• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA 8800 GTX beats AMD ATI Radeon HD 2900 XTX

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
well, it comes down to preference really.

i have 3 pc's. an old pentium 2 i use for internet connection sharing, a athlon 3400 and a athlon 3800 dual core. the 3400 has a nvidia 6600gt, the 3800 has a ati 1650 pro. both the athlons run on vista ultimate.

my problems with nvidia :

1. nvidia menu does not function properly, alot of features are missing, greyd out etc .. )
2. TV-out full screen mirror function does not work, and nvidia has announced that this feature is dicontinued permanently. ( i use this ALOT. )
3. even the tv out itself sometimes resets for no reason when i reboot and i have to set the tv format back to pal again, it keeps jumping to ntsc.
4. fps is alot lower in vista than in xp.
5. nvidia are sloppy in delivering updates, they do 1 driver release in about 3 months.
6. i also HATE the new menu, it just sucks piles.
the list goes on ....

AMD/ATI

1. Menu works perfectly, with new 7.4 release all tv-out features that i need are working, even before 7.4 there were definitely far more features working than nvidia.
2. full screen theater mode works perfectly with certain players, i can't stress enough how important this is for me.
3. ATI has released 3 drivers in the last 2 months, and they have made noticable difference in performance and features in windows vista.
4. i have noticed that with each driver release fps has gone up alot in vista.
5. the ATI menu is just so much better than the nvidia one, atleast you have many more options to work with and it just feels so comfotable doing it.

in the end it really comes down to 2 things, i can handle nvidia's pethetic excuse for a menu if i must, but i cannot handle waiting around for 6 years for them to release new drivers, and most of all I NEEED FULLSCREEN VIDEO MIRROR FEATURE, i live on it, and nvidia has dicontinued this feature, and altho it only works with certain players on ati in vista, atleast it is working and they have not written it off. I am sure that ati does not see it as a priority at the moment, but they will get to it in due time, this is a comforting thought for me.

also have you tried their latest drivers ? it is a vast improvement over the last ones.

so in the end it comes down to preference, i prefer ati, it feels more stable to me, more features are working, drivers are less bugged. in the end ati gives me less headaches. but others might feel the same way about nvidia.

my point of the post above was that only little 12 year old children will go around and compare the top 2 cards and make 12 page threads about a 10fps difference when you really won't notice it with the avarage user, to me features and stability are more important than fps, unless the fps gap is huge.

Double post, but this is a big quote so it deserves its own message.

Your ATI comments are spot on with my observations, except that ATI dont support disabling aspect scaling on widescreen monitors. If the game doesnt support widescreen (Battlefield 2, BF 2142, both modern games that dont) the game just distorts and goes blurry.

Nvidias latest drivers have a new driver panel, fair bit easier to use - but i get taht bug where you cant see the options til you mouse over them. They also get me better FPS in Vista than i got in XP (Excluding 3dmarks - those are slower, games are faster)

Oh and i dont use TV out, sorry i cant comment there.

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Processor R7 5800X @ Stock | i7 12700H @ Stock
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming BIOS 6203| Legion 5i Pro NM-E231
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S Push-Pull + NT-H1 | Stock Cooling
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Display(s) Acer 28" 4K VG280K x2 | 16" 2560x1600 built-in
Case Corsair 600C - Stock Fans on Low | Stock Metal/Plastic
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
Mouse Logitech G502 | Logitech M330
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Core RGB | Built in Keyboard (Lenovo laptop KB FTW)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 | Windows 11 Home x64
It's hard saying what will happen. If AMD/ATI looses this bout, it'll be hard for them to pull out of the top-end loser rut. But they can still pull off the mid range, where I've been a fan of since I bought my 9600 pro years ago. They need to have their pro be unlockable and oc-able up to the xtx or xt. Kind of like my x850 pro was unlocked to 16 pipes and surpasses the xt pe 540/590 speeds.

Maybe they have some tricks up their sleeves they are waiting to unleash, or maybe these results show the true meaning to going back to the green side. I will be waiting and using my x1950 pro for a while to see what happens and how far prices come down to once again get the most bang for my buck.

System Name HAL
Processor Core i9 13900k @5.8-6.1
Motherboard Z790 Arous master
Cooling EKWB Quantum Velocity V2 & (2) 360 Corsair XR7 Rads push/pull
Memory 2x 32GB (64GB) Gskill trident 6000 CL30 @28 1T
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 Gigagbyte gaming OC @ +200/1300
Storage (M2's) 2x Samsung 980 pro 2TB, 1xWD Black 2TB, 1x SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB
Display(s) 65" LG OLED 120HZ
Case Lian Li dyanmic Evo11 with distro plate
Power Supply Thermaltake 1350
Software Microsoft Windows 11 x64
Double post, but this is a big quote so it deserves its own message.

Your ATI comments are spot on with my observations, except that ATI dont support disabling aspect scaling on widescreen monitors. If the game doesnt support widescreen (Battlefield 2, BF 2142, both modern games that dont) the game just distorts and goes blurry.

Nvidias latest drivers have a new driver panel, fair bit easier to use - but i get taht bug where you cant see the options til you mouse over them. They also get me better FPS in Vista than i got in XP (Excluding 3dmarks - those are slower, games are faster)

Oh and i dont use TV out, sorry i cant comment there.

lol it works for who? I cant rescale my HD tv sizes at all. it doesnt even recognise im trying to rescale my destop size.. I hook up my 2 thousand dollar 50" HD 1080 tv and use my 130 dollar gold plated cables and my 50 dollar platinum nvidia pure decoder with my 250 dollar graphics card on a system that would retail for about 3-4 grand.. and i cant even use my dam HD cables.. the second i go from pc to hd my picture becomes to big to fit on my screen.. and the rescaling does not work for xp.. so here i am with thousands of dollars of high end equiptment and I can't even use the stuff.. yea the drivers work..lol. half the time.. the other half of the time their to busy causing conflicts for me to think about the good they actually do.. Hence the common "Nvdll" has stopped working, etc etc etc.. thir drivers are still crap lol.. just because you can play a game on them doesnt make them stable..

digzz

full screen theater mode works perfectly with certain players?

Hello,

Quote:
1.full screen theater mode works perfectly with certain players?

Does any one Know What players do this???? :confused:

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymerjacques
well, it comes down to preference really.

i have 3 pc's. an old pentium 2 i use for internet connection sharing, a athlon 3400 and a athlon 3800 dual core. the 3400 has a nvidia 6600gt, the 3800 has a ati 1650 pro. both the athlons run on vista ultimate.

my problems with nvidia :

1. nvidia menu does not function properly, alot of features are missing, greyd out etc .. )
2. TV-out full screen mirror function does not work, and nvidia has announced that this feature is dicontinued permanently. ( i use this ALOT. )
3. even the tv out itself sometimes resets for no reason when i reboot and i have to set the tv format back to pal again, it keeps jumping to ntsc.
4. fps is alot lower in vista than in xp.
5. nvidia are sloppy in delivering updates, they do 1 driver release in about 3 months.
6. i also HATE the new menu, it just sucks piles.
the list goes on ....

AMD/ATI

1. Menu works perfectly, with new 7.4 release all tv-out features that i need are working, even before 7.4 there were definitely far more features working than nvidia.
2. full screen theater mode works perfectly with certain players, i can't stress enough how important this is for me.
3. ATI has released 3 drivers in the last 2 months, and they have made noticable difference in performance and features in windows vista.
4. i have noticed that with each driver release fps has gone up alot in vista.
5. the ATI menu is just so much better than the nvidia one, atleast you have many more options to work with and it just feels so comfotable doing it.

in the end it really comes down to 2 things, i can handle nvidia's pethetic excuse for a menu if i must, but i cannot handle waiting around for 6 years for them to release new drivers, and most of all I NEEED FULLSCREEN VIDEO MIRROR FEATURE, i live on it, and nvidia has dicontinued this feature, and altho it only works with certain players on ati in vista, atleast it is working and they have not written it off. I am sure that ati does not see it as a priority at the moment, but they will get to it in due time, this is a comforting thought for me.

also have you tried their latest drivers ? it is a vast improvement over the last ones.

so in the end it comes down to preference, i prefer ati, it feels more stable to me, more features are working, drivers are less bugged. in the end ati gives me less headaches. but others might feel the same way about nvidia.

my point of the post above was that only little 12 year old children will go around and compare the top 2 cards and make 12 page threads about a 10fps difference when you really won't notice it with the avarage user, to me features and stability are more important than fps, unless the fps gap is huge.

CrashChris

Unbelievable....

Unbelievable....:eek:

I have been drooling for a while imagined ATI HD 2900 XTX performance...:cry:

It's not fair. ATi/AMD HD 2900 XTX at its pure speed, not OCed like Nvidia 8800 GTX!! :banghead:I hope ATi/AMD could fix 2900 XTX's perf... Perhaps the next Catalyst could fix it. Anyway, what's the mean of benchmark score? I think, if my graphic card could run the most "heavy calibre" game in the max AA and AAF and the best image (of course in highest resolution) in above 79.99 FPS, it is more than good...:nutkick:

Long live AMD/ATi !!!:toast: