• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Linux Mint Debian Edition 2 Released...

System Name Graphics Card Free...
Processor Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX Wifi
Cooling Cryorig M9a w/ BeQuiet! PureWings 2 ~ 92mm
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 3200 ~ 16GB(2x8GB)
Storage Samsung EVO 870 SSD - 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2
Case Cardboard...
Power Supply eVGA SuperNova 550w G3
Mouse Logitech t400 Zone Touch Mouse
Keyboard IBM Model "M" Keyboard
Software Manjaro ~ KDE Plasma
Benchmark Scores She's a Runner!
Back when I was testing MATE versions for my own usage, I tested about a dozen different distributions. The original Linux Mint Debian Edition was the best of the bunch in regards to stability, memory usage, and overall snappiness out of the box.

MATE:

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2809

Cinnamon Edition:

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2808

I didn't mention this distro though, because at the time it was an older release and I didn't know if Mint was going to do any updates in the future or if it was a dead project.

I wholeheartedly admit I'm not an expert in linux, I've only recently gotten back into it after playing with it in the 90's. Although...I do know a solid distro when I see one. If someone is looking to try out Linux Mint MATE or Cinnamon Edition...this version should be on your short list.

I'm currently using Ubuntu 15.04 because it played nice with my wireless adapter(Ralink RT3290), but I will be transferring over to LMDE 2's MATE as soon as possible.

Best Regards,

Liquid Cool

Thanks for the headup ! i didn't even know such thing was existing (an out of the box Mate DE with debian as base distro) I myself am a fan of Mate-desktop both for work and personnal use.

I've been playing with the Regular Ubuntu 14.04 LTS further augmented with Mate 1.8.2 from the repos, then Ubuntu Remix, Ubuntu Mate, and Debian wheezy + Mate from the backports

I have even created an Ubuntu Mate VMware virtual machine for our students at school, which take the form of an open virtualisation appliance (OVA). That's our fav Mate distro, packed with all the educational tools they are using on our labs. Roughly 8Gb, perfect for a thumb drive. (or should i say, 50 of them !)

Knowing how small and efficient Debian can be, i would'nt be suprised if i could further diminish both CPU and disk usage. I'll give it a try on monday !

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
Debian stable tends to have older repos than Ubuntu LTS does which has older repos than standard Ubuntu has. Debian is known for being stable and containing only what you need. It really isn't too much different than Ubuntu (under the hood.) You can get similar performance out of Ubuntu by doing a command-line install from an Alternative install disk (which lacks any GUI and isn't a LiveDVD.) Doing this and installing just i3wm, X, Firefox, and VIM, I could boot a machine with 512MB of memory and only use 50MB on boot. So if you know exactly what you want, starting with nothing can sometimes get you more performance and a smaller footprint than any distro with pre-defined packages already installed OOTB.

It's worth noting that Debian and Ubuntu are almost the same. If you do a CLI install of Ubuntu and Debian, very little is different between the two. Debian has been working flawlessly on my headless gateway/nas server.

Depending on how gung-ho you want to go, you can even compile the Kernel with just modules you care about. Heck, you could even go a step further and turn your modular linux kernel into a monolithic one if you're so inclined and *really* care about squeezing performance out of a box.

Last edited:
you could even go a step further and turn your modular linux kernel into a monolithic one if you're so inclined and *really* care about performance squeezing performance out of a box

It makes me want to do that :)

I wish i took the debian road from the very beginning, but unfortunately software wise, one of our mandatory application (Lanschool) has terrible pre requisites and need an underlying gnome DE to work properly. This "thing" acts as a black box, i have to idea why gnome is so important !

sorry for hijacking the thread :oops:

Last edited:
System Name Graphics Card Free...
Processor Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX Wifi
Cooling Cryorig M9a w/ BeQuiet! PureWings 2 ~ 92mm
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 3200 ~ 16GB(2x8GB)
Storage Samsung EVO 870 SSD - 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2
Case Cardboard...
Power Supply eVGA SuperNova 550w G3
Mouse Logitech t400 Zone Touch Mouse
Keyboard IBM Model "M" Keyboard
Software Manjaro ~ KDE Plasma
Benchmark Scores She's a Runner!
sorry for hijacking the thread :oops:

From my perspective you're not hijacking anything...:)

I put this thread up for informational purposes so people are/we're aware of a new Linux MATE version based on debian that seems to run very solid. Where the conversation goes from there - I do not know. Although...I am enjoying the commentary and it appears as though you we're too.

I'll repeat my comment about 'no expertise' in linux...but I love to learn and I did...from your post and Aquinus as well.

Best Regards,

Liquid Cool

System Name Handsome Bear
Processor Intel Core i5 4690K
Motherboard MSI Z87 MPOWER
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock 3
Memory Kingston HyperX FURY Black 16GB
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 GAMING 100ME
Storage OCZ Vector 180 240GB Plextor M6S 256 GB
Display(s) LG 34UC88
Case Fractal Design Define R5 Black
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Antec EDGE 550W
Mouse Tek Syndicate Gaming Mouse
Keyboard Logitech Illuminated Keyboard K740
Software Windows 10 Pro / Linux Mint 17.1
I have mixed opinion about Linux Mint. In past it used to be very unstable on my older system. But now I just love 17.1. Fast, simple and sexy. First Linux distro that I`m using daily.