• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Compute Stick Now Available

This product could be nice to have...sometime around an iteration next year.

Give me a decent apu, stacked flash, stacked ram, etc running off usb (to dp/hdmi/usb). Should be doable within 60w, right? We're seemingly on the brink in many areas concerning how much (practical) performance you can shove into a very small form-factor requiring very little power, as well as display power and adaptability (something some may love or hate about the new mac book for instance). I understand a big portion of this products' ideal is low pricing and what you can get away with using a minimum useful spec, but I don't know if this crosses that threshold, even though I give them props for things like decent wi-fi, bluetooth, and especially micro-sd expansion.

I like it as a proof of concept, but it still costs too much for what it is imho versus a device with other uses (like a phone/tablet/laptop). The Linux version is at least interesting for it's price, but the lowered ram/flash density limits it's usefulness as an actual computer (rather just something you use for a specific simple task).

That's just my opinion, I'm sure there are people for whom this IS worth it, and is good-enough for what they need it to do. For me though, this is either wasted potential, or a very nifty prototype of things to come.

60W for $150 in this form factor? Yea maybe in a decade, this device pulls 4.8W from the wall at full load lol.

Last edited:
System Name Big Loud Box
Processor i7 980x
Motherboard Sabertooth x58
Cooling Asetek 570LX 240MM Watercooler
Memory 12GB @ 1600mhz DDR3
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 Ti WindForce 3X OC
Storage Crucial M4 256 SSD / 3TB WD Green + random drives
Case Azza Hurrican
Power Supply BFG EX-1000 1000 WATT 80 Plus Modular
Mouse Razer Naga
Keyboard Razer Anansi
Um, read the reviews again. It worked just fine as a media streamer. The wireless was too slow for games streaming, not media streaming.

I read it just fine, the work and chore of actually interacting with it out of the box (the lag issues with using the Bluetooth and the wireless at the same time, not to mention the driver issues) make it a bad choice for a streamer when every other device actually designed to stream media doesn't have those problems.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
I read it just fine, the work and chore of actually interacting with it out of the box (the lag issues with using the Bluetooth and the wireless at the same time, not to mention the driver issues) make it a bad choice for a streamer when every other device actually designed to stream media doesn't have those problems.

the only redeeming feature here is that with great power comes great responsibility... no wait, USB ports. you can add more powerful wifi if you need to, unlike 99% of portable devices.

System Name Big Loud Box
Processor i7 980x
Case Azza Hurrican
Mouse Razer Naga
Keyboard Razer Anansi
the only redeeming feature here is that with great power comes great responsibility... no wait, USB ports. you can add more powerful wifi if you need to, unlike 99% of portable devices.

Of course, it has potential down the road to be a very useful device, but for a media streamer when it's possible to just pick up something like a Fire TV stick or a Roku stick for a third of the price or less (particularly before "add ons") which doesn't have to deal with driver issues or setup and come already with a control device that doesn't cause studdering and lag when enabled at the same time as the wifi it doesn't make sense

Additionally once you extra up the machine you're getting super close to the price of a regular small machine anyway, so that portability factor (which would have to be pretty specific, since you'd have to make sure you'd have the controlling devices available where you're going, or bring your own hub since it has the one port) has to start paying off over just buying an extra $39 media streaming stick.

It's actually a product I'm excited for in concept, it's just too touchy now as it stands.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64

The "chore" was really just the idiot Gizmodo reviewer not knowing what he was doing. Just the fact that he was surprised that it didn't come with a keyboard and mouse and made a big fuss out of fixing that "major" issue shows how much of an idiot he is. There are so many single receiver solutions out there designed for HTPC use, it is really stupid to make a huge fuss out of needing to use one. If you are going to use this for media streaming, HTPC use, then getting a K400 or one of those mini Keyboard/trackpad combos is a no brainer.

And the bluetooth performance really doesn't matter. Bluetooth isn't worth using anyway. The range isn't good enough. Sure, it is fine if you have it plugged in to your desk and the keyboard is right next to the thing, but if you have it plugged into the back of your TV, bluetooth isn't going to reach to your couch reliably. The fact is, bluetooth is only there because the chip they decided to use for Wifi had it built in.

And what other devices don't have these problems? The Chromecast you mentioned? Yeah, the Compute Stick Requires a $15 mini-keyboard to control, how terrible. The Chromecast requires a $300 phone, or a several hundred dollar computer. Yeah, those are much better choices...:rolleyes:

Fire TV stick or a Roku stick for a third of the price or less

And neither one of those are in home media streaming devices...

Reactions: xvi

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
No, b/c they're spending loads of cash promoting it.

Or maybe because they give honest search results that aren't bribed by the businesses wanting skewed results to put them at the top of a search like Google does. :rolleyes:

Bing is actually pretty good. The current traffic info affecting routes on Bing maps is always pretty accurate and up to date, which I have found to save me alot of wasted time sitting in traffic jams.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Or maybe because they give honest search results that aren't bribed by the businesses wanting skewed results to put them at the top of a search like Google does. :rolleyes:
Yeah, Bing does that. The first 4 results on Bing are always paid advertisements. You didn't know that?

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Yeah, Bing does that. The first 4 results on Bing are always paid advertisements. You didn't know that?

Bing is not facing a multibillion dollar fine in Europe for search bribes like Google is.

Search term: PC Cases

http://www.bing.com/search?q=pc+cas...ba0d1d892425983459ef4883562db&FORM=QBLH&ghc=1

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en......1ac.1.34.heirloom-hp..0.8.1202.u5-VzI-LJ00

Notice Bing clearly delineates what is an ad, as well as making a space btween those 4 and the search results.

The reason google is in trouble is because almost any of those first page results are there because the companies paid to be put there, with no openly identifying that fact by Google.

I use both, so I'm not adamant about either. I just believe the hate on Bing is unwarranted (simply bc it's MS?) for what is actually a pretty good and refined search engine. It's never let me down.

Last edited:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
System Name Big Loud Box
Processor i7 980x
Case Azza Hurrican
Mouse Razer Naga
Keyboard Razer Anansi
The "chore" was really just the idiot Gizmodo reviewer not knowing what he was doing. Just the fact that he was surprised that it didn't come with a keyboard and mouse and made a big fuss out of fixing that "major" issue shows how much of an idiot he is. There are so many single receiver solutions out there designed for HTPC use, it is really stupid to make a huge fuss out of needing to use one. If you are going to use this for media streaming, HTPC use, then getting a K400 or one of those mini Keyboard/trackpad combos is a no brainer.

Quite possibly, but it doesn't negate:
Every device I connected suffered from high input latency and a flighty connection, translating to laggy mouse input and an infuriating keyboard delay. It took other Sean a solid hour to sort out the problem: the Compute Stick uses a single chip for both WiFi and Bluetooth communications, and it’s terribleat multitasking. The only way to fix it is to disable WiFi. Seriously?

That's a problem no matter what.

And the bluetooth performance really doesn't matter. Bluetooth isn't worth using anyway. The range isn't good enough. Sure, it is fine if you have it plugged in to your desk and the keyboard is right next to the thing, but if you have it plugged into the back of your TV, bluetooth isn't going to reach to your couch reliably.

That's just not true in my home at all, my bluetooth keyboard easily gets 15 feet from the computer I'm currently typing it on (I just checked, since it's not a regular use case as you mentioned), and I routinely get 20 feet on my iPad to bluetooth speakers in my kitchen (it's clear and unobstructed, but it's pretty obvious when the sound drops out that it's too far (about 25 feet away). I don't sit far enough from my TV for 15 feet to not be good enough.

And what other devices don't have these problems? The Chromecast you mentioned? Yeah, the Compute Stick Requires a $15 mini-keyboard to control, how terrible. The Chromecast requires a $300 phone, or a several hundred dollar computer. Yeah, those are much better choices...:rolleyes:

And neither one of those are in home media streaming devices...

I never mentioned a Chromecast. Not once.

I've used Plex plus a Roku to stream local media from a local PC, as well as an Apple TV via iTunes (and as I understand it, you can use a fire stick to do so as well, there's a website covering side loading Fire TV, but it's not something I'm personally familiar with). In home even.

As far as cost, they all require some additional cost, since if you're streaming local media you probably have to store it somewhere, and if you have enough of it you're ponying for a NAS anyway, and if it's important to you, a backup for said data. The problem isn't just cost, it's that the damn thing doesn't work as it's designed, particularly the WLAN for streaming, as the Anandtech review noted
The unit doesn't come with any wired networking facilities. It is essential that the Wi-Fi solution be top-notch. Unfortunately, a single-band 1x1 802.11n solution just doesn't cut it - particularly for scenarios involving video streaming.

It's just not good enough as designed, "idiot" Gizmodo reviewer or no.

Google currently is much more intuitive and user-friendly
Not very much user friendly, a while ago you could only create Google account if you had telephone and when you created it your anonymity was compromised. There is also that incident where Google deleted already sent email on a request from some big name company which was mistakenly sent to wrong Gmail address. This means your data in Google hands is not secure nor private.

This is where the device's versatility comes in, you don't need to use bluetooth at all, just like on a normal desktops, its almost like some extra they toss in to expand specs. My KB/M from logitec has its own USB plug, and I used that. When i needed the USB port for like more storage or USB drive I used teamviewer which I could work from my phone or desktop. This is a very versatile device, you shouldn't hate it because some odd usage scenario doesn't work well.

This is what I have: http://www.officedepot.com/a/produc...Q18-online-VQ19-729357-VQ20-76926630596-VQ21-

Once again this isn't a mobile device where there is no USB port and which requires a dedicated bluetooth keyboard/mouse (aka the keyboard and mouse has no dedicated USb receiver).

I do think that the Compute Stick will heavily increase sales of the Logitec K400r hahahahaha.

I am also confused about all this with Bing crap, why wouldn't you just install Chrome? Its a computer, you have so many different options

Also the GIZMODO person, I have the same device as you and didn't have any input lag with my Logitec K400r.

System Name Big Loud Box
Processor i7 980x
Case Azza Hurrican
Mouse Razer Naga
Keyboard Razer Anansi
This is where the device's versatility comes in, you don't need to use bluetooth at all, just like on a normal desktops, its almost like some extra they toss in to expand specs. My KB/M from logitec has its own USB plug, and I used that. When i needed the USB port for like more storage or USB drive I used teamviewer which I could work from my phone or desktop. This is a very versatile device, you shouldn't hate it because some odd usage scenario doesn't work well.

I don't hate the device, they advertise it for use for 4 product categories (per Anandtech's review): home entertainment (which my comments were directly related to media streaming, and specifically why it's a poor choice for doing so given the alternatives), PC-Like embedded (seems fine), Productivity (seems passable, given the inherent limitations) and thin client (which also seems passable, although I have concerns about the value of the form factor, particularly in public usage situations.) It's plenty versatile but it's out of the box limitations and awful wireless (again, per Anandtech's review) make it a poor choice if the primary use is as a media streamer (not that it couldn't do it or it'd be handy to be able to do so in a pinch).

As I mentioned before, I'm looking forward to the form factor and am excited where it's going, I just see absolutely no value using this as an alternative to a cheapo NUC or cheap dedicated streaming device for in-home media streaming or entertainment, particularly plugged into my tv. I don't have a desire to fire up another computer or tablet to remotely control what the machine can do from my couch when a $39 device comes with a remote. The keyboard is certainly a good workaround for a problem design out of the box.

Last edited:
System Name Rainbow
Processor Intel Core i7 8700k
Motherboard MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC
Cooling Corsair H115i, 2x Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-3000 PWM
Memory G. Skill TridentZ RGB 4x8GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GeForce RTX 3090 Trinity
Storage 2x Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | 2xHGST Deskstar 4TB 7.2K
Display(s) Samsung C27HG70
Case Xigmatek Aquila
Power Supply Seasonic 760W SS-760XP
Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K95
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 4 trillion points in GmailMark, over 144 FPS 2K Facebook Scrolling (Extreme Quality preset)
I want one of these for a PRTG monitor display for a dumb TV. it;s tiny and good enough to bring up a PRTG window in chrome, full screen it. and boom.

Beats having to have my craptop busted asser hooked up behind my rca LCD TV for that.
Maybe try an ARM PC? Should be about $50 for an inexpensive one. I have a nice-ish one (powered by a rk3288 processor) on the way from China. If you're interested, I can let you know how well it does with PRTG's (ridiculously intensive) AJAX interface under Android (and maybe Linux).
The Chromecast requires a $300 phone, or a several hundred dollar computer. Yeah, those are much better choices...:rolleyes:
To be fair, a 1st gen Nexus 7 can be picked up for less than $100, but your point is still valid.

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
cool. tell me how it performs on it;

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Wtf are you talking about now? What happened? What shit? What do I have to choose? I don't see a point in your comment.
If you fail to see how my comment relates to your previous statement, then you have comprehension issues.
Please keep your language civil, swearing is uncouth and unnecessary.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
ladies, keep your drama civil and polite.

us moderators are very mean to naughty people.

System Name Colin #2 - the revenge!
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite V2
Cooling 4x Phanteks SK140 PWM & Arctic Freezer II 280 AIO
Memory TeamGroup Dark Pro 8 Pack 2 x16Gb dual rank B-die 3666MHz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4080 Suprim X
Storage 980 Pro 500Gb + WD SN770 2Tb
Display(s) Acer XB280HK 4K GSYNC (next thing I need to upgrade!!)
Case Phanteks P500A
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1200/1220
Power Supply 750W Corsair RM750
Last edited:

karljohnson321

Things turd. Why would u buy that piece of. when u can go on newegg buy a NVIDIA TEGRA developemental board that makes that stick look like a 128 MB flash drive.. Remember those. for 100$ more u get something that supports 4k res. has octo core 2 quad core ARM 250 some odd core gpu DX 12 supportin beast. im excited for the tegra XD I think it is Nvidia has a lock on this market amd will stay afloat but intel with there unreasonably high prices will sink.... I cant wait till MAC does too. Overpriced Linux OS with a tweaked shell. At least bill gates had the nerve to steal something unique

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
I was just sort of browsing around and came across this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856178014

The Minix Neo Z64W. Looks like the same specs but slightly larger form factor(really I don't see it as a big deal), but it has 2 USB ports, and ethernet port, and an external Wifi antenna. It seems to address all the issues the Intel Compute Stick has.

Only if it was a tad bigger and had a sata port ... oh wiat a sec thats a nuc...

More ram more usb would be nice....

System Name _Speedforce_ (Successor to Strike-X, 4LI3NBR33D-H, Core-iH7 & Nemesis-H)
Processor Intel Core i9 7980XE (Lapped) @ 5.2Ghz With XSPC Raystorm (Lapped)
Motherboard Asus Rampage VI Extreme (XSPC Watercooled) - Custom Heatsinks (Lapped)
Cooling XSPC Custom Water Cooling + Custom Air Cooling (From Delta 220's TFB1212GHE to Spal 30101504&5)
Memory 8x 8Gb G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4266MHz @ 4667Mhz (2x F4-4266C17Q-32GTZR)
Video Card(s) 3x Asus GTX1080 Ti (Lapped) With Customised EK Waterblock (Lapped) + Custom heatsinks (Lapped)
Storage 1x Samsung 970 EVO 2TB - 2280 (Hyper M.2 x16 Card), 7x Samsung 860 Pro 4Tb
Display(s) 6x Asus ROG Swift PG348Q
Case Aerocool Strike X (Modified)
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5 & Aurvana XFi Headphones
Power Supply 2x Corsair AX1500i With Custom Sheilding, Custom Switching Unit. Braided Cables.
Mouse Razer Copperhead + R.A.T 9
Keyboard Ideazon Zboard + Optimus Maximus. Logitech G13.
Software w10 Pro x64.
Benchmark Scores pppft, gotta see it to believe it. . .
I had the chance to use one. They have them on demo at my local Centrecom store with the Windows 8.1, 2Gb Memory and 32Gb Storage.
Basically, 4k is a no no, but it 1080p rather nicely. 32Gb storage reads and writes at about 20mb/s and the O.S takes up half of the memory on boot. WiFi range seemed limited to the same as the Bluetooth range, Bluetooth and wireless was about 20 feet, which I thought was decent for the Bluetooth. 150Mbps should have been 300Mbps.
It has it's practical uses, but this is not a product I would purchase. I found it to be incredibly slow at any task compared with a bottom of the range netbook.
The suggested operating temperature of 35C maximum is also a major limit considering that this unit starts to slow down before it reaches 30C.
The fan makes a very high pitch sound that I found annoying.

I love this idea, this product. I look forward to much better specifications in future. At the moment, this is not a product I could use on a daily basis, for streaming or not.

System Name Rainbow
Processor Intel Core i7 8700k
Motherboard MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC
Cooling Corsair H115i, 2x Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-3000 PWM
Memory G. Skill TridentZ RGB 4x8GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GeForce RTX 3090 Trinity
Storage 2x Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | 2xHGST Deskstar 4TB 7.2K
Display(s) Samsung C27HG70
Case Xigmatek Aquila
Power Supply Seasonic 760W SS-760XP
Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K95
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 4 trillion points in GmailMark, over 144 FPS 2K Facebook Scrolling (Extreme Quality preset)
I had the chance to use one. They have them on demo at my local Centrecom store with the Windows 8.1, 2Gb Memory and 32Gb Storage.
Really appreciate the hands-on review! :toast:
32Gb storage reads and writes at about 20mb/s
Yikes. I'm guessing they had to push pretty hard to fit the system's power requirements in to what a USB port can deliver, but it would have been nice have fit a little faster/higher power controller. Just seems really bad that (theoretical) WiFi bandwidth is nearly twice the storage controller's bandwidth.
WiFi range seemed limited to the same as the Bluetooth range
Probably also power consumption related.
It has it's practical uses, but this is not a product I would purchase. I found it to be incredibly slow at any task compared with a bottom of the range netbook.
More expensive than a thin client, a little too underpowered for a HTPC.. It's getting less and less interesting. =/

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
judging by the MS surface tablets, if you disabled bluetooth you'd probably get 300Mb wifi - they 'share' hardware on the budget wifi + BT chipsets.

Having USB cable would also be better than this stick which might not fit into all devices. Everything so they can market a "stick".