• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA GTX870M 6GB mobile graphic issue

System Name DESKTOP-DFEPB9I :D
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X @ 4.5GHz all cores full time, 1.225V
Motherboard ROG Strix B550 E - gaming
Cooling Silverstone Permafrost 240mm Radiator
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 3600MHz (4x8GB)
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 3080 Trinity
Storage Primary: Samsung Evo 970 500GB,Secondary: Samsung Evo 970 500GB + Samsung Evo 850 250GB
Display(s) Gigabyte G27Q 27" 1440p 144Hz 1ms IPS, FreeSync Premium + Gsync
Case Antec DP502 FLUX
Audio Device(s) Asus Supreme FX on board
Power Supply Corsair RM750W (2019)
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro RGB
Keyboard Corsair K70 V2 Cherry MX Brown
Software Windows10 Pro x64
Hello good people! So I have been of the gaming radar for about 3y now,though still have my beloved gaming rig,which I have to get rid of at some point though,you know busy life and stuff..decided to sell my aging laptop and the mentioned gaming rig and buy a beast of a gaming laptop,in order to save room and get back to some gaming here and there...You dont want to know how long I was thinking choosing,researching and even though I did have the funds didnt fancy pay all of the £1200 at once,so I opted for the best possible option: buy it on finance(zero interest and only company I could find to offer brilliant option of freely pay in bits anytime and any amount,as long you pay back within a year!:).Now,for those living in the UK,the company Novatech may be well know...sorry for the long introduction :)

Soo the facts: finally decided for this baby,custom built on Clevo P17SA1 chasis,17" full HD laptop,with 4th generation Core i7 4710MQ @ standard 2.5GHz,Intel HD 4600 integrated graphic,16GB Crucial Memory @ 1600MHz,128GB SSD Sandisk X110,750GB WD Caviar Black 7200rpm,and finally the reason of my whole thread - GTX 870M with 6GB memory...

The issue is the following: It just happen to not to run any heavy 3D apps,in our case games of course :),at all...any 3D Heavy game I try to run,simply wont start and the screen hangs at very dark grey,almost black screen,while hdd noticeably running,and the system perfectly freeze free...I have tried just about anything,obviously new to older drivers,back and fort..First I though they somehow connecting something wrong way...the graphic card seems healthy,with standard temps,I just run a stress bench and it indeed undergoes the full load stress,no freezing..tried mess around with the nvidia,load custom settings for each game (So far tried Bad Company 2,BF3 and Unigine Heaven benchmark,all fail to run everytime....here comes the interesting fact #1 - can run Diablo 3 maxed out to the roof and boy,does it look sweet,hehe...and I also managed to run with no problem Counter Strike:Source,purely for the testing purpose.....both tested with nvidia inspector and showing propper load signs on the nvidia chip,which means it runs the game.Initially though they run cos the Intel HD 4600 is handling them...interesting facts #2 - when I disable the GTX870M under device manager,the games will run,at very bad performance though..(EDIT here: meant the games that did not run previously..)I think this is the most important observation,as I think this will rule out the faulty chip option,since Diablo 3 runs so beatifully......Soo friends,what do you think? anyone with similar issues with similar gaming laptop specs? maybe another thing on the note,in nvidia control panel settings,the whole usual section regarding to screen and video setting stuff is missing.also in the bit where you are setting which graphics card will control the PhysX,the GTX870M doesnt indicate any output..or input?,whatever it is...Could they at the assemble line connect something wrong way after all?? As I sayd before,I do believe after extensive testing and research that the graphics card is healthy..

Last edited:
System Name Matter's / Helios 300 Predator
Processor Ryzen 7 2700 / i7 7700HQ
Motherboard B450 Tomahawk / Acer Helios 300 Predator
Cooling Arctic Freezer eSports Duo
Memory Patriot Viper ddr4 32gb / 32gb gskill ddr4
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 Super Ventus OC / GTX 1060 6gb
Storage Patriot Viper nvme M2, crucial MX300 275gb, Samsung 860 qvo 1tb
Display(s) Acer 24" 1080p / 15.6 1080p HD
Case Antec 300 / Acer Helios 300 Predator
Audio Device(s) On Board - Steel Series Arctis Pro Wireless Cans
Power Supply Antec 850watt high current pro
Mouse Steel series Rival 600
Keyboard Corsair K70 / Acer Helios 300 Predator
Software Win 10 Pro / Win 10 Home
I would enable the 870M restart laptop and go into bios and disable the intel hd 4600 onboard video card from there. Restart the laptop and try again. Take a swing at that and see what happens. Make sure you have the latest drivers from NVidia and all of your settings have the 870M as the main or primary display adapter. Good Luck

System Name DESKTOP-DFEPB9I :D
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X @ 4.5GHz all cores full time, 1.225V
Motherboard ROG Strix B550 E - gaming
Cooling Silverstone Permafrost 240mm Radiator
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 3600MHz (4x8GB)
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 3080 Trinity
Storage Primary: Samsung Evo 970 500GB,Secondary: Samsung Evo 970 500GB + Samsung Evo 850 250GB
Display(s) Gigabyte G27Q 27" 1440p 144Hz 1ms IPS, FreeSync Premium + Gsync
Case Antec DP502 FLUX
Audio Device(s) Asus Supreme FX on board
Power Supply Corsair RM750W (2019)
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro RGB
Keyboard Corsair K70 V2 Cherry MX Brown
Software Windows10 Pro x64
Thanks,thats the trouble,I have no such settings in the bios :( interersting is that actually in bios,only the GTX 870M is listed.I was trying hard to find a bios update for this chasis from clevo..anyone could help out?

EDIT: I will soon get back to the shop where purchased.could it be the supplied power supply? for such video cards the laptops need a special massive one..I was thinking if that is not faulty at all? But the thing is,Diablo 3 makes the card load at around 60% , that should be enough to start to suck heavy power from the supply?.. naaaah but again,yesterday I did run the stress bench and the card was loaded at 99% for over 15 minutes..this will be some stupid software issue..hopefully just..

Last edited: