• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Faces Securities Fraud Lawsuit

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Over-promising and under-delivering with its very first accelerated processing units (APU), codenamed "Llano," is coming back to haunt AMD, with a US District Court ruling that the company must face claims from investors over potential securities fraud. Launched in Q3-2012, AMD's A-series "Llano" APUs went largely unsold due to various factors including lack of product appeal, competition from Intel, forcing AMD to pull in its second-generation "Trinity" APU too soon. The related development first took shape in January 2014.

The swelling unsold "Llano" inventory forced an inventory writedown of $100 million, reducing the company's worth by nearly that much overnight, and tanking the value of the AMD stock. While AMD talked about the concept of an APU for years, Intel was the first to come out with a processor that integrates a graphics processor, with its Core i3 and Core i5 "Clarkdale" processors. The suit claims that AMD misrepresented production of "Llano" chips to its investors despite supply issues from its foundry partner GlobalFoundries, artificially inflating the value of the company in 2011-12. By the time production finally caught up, it ended up overproducing resulting in unsold inventory, and in consequence, the $100 million writeoff.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Tiger1-Workstation
Processor Intel XEON E3-1275V2 / E3-1230V3
Motherboard ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 / AsRock H87 Performance
Cooling Corsair H80i Watercooling
Memory 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400
Video Card(s) Inno3D GTX 780 Ti
Storage 2TB SSD(4X OCZ vertex 4 256GB LSI RAID0 + Crucial M550 1TB)
Display(s) 2x Dell U3011 30" IPS
Case Silverstone Raven 03
Audio Device(s) Xonar Essence STX--> Xonar Essence One --> SPL Auditor -->Hivi X6
Power Supply Corsair AX860i Platinum
Software Windows 8.1 Enterprise
I thought April Fools was over?

Oh wait..

System Name octo1
Processor dual Xeon 2687W ES
Motherboard Supermicro
Cooling dual Noctua NH-D14
Memory generic ECC reg
Video Card(s) 2 HD7950
Storage generic
Case Rosewill Thor
The Anandtech article sums up what this might mean
These types of lawsuits are not particularly uncommon, especially as institutional investors seek restitution for money they lost from the drop in stock price. That said, today’s ruling is only over whether the lawsuit can go to trial and not over the validity of the claims themselves, never mind what specifically the investors are asking for. So it is likely that the actual lawsuit will take quite a bit longer to resolve.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
In all fairness, Llano and generally APU's were and are a good idea. Its difficult though to fight a company as big as Intel with R&D and time to market.
Missing predictions in tech is a certainty for most companies and many are prone to it.

I also think investors are often little more than parasites who simply gamble and when they lose, they complain like brats. You invest in anything, you take risks. The suit would have to prove an awful lot and I don't think AMD have much to worry about.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
In all fairness, Llano and generally APU's were and are a good idea. Its difficult though to fight a company as big as Intel with R&D and time to market.
Missing predictions in tech is a certainty for most companies and many are prone to it.

I also think investors are often little more than parasites who simply gamble and when they lose, they complain like brats. You invest in anything, you take risks. The suit would have to prove an awful lot and I don't think AMD have much to worry about.

Bingo. They're mad they didn't get a big, easy money maker. Llano was a great performer for what it's job is (be cheap and do graphics, exactly what intel still can't do).

System Name hijo de la chingada!
Processor fx-8150
Motherboard asus crosshair V
Cooling xigmatek small fri
Memory g skill sniper 1866
Video Card(s) visiontek 5850 long tooth
Storage a couple slow fat ones
Display(s) 2 one for tools one for "work"
Case shinobi fap black
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply one that works, CrazyEyes ;)
Software lots that i can color hello kitty with
Benchmark Scores before fx-8150 P13784 3DMarks

Not when you mislead an investor. AMD basically made false claims to entice investment. That sir is against the law. I'm willing to bet AMD loses this in court. They have set precedence for falsehood in the past also. Bulldozer anyone?

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
But is it because Intel ran circles around AMD or did AMD not deliver what was promised? It really boils down to what AMD said when.

Last edited:
System Name DEVIL'S ABYSS
Processor i7-4790K@4.6 GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97-Deluxe
Cooling Corsair H110 (2 x 140mm)(3 x 140mm case fans)
Memory 16GB Adata XPG V2 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 780 Ti Classified
Storage Intel 750 Series 400GB (AIC), Plextor M6e 256GB (M.2), 13 TB storage
Display(s) Crossover 27QW (27"@ 2560x1440)
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803
Benchmark Scores Passmark CPU score = 13080
Supporting the underdog is the American Way (unless they lie to you besides being generally crappy products, then we kick the crap out of them!) Tried AMD for the prices, went right back to Intel, to get "back to the future" and away from slow buggy systems.
EDIT; I've heard many times on many forums from people who claim to prefer AMD because they see them as the number 2, trying harder, making the noble effort to provide the "budget-minded" (poor people) with hardware they can afford, and precisely because they're NOT Intel (the giant uncaring behemoth that's perceived as "laughing all the way to the bank"). All I can say to them is "you get what you pay for", enjoy Pentium 4 level performance in 2015, Intel had it in 2005...
BTW, AMD's always been about hype and bullspit: look how they count their "cores", that's BS on a fundamental level. Now they do it with GPU "cores" as well.

Last edited:
The problem isn't the failure of the chip but the withholding of information and misleading claims about Llano supply & demand. AMD told investors production issues were over when they knew this wasn't the case and there seems to be a lot of evidence to support this claim.

A copy of the court's denying the motion to dismiss filing can be read at http://regmedia.co.uk/2015/04/01/amd_no_dismissal.pdf , it contains some interesting snippets.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Supporting the underdog is the American Way

Umm, my reply is OT but hell no it isn't. That shit ended well before Wounded Knee... World Super Powers never support under dogs. In the world of tech, this is also true. It's why Apple chooses to fight so many thing in California, where it has great sympathy, despite being the over dog.

Anyway, sorry for wandering off topic.

All the plaintiff (Babak Hatamian, ET AL) can really exploit in court are transcripts from earnings call’s, engineering symposiums, from that time in say mid 2011 onto release. Perhaps social media from executive’s and or things that can be directly quoted etc. But the hype, rumors, and embellishment of articles, won't. While they’ll need to show a concerted effort from management to guide the mindsets as such. We will see.

Last edited:
System Name Zotan
Processor i9-10850K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X AX
Cooling H100
Memory 32GB Viper 3200
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX3080
Case Airflow 275R
Power Supply RMX850
Benchmark Scores d1nky@hwbot.org
Didn't know they wrote so much monies worth off, that in itself is huge! Plus the cost of a lawsuit and maybe compo... hope that doesn't happen!

I just hope this doesnt turn into some Intel vs AMD BS, i've had several AMD chips and Intel, apart from synthetic i never saw a massive difference. Even the reviews of 4k give the FX 8 core some glamour!

Also not sure why everyone was shitting over these early APU's. I have a second generation (Zacate) and it's pretty good. CPU is a bit weak, but that was the target anyway. GPU is what allows you to even run games that don't work on any other such CPU.

Not when you mislead an investor. AMD basically made false claims to entice investment. That sir is against the law. I'm willing to bet AMD loses this in court. They have set precedence for falsehood in the past also. Bulldozer anyone?

Actually AMD did not make false claims to entice anyone. AMD like Intel and other PC hardware providers issued roadmap projections of new products that were in the pipeline. The roadmaps are often optimistic even in Intel's case. AMD's 10Q reports and discussions always state that the future is not guaranteed but that at the time management believes the information to be accurate - which it was. The fact that AMD's stock price dropped and a group of investors lost money is largely due to their failure to understand the industry and AMD's history of technical challenges with production of new products - which are almost always late to market.

Neither AMD nor any other company has an obligation to tell investors the proprietary production issues they may experience. The fact that AMD adjusted their product release dates as they experienced production set-backs shows they were not defrauding investors at all. Unless the plaintiffs can pull a real snow job on a jury, I doubt they will prevail in this attempt to be compensated for gambling on AMD to deliver new tech and new products on time. This lawsuit is an attempt to use the judicial system to reimburse bad investing by plaintiffs, IMO and I hope it fails.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Investors don't seem too alarmed by this news today. AMD is down less that 1% today in trading.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Also not sure why everyone was shitting over these early APU's. I have a second generation (Zacate) and it's pretty good. CPU is a bit weak, but that was the target anyway. GPU is what allows you to even run games that don't work on any other such CPU.

The E-350 and its ilk were terrible. Not to mention the C60 and whatever they were called. Absolutely terrible. They weren't exactly cheap, and slow.

System Name Lailalo
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X Boosts to 4.95Ghz
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus (WIFI
Cooling Noctua
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) XFX 7900XT 20GB
Storage Samsung 970 Pro Plus 1TB, Crucial 1TB MX500 SSD, Segate 3TB
Display(s) LG Ultrawide 29in @ 2560x1080
Case Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Power Supply XPG 1000W
Mouse G602
Keyboard G510s
Software Windows 10 Pro / Windows 10 Home
Investors are idiots. First gens of anything, never are as super as the 2nd or 3rd.

Llano wasn't bad. Heck I built a Llano rig for a relative that is still in use today and runs well. Only major downside is that AMD changed the socket for the next gens so it has no real upgrade path.

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Cooling AC NexXxos XT45 360, RayStorm, D5T+XSPC tank, Tygon R-3603, Bitspower
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600C8
Video Card(s) GTX 780 SLI (EVGA SC ACX + Giga GHz Ed.)
Storage Kingston HyperX SSD (128) OS, WD RE4 (1TB), RE2 (1TB), Cav. Black (2 x 500GB), Red (4TB)
Display(s) Achieva Shimian QH270-IPSMS (2560x1440) S-IPS
Case NZXT Switch 810
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek yawn edition
Power Supply Seasonic X-1050
Software Win8.1 Pro
Benchmark Scores 3.5 litres of Pale Ale in 18 minutes.
Supporting the underdog is the American Way (unless they lie to you besides being generally crappy products, then we kick the crap out of them!)
Chips and Technologies, VIA, Digital Research Inc. and a whole host of ODM's like EPoX would disagree. Likewise consumers stayed away from AMC (American Motors Corp.) in droves simply because they weren't one of the big three.
Investors are idiots. First gens of anything, never are as super as the 2nd or 3rd.
I don't think the suit pertains to the performance ramp. It concerns Seiferts statements regarding supply and market saturation levels for the most part.
All the plaintiff (Babak Hatamian, ET AL) can really exploit in court are transcripts from earnings call’s, engineering symposiums, from that time in say mid 2011 onto release. Perhaps social media from executive’s and or things that can be directly quoted etc.
From the suit filing, it seems that that is exactly what is being taken to task. Companies in general are very guarded about predictions and product ramps with good reason, but Seifert had only just taken on the job after Dirk Meyer's ousting, and AMD were getting destroyed both in sales and as a brand by Intel's recently launched Sandy Bridge. Personally, I'm not sure if the interim CEO's words just bombast, deliberately misleading, or naïveté. OEM's would likely know the real truth about supply and performance, while Intel could care less about what an AMD CEO talks about, since the outcome is invariably...

Investors are idiots.
With AMD's prior record of production, process, performance, and time to market issues, investing in the BoD's predictions seems like an exercise in Reverse Darwinism. What's the proverb? "A fool and their money are soon parted"

System Name gamingPZ
Processor i7-6700k
Motherboard Asrock Z170M Pro4S
Cooling scythe mugen4
Memory 32GB ddr4 2400mhz crucial ballistix sport lt
Video Card(s) gigabyte GTX 1070 ti
Storage ssd - crucial MX500 1TB
Case silverstone sugo sg10
Power Supply Evga G2 650w
Software win10
this is not about crappy product - because there are tons of crappy products marketed as the next big thing that will change the world and wash away all our problems... in PC industry or whatever industry... but when you lie to your investors who counts on your reports and calculate based on them Investments - cuz there are many Stock exchange laws what reports and whena company must create them

System Name Rainbow
Processor Intel Core i7 8700k
Motherboard MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC
Cooling Corsair H115i, 2x Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-3000 PWM
Memory G. Skill TridentZ RGB 4x8GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GeForce RTX 3090 Trinity
Storage 2x Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | 2xHGST Deskstar 4TB 7.2K
Display(s) Samsung C27HG70
Case Xigmatek Aquila
Power Supply Seasonic 760W SS-760XP
Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K95
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 4 trillion points in GmailMark, over 144 FPS 2K Facebook Scrolling (Extreme Quality preset)
The E-350 and its ilk were terrible. Not to mention the C60 and whatever they were called. Absolutely terrible. They weren't exactly cheap, and slow.
I had a machine with a E1-1200 which is a very similar processor. It wasn't a powerhouse, but it seemed like enough for what it was for. Ran Google Earth surprisingly well. Easily overwhelmed though. Seemed inexpensive enough too.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
AMD is already so much weaker than Intel and NVIDIA and now this to crush them even further? Not good. :shadedshu: We really need competition in the market.

Unfortunately, I see no future for them unless the likes of Samsung buys them out and gets around that x86 licence clause that prevents the bought out company from using it. Perhaps anti-trust laws could apply to this clause, too?

Processor i7-13700k
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming z790-plus
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper 212 RGB
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB DDR5 7000mhz
Video Card(s) Asus Dual Geforce RTX 4070 Super ( 2800mhz @ 1.0volt, ~60mhz overlock -.1volts. 180-190watt draw)
Storage 1x Samsung 980 Pro PCIe4 NVme, 2x Samsung 1tb 850evo SSD, 3x WD drives, 2 seagate
Display(s) Acer Predator XB273u 27inch IPS G-Sync 165hz
Power Supply Corsair RMx Series RM850x (OCZ Z series PSU retired after 13 years of service)
Mouse Logitech G502 hero
Keyboard Logitech G710+
I had a machine with a E1-1200 which is a very similar processor. It wasn't a powerhouse, but it seemed like enough for what it was for. Ran Google Earth surprisingly well. Easily overwhelmed though. Seemed inexpensive enough too.

I know someone with one those e1 cpu powered laptops, its like 2 years old i think, that cpu is Slow as CRAP. My 8+ year old core duo laptop its not core 2. Its lowest end core duo chip was made matches the thing in performance. Even using his laptop core duo in mine is faster.

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Cooling AC NexXxos XT45 360, RayStorm, D5T+XSPC tank, Tygon R-3603, Bitspower
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600C8
Video Card(s) GTX 780 SLI (EVGA SC ACX + Giga GHz Ed.)
Storage Kingston HyperX SSD (128) OS, WD RE4 (1TB), RE2 (1TB), Cav. Black (2 x 500GB), Red (4TB)
Display(s) Achieva Shimian QH270-IPSMS (2560x1440) S-IPS
Case NZXT Switch 810
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek yawn edition
Power Supply Seasonic X-1050
Software Win8.1 Pro
Benchmark Scores 3.5 litres of Pale Ale in 18 minutes.
Unfortunately, I see no future for them unless the likes of Samsung buys them out and gets around that x86 licence clause that prevents the bought out company from using it. Perhaps anti-trust laws could apply to this clause, too?
Couple of points regarding that.
The x86 licence/cross-licence agreement allows for a buyer to retain the licence for a year to allow for negotiations on licence renewal. So instead of a hostile suit/countersuit trade embargo situation, any transference is smoother - along the lines of when National Semiconductor sold its x86 licence to VIA.

I doubt Samsung has any interest in x86, and even if they did, ramping R&D to a level that Intel are already at would probably exceed the purchase price of AMD by a considerable margin.

The prime reason I could see for Samsung purchasing AMD wouldn't be for x86/x86-64, but for graphics IP, since that is an area Samsung has interest in. Strangely enough, AMD's position would become stronger if Nvidia succeeds in its suit against Samsung and Qualcomm. If Nvidia enforces it's graphics IP as licensable, then AMD's would also be in the same position, thus raising their value. AMD already has long term cross-licences with Nvidia for graphics IP, and purchasing AMD would likely mean a transfer of those cross-licences to Samsung and a means to avoid paying fees to Nvidia. With that in mind, AMD's value improves proportionally with any potential settlement levied against Samsung in its suit with Nvidia.