful thing for me is that the company entirely copy-pasted RivaTuner's unique concepts of displaying data into On-Screen Display. RivaTuner Statistics Server was the first tool in the industry that introduced the concept of in-game hardware monitoring via OSD back in 2005, I spent almost than 10 years on polishing it. And most sad thing for me is that original Precision was not supposed to include such functionality, so it is not included in development budget and royalty fees. I added RTSS to Precision in one of the first versions completely free of any licensing fees just to help the company to promote new tool and it truly became one of the most important application features. So it was used during more than 5 years completely free (and the company was never brave to admit that) and in final they originally "thanked" for free OSD usage by stealing it. EVGA's brand new "in-house" OSD is also open a simple rip of open source FW1FontWrapper overlay. And If I were the developer of FW1FontWrapper, I'd read the story of RTSS and think 1000 times about it.

EVGA, in response to the allegations, maintained that "no code was copied," and that it doesn't see a wrongdoing in keeping the user interface consistent (UI) with older versions, since the UI is "100 percent designed by EVGA." It stated:

The original Precision was always a joint effort anyways, some elements were designed by EVGA others were licensed like the RTSS server, and many features were added because EVGA requested it. In this new version we rebuilt all back-end code from scratch. This will allow us to continue to add more features in the future, and not be bound by any "exclusivities."

There has been no public release of Precision X 15, yet, and so we cannot verify claims from either side.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Probably should have expected to get ripped off. This is the world we live in, companies are just out to steal other people's work and crush them under the weight of expensive legal action.

Well done EVGA. How pathetic is it to steal something that was free for your company.

My favorite is where EVGA "blames" Unwinder because he didn't implement features that they recommended for them but them they mysteriously (<-my wording) appeared in Afterburner. So they think that features should be added because they simply ask for it. Here's an idea EVGA, how about you pay for it? That's usually how you get people to do work for you. Oh, the feature? 64bit overlay because it was needed for BF4. Like Unwinder, and apparently MSI, needed EVGA to tell them it needed that?

They really really needed to think more before responding. They started off with egg on their faces, now they've put both feet in their mouths with their excuse on why they did an end around on the dev..

System Name Mein pride und joy
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard GigaByte Aorus X570 Elite
Cooling Cryorig H7 Ultra
Memory Kingston HyperX DDR4 16GB CL15
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX5700 Pulse
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256 / Samsung 860 Evo 500 / Seagate 1TB
Display(s) BenQ XL2430T
Case Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Asus Xonar AE
Power Supply Seasonic SSR-650RM
Software Windows 10 x64
Oh how the mighty have fallen.

System Name Obelisc
Processor i7 3770k @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling H110
Memory 16GB(4x4) @ 2400 MHz 9-11-11-31
Video Card(s) GTX 780 Ti
Storage 850 EVO 1TB, 2x 5TB Toshiba
Case T81
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium HD
Power Supply EVGA 850 T2 80+ TITANIUM
Software Win10 64bit
I never really got why EVGA and MSI seem so stingy with compensating this guy for work and getting the features they want added in. Especially since they had to pay somebody else to develop this. I can however understand one of these companies wanting to get away from that dev. Whether you're a big or small company you want very measured and professional interactions with customers no matter how obnoxious they are and that's not always what you get with unwinder.

System Name All Switched Up
Processor Intel Core i9-9900k @ 5.0GHz
Motherboard ASUS Z390 Maximus XI Hero Wi-Fi w/ EK monoblock
Cooling Custom EK Watercooling loop - 2x 360 | 1x 240 Rads
Memory 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 3200MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra w/ EK Quantum Vector Waterblock + Active Backplate
Storage 1x Samsung 2TB M.2 NVMe SSD - 2x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD - 1x Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD
Display(s) Viewsonix XG270QG Elite 1440p x2
Case Lian Li O11Dynamic XL - White
Audio Device(s) ifi Zen CAN/DAC | Mayflower Objective2 + ODAC | Sennheiser HD 6XX | HiFiMan HE-5XX
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P6 Platinum
Mouse Glorious Model O Wireless | Model D
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Pro w/ Holy Panda's
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores yes
I have been using EVGA product for many years, dating back to GeForce 2 Ti way back in the day. I've been pretty a pretty loyal EVGA customer over the years. I'm kinda curious to see how this is going to play out in the end.. Been using the new PrecisionX 15 as of today, and so far, I like it.. a bit buggy with some games, but I guess being EVGA's first 'full' release, it's a given. Guess we'll see how this play out.. I still plan on supporting EVGA products whatever the outcome.

PrecisionX 15 is now available btw from EVGA.com.

Processor Intel i7 6700k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 7
Cooling Nocuta nh-d14
Memory Patriot 16GB
Video Card(s) Gibabyte GeForce GTX 1080Ti
Storage (system) Corsair 120GB Force GT, (games) 500GB 840, (data) Seagate 1TB Barracuda + WD 1TB Black
Display(s) AOC AG271QG
Case NZXT Phantom
Power Supply Corsair ax1200i
Mouse g502
Keyboard G710+
Software Win10

Last edited:
Processor Intel
Motherboard MSI
Cooling Cooler Master
Memory Corsair
Video Card(s) Nvidia
Storage Samsung/Western Digital/ADATA
Display(s) Samsung
Case Thermaltake
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic
Mouse A4TECH
Keyboard UniKey
Software Windows 10 x64
Well, why create something new when you can borrow?

AMD’s UAV Ordering is basically a copy of Intel’s PixelSync

AMD Gaming Evolved is slowly receiving all features from GeForce Experience

So you think it's politics? Or EVGA is driven by patriotism? Seems like EVGA was PO'd because MSI got a feature before they did.
Well, these are only allegations we don't know all details yet, don't start spitting acid flame war. Maybe he just run out of money and now his butt hurts with empty pockets or something or maybe there is something else behind it all. There are always two ends of a stick. Also he is russian and on the other end you've got an American company. In light of "current" global circumstances, it draws a picture really. All I know if this is an open source code licensed and deployed to/for a specific entity, it (the end user/entity) ownes bits and pieces of your IP and has further rights for own development of it. In fairness lines of code are always there to "use", aren't they?

So you think it's politics? Or EVGA is driven by patriotism? Seems like EVGA was PO'd because MSI got a feature before they did.

EVGA got pissed because a competitor got all the features and EVGA with a lesser contract (THAT THEY MADE) with less pay didn't. In the end they got those features for free and still safted the developer.

System Name Commercial towing vehicle "Nostromo"
Processor 5800X3D
Motherboard X570 Unify
Cooling EK-AIO 360
Memory 32 GB Fury 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) 4070 Ti Eagle
Storage SN850 NVMe 1TB + Renegade NVMe 2TB + 870 EVO 4TB
Display(s) 25" Legion Y25g-30
Case Lian Li LanCool 216 v2
Audio Device(s) B & W PX7 S2e
Power Supply HX1500i
Mouse Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition
Keyboard Scope II 96 Wireless
Software Windows 11 23H2
Processor Intel i7 6700k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 7
Cooling Nocuta nh-d14
Memory Patriot 16GB
Video Card(s) Gibabyte GeForce GTX 1080Ti
Storage (system) Corsair 120GB Force GT, (games) 500GB 840, (data) Seagate 1TB Barracuda + WD 1TB Black
Display(s) AOC AG271QG
Case NZXT Phantom
Power Supply Corsair ax1200i
Mouse g502
Keyboard G710+
Software Win10

Well when it comes to $$$ I don't think any reason/action would fully justify or explain both parties actions. It might be even that EVGA wanted some feature(s), from dev Alexey, they made their proposal, he named his price, they refused as it wasn't justified and EVGA said: hey wait a minute we are so long in this business we don't actually need you, we'll do it ourselves. ...and so they did, this is what actually happens a lot in this business and to be honest is an unwritten rule. Also who knows if the political tensions hasn't got anything to do with it - I'd say yes, in a very minor way but tensions between those 2 (USA vs RU) are high....

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> ... nope still the same :'(
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
I have been using EVGA product for many years, dating back to GeForce 2 Ti way back in the day. I've been pretty a pretty loyal EVGA customer over the years. I'm kinda curious to see how this is going to play out in the end.. Been using the new PrecisionX 15 as of today, and so far, I like it.. a bit buggy with some games, but I guess being EVGA's first 'full' release, it's a given. Guess we'll see how this play out.. I still plan on supporting EVGA products whatever the outcome.

PrecisionX 15 is now available btw from EVGA.com.

You come across like you are on their payroll so badly with that man, urgg
Nice integrity you have supporting them whatever happens, up your standards pls.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
I really hope Alex gets legal council on this. I won't be buying any EVGA products now.

System Name panda
Processor 6700k
Motherboard sabertooth s
Cooling raystorm block<black ice stealth 240 rad<ek dcc 18w 140 xres
Memory 32gb ripjaw v
Video Card(s) 290x gamer<ntzx g10<antec 920
Storage 950 pro 250gb boot 850 evo pr0n
Display(s) QX2710LED@110hz lg 27ud68p
Case 540 Air
Audio Device(s) nope
Power Supply 750w superflower
Mouse g502
Keyboard shine 3 with grey, black and red caps
Software win 10
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/marsey99/
i hope unwinder fucks them, too.

w1z you ever had anything like this?

I'd say yes, in a very minor way but tensions between those 2 (USA vs RU) are high....

I think everyone is overestimating how much work is done in the US and not actually in Taiwan (like all other companies) when it comes to R&D and Product Management. "Patriotism" is a moot point in this discussion if you consider all of these companies do their R&D in Taiwan.

System Name PC2.1
Processor Intel i7 3770k @4.6GHZ
Motherboard MSI Z68A-GD80
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 16GB Corsair XMS 1866MHz
Video Card(s) SLI EVGA 780 Classifieds
Storage Samsung 830 250gb /Samsung EVO 840 120GB
Display(s) 3x Dell 27" IPS screens
Case Thermaltake T81 Urban
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Software Windows 8.1 64bit
I tried the new X15 version, it caused some odd problems for me, Outlook Express keep crashing, Titan Fall was getting 0-2 fps could not get a game to launch.

After reading all this sounds like EVGA has went down hill!

System Name [H]arbringer
Processor 4x 61XX ES @3.5Ghz (48cores)
Motherboard SM GL
Cooling 3x xspc rx360, rx240, 4x DT G34 snipers, D5 pump.
Memory 16x gskill DDR3 1600 cas6 2gb
Video Card(s) blah bigadv folder no gfx needed
Storage 32GB Sammy SSD
Display(s) headless
Case Xigmatek Elysium (whats left of it)
Audio Device(s) yawn
Power Supply Antec 1200w HCP
Software Ubuntu 10.10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1780855 http://www.hwbot.org/submission/2158678 http://ww
I really hope Alex gets legal council on this. I won't be buying any EVGA products now.

I kinda hope MSI just hires him and as much as I hate the idea... closes the source on his other tools.
So long as MSI continues to offer its for free... little to no damage done to the community while screwing EVGA over. Don't continue to give them code.

System Name Dell-y Driver
Processor Core i5-10400
Motherboard Asrock H410M-HVS
Cooling Intel 95w stock cooler
Memory 2x8 A-DATA 2999Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) UHD 630
Storage 1TB WD Green M.2 - 4TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) Asus PA248 1920x1200 IPS
Case Dell Vostro 270S case
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Dell 220w
Software Windows 10 64bit
The EULA for Presicion X 15 is the same as Rivatuner's. The EULA even references Unwinder :laugh: 100% inhouse development my ass. EVGA must truly think we're all idiots.

The sad part is that I'm sure EVGA won't get anything bad from this. Yeah, a few of us might decide to not buy EVGA cards in the future but I don't think that'd make even a 1% dent in their revenue :( That's why companies have zero qualms about doing stuff like this, what can Unwinder do? He's in Russia and pursuing a legal case in the USA is surely out of his reach ($$$).

System Name [H]arbringer
Processor 4x 61XX ES @3.5Ghz (48cores)
Motherboard SM GL
Cooling 3x xspc rx360, rx240, 4x DT G34 snipers, D5 pump.
Memory 16x gskill DDR3 1600 cas6 2gb
Video Card(s) blah bigadv folder no gfx needed
Storage 32GB Sammy SSD
Display(s) headless
Case Xigmatek Elysium (whats left of it)
Audio Device(s) yawn
Power Supply Antec 1200w HCP
Software Ubuntu 10.10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1780855 http://www.hwbot.org/submission/2158678 http://ww
The EULA for Presicion X 15 is the same as Rivatuner's. The EULA even references Unwinder :laugh: 100% inhouse development my ass. EVGA must truly think we're all idiots.

The sad part is that I'm sure EVGA won't get anything bad from this. Yeah, a few of us might decide to not buy EVGA cards in the future but I don't think that'd make even a 1% dent in their revenue :( That's why companies have zero qualms about doing stuff like this, what can Unwinder do? He's in Russia and pursuing a legal case in the USA is surely out of his reach ($$$).

Have you seen the price on their cards.... Yes, yes they do.

and as we have seen in this thread... their followers are cultish and don't care if they steal from others.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
I tried the new X15 version, it caused some odd problems for me, Outlook Express keep crashing, Titan Fall was getting 0-2 fps could not get a game to launch.
That happens when you don't know how to code an OSD

I've always found eVGA to be shady in their marketing. Sounds like it's spreading throughout the company's whole business...