• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Fiji XT Reference PCB as Short as GTX 970 Reference, R9 295X2 Performance

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
@btarunr
Here switch the image to this one, better quality anyway and to get rid of this troll

xoxo

Credited you for the tip.

@WCCF guy: Lesson: Try to solve problems privately _before_ going public. No more hits from TPU.

WCCFtech own that image and they have no requirement to disclose where it come from.
#keepbeatingadeadhorse :wtf:

I'm impressed by how small that card is. Those with small compact cases will probably be drooling over this.

System Name Bandito | Intel NUC 12 Enthusiast
Processor Intel i7 10700 undervolted| i7 12700H
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme | NUC barebone Kit
Cooling Noctua C14S | stock
Memory Crucial Ballistics 64GB(4x16GB) 3000MTs | Crucial Ballistics 64GB(2x32GB) 3200MTs
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon 6700XT 12GB Nitro Plus | Arc A770M 16GB
Storage too many ssd's and an 3TB hard drive
Display(s) Asus 34 " Proart, LG 34 inch ultrawide, HP 27 inch and LG 32inch UHD
Case White Lian-li Lancool 3 | NUC barebone kit
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z |Focusrite 2i2
Power Supply Coolermaster 850w Gold | included 320w
Mouse Logitech G703
Keyboard Logitech G615
Software MS Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit
Best looking AMD card since the HD 5000

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO 360 - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
I took a guess cards would be short and was right. o_O

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
@btarunr
Here switch the image to this one, better quality anyway and to get rid of this troll

No way to know if its anymore legit or not but this was linked on chip hell and similar so I thought it may be better and looks a little better.

Clearly the only one not understanding the law is you, you do not own the image end of story...Anything done was a courtesy to save the thread from continued arguing and to stop someone who cannot even abide by our forum rules.

Nice PIC dude, great find! Now, is it me or does it look like an 80's era electric shaver?

FWIW, I think it looks pretty cool.

System Name SnowFire / The Reinforcer
Processor i7 10700K 5.1ghz (24/7) / 2x Xeon E52650v2
Motherboard Asus Strix Z490 / Dell Dual Socket (R720)
Cooling RX 360mm + 140mm Custom Loop / Dell Stock
Memory Corsair RGB 16gb DDR4 3000 CL 16 / DDR3 128gb 16 x 8gb
Video Card(s) GTX Titan XP (2025mhz) / Asus GTX 950 (No Power Connector)
Storage Samsung 970 1tb NVME and 2tb HDD x4 RAID 5 / 300gb x8 RAID 5
Display(s) Acer XG270HU, Samsung G7 Odyssey (1440p 240hz)
Case Thermaltake Cube / Dell Poweredge R720 Rack Mount Case
Audio Device(s) Realtec ALC1150 (On board)
Power Supply Rosewill Lightning 1300Watt / Dell Stock 750 / Brick
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G19S
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows Server 2016
Nice PIC dude, great find! Now, is it me or does it look like an 80's era electric shaver?

FWIW, I think it looks pretty cool.
Maybe that's it alternate function, now we do not have to leave our computer to shave :p

I think it looks good as well, if that is how its going to be 100% being that it has a full cover block there is one last thing that would make me unbelievably happy. If you can easily remove the tubes and adapt it into your own custom cooling system. Now that would be a great selling point!!!

Processor Ryzen 3600
Motherboard X570 I Aorus Pro
Cooling Deepcool AG400
Memory HyperX Fury 2 x 8GB 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) RX 470 Nitro+ 4GB
Storage SX8200 Pro 512 / NV2 512
Display(s) 24G2U
Case NR200P
Power Supply Ion SFX 650
Mouse G703
Keyboard Keychron V1 (Akko Matcha Green) / Apex m500 (gateron milky yellow)
Software W10
The air-cooled R9 390X will be longer, but only to house a heatsink and lateral blower. The single-GPU card could offer performance comparable to the dual-GPU R9 295X2, which is faster than the GeForce GTX TITAN-X. AMD CEO Lisa Su, speaking at the Investor Day event, in New York, on 6th May, hinted that the product could launch on the sidelines of Computex 2015 (early June).
I grasp it says it "could", but has there anything resent, other than non-substantiated rumors/speculation?

I just want to emphasize that no "performance information" was presented at this Investor Day event. Because the next sentence starts AMD CEO Lisa Su, speaking... some might construe that. That last sentence starts an entirely new topic, where she was hinting such product could launch, which is still seriously vague. I might need to find her exact words.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software W10
I grasp it says it "could", but has there anything resent, other than non-substantiated rumors/speculation?

I just want to emphasize that no "performance information" was presented at this Investor Day event. Because the next sentence starts AMD CEO Lisa Su, speaking... some might construe that. That last sentence starts an entirely new topic, where she was hinting such product could launch, which is still seriously vague. I might need to find her exact words.

Nothing solid yet. The very early leaks way back pointed to GM200 levels of performance but they were too vague (benchmark validity etc) to really mean anything. But, the fact is, if (as they seem to be doing) the 390X 'needs' a water cooler option at start and HBM is more efficient, it points to a hot chip.
This could be good, hot often means fast.

I sincerely hope it is as good as the speculation. If not, I'll be a bit bummed out. TBH, I'm appalled at the current 980 pricing and the Titan X is in silly land. I have a sneaking feeling Nvidia priced high to gouge, knowing 390X would be fast. But, if it's not fast, well shit, we're all doomed to continued high costs. 390X isn't going to be cheap either :(

blinxster

The image been confirmed to be fake.
WCCFtech have taken a ELA image confirming it.

[link removed]

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing solid yet... I have a sneaking feeling Nvidia priced high to gouge, knowing 390X would be fast.
I just found it "out-of-bounds" to place that "performance" in the title, and then those sentences/notions, that oddly dribbled on together.

As to Nvidia pricing it was more based on knowing how seriously tardy AMD was going to be, and when it did probably would see supply and production slowing being able to fill the channel. I mean it was kinda' the 7970~ pricing when AMD understood Kepler was out 4-5 months. I'm not sure what to say to AIB custom Fiji XT and then with 8Gb of HBM could price out like, or how soon they show, I see a full Fiji with 4Gb still not being all that "far-off-the mark" of the 8Gb brethren on air, although priced to push the GTX980's down a notch or perhaps two.

I'm thinking a Fiji XT 8Gb WCE, a Fiji XT 8Gb reference air (not if any AIB's customs at first), while from early on a Fiji XT 4Gb making AIB Custom OC's in good numbers, and later a Fiji Pro 4Gb.

Last edited:

blinxster

xoxo

@WCCF guy: Lesson: Try to solve problems privately _before_ going public. No more hits from TPU.
xoxo

Confirmed Fake.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

And improve your comprehension as you clearly do not know what a troll is.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
@blinxster you came here seeking respect for your site even though btarunr did credit your site for the pic. How about having some respect for this site and stop double, triple and quadruple posting. :)

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software W10
Confirmed Fake.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

And improve your comprehension as you clearly do not know what a troll is.

See that "LOLOLOLO..." thing you do? It is the typographic representation of an exaggerated laugh, like when you 'tease' someone or win at Calvinball. It is the lexical tool of a 'tool' and makes it quite evident to us at TPU that you are quite immature and unsure of your place. In our most generous and esteemed forums, we tolerate much in the hope to create, through fortitude and a cultural melee, a better understanding.

So, that "LOLOLOLO..." thing you do, in this context simply means you are of lesser ability and worthy of our sympathy. Let us help you. Let us heal you. In W1zzard we prey that we can assimilate you.

May life bless you but heaven help you.

Things are gonna get sinister if you pester these forums much more. I'm on a beer free night so my mind is sharper than normal. Don't make me stab you with it.

LenMargaux

The image been confirmed to be fake.
WCCFtech have taken a ELA image confirming it.

[link removed]

@blinxster Did WCCFTech mean that the R9 390X wasn't supposed to look like that? Because its very similar to what WCCFTech posted which you said they own it. And Ironically, Hassan confirmed that it's 100% true! So more or less that is really how the R9 390X would look like.

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
More chances of E3 launch than Computex. Updated.

And yes, it's a mockup. A 120 mm radiator looking out of proportion to the card should give that away before anything else. You don't need pointless articles with elaborate graphics work to tell you that.

This is what R9 390X WCE will look like. As some older reports suggested, it could even get a fancy name.

LenMargaux

Honestly you don't need something like an ELA image or complicated tool to analyze whether its a fake or not. Just take a look at the distance between the black plate to the tip of the output ports. I'm referring to the space where the "RADEON" logo is printed. WCCFTech has a slimmer gap or space, whereas the image from the ChipHell has a thicker or larger gap.

Fake or not, it's a nice render of the R9 390X which looks identical to what WCCFTech has posted. Probably these guys are just sourgraping because somebody created a better looking image of the R9 390X than their teaser image.

Processor Intel Core i9 9900k @ 5.1GHZ all core load (8c 16t)
Motherboard MSI MEG Z390 ACE
Cooling Corsair H100i v2 240mm
Memory 32GB Corsair 3200mhz C16 (2x16GB)
Video Card(s) Powercolor RX 6900 XT Red Devil Ultimate (XTXH) @ 2.6ghz core, 2.1ghz mem
Storage 256GB WD Black NVME drive, 4TB across various SSDs/NVMEs, 4TB HDD
Display(s) Asus 32" PG32QUX (4k 144hz mini-LED backlit IPS with freesync & gsync & 1400 nit HDR)
Case Corsair 760T
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed on powerplay mousemat
Keyboard Logitech G910
VR HMD Wireless Vive Pro & Valve knuckles
Software Windows 10 Pro
Sounds good - I'll be very pleasantly surprised if the card is as fast as a 7970 as I didn't think memory bandwidth was a big issue on that series, although I suppose with lower heat and possibly a smaller memory controller they can afford to run the cores faster and squeeze a few more on there.

Big props to chiphell for leaking such a high quality image - I do like it when photos aren't ruined with logos over the goods ;)

Heck, at this point with "R9" 360, 370, 380 being just for OEM's (rebrands), I see AMD holding to the 300 Series nomenclature for the next Series as highly in doubt.

The best rational is the Fiji launch would be at Computex (6-7 day worldwide event focused on hardware/manufactures), along with perhaps the next card down the stack. Most smart marketing folks would want the prominence of a new Enthusiast product and the first with HBM to happen on a grand scale, and those initial reviews to command the discussion.

While E3 just (2-3 day venue around gaming software), is where I think we'll see the mainstream offerings. I see AMD really looking to build off the momentum from Fuji, while promoting such cards as making PC gaming super accessible. Offering a exceptionally immersive level play @1080p (perhaps touting Dx12 optimizations), while isn’t out-of-bounds to the cost of today’s consoles, though without stepping on any toes.

Last edited:
The GPU die including the HBM modules are under a common IHS, so I expect a flat surface on that IHS. But anyways, there will be waterblocks nevertheless. Trust me. ;)

I'm quite sure you'll find waterblocks for the 390X soon after it's released. I'm just not sure about the IHS. To the best of my knowledge, AMD never used an IHS for any of its GPUs (not 100% sure about ATi, but my memory says no) and I don't think they will this time either. Since those HBM chips are almost certainly taller than the GPU die, using an IHS only makes sense if they'd need to protect them from damage (as in, due to the fact that they are stacked, the chips would break under the pressure exerted by the cooler's retention system). Even so, there are far more elegant and more efficient methods to handle this than a full-blown IHS.

Not to mention that using an IHS, combined with the taller HBM chips, would lead to a pretty thick layer of metal right above the GPU die, and that would lower the efficiency of the entire cooling setup. This leads me to believe that either there won't be an IHS at all (they are likely to use a "frame" like they've always used for high-end GPUs) OR they'll use a very atypical IHS (one that has "bumps" right above the location of the HBM chips, so not a flat surface at all). Either way, ye olde "conventional" waterblocks won't work here, you'll just have to buy a new one or modify the base of an existing one to fit the bill.

Also, the sheer size of the GPU package (certainly much larger than that of any GPU released to date, at the very least the size of an LGA2011 CPU package) leads to other complications. First and foremost, the holes for the cooler's retention system are going to be spaced much further apart. This would result in something more along the lines of what you typically see on a motherboard rather than a graphics card as far as said holes are concerned. This also leads to my second point here, which is that the 390X's cooling system (stock or custom) is extremely likely to employ some form of backplate to prevent the PCB from warping too far and breaking the BGA contacts or other parts (such as the dies, but not only). There are a couple of viable options here: either a system that pretty much works the same way as that on the AM2/AM3/AM3+ sockets, or a metallic X-shaped spring system (which is more commonly used for graphics cards, think about the HD 4870/4870X2, for example).

Either way, whatever's hiding under the cooling system of the 390X is unlike just about any graphics card you've seen to date.

Last edited:
System Name Blackbird
Processor AMD Threadripper 3960X 24-core
Motherboard Gigabyte TRX40 Aorus Master
Cooling Full custom-loop water cooling, mostly Aqua Computer and EKWB stuff!
Memory 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident-Z RGB @3733-CL14
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
Storage Samsung 950PRO 512GB, Crusial P5 2TB, Samsung 850PRO 1TB
Display(s) LG 38GN950-B 38" IPS TFT, Dell U3011 30" IPS TFT
Case CaseLabs TH10A
Audio Device(s) Edifier S1000DB
Power Supply ASUS ROG Thor 1200W (SeaSonic)
Mouse Logitech MX Master
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex M800
Software MS Windows 10 Pro for Workstation
Benchmark Scores A lot.
Either way, ye olde "conventional" waterblocks won't work here, you'll just have to buy a new one or modify the base of an existing one to fit the bill.
Sure, but I guess AMD also has to figure out how to cool such a chip. Why shouldn't all the after market cooler manufacturers be able to do the same? Also since when could you reuse an already existing GPU water cooler for a new generation of graphics cards (except maybe GTX 670 -> 970)? If so, than this is more a coincidence than intention.

Even so, there are far more elegant and more efficient methods to handle this than a full-blown IHS.
What exactly are you referring to? I mean a precisely manufactured cooler surface incorporating the different heights of the chips areas isn't exactly easy to produce and even more complicated to assemble, let alone the costs of all this precision machining. Without an IHS to equally distribute the pressure from the retention system, you'd have to be very precise (read: single-digit µm range) to avoid destroying the GPU die or a HBM stack.

Anyways, this leads me to believe that either there will be an IHS with a flat surface towards the cooler or all the components on the GPU package (HBM an GPU die itself) will have the same height.

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Cooling AC NexXxos XT45 360, RayStorm, D5T+XSPC tank, Tygon R-3603, Bitspower
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600C8
Video Card(s) GTX 780 SLI (EVGA SC ACX + Giga GHz Ed.)
Storage Kingston HyperX SSD (128) OS, WD RE4 (1TB), RE2 (1TB), Cav. Black (2 x 500GB), Red (4TB)
Display(s) Achieva Shimian QH270-IPSMS (2560x1440) S-IPS
Case NZXT Switch 810
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek yawn edition
Power Supply Seasonic X-1050
Software Win8.1 Pro
Benchmark Scores 3.5 litres of Pale Ale in 18 minutes.
Correct. AMD's officers made no mention of performance in relation to any other card. The inference of " 295X2 performance" is WCCFtech's - a site well known for its use of hyperbole as clickbait.
I'm not sure what to say to AIB custom Fiji XT and then with 8Gb of HBM could price out like, or how soon they show, I see a full Fiji with 4Gb still not being all that "far-off-the mark" of the 8Gb brethren on air, although priced to push the GTX980's down a notch or perhaps two.
AMD's large GPU architectures of late haven't been shown to be bandwidth constrained, so there is little reason to expect a 4GB card to be greatly disadvantaged against an 8GB one, except in scenarios where the lower framebuffer is saturated to tank performance ( downsampling, high res+ full screen AA for example). This might be just as well as the common thread now circulating is that the 8GB variant will not launch with the initial Fiji based card.
An example:
I have shown those slides to a contact in a position to know what AMD is launching this quarter. They have confirmed that Fiji tops out at 4GB, not 8. - Joel Hruska, Extreme Tech (see comments under the FAD 2015 article)

System Name Ryzen/Laptop/htpc
Processor R9 3900X/i7 6700HQ/i7 2600
Motherboard AsRock X470 Taichi/Acer/ Gigabyte H77M
Cooling Corsair H115i pro with 2 Noctua NF-A14 chromax/OEM/Noctua NH-L12i
Memory G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @3200/16GB DDR4 2666 HyperX impact/24GB
Video Card(s) TUL Red Dragon Vega 56/Intel HD 530 - GTX 950m/ 970 GTX
Storage 970pro NVMe 512GB,Samsung 860evo 1TB, 3x4TB WD gold/Transcend 830s, 1TB Toshiba/Adata 256GB + 1TB WD
Display(s) Philips FTV 32 inch + Dell 2407WFP-HC/OEM/Sony KDL-42W828B
Case Phanteks Enthoo Luxe/Acer Barebone/Enermax
Audio Device(s) SoundBlasterX AE-5 (Dell A525)(HyperX Cloud Alpha)/mojo/soundblaster xfi gamer
Power Supply Seasonic focus+ 850 platinum (SSR-850PX)/165 Watt power brick/Enermax 650W
Mouse G502 Hero/M705 Marathon/G305 Hero Lightspeed
Keyboard G19/oem/Steelseries Apex 300
Software Win10 pro 64bit
this looks really nice!