• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Samsung Introduces Industry's First 128-Gigabyte UFS for Smartphones

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., the world leader in advanced memory technology, announced today that it is now mass producing the industry's first 128-gigabyte (GB) ultra-fast embedded memory based on the much-anticipated Universal Flash Storage (UFS) 2.0 standard for next-generation flagship smartphones. The new embedded memory's UFS 2.0 interface is the most advanced JEDEC-compliant, next-generation flash memory storage specification in the world.

"With our mass production of ultra-fast UFS memory of the industry's highest capacity, we are making a significant contribution to enable a more advanced mobile experience for consumers," said Jee-ho Baek, Senior Vice President of Memory Marketing, Samsung Electronics. "In the future, we will increase the proportion of high-capacity memory solutions, in leading the continued growth of the premium memory market."

UFS memory utilizes "Command Queue," a technology that accelerates the speed of command execution in SSDs through a serial interface, significantly increasing data processing speeds compared to the 8-bit parallel-interface-based eMMC standard. As a result, Samsung UFS memory conducts 19,000 input/output operations per second (IOPS) for random reading, which is 2.7 times faster than the most common embedded memory for high-end smartphones today, the eMMC 5.0. It also delivers a sequential read and write performance boost up to SSD levels, in addition to a 50 percent decrease in energy consumption. In addition, the random read speed is 12 times faster than that of a typical high-speed memory card (which runs at 1,500 IOPS), and is expected to greatly improve system performance.

In the future, Samsung anticipates that UFS will support high-end mobile market needs, while eMMC solutions remain viable for the mid-market, value segments.

For random writing of data to storage, the blazingly fast UFS embedded memory operates at 14,000 IOPS and is 28 times as fast as a conventional external memory card, making it capable of supporting seamless Ultra HD video playback and smooth multitasking functions at the same time, enabling a much improved mobile experience.

Samsung's new UFS embedded memory comes in 128GB, 64GB and 32GB versions, which are twice the capacity of its eMMC line-up, making it today's optimal memory storage solution for high-end mobile devices.

In an attempt to provide more design flexibility to global customers, Samsung's UFS embedded memory package, a new ePoP (embedded package on package) solution, can be stacked directly on top of a logic chip, taking approximately 50 percent less space.

Over the next several years, Samsung will continue to set the pace for memory solutions that combine truly high-performance with high capacity.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name The Money Sink
Processor Intel i7-5960X at 4.60Ghz
Motherboard MSI X99A Godlike
Cooling Custom watercooling loop, single D5 -> CPU, dual D5 -> GPU's
Memory 64GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) 2 x 1080Ti @ Stock for the moment (40oC LOAD)
Storage 960GB Mushkin Scorpion Deluxe and 2 x 512GB M.2 SSD RAID0
Display(s) Dual Curved LG 34" Display
Power Supply EVGA 1600W G2
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores ALOT
Brilliant news, this is the kind of thing that mobiles should be focusing on.

Will allow more background tasks to take place, whilst also increasing general system performance (nearly instant camera loading, etc.).

Well done Samsung for continuing to innovate.

You are probably going to have to pay additional 100$ or 200$ to have 128GB memory. That is wrong because the chip is a lot cheaper.

kloczek

I have half free space on my phone with 16GB.
I don't see a reasons to buy phone with more storage.

System Name I read I watch I listen but I don't game (2013 Sep build)
Processor Intel Core i7 4770K
Motherboard Asrock Fatal1ty Z87 Killer
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212X
Memory Transcend DDR3-1600 16GB
Video Card(s) Inno3D GTX 660
Storage Transcend TS128GSSD340, Western Digital WD3000FYYZ, Hitachi HDS722020ALA330, Seagate ST2000DM001
Display(s) Eizo EV2455 24.1" 1920x1200
Case Cooler Master CM 690 III
Audio Device(s) Arcam irDAC + Harmon Kardon HK980 + Q Acoustics 3020 / Shure SRH1540 / Aurisonics ASG-1.5
Power Supply Corsair AX750
Mouse Roccat Kone Pure Optical / CM Storm Xornet II
Keyboard Varmilo VA87MR
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Well, then don't buy the 128GB phone?o_O Many people put music, movies on their phones. After taking photos and videos you don't have much space left.

good for you but there are other billions of people around the world some of them might just have a different opinion