• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GIGABYTE Sneakily Attacks ASUS & MSI X99 Motherboards

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my Spanish friends, a shop owner just shared an information about what gigabyte is taking advantage of the recent issues happened on the products of its competitors- ASUS Deluxe & MSI SLI PLUS.

The rough translation shows below . I personally think it is really immortal that a “leading manufacturer” takes such actions when those defective boards are confirmed as isolated incidents by both media editors and board makers. Poor ASUS & MSI.

Update from Phoronix

“The MSI X99S SLI PLUS Is Working & Running Well On Linux. After extensive investigation by the parties involved, it looks like this was a rare, isolated incident and the replacement motherboard is working under Linux without fault.”

Update on Legitreviews

ASUS is needing more time to discuss what they have found out with Corsair before making a public statement. We have been told that it will be another day or two until they will be able to say something. It sounds like some issues have been found during testing and the results are being looked into by both companies.

Recent comments in the media about certain providers based X99 boards burn CPU, GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY Co. Ltd., a leading manufacturer of motherboards, wants to clarify the following points:

V3-for LGA2011 X99 motherboards

1. GIGABYTE believes it is best to use the LGA2011 socket-V3 certificate Intel certified design and manufacturing best X99 boards to prevent any possible damage to the CPU hardware or user.

2. Motherboard manufacturers have a responsibility protect its users about the potential risks when unsocket that has not been certified or endorsed by Intel officially used.

GIGABYTE X99 Performance

So far the X99 baseGIGABYTE plates continue to push the performance limits by setting several new world records with the LGA2011 socket Intel-V3 certificate.

Strengths GIGABYTE

GIGABYTE has led to the innovation motherboards including the quality, durability and performance from the first introduction of GIGABYTE Ultra Durable motherboard GIGABYTE in 2006, and continuing to push innovation with unique features such as audio technology of GIGABYTE AMP UP

System Name Casual Movie Rig
Processor Intel i7-4790K
Motherboard ASUS Z97-Deluxe
Cooling NZXT Kraken X61 280mm All-In-One Water / Liquid CPU Cooling Solution
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB DDR3 1866MHz CL9
Video Card(s) None yet
Storage SSD Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SATA-III 2.5 inch | WD VelociRaptor 1TB SATA-III 10000 RPM 64MB
Display(s) BenQ Professional Gaming XL2430T 24 inch 1ms GTG black
Case NZXT Phantom 820 Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) None
Power Supply Corsair AXi Digital AX860i
Software Windows 8.1 PRO 64bit English Retail
well.. gigabyte can kiss my ass... on some of their boards the dual channel memory isn't working :)))
and yeah, i've got this year a asus mobo burned and cpu.. but it was on z97 platform and yes was using corsair dominator...

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gigabyte has not done anything per your post and links, except (per that email), state their boards are using quality certified Intel parts (socket) and no where do I see a slam of ASUS or MSI.
Your post makes no sense to me, as, Gigabyte is insuring it's customers of it's stance.

Maybe, I am missing something here; but, after reading your links... it seems ASUS is passing the problem off on Corsair's PSU and Corsair is looking into it.
No mention of Gigabyte at either link.

Seems like another "hate <insert company> rant post.

It used to be nice when this was a tech forum; and, if someone had a problem with a company... they actually tested for it and then posted the facts and their results.

And, where did that email come from anyways?

I guess I am missing something in the translation. I don't know... finished my rant.

^+1
I speak Spanish and it is nothing inmoral (or "inmortal" as the OP puts it, haha). Just praising of GB products.

BTW, I once bought a GB board that developed leaking caps in short time. Never bought GB again for a long long time...

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro

Seems like more clickbait from unscrupulous tech journalism sites to me, and it's really starting to pickle my noodles.

Also this is not the first time this guy has posted an "OMG LOOK AT THIS SHOCKING TERRIFYING NEWS. OH THINK OF THE CHILDREN" thread, so yeah, take what he says with a metric gorillionne of salt.

System Name Gen2
Processor Ryzen R9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair Viii Hero Wifi
Cooling Lian Li 360 Galahad
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 64gb @ 3600 Mhz CL14-13-13-24 1T @ 1.45V
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 6900 XT Nitro+
Storage Seagate 520 1TB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB + lots of HDD's
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G7
Case Lian Li PC-O11D XL White
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex SE Platinum 1000W
Mouse Xenics Titan GX Air Wireless
Keyboard Kemove Snowfox 61
Software Main: Gentoo+Arch + Windows 11
Benchmark Scores Have tried but can't beat the leaders :)
Gigabyte has not done anything per your post and links, except (per that email), state their boards are using quality certified Intel parts (socket) and no where do I see a slam of ASUS or MSI.
Your post makes no sense to me, as, Gigabyte is insuring it's customers of it's stance.

Maybe, I am missing something here; but, after reading your links... it seems ASUS is passing the problem off on Corsair's PSU and Corsair is looking into it.

It used to be nice when this was a tech forum; and, if someone had a problem with a company... they actually tested for it and then posted the facts and their results.

I guess I am missing something in the translation. I don't know... finished my rant.

As 95viper said, i dont read anything there that Gigabyte is attacking other company. They just answered that they are using an intel certification. What is wrong with that? I dont know as I dont understand the original content.

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
actually its not a new news, many brands use the minus points of their competitors to show their products are better than the other

Seriously? take a look at the suggestive description and its backup showing those web pages of defective boards from asus and msi. ......

where did I get the mail? I can't reveal my source. why don't you ask if they did it or not.....

to be honest, I indeed don't like gigabyte products coz I've suffered their product quality which they boasted. :mad::mad:

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
I can't reveal my source

So somebody made a table in excel and pasted some links in word, and sent it to a few people with no factual bearing at all.

Really?

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
So somebody made a table in excel and pasted some links in word, and sent it to a few people with no factual bearing at all.

Really?

Sounds like the spreading of potentially false information. In addition to that, it sounds like someone doesn't know how to read Spanish. Everything about this thread rubs me the wrong way.

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
Seriously? take a look at the suggestive description and its backup showing those web pages of defective boards from asus and msi. ......

where did I get the mail? I can't reveal my source. why don't you ask if they did it or not.....

to be honest, I indeed don't like gigabyte products coz I've suffered their product quality which they boasted. :mad::mad:

I did take a look... and, read all the info and links you gave.

Saw nothing incriminating Gigabyte. They have a right to boast about their products, just as any other company does.

An anonymous email means diddly to me; and, your friend, the shop owner, is not a reliable source of info to me, either.
And, OP, this situation affects you how? Did Gigabyte cause your board to go up in smoke?

All companies usually have growing pains (so to say) with a new product released to the public.
I take all info and propaganda with a grain of salt and gather info from reliable (known) sources... be it testers, friends, acquaintances on this forum, or others.

EDIT: ALSO, This is the second thread you have on this --> ASUS X99 Motherboard Goes Up in Smoke!!
So this thread should be merged with other thread you made; as, this is just more fodder for your other thread

Last edited:
@Aquinus you knows Spanish? why don't you make a call to this guy... :D

@95Viper Calm down. You looks anxious. :confused:
All product makers has their right to boast their solution of course. I have my own right to make any post revealing the truth as long as they doesn't breach forum rule.
If you don't like the thread, just keep you away. nobody forces you read or reply it, buddy.

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
@95Viper Calm down. You looks anxious. :confused:
All product makers has their right to boast their solution of course. I have my own right to make any post revealing the truth as long as they doesn't breach forum rule.
If you don't like the thread, just keep you away. nobody forces you read or reply it, buddy.

Ain't anxious and I am calm. You need to post useful info and not vague insinuations and FUD.
You make a thread in an open forum... I have every right to respond to the drivel posted.
Seems you only want posters that agree with your own limited view.
Post hard facts from reliable sources and, maybe, I will see your point. But, up to now... you have nothing but innuendo.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
@Aquinus you knows Spanish? why don't you make a call to this guy... :D
I shouldn't have to. The point is that your information is seemingly misinterpreted and you're spreading misinformation based on it. If you can't take criticism when you post fud, you shouldn't be posting it at all.

System Name Selene / Yoda
Processor Fx 8350 @ 4.4 / Phenom II x6 1090t @ 3.6
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 r4.0 / Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Cooling H100i / Xig Dark Knight
Memory 4x 8gb G.Skill Snipers / 4x 4gb G.Skill Ares
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9 290x / XfX DD & VisionTek HD6850's C'fired
Storage 256gb ssd, 2x 2tb Wd Blacks & 1x 1tb Wd black / 1x 1tb
Display(s) Dell Ultra Sharp 2408 WFp / Hp w2207
Case Raidmax Vampire / Chieftec Alum. Dragon Blue
Audio Device(s) Onboard Hd Audio / Onboard Hd Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX 850 watt / Corsair TX 750 watt
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
Software Win 10 pro / Win Vista Home prem. 64 bit
Benchmark Scores What are benchmarks anyway?
I also see no ill intentions by Gigabyte. Gigabyte makes great products.

System Name Dell-y Driver
Processor Core i5-10400
Motherboard Asrock H410M-HVS
Cooling Intel 95w stock cooler
Memory 2x8 A-DATA 2999Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) UHD 630
Storage 1TB WD Green M.2 - 4TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) Asus PA248 1920x1200 IPS
Case Dell Vostro 270S case
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Dell 220w
Software Windows 10 64bit
I don't see any attacks geared towards ASUS and MSI. Heck, the original email in spanish doesn't even mention them, the links are there merely to let the recipients know what the heck Gigabyte is talking about.

AND, this being the most important part IMO, this message wasn't intended for the public. It's an internal email sent to distributors. They aren't telling anyone to send back ASUS or MSI boards, just telling them that Gigabyte uses standard certified Intel sockets and that you shouldn't have a reason to worry about X99 boards. It says it right at the end:

GIGABYTE confía en el rendimiento y la estabilidad de la plataforma Intel X99 y no creemos, según los rumores, que la plataforma sea la causa.

Translation:
GIGABYTE trusts in the performance and stability of the Intel X99 platform and doesn't believe, as per the rumors, that the platform is the cause.

EDIT: I suppose that the attack you're referring to is this line:
2. Los fabricantes de placas base tienen la responsabilidad de informar a sus usuarios sobre los riesgos potenciales cuando se usa un socket que no ha sido certificado o visado por Intel oficialmente.
Translation:
2. Motherboard manufacturers have the responsibility of informing users about the potential risks when using a socket that hasn't been officially certified and approved by Intel.

which is.... actually a good point. Would Intel honor a warranty of a CPU used on a modified socket? It would be interesting to know what Intel thinks about that.

EDIT2:

Intel's warranty: http://download.intel.com/support/processors/sb/warranty_procts_english.pdf

Intel warrants to the purchaser of the Product (defined herein as the boxed Intel® processor and the accompanying thermal solution) in
its original sealed packaging (“Original Purchaser”) and to the purchaser of a computer system built by an Original Purchaser containing
the Product (“Original System Customer”) as follows: if the Product is properly used and installed, it will be free from defects in material
and workmanship, and will substantially conform to Intel’s publicly available specifications for a period of three (3) years beginning on the
date the Product was purchased in its original sealed packaging in the case of an Original Purchaser, and for a period of three (3) years
beginning on the date of purchase of a computer system containing the Product for an Original System Customer

Would using the CPU on a modified socket count as "properly used and installed"?

I'm pulling strings here as I'm sure that ASUS has consulted with Intel to make sure that their socket wouldn't invalidate the warranty but it's a valid concern.

Last edited:

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit

Really?

Seriously. This thread and most of his others scream BS. Even if it is true, who in the flying f cares, other than people who seem to just want to spread drama around and don't actually know what is going on.

Sounds like the spreading of potentially false information. In addition to that, it sounds like someone doesn't know how to read Spanish. Everything about this thread rubs me the wrong way.

This.

I don't see any attacks geared towards ASUS and MSI. Heck, the original email in spanish doesn't even mention them, the links are there merely to let the recipients know what the heck Gigabyte is talking about.

AND, this being the most important part IMO, this message wasn't intended for the public. It's an internal email sent to distributors. They aren't telling anyone to send back ASUS or MSI boards, just telling them that Gigabyte uses standard certified Intel sockets and that you shouldn't have a reason to worry about X99 boards. It says it right at the end:

I'm pulling strings here as I'm sure that ASUS has consulted with Intel to make sure that their socket wouldn't invalidate the warranty but it's a valid concern.

When reviews released about Asus boards, most if not all the reviewers mentioned the fact that if a chip is placed into one of these non certified sockets, the warranty is instantly voided per Intel. I mean cadaveca could probably fill us in entirely on it.

System Name Dell-y Driver
Processor Core i5-10400
Motherboard Asrock H410M-HVS
Cooling Intel 95w stock cooler
Memory 2x8 A-DATA 2999Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) UHD 630
Storage 1TB WD Green M.2 - 4TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) Asus PA248 1920x1200 IPS
Case Dell Vostro 270S case
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Dell 220w
Software Windows 10 64bit
When reviews released about Asus boards, most if not all the reviewers mentioned the fact that if a chip is placed into one of these non certified sockets, the warranty is instantly voided per Intel. I mean cadaveca could probably fill us in entirely on it.

If so then the argument that Gigabyte is "attacking" someone holds even less water, they're merely pointing out the obvious.

In fact, the original article on legitreviews didn't mention the root cause is because of OC socket.

Intel also doesn't take sides on the issue. If the design void intel warranty, why gigabyte boasts Intel-certified socket and copies asus oc socket at the same time.....:D:D:D

http://thepcenthusiast.com/gigabyte-x99-soc-force-ln2-motherboard/

Tallencor

TPU's First Patreon
Supporter
System Name Francis
Processor 7700k @5.0 delid
Motherboard Rog Maximus IX Code
Cooling Corsair H100i V2
Memory 32 GB Gskill Trident Z RGB 3200 xmp
Video Card(s) MSI RX 480 Gaming x 8G
Storage Samsung960evo250GB os Samsung 860 evo 500GB (Games)Samsung 840 120 (Storage)
Display(s) Viewsonic XG 2701 Freesync
Case Corsair Crystal 570x
Audio Device(s) On board Supreme FX
Power Supply Evga 850 G3
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Logitech G810
Software Win 10 Home 64
Benchmark Scores 11+12=19?
Well if nothing else this thread has made Fri afternoon go by a tad faster. Much a do about nothing. I could not help but check back in from time to time. It's almost like the urge you get when you pass Honey boo boo flicking through the channels and just have to stop for a minute. I never in my imaginings thought it would last this long. Gotta hit the beer store and hurry home just in case I miss something. Just for the hell of it I will likely scold my Gigabyte board 7 or 8 beer in for being such an @$$.

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit
This thread still going on??

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
In fact, the original article on legitreviews didn't mention the root cause is because of OC socket.

Intel also doesn't take sides on the issue. If the design void intel warranty, why gigabyte boasts Intel-certified socket and copies asus oc socket at the same time.....:D:D:D

http://thepcenthusiast.com/gigabyte-x99-soc-force-ln2-motherboard/
I'm sorry but I must say, In that link first thing is they show a pic of the complete Giga board then in the next trio of picks they show the Asus socket, bottom of the Cpu then they show a socket from a completely different Giga board. And the caption is saying "If you noticed, both are very similar, if not 100% similar!". Ummm sockets aren't even close. Look at the highlighted area of the Asus socket with more pins compared to the giga socket. Also be mindful the Asus socket is upside down compaired to the giga socket.

Just saying.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
BALDU doesn't have a clue what hes talking about why do people even read his posts

Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
BALDU doesn't have a clue what hes talking about why do people even read his posts
BALADU is here so mailman's posts sound like they make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.