• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Seagate Ships 10 Millionth Solid-State Hybrid Drive

Seagate Technology plc, a worldwide leader in storage solutions, today announced that it has shipped its 10 millionth solid-state hybrid hard drive (SSHD). Seagate pioneered the world's first SSHD and has experienced rising demand over the last two years for these solutions that offer the speed of SSDs combined with the industry's highest storage capacities.

SSHDs typically deliver three to four times the performance of traditional hard drives in typical PC workloads, which has been a key factor driving adoption with the leading PC vendors, worldwide. Combining its expertise in both flash and hard disk drive technologies, Seagate's SSHDs deliver a powerful mix of performance and capacity that is optimized to handle the most demanding requirements of both today's IT organizations and consumers alike. Today, the demand for systems integrating SSHDs is being fuelled by the explosive data growth from mobile applications, cloud infrastructures, social media, business applications and a wide variety of consumer markets.

"We are seeing growing demand for our SSHDs from the world's leading PC manufacturers," said Scott Horn, vice president of global marketing, Seagate. "Hybrid technology is proving to be what we always thought it would be - the ultimate combination of high-performance and capacity needs with the price point that's right for both budget constrained IT organizations and consumers. This achievement is also a reflection of the continued commitment from our dedicated employees whose relentless dedication and personal pride continue to be the fabric of this company."

"Solid State Hybrid drives continue to be an economical alternative to pure SSDs for PC users seeking to improve PC system responsiveness. This dynamic is being translated into an industry growth rate exceeding 400% from Seagate's FY2013 to FY2014," said Dave Reinsel, IDC's group vice president for storage and semiconductors, "Seagate is in a strong position to capitalize on this growth given its leadership position and favorable supply chain dynamics." For more information on Seagate's Hybrid solution and more please visit www.seagate.com/solutions/solid-state-hybrid/.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Game Raver
Processor Core i7-770K
Motherboard ASRock Z170A-X1
Cooling Coolermaster AIO
Memory 16gb
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage 1TB Crucial SSD. 4TB Seagate HDD
Display(s) AOC 1080p 144Hz
Case NZXT Phantom 410 /w/ Silverstone FN121P-BL fans
Audio Device(s) ASUS Essence STX
Power Supply Corsair AX760
My friend loves these things, after a couple runtimes in BF4 the next maps loads in under 5 seconds.

System Name ChaosMoes
Processor Intel® Core™ i5-3570K no OC yet
Motherboard Asrock Z77 Extreme4
Cooling Scythe Ninja 3 Rev. B
Memory 16GB 2xPatriot DIMM 8 GB DDR3-1866 Kit (PV38G186C9KRD, Viper 3 Venom Red)
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 590 Phantom Gaming X 8GB GDDR5 188€@13.07.19 Amazon Sale
Storage Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256GB, + ST32000645NS Seagate Constellation 109€ reichelt.de 2012
Display(s) 27" Phillips PHL 276E9Q 189€ @ Saturn(Germany) 1.09.2018
Case Zaria A20 !!!THANK YOU TECHPOWERUP.COM!!!
Audio Device(s) onboard Sound
Power Supply SeaSonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Microsoft SideWinder X4 Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THAT

Hey Seagate, why does my first SSHD 2,5" Seagate 320Gb Momentus XT still have issues? it klicks and farts all day long!!

i think it would be nice to give users more control over the ssd cache than market it like: " its more intelligent than you"

NO its not when it caches my old files !!

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I've got two SSHDs and I love them. The 2.5" drive in my HTPC is super fast, boots to Windows just as fast as my machines with SSDs in them.

I do wish they put a larger SSD on the 3.5" variant though. I'd like to see the next generation have 16GB on the 2.5" drives and 32GB on the 3.5".

Processor Core i5-3350P @3.5GHz
Motherboard MSI Z77MA-G45 (uATX)
Cooling Stock Intel
Memory 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) |Ξ \/ G /\ GeForce GTX 670 FTW+ 4GB w/Backplate, Part Number: 04G-P4-3673-KR, ASIC 68.5%
Storage some cheap seagates and one wd green
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp U2412M
Case some cheap old eurocase, black, with integrated cheap lit lcd for basic monitoring
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Enermax Triathlor 550W ETA550AWT bronze, non-modular, airflow audible over 300W power draw
Mouse PMSG1G
Keyboard oldschool membrane Keytronic 104 Key PS/2 (big enter, right part of right shift broken into "\" key)
I've got two SSHDs and I love them. The 2.5" drive in my HTPC is super fast, boots to Windows just as fast as my machines with SSDs in them.

I do wish they put a larger SSD on the 3.5" variant though. I'd like to see the next generation have 16GB on the 2.5" drives and 32GB on the 3.5".

you nailed it. the reason i havent bought an sshd is my fear that the mlc nand cache wouldnt last reasonably long enough for me to enjoy the responsiveness of that drive.. i have been buying seagates since 1997, and still have the 2,5" 2500MB medalist in my drawer. i usually intend to use them 5-10 years if capacity suffices. but unless seagate provides a report regarding the longevity without degradation in parameters, sadly i cannot put my trust in this product. the next logical step is to go buy a crucial ssd m550 or at least mx100 as slc durable drives are terribly expensive and out ofreach for a regular user.