• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Faces Securities Fraud Lawsuit

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
i think AMD should change something, like low powered chip with better performance, not always on the top
look at mediatek where they can place themself as good alternative after qualcomm

System Name Epsilon
Processor A12-9800E 35watts
Motherboard MSI Grenade AM4
Cooling Stock
Memory 2x4GB DDR4 2400 Kingston Hyper X
Video Card(s) Radeon R7 (IGP / APU)
Storage Samsung Spinpoint F1
Display(s) AOC 29" Ultra wide
Case Generic
Power Supply Antec Earthwatts 380w
Software Windows 10
Also not sure why everyone was shitting over these early APU's. I have a second generation (Zacate) and it's pretty good. CPU is a bit weak, but that was the target anyway. GPU is what allows you to even run games that don't work on any other such CPU.

Those were successful, they were not llano APUs

The E-350 and its ilk were terrible. Not to mention the C60 and whatever they were called. Absolutely terrible. They weren't exactly cheap, and slow.

I own a C60 motherboard that I used as a micro server for over 2 years, it cost me 60 $ brand new 2 years ago, and it was included in the motherboard. The thing eats 8watts peak. The power consumption of the entire system was so low that the ampermeter couldn't detect any ampers going through. Also the C60 includes a Radeon 6290, and guess what, it didn't need a fan cooler. Now it has been replaced with an AM1 Athlon 5350 and yes, the performance is up to the hills right now.

The E-350 and E-450 were exactly the same as the C60 but had more clock Ghz. The were meant for low power super low cost machines. Facebook - skype - gmail - word and excel. And that's it.

Investors are idiots. First gens of anything, never are as super as the 2nd or 3rd.

Llano wasn't bad. Heck I built a Llano rig for a relative that is still in use today and runs well. Only major downside is that AMD changed the socket for the next gens so it has no real upgrade path.

I had a A6-3400 laptop. I now have an AMD FX7500 laptop, which is much faster. But I would reverse back to the A6 all the way before touching a Pentium DC or celeron laptop ANY day.

I had a machine with a E1-1200 which is a very similar processor. It wasn't a powerhouse, but it seemed like enough for what it was for. Ran Google Earth surprisingly well. Easily overwhelmed though. Seemed inexpensive enough too.

The E1-1200 is quite low, but its graphics were ok for google earth

AMD is already so much weaker than Intel and NVIDIA and now this to crush them even further? Not good. :shadedshu: We really need competition in the market.

Unfortunately, I see no future for them unless the likes of Samsung buys them out and gets around that x86 licence clause that prevents the bought out company from using it. Perhaps anti-trust laws could apply to this clause, too?

There will always be AMD. Their processors are not the disaster people describe. Why whould a 20% difference in performance between intel and AMD make me change my mind when I have to pay more for the Intel Processor? Look, I own an Intel Bay Trail tablet (the HP stream) and its a huge deal. But in the rest, the big deals come from AMD, just to mention the FX8320 at less than 150$ is quite a bargain for what you get.

I know someone with one those e1 cpu powered laptops, its like 2 years old i think, that cpu is Slow as CRAP. My 8+ year old core duo laptop its not core 2. Its lowest end core duo chip was made matches the thing in performance. Even using his laptop core duo in mine is faster.

core duo performance is very respectable even today, but its power consumption was higher, its platform didn't support more than 2GB of RAM (depending on the chipset) and it was, at the time, quite expensive. Not to mention that without a dedicated graphics you cannot watch HD videos smoothly, intel gma was the one to blame.

core duo t2050, its lowest end core duo mobile chip made. at time it was cheapest dual core intel was being sold when i bought it and still 750$.

um if you did same test i did, just cpu test alone, my 4770k scored just under 11000. so 4000 you said is um well you can guess.

I was talking a core duo cpu that was made in 2006 vs a cpu from mid 2013.

I had the same core duo, the T2050, I poped in a T2500. I'm very happy with the result, specially because I just spent 10 bucks in the T2500. Socket M for laptops. Improved its performance and I use it for work. Its still quite slower than my AMD FX7500 laptop. But still the core duo its very respectable.

That said a well balanced fx 8350 system with win 10 and a reasonable gpu is set for years to come

Interestingly I ran performance passmark test a test not endorsed by amd due to its intel bias and scored 4063 beating most intel pcs out there sooo can my bias ass definitely say mines better no but its still not a bad buy a few years ago for 157 £.;-)

I said at the time they were to far ahead of the software curve to show it usefully in products sometimes like mantle and hsa now there's limited actual wares.

The FX 8000 line is very respectable. People were disappointed because it couldn't reach intel's performance. So the chip got bad press and people were against it. But in practice, its the best processor for the money.

So, basically, you're complaining that a 31 W CPU is faster than a ~15 W CPU. How very remarkable.
Even lower, the E1 he mentions is 8 watts.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
I had a A6-3400 laptop. I now have an AMD FX7500 laptop, which is much faster. But I would reverse back to the A6 all the way before touching a Pentium DC or celeron laptop ANY day.
If I may ask, where did you find a fx7500 laptop? Ive been unable to find anything with a cpu faster then the a10, and my 10-4600m is feeling a little slow.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Processor Phenom II X4 965 BE @4 GHz | NB @2600 MHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 2x 8GB PC12800 @1600 MHz CL7 1T
Video Card(s) Gigabyte HD 7950
Storage 2 x 500 GB -- HD502HJ & WD5000AACS-00ZUB0
Display(s) Iiyama Prolite E2202WS_WVS
Case Corsair Obsidian 550D
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2 w/ Z-5500
Power Supply Seasonic X-750
Mouse Logitech B100
Keyboard Logitech G15 (blue backlight)
Software Windows 7 - SP1 x64
Even lower, the E1 he mentions is 8 watts.

Wow... That's really bad. Maybe he expects AMD's CPU to actually produce power while outperforming Intel's CPUs by 200%.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
The E-350 and E-450 were exactly the same as the C60 but had more clock Ghz. The were meant for low power super low cost machines. Facebook - skype - gmail - word and excel. And that's it.

And they're too slow for it. They were faster than the Atom netbooks, but not that much faster to make it worth it. It's sort of pointless to argue about them now, but they were a dissapointment, and they were generally not that cheap, at least not here. They put them in €400 laptops and that just damaged AMD's name no matter the OEM.

System Name Epsilon
Processor A12-9800E 35watts
Motherboard MSI Grenade AM4
Cooling Stock
Memory 2x4GB DDR4 2400 Kingston Hyper X
Video Card(s) Radeon R7 (IGP / APU)
Storage Samsung Spinpoint F1
Display(s) AOC 29" Ultra wide
Case Generic
Power Supply Antec Earthwatts 380w
Software Windows 10
If I may ask, where did you find a fx7500 laptop? Ive been unable to find anything with a cpu faster then the a10, and my 10-4600m is feeling a little slow.

Oh, well I live in Uruguay. I almost bought the Dell Inspiron with the A10-7300 which is very close to the FX 7500, but I've got the HP because it had the FX and touchscreen.
The Dell was new while the HP I've got is refurb. It came with English keyboard layout so I can imagine they imported from USA.
here it is . Note: I replaced its hard drive with an SSD drive and going to expand its RAM soon.

And they're too slow for it. They were faster than the Atom netbooks, but not that much faster to make it worth it. It's sort of pointless to argue about them now, but they were a dissapointment, and they were generally not that cheap, at least not here. They put them in €400 laptops and that just damaged AMD's name no matter the OEM.

The C60 was ok for ms office.... c'mon....

AMD need to pull there head out of there backside.

APU's work. But there numbering scheme is confusing. Have less on offer and just make it better.
They work pretty well. A friend as an C-60 netbook it plays 720P content with out any issues. But other than that is pretty slow. And over priced.

Another problem is Australia I cannot get any AM1 mobos with 4 x sata ports.

If amd could make an AM1 mobo with 6 or more sata ports make it work with freenas ... you would start moving APU's..

I don't think AMD know there head from there arse. APU's work.
AMD need an intel style site. I get most of my info on AMD chips off 3rd party sites as there documentation sucks. Intel has there ark and it works.

Processor Phenom II X4 965 BE @4 GHz | NB @2600 MHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 2x 8GB PC12800 @1600 MHz CL7 1T
Video Card(s) Gigabyte HD 7950
Storage 2 x 500 GB -- HD502HJ & WD5000AACS-00ZUB0
Display(s) Iiyama Prolite E2202WS_WVS
Case Corsair Obsidian 550D
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2 w/ Z-5500
Power Supply Seasonic X-750
Mouse Logitech B100
Keyboard Logitech G15 (blue backlight)
Software Windows 7 - SP1 x64
If amd could make an AM1 mobo with 6 or more sata ports make it work with freenas ... you would start moving APU's.

While I agree that 2 SATA ports might be too few, isn't ECC RAM recommended for FreeNAS? The only current AMD platform that supports ECC is AM3+... And even then, it's just Asus (maybe Gigabyte, too).

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
The C60 was ok for ms office.... c'mon....

Sure, but most people don't edit a single Word page at a time and nothing else. Some music service is running in the backgorund, and since it's a laptop it will be taken to bed and streaming movies/series, Farmville will be played. Seriously, browsing the web without adblock on those machines is painful for real. You can't watch flash videos in more than 720p, if even that.

The breaking point came last year IMO, now you can do all those things without much noise and for a low price, but the early low power APU's didn't.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
isn't ECC RAM recommended for FreeNAS?
Only when using ZFS RAID modes from what I've heard.
Another problem is Australia I cannot get any AM1 mobos with 4 x sata ports.

If amd could make an AM1 mobo with 6 or more sata ports make it work with freenas ... you would start moving APU's..
I think the point of 2 ports is to keep the SoC lean. If you really need more, there is usually a 4x PCI-E slot that you can put a RAID controller into if that's really important to you.

ntgamers

E-350 10.6" laptops were an awesome bargain for the Facebooking public at about $199 when a crappy celeron based craptop cost about $299...
I didn't realize that line was such a flop...You'd think that they could have used those chips for education Donations worldwide and come out as a PR hero bringing in some name recognition.

As I see it the only problem here is people looking to make a quick buck are being heard...
Seriously shut the fuck up!
Invest for the long term...it should be law...quick trades, short sales or whatever its called now almost took out all of our economies...giving these people a voice sends the wrong message....which is if you're rich and whine enough you get more money regardless...

I know their has been but I haven't seen anything really groundbreaking in software for a loooong time...

Perhaps you just aren't looking hard enough? For example, I recently released a library that enables function level parallelism and multi-threading in javascript so moving forward I wouldn't be surprised to see websites taking advantage of those extra cores and thus making single threaded performance even less applicable.