• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Green VS Red MSI RX9800

Gambit

I was wondering if any one has the new Red MSI RX9800 pro, the reason being is that I got The green one a while back and right b4 I got my card Newegg switched to the red ones so I have been keeping my eye on the site to see how many people still got the r360 core, any way one of the guys wrote that he got the red one with smaller heatsink and better mem :eek: so if any ones knows what mem the red MSI has on it I wld like to know. TY

ati.bob

I think the red coloured ones are the full retail version.. containing all the mumbo-jumbo technology from MSI (dual bios, etc.. etc... some sort of thing).. the green coloured ones are OEM cards.. no fancy add-ons though, but I think the performance is the same...

Gambit

They are both retail , some of the dif are that the green one has electrolytic capacitors while reference R9800Pro uses metallized film ones, the green one uses a huge heat sink and fan that covers the mem as well as the core, its made of aluminium! The mem on my green board is Hynix 2.8 ram chips, what I Was wondering is if some one had a red MSI one and cld tell us what mem they have on there card!

ati.bob

Hmm.. Maybe it's just the newly "revised" version :confused: .. I know that MSI also makes 2 variations of a card that are on the same range..

For example, the MSI FX5200-TD128..
One has TwinBIOS, T.O.P. Tech and Hardware Monitor (the red-coloured PCB version) while the other (green coloured PCB) doesn't have it..

Check it out HERE

Gambit

Yes thank you for the reply but I know what this card is just dont have any info on if they run faster mem chips on them. the cards I am talking about are RX9800PRO-TD128 (Green) & RX9800PRO-TD128SP (Red)

ati.bob

Well, maybe the tags clearly state the difference.. RX9800PRO-TD128 (Green) & RX9800PRO-TD128SP (Red).. Notice the "SP" suffix at the end? This well may be "Special Edition" or something... :confused:

benito

I got the RED card, anyone has modded to XT yet ?

Regards
Cristian

Fistandantilis

i have the red pcb on my msi98oo td-sp it has the hynix ram chips 2.8 and 360 core, so ofcourse i modded it to an xt, however when i modded it i was a bit weary of the cooling that came stock so i edited the xt bios that i used for the flash with Rabit and gave the xt bios the pro speeds. basically i just flashed it for the sake of having the extra shaders that the 360 had which i may add isnt much. i did not get temp or overdrive so that really sux. i ussually overclock the core to xt settings and leave the ram at pro settings and until i get an aftermaarket cooler i will stay that way.

jbltk

I have one of these cards. It's the one with the green PCB and the giant heatsink.

How do I go about flashinging the BIOS to make it an XT? Which should I use? Or should I just overclock it?