• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

COUGAR Releases First 80 PLUS BRONZE Digital PSU

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
COUGAR, a leading player in the computer gaming hardware market, announces today the release of its first 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Digital Power Supply Unit, the COUGAR CMD Digital Power Supply Unit. Its arrival marks a radical change for Digital PSUs, freeing them from their current status of niche product and putting digital power in the right direction towards becoming the mainstream option for PC gaming. This is due to the emphasis on practical functionality put during its development, which has led to a product whose specifications all target real user needs.

The basis of the CMD is the state of the art technology and quality materials COUGAR is already well known for in the PSU market. On top of this, COUGAR has implemented its newly developed Digital Power technology and integrated it with the COUGAR UIX Device management system. The Digital Power technology brings a broad range of functions to CMD that will assist the user mainly in two areas: the electric supply of the computer and its temperature and cooling. Those two areas have been chosen because they are especially relevant for gamers.

The CMD's electric supply-related functions include monitoring of the PSU's electric input and output, efficiency, consumption and voltage fine-tuning, providing the user with a high level of control and full information about the energy his system works with.

As for temperature and cooling, key factors for a gaming computer, the CMD provides everything a gamer might ask for. Within a single application, the user can easily monitor the temperature of key components within his system, and with the included TSR sensor an additional point inside the computer (chosen by the user) can be monitored as well. This information becomes even more useful since the CMD gives the user the possibility to install up to two additional fans and control their speed through the UIX system. As for CMD's internal fan, its automatic control will adjust its speed to the PSU's temperature, keeping always the optimum balance between temperature and sound.

Finally, CMD enjoys full integration with the COUGAR UIX System, allowing the user to control both its gaming devices and the temperature and power supply of his computer within a single application.

CMD is, in short, nothing short of a revolution in the Digital Power Supply market, reinventing the Digital PSU concept to make it more useful and adjusted to gamers' real needs.

COUGAR CMD Digital Power Supply Unit will be available in April 2015.

For more information, visit the product page.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

It's digital but only achieves 80+ Bronze rating? Somebody missed the design goal.

System Name All Switched Up
Processor Intel Core i9-9900k @ 5.0GHz
Motherboard ASUS Z390 Maximus XI Hero Wi-Fi w/ EK monoblock
Cooling Custom EK Watercooling loop - 2x 360 | 1x 240 Rads
Memory 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 3200MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra w/ EK Quantum Vector Waterblock + Active Backplate
Storage 1x Samsung 2TB M.2 NVMe SSD - 2x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD - 1x Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD
Display(s) Viewsonix XG270QG Elite 1440p x2
Case Lian Li O11Dynamic XL - White
Audio Device(s) ifi Zen CAN/DAC | Mayflower Objective2 + ODAC | Sennheiser HD 6XX | HiFiMan HE-5XX
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P6 Platinum
Mouse Glorious Model O Wireless | Model D
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Pro w/ Holy Panda's
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores yes
Cougar has been really stretching out it's wings here lately with some new products.. which is pretty nice to see. I don't own any Cougar products, yet, but they all seem to get pretty good rating from reviewers.. And now PSU's. But yeah, a digital PSU with only a bronze rating. Ehh, whatever I guess. At least it'll be pretty cheap, I'm sure.

It's digital but only achieves 80+ Bronze rating? Somebody missed the design goal.

That's right, you did.
The design goal was to make a cheaper PSU series that have digital monitoring. That's why they decided to make it 80Plus Bronze

System Name Rainbow
Processor Intel Core i7 8700k
Motherboard MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC
Cooling Corsair H115i, 2x Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-3000 PWM
Memory G. Skill TridentZ RGB 4x8GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GeForce RTX 3090 Trinity
Storage 2x Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | 2xHGST Deskstar 4TB 7.2K
Display(s) Samsung C27HG70
Case Xigmatek Aquila
Power Supply Seasonic 760W SS-760XP
Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K95
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 4 trillion points in GmailMark, over 144 FPS 2K Facebook Scrolling (Extreme Quality preset)
I know it's Jorge, but woah.

It's 2015 and yes, we expect silver at least from manufacturers that claim to be "a leading player in the computer gaming hardware market" (just like everyone else :rolleyes:). Cost is a valid point though. Bronze PSUs aren't really terrible and can be cheaper in for the consumer in the long run for PCs that aren't on constantly. I don't think any judgements can be made until we see a price tag.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Cougar does make Silver stuff (and above). I hope this is sufficiently cheap compared to the rest of their lineup.

Reactions: xvi