• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

95W TDP of "Skylake" Chips Explained by Intel's Big Graphics Push

Two words: Transistor Density.

Another two words. Fact check.

Transistor count AMD K5 (1996): 4,300,000 - 251 mm^2
Transistor count AMD K10 (2007): 463,000,000 - 283 mm^2

Transistor count Core i7 (2011): 1,160,000,000 - 216 mm^2 (total count)
Transistor count Core i7 (2014): 1,400,000,000 - 177mm^2 (total count)

Assuming that the AMD CPU transistor count mirrors that of a GPU (it's a stretch, but makes things easier), a 100 fold increase leads to a respectable increases in graphical fidelity.

Let's assume that the Intel offering has a 20% increase in the transistor count (dedicated to IGPU), and it's initially 20% of the transistors. 336000000-232000000 = 104000000 => 9% increase in transistor count.

You're telling me that a 10,000% increase in transistor count is comparable to a 9% transistor count increase. Seriously? Transistor density is important, but this is just silly. Even if you add in architectural improvements, transistor count isn't some magic stick to wave around and claim means everything.

Sources are always good:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-Sandy-Bridge.56667.0.html
-
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7003/the-haswell-review-intel-core-i74770k-i54560k-tested/5
-
http://www.wagnercg.com/Portals/0/FunStuff/AHistoryofMicroprocessorTransistorCount.pdf

axxo22

Another two words. Fact check.

Transistor count AMD K5 (1996): 4,300,000 - 251 mm^2
Transistor count AMD K10 (2007): 463,000,000 - 283 mm^2

Transistor count Core i7 (2011): 1,160,000,000 - 216 mm^2 (total count)
Transistor count Core i7 (2014): 1,400,000,000 - 177mm^2 (total count)

Assuming that the AMD CPU transistor count mirrors that of a GPU (it's a stretch, but makes things easier), a 100 fold increase leads to a respectable increases in graphical fidelity.

Let's assume that the Intel offering has a 20% increase in the transistor count (dedicated to IGPU), and it's initially 20% of the transistors. 336000000-232000000 = 104000000 => 9% increase in transistor count.

You're telling me that a 10,000% increase in transistor count is comparable to a 9% transistor count increase. Seriously? Transistor density is important, but this is just silly. Even if you add in architectural improvements, transistor count isn't some magic stick to wave around and claim means everything.

Sources are always good:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-Sandy-Bridge.56667.0.html
-
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7003/the-haswell-review-intel-core-i74770k-i54560k-tested/5
-
http://www.wagnercg.com/Portals/0/FunStuff/AHistoryofMicroprocessorTransistorCount.pdf

It's not the increase in transistor count that matters. It's the transistor count.

Imagine what AMD could have achieved with that density in 2007.

System Name gamingPZ
Processor i7-6700k
Motherboard Asrock Z170M Pro4S
Cooling scythe mugen4
Memory 32GB ddr4 2400mhz crucial ballistix sport lt
Video Card(s) gigabyte GTX 1070 ti
Storage ssd - crucial MX500 1TB
Case silverstone sugo sg10
Power Supply Evga G2 650w
Software win10
My only reason why I am pissed is - when Intel releases new CPU, all tech sites and forums praises their iGPU gains - why??? (I did not argue that there is no iGPU - there is always +30% gains). Do you really need that product at all? I mean you are tech people - why you give Intel publicity and encouragements for product you will never use ( "never" -in next 5-10 year time span) if not - then shut up and "booo" Intel for tinny CPU gains, because it is been a 2 years since i7-4770k - I bet the new i7-6700k will be like +10% increase in CPU department - is that good for you is that something that Intel should be praised about??? Or tell me - will you upgrade your CPU and platform for those iGPU gains only?

Processor Core i5-3350P @3.5GHz
Motherboard MSI Z77MA-G45 (uATX)
Cooling Stock Intel
Memory 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) |Ξ \/ G /\ GeForce GTX 670 FTW+ 4GB w/Backplate, Part Number: 04G-P4-3673-KR, ASIC 68.5%
Storage some cheap seagates and one wd green
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp U2412M
Case some cheap old eurocase, black, with integrated cheap lit lcd for basic monitoring
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Enermax Triathlor 550W ETA550AWT bronze, non-modular, airflow audible over 300W power draw
Mouse PMSG1G
Keyboard oldschool membrane Keytronic 104 Key PS/2 (big enter, right part of right shift broken into "\" key)
will you upgrade your CPU and platform for those iGPU gains only?

dont give them money until they come up with an acceptable solution.. you are the customer, you drive them..

System Name THU
Processor Intel Core i5-13600KF
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z790-P D4
Cooling SilentiumPC Fortis 3 v2 + Arctic Cooling MX-2
Memory Crucial Ballistix 2x16 GB DDR4-3600 CL16 (dual rank)
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4070 Ventus 3X OC 12 GB GDDR6X (2610/21000 @ 0.91 V)
Storage Lexar NM790 2 TB + Corsair MP510 960 GB + PNY XLR8 CS3030 500 GB + Toshiba E300 3 TB
Display(s) LG OLED C8 55" + ASUS VP229Q
Case Fractal Design Define R6
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V381 + Monitor Audio Bronze 6 + Bronze FX | FiiO E10K-TC + Sony MDR-7506
Power Supply Corsair RM650
Mouse Logitech M705 Marathon
Keyboard Corsair K55 RGB PRO
Software Windows 10 Home
Benchmark Scores Benchmarks in 2024?
My God, this is so pathetic. Seriously, how many unlocked CPU users need the iGPU? I am so sick of Intel's bullshit decisions. the iGPU takes up more than half the die, and most people have no use for it.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
My God, this is so pathetic. Seriously, how many unlocked CPU users need the iGPU? I am so sick of Intel's bullshit decisions. the iGPU takes up more than half the die, and most people have no use for it.

They would have to make a a vastly different chip only to use it in two CPUs, which seems wasteful.

System Name THU
Processor Intel Core i5-13600KF
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z790-P D4
Cooling SilentiumPC Fortis 3 v2 + Arctic Cooling MX-2
Memory Crucial Ballistix 2x16 GB DDR4-3600 CL16 (dual rank)
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4070 Ventus 3X OC 12 GB GDDR6X (2610/21000 @ 0.91 V)
Storage Lexar NM790 2 TB + Corsair MP510 960 GB + PNY XLR8 CS3030 500 GB + Toshiba E300 3 TB
Display(s) LG OLED C8 55" + ASUS VP229Q
Case Fractal Design Define R6
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V381 + Monitor Audio Bronze 6 + Bronze FX | FiiO E10K-TC + Sony MDR-7506
Power Supply Corsair RM650
Mouse Logitech M705 Marathon
Keyboard Corsair K55 RGB PRO
Software Windows 10 Home
Benchmark Scores Benchmarks in 2024?
No, they just prefer to sell big chips without iGPUs for 500-1000 $.

Lynnfield was 296 mm2 and it used to cost 196 $. Ivy Bridge-E was 257 mm2 and it used to cost 583 $. IVB-E should have been the standard desktop CPU for S1155, but that would not have been right for Intel.

Broadwell and Skylake would be microscopic without the giant iGPUs (much smaller than 100 mm2), and they could cost less than 100 $. But instead they snap on that useless iGPU and make everyone pay for it, even if they have no use for it whatsoever.

It's not the increase in transistor count that matters. It's the transistor count.

Imagine what AMD could have achieved with that density in 2007.

I'll quote a famous movie here. "I don't think that word means what you think it means."

If you're arguing that transistor density, as a way to approximate transistor count and assuming planar transistors, is the reason Intel has bettered their graphics you are demonstrably incorrect. I proved that a 9% increase in raw transistor count goes from meh graphical fidelity to very decent performance. This change occured in less than 5 years, which means no substantial shift in software could account for the increased performance.

Assuming that your argument is that simply throwing more transistors at the problem is the solution, that is also a demonstrably incorrect. A 10000% increase in transistor count had us go from 2.5 dimensional characters to rough 3 dimensional characters. This took a decade, patents limiting competition, and fundamentally new software.

Where is your argument? I cannot see any salient point, unless your argument is that Intel has discovered a fundamentally different way to build transistors in the last 5 years, which allow them to work much faster.

As to AMD having that transistor count in 2007, who gives a crap? That transistor count would have cost AMD an insane fortune. As they had only recently acquired ATI, where was that money going to come from? AMD made the only fiscally responsible choice, and they put out what they could afford. It wasn't the fastest chip, it was a budget performer. Phenom competed well enough with Core2, if only in the budgetary arena. None of this even begins to address our current situation.

"Most people" is a useless term. You don't provide any view of what this elusive majority is. You don't even cite a basic knowledge of the market. Let's rectify that, for your sake, and those who espouse the same ideology.
http://www.macrumors.com/2014/11/07/apple-mac-us-pc-record/
-This article cites an IDC study, in which the top two PC creators are Lenovo and HP.
http://www.statista.com/statistics/233818/share-of-product-sales-in-total-sales-of-lenovo/
-This article shows that most of Lenovo's products are business oriented. In decline, year after year, is the Desktop PC. The desktop is where a GPU added would not significantly impact lifespan of the product, as they would be plugged in constantly.

It therefore is reasonable to conclude the following:
1) Most PC sales are driven by business users.
2) Most PC sales are of goods where increased battery life would be a big benefit.
3) iGPUs can save a substantial amount of energy, by removing a discrete GPU.
4) Intel's largest market is the one they cater to, and it is the market of business users.

It is understandable that a power user, on a desktop, would not want an iGPU. It is not reasonable for Intel to design a radically different piece of silicon for markets that would not have enough sales to justify the expenditure. It is not reasonable for business users to lug 10 pounds of battery around, so they can have a 3 hour battery life to look at a bunch of spreadsheets (business usage, in a nut shell). Intel caters to their largest consumer base, they include an iGPU, and you have the chutzpah to say their decisions are "bullshit." Perhaps a moment more introspection, and a bit less focus on what you believe you are entitled to, is something sorely lacking. You may not like the suggestion, but people rarely like to be called on their entitlement.

peche

Thermaltake fanboy
System Name Athenna
Processor intel i7 3770 *Dellided*
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 Rev. 1.1
Cooling Thermaltake Water 3.0 Pro + Tt Riing12 x2 / Tt ThunderBlade / Gelid Slim 120UV fans
Memory 16GB DRR3 Kingoston with Custom Tt spreaders + HyperX Fan
Video Card(s) GeForce GTX 980 4GB Nvidia Sample
Storage Crucial M4 SSD 64GB's / Seagate Barracuda 2TB / Seagate Barracuda 320GB's
Display(s) 22" LG FLATRON 1920 x 1280p
Case Thermaltake Commander G42 Window
Audio Device(s) On-board Dolby 5.1+ Kingston HyperX Cloud 1
Power Supply Themaltake TR2 700W 80plus bronce & APC Pro backup 1000Va
Mouse Tt eSports Level 10M Rev 1.0 Diamond Black & Tt Conkor "L" mouse pad
Keyboard Tt eSports KNUCKER
Software windows 10x64Pro
Benchmark Scores well I've fried a 775' P4 12 years ago, that counts?
I wish Intel would stop doing iGPUs... cuz I do not need them... I will always choose mid-top range discrete GPU (and still - even a low end GPUs are far more capable than iGPU) - so that iGPU is waste of my money, time and TDP (Intel is like: "oh - look brand new iGPU +50% over previous gen, almost 4k capable - we did this all for you buddy, no matter that you do not and will not use iGPU - but our team worked 2 years (and in that time made only like 0-5% CPU gain) to give you this experience you will never use or need - lucky you, now pay extra for our useful work". I would choose, for that extra $ and extra TDP a +1% CPU power than +50% iGPU .. But there is no such a option (never was and never will be - and that sux).
agreed... i haven't used my integrated graphics, i wish intel make i7's without integrated graphics for desktop computers, or make both, integrated and non integrated,
Why the fk do I need strong GPU on a i7-K processor is beyond my comprehension! Usually people buying i7s are buying for gaming and multimedia. I only need very basic GPU and that's it. HUGE WASTE of transistors, therefore also big arse TDP. Seriously, sometimes I think those managers from Intel are worst than monkeys.
:laugh::toast::D
shared idea!!

...because it's a mainstream platform, skt1156/1155/1150 are all mainstream platforms with a full lineup of CPUs from entry to performance. Cool your jets and calm down. Maybe you should go work for them and design a new CPU if you shit don't stink. If you're really that bent out of shape about the platform then get a HEDT platform and stop complaining.
thats why i think they should offer the option for a i7 XX70K, XX90K or what ever skd "K" without integrated graphics ... just for gaming, also i5 's too... because of the mainstream use on gaming,

Go buy a six core i7 and stop complaining. Intel already made what you want. yeah, it cost way more, but guess what? a tiny market demands high prices. socket 1366 and 2011 exist for people like you.
false.. i dont need and not so much gamers needs a hexacore, could be nice to get the same mainstream processor with out the integrated graphics, that will lower down TDP and also temps,

i also recognize that mobile core processors take full advantage of integrated video, on several cases,

Regards,

johnspack

Here For Good!
System Name System2 Blacknet , System1 Blacknet2
Processor System2 Threadripper 1920x, System1 2699 v3
Motherboard System2 Asrock Fatality x399 Professional Gaming, System1 Asus X99-A
Cooling System2 Noctua NH-U14 TR4-SP3 Dual 140mm fans, System1 AIO
Memory System2 64GBS DDR4 3000, System1 32gbs DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) System2 GTX 980Ti System1 GTX 970
Storage System2 4x SSDs + NVme= 2.250TB 2xStorage Drives=8TB System1 3x SSDs=2TB
Display(s) 2x 24" 1080 displays
Case System2 Some Nzxt case with soundproofing...
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar U7 MKII
Power Supply System2 EVGA 750 Watt, System1 XFX XTR 750 Watt
Mouse Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum
Keyboard Ducky
Software Manjaro, Windows 10, Kubuntu 23.10
Benchmark Scores It's linux baby!
Ridiculous. I don't need to pay for an iGPU. I need threads to run virtual machines. I also don't need a supercomputer to do that. On my budget I'll have to go for a first gen hex xeon and a
Sabertooth or a Rampage III with usb3 and sata3. Still 500+ US used. Also ridiculous.....

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
thats why i think they should offer the option for a i7 XX70K, XX90K or what ever skd "K" without integrated graphics ... just for gaming, also i5 's too... because of the mainstream use on gaming,
That still doesn't change the part where the gaming community is small and very much a niche market. They have nothing to gain by giving gamers a different CPU, when they'll buy the one that's already on the market. It's cost and simplicity. When everything is the same, everything tends to work well together. iGPU or not, it still offers functionality you wouldn't otherwise have and when you're not using it, it gets power gated, so it's not like it even contributes to the CPU's TDP when it's not in use. Then you run into the argument that this fellow brings up.
More cores you want with that extra die space? Go HEDT. The fact is that most consumers do use the iGPU (I definitely do on my laptop for work,) and Intel isn't going to make their lives harder because people who are cheap and investing in a mainstream platform are being nit picky about features that typically are reserved for HEDT platforms (more cores, no iGPU, extra features). The simple fact is that 1150 as a platform doesn't change because you go from a Pentium to a k-edition i7. It's still the same platform, so you should expect the same kinds of features. It's like asking for an 6 or 8c CPU on FM3+ without an iGPU when you might as well just go AM3+.

Let's be realistic here, people are only complaining because their money didn't get them more CPU than they wish it did, which is a completely legitimate argument given AMD's lack of real competition, but it doesn't change the fact that it's still a mainstream platform and both AMD and Intel have up to 4 cores on their mainstream platforms. In reality, most people barely will use 2, forget 4 cores, except us people who work and play on PCs.

The market doesn't change because you wish it would. The reality is that there is no motivation to do what anyone here suggests from a marketing perspective. So it's unrealistic for Intel to change its ways unless there was a monetary reason to back it up.

Ridiculous. I don't need to pay for an iGPU. I need threads to run virtual machines. I also don't need a supercomputer to do that. On my budget I'll have to go for a first gen hex xeon and a
Sabertooth or a Rampage III with usb3 and sata3. Still 500+ US used. Also ridiculous.....
I'm sorry if this comes off as rude, but the market doesn't care what your needs are. It cares if you have money to pay for the product. Intel would rather get a big business to invest in 100 CPUs than for you to invest in one or two. For such a budget, AMD gets you more. At least AM3+ can run ECC memory and can do PCI-E pass-thru without breaking the bank.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
if Intel ever decided to get serious about graphics neither nvida or AMD would stand a chance

its not a matter of not knowing how intel simply didn't care about the graphics segment but they have hit a wall with making faster x86 cores so now they are starting to focus on graphics
AMD and Nvidia better watch there backs in just 3 generation's intel now have a chip built from scratch capable of running with dedicated entry level cards.
yall care to wager what they could do if they really wanted it ?

Last edited:
if Intel ever decided to get serious about graphics neither nvida or AMD would stand a chance

its not a matter of not knowing how intel simply didn't care about the graphics segment but they have hit a wall with making faster x86 cores so now they are starting to focus on graphics
AMD and Nvidia better watch there backs in just 3 generation's intel now have a chip built from scratch capable of running with dedicated entry level cards.

Short answer: Nothing.

Long answer: Intel has one of two avenues to attack the graphics market. The first is to either violate patent law or license out the patents both Nvidea and AMD hold. The second avenue is to plow enough money into the market to fundamentally rework how the graphics market does business.

In the case of licensing, you're going to hit problems rather quickly. Nvidea and AMD both have reasons to not want Intel competing in their market. Nvidea may work with Intel, but that's because Intel has been neutered when it comes to competing in the GPU market. AMD is competing with Intel in the low end CPU market, and they've seen attacks on the APU business by Intel already. Neither company wants Intel to release an iGPU that competes with $150-200 discrete cards by removing the overhead between CPU and interface bus, this would cut their GPU business to shreds. Even without touching the high-end GPU business, Intel could force Nvidea and AMD to be niche GPU producers. Neither company could afford for Intel to steal their mid level GPU business.

As far as patent infringement, that would not go well. There's very little reason to look at Intel and see anything but a lawsuit pinata. They've been caught in unethical and illegal business practices. They've been investigated for being an illegal monopoly. They've been sued by enough patent trolls to make the act of having an original thought at Intel akin to creating weaponized influenza (nobody wants to do it, given the horrible implications). Intel's legal team would kibosh the idea of patent infringement so fast that the person who suggested it wouldn't be able to remember how the pink slip was issued to them.

In the case of the later, Intel has almost nothing to gain. Let's hypothetically say Intel does this. They invest ten tears of research (the existing 5 where they've focused on iGPU and another 5 to develop competing patentable technologies), untold bilions of dollars, and they come out with a GPU that competes with mid tier discrete cards. Who buys it? Businesses look at the expense being close to a CPU + discrete GPU, and they ask why not just get a discrete GPU they can upgrade. Performance users (video editing, gaming, etc...) buy a higher tier video card to begin with, making the iGPU a transistor usage waste. The only way to recoup all that cost is to release their own line of video cards. Honestly, why? Intel would be going into a mature market with no discernable advantages. They'd be competing in a market that already has saturation with AMD and Nvidea. In order to get payback from their investment they'd have to not only steal market share, but release new products. Imagine a lawyer being advised that Intel was potentially working on another monopoly with the GPU business. Intel would be insane to do this, as risk so far outweighs reward on this proposition that nobody in their right mind would say yes.

TL;DR
Intel isn't trying to compete with Nvidea and AMD in the GPU market. They're trying to make business users happy, by having an integrated GPU capable of basic tasks. The point of a discrete GPU isn't about basic tasks, so conflating Intel's goals with dominating the GPU market is a bit silly. While the iGPU has made amazing strides recently, it isn't changing the world; Intel's improved iGPU is making it easier for business users to have a device that doesn't break the bank, but still does enough to cover their needs.

Edit:
Minor spelling changes. Curse you English, and my sometimes tenuous grip over you.

Last edited:

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Software MacOS 12.1

Except the part where Intel doesn't have rights to use shader technology which is why Intel's GPUs look a lot like chopped down x86 cores. I think if Intel ever replaced how they do graphics, a lot of good would come out of it.

With that said Iris Pro is capable of pumping out about 832GFLOPS of raw compute power which is about what each of my 6870s can do, which is very close to the 1TFLOP they really do, which is pretty good for integrated graphics. It makes me wonder if an overclock on one who those new C-edition CPUs can get that to 6870-like performance.

TL;DR
Intel isn't trying to compete with Nvidea and AMD in the GPU market. They're trying to make business users happy, by having an integrated GPU capable of basic tasks. The point of a discrete GPU isn't about basic tasks, so conflating Intel's goals with dominating the GPU market is a bit silly. While the iGPU has made amazing strides recently, it isn't changing the world; Intel's improved iGPU is making it easier for business users to have a device that doesn't break the bank, but still does enough to cover their needs.
I'm glad that at least one person understands what's going on here. :)

Last edited:

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
bahahhaha HD6200 walking all over AMD's APU's
muahahahahhahaha
so if intel where to make a graphics core a mear 20% faster then the 6200 (witch they could do very very easily) they would basically render AMD AND nvidia's entire entry level dedicated card/IGPU/APU solutions worthless
so again ill restate it if Intel deemed so they are perfectly capable or putting amd out of the market segment
and if they wanted to go in for the kill they could release a quad core cpu with 4670k level performance for <150.00 and that right there would be the end of AMD

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
bahahhaha HD6200 walking all over AMD's APU's
muahahahahhahaha
so if intel where to make a graphics core a mear 20% faster then the 6200 (witch they could do very very easily) they would basically render AMD AND nvidia's entire entry level dedicated card/IGPU/APU solutions worthless
so again ill restate it if Intel deemed so they are perfectly capable or putting amd out of the market segment
and if they wanted to go in for the kill they could release a quad core cpu with 4670k level performance for <150.00 and that right there would be the end of AMD
We haven't even seen how the iGPU on the new C edition CPUs handles compared to what we have now and there are a couple things that may change the game now. Take the eDRAM cache, can it overclock? DDR4, how will it impact iGPU performance over DDR3 now? ...and the iGPU cores themselves, how do they overclock? You throw all of that together and there is a big unknown as to how it will perform.

I can't wait to see a review. :)

Processor Intel 7700K 5.1Ghz (Intel advised me not to OC this CPU)
Motherboard Asus Maximus IX Code
Cooling Corsair Hydro H115i Platinum
Memory 48GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 3200 Dual Channel (2x16 & 2x8)
Video Card(s) nVIDIA Titan XP (Overclocks like a champ but stock performance is enough)
Storage Intel 760p 2280 2TB
Display(s) MSI Optix MPG27CQ Black 27" 1ms 144hz
Case Thermaltake View 71
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 1000 Platinum2
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro (not recommded, I am on my second mouse with same defect)
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 1803
Benchmark Scores Yes I am Intel fanboy that is my benchmark score.
My only reason why I am pissed is - when Intel releases new CPU, all tech sites and forums praises their iGPU gains - why??? (I did not argue that there is no iGPU - there is always +30% gains). Do you really need that product at all? I mean you are tech people - why you give Intel publicity and encouragements for product you will never use ( "never" -in next 5-10 year time span) if not - then shut up and "booo" Intel for tinny CPU gains, because it is been a 2 years since i7-4770k - I bet the new i7-6700k will be like +10% increase in CPU department - is that good for you is that something that Intel should be praised about??? Or tell me - will you upgrade your CPU and platform for those iGPU gains only?

Well said Sir. Hats off to you.

peche

Thermaltake fanboy
System Name Athenna
Cooling Thermaltake Water 3.0 Pro + Tt Riing12 x2 / Tt ThunderBlade / Gelid Slim 120UV fans
Storage Crucial M4 SSD 64GB's / Seagate Barracuda 2TB / Seagate Barracuda 320GB's
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Everyone moaning about wanting an intel CPU without graphics should look to Haswell-E.

peche

Thermaltake fanboy
System Name Athenna
Everyone moaning about wanting an intel CPU without graphics should look to Haswell-E.
not the same... is pretty expensive.....

Processor Intel 7700K 5.1Ghz (Intel advised me not to OC this CPU)
Motherboard Asus Maximus IX Code
Cooling Corsair Hydro H115i Platinum
Memory 48GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 3200 Dual Channel (2x16 & 2x8)
Video Card(s) nVIDIA Titan XP (Overclocks like a champ but stock performance is enough)
Storage Intel 760p 2280 2TB
Display(s) MSI Optix MPG27CQ Black 27" 1ms 144hz
Case Thermaltake View 71
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 1000 Platinum2
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro (not recommded, I am on my second mouse with same defect)
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 1803
Benchmark Scores Yes I am Intel fanboy that is my benchmark score.
not the same... is pretty expensive.....

Expensive and its not as energy efficient But the iGPU on 6770k is a complete waste for most.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
Expensive and its not as energy efficient But the iGPU on 6770k is a complete waste for most.
When fully loaded, sure. The thing is that even my 3820 doesn't consume much power at idle unless I'm overclocking it in a way that has power saving essentially disabled (bclk straps seem to override speedstep on my machine.) Also it's not that the CPUs are expensive. I got my 3820 brand new when SB-E was the latest and greatest for 300 USD which was cheaper than the 2600k and 2700k. The problem was that the cost of motherboards on skt2011 was significantly more expensive, so for me since I was already spending considerably more on the motherboard, I went all out and the the P9X79 Deluxe after talking to @cadaveca about it several years ago.

Either way, when my machine is completely at stock, pulls 150 watts from the wall, which is pretty low if you consider low efficency due to a small draw on a big power supply and the fact that I have 5 HDDs and 2 SSDs and 7 case fans getting driven. So if you put it all together, even my lowly 3820 in reality sips power when it's doing nothing... but even at full load I would expect a CPU with twice as many memory channels, 2MB more L3 cache, and 24 more PCI-E lanes than its 1155 counter part, you're damn straight it's going to use a little more power. The point is that it's a lot less than you think it is though and the dynamic changes when you actually use it.

tl;dr: skt2011 and 2011-3 are more power efficient that you think, particularly when the thing is idling... but yeah, twice as many PCI-E lanes, memory channels, and 2MB more L3 cache (quads,) is going to draw more power, it's more hardware to drive unlike the idle iGPU on mainstream CPUs.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Run cooler?

Let me ask this: what has a higher temperature... a lighter with a yellow flame, or a bonfire with yellow flames?

(Answer: they are both the same temperature, but the bonfire clearly has more energy!)

Oh lilhasselhoffer...................... LOL!